• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is "Curse of Oak Island" totally fake or just partially fake?

Started by zeebo, November 18, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

ziznak

Quote from: The General on December 17, 2015, 03:34:01 PM
I'm fascinated by the legend.
The Holy Grail is probably down there. 
With this guy guarding it...

the carpenter's cup!!! choose the carpenters cup!!!

the_peeve

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3364818/Did-ROMANS-discover-America-Sword-Oak-Island-suggests-ancient-mariners-set-foot-New-World-Columbus-according-radical-theory.html

They found a Roman sword near the coastline of the Island this week. It is supposedly part of a Roman boat that authorities know lays off the island. The problem is Nova Scotia has a rule about exploration of such things. It would just take time for new authority to be written. If true, and the swords seems legit so far, it rewrites history of who really landed first in North America.

Big win for the show.

zeebo

Quote from: Brody on December 17, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
... The brothers split on the results of why nothing was seen and we moved on. 

This is pretty much the ending of every show.

the_peeve

yeah, this show has nothing to do about treasure. Or it wouldn't be a show and people would be digging fast and furious at night.

Papa Lazarou

Quote from: the_peeve on December 17, 2015, 07:03:43 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3364818/Did-ROMANS-discover-America-Sword-Oak-Island-suggests-ancient-mariners-set-foot-New-World-Columbus-according-radical-theory.html

They found a Roman sword near the coastline of the Island this week. It is supposedly part of a Roman boat that authorities know lays off the island. The problem is Nova Scotia has a rule about exploration of such things. It would just take time for new authority to be written. If true, and the swords seems legit so far, it rewrites history of who really landed first in North America.

Big win for the show.

Buy your own for just 75 euros: http://www.ebay.it/itm/PARTICOLARE-SCULTURA-COMMEMORATIVA-SPADA-BRONZEA-ROMANA-CON-IMPUGNATURA-STATUA-/301746768453

Who salted the mine, History Channel or the Laginas? Or maybe that Pulitzer guy.

I might have to see this latest season after all.

Centurion40

Quote from: Brody on December 17, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
The most recent guy watched a robot cam in 10x which showed a pole, which then vanished. The cam did not go to the floor level, where the trunk and body are supposedly, so with zero evidence of treasure he said he wouldn't suggest sending himself down there at the price he would charge. The brothers split on the results of why nothing was seen and we moved on. 

Meanwhile, off the air a big find seems to have come out.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/roman-sword-discovered-oak-island-radically-suggests-ancient-mariners-020663

It's interesting that you've posted this.  I was thinking, whilst watching a promo for the current season, that if something significant was actually found, it would have made the news over the summer and scooped any dramatic 'reveal' that would have been on the show.

Quote from: Centurion40 on December 18, 2015, 08:44:48 AM
It's interesting that you've posted this.  I was thinking, whilst watching a promo for the current season, that if something significant was actually found, it would have made the news over the summer and scooped any dramatic 'reveal' that would have been on the show.

^^^^^
This!

the_peeve

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/news/local/startling-new-report-on-oak-island-could-rewrite-history-of-the-americas-1-7118097

"...Praising the TV show, Pulitzer said Curse of Oak Island had ‘captured people’s imaginations’ by offering viewers the exciting opportunity to see history unfold on their television sets. However, he criticized the show’s producers for showing little interest in alternative theories outside those of the Knights Templar, as he says ‘that is what they think audiences are hoping to see’.

“Google will tell you that most of the searches for ‘Oak Island’ also include a reference to the Knights Templar,” said Pulitzer. “Television uses this information to appeal to the fans of those types of theories. But I’m a historian and forensic researcher. My job is to not believe any particular theory, but let the evidence tell me where to go.”

"On the show Pultizer told the Lagina brothers he believed the area of Oak Island was visited in the past by Templars - but that they were ‘looking for something’ - the same as teams are today."

That's my main criticism of the show. All this Knights Templar bullshit. Here you have something standing in your face that dares to show that Romans were the first to discover the Americas, and would wipe Columbus out of the history books, but the show wants to centre on Knights Templar, because of some fucking movie made it a popular notion.
You got a fucking Roman boat sunken offshore, but lets centre on these Knights Templars.

albrecht

Quote from: the_peeve on December 19, 2015, 12:05:11 PM
http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/news/local/startling-new-report-on-oak-island-could-rewrite-history-of-the-americas-1-7118097

"...Praising the TV show, Pulitzer said Curse of Oak Island had ‘captured people’s imaginations’ by offering viewers the exciting opportunity to see history unfold on their television sets. However, he criticized the show’s producers for showing little interest in alternative theories outside those of the Knights Templar, as he says ‘that is what they think audiences are hoping to see’.

“Google will tell you that most of the searches for ‘Oak Island’ also include a reference to the Knights Templar,” said Pulitzer. “Television uses this information to appeal to the fans of those types of theories. But I’m a historian and forensic researcher. My job is to not believe any particular theory, but let the evidence tell me where to go.”

"On the show Pultizer told the Lagina brothers he believed the area of Oak Island was visited in the past by Templars - but that they were ‘looking for something’ - the same as teams are today."

That's my main criticism of the show. All this Knights Templar bullshit. Here you have something standing in your face that dares to show that Romans were the first to discover the Americas, and would wipe Columbus out of the history books, but the show wants to centre on Knights Templar, because of some fucking movie made it a popular notion.
You got a fucking Roman boat sunken offshore, but lets centre on these Knights Templars.
Weren't the Templars "Roman," at least by charter and support? And pretty sure the vikings have already wiped the Columbus "first" claim and is verified though not as celebrated. Having said that I never watched this tv show but enjoyed reading about the legend of Oak Island as a kid.

onan

Quote from: albrecht on December 19, 2015, 12:13:31 PM
Weren't the Templars "Roman," at least by charter and support? And pretty sure the vikings have already wiped the Columbus "first" claim and is verified though not as celebrated. Having said that I never watched this tv show but enjoyed reading about the legend of Oak Island as a kid.

Actually, Eurasians discovered the American continent. They just neglected to write home about it.

WOTR

Quote from: The General on December 11, 2015, 11:23:34 AM
Makes me sad how the History channel just does weird vaguely historical reality shows now.  I remember 20 years ago it was really cool educational TV, a refreshing blast of informative documentaries 24 hours a day.  At least that's how I remember it.  It had a big WW2 documentary bias, it seems.  It was great.  You're lucky to get any history at all on there now. 

Fucking "Swamp People", are you kidding me?
I would say that I got rid of television around 15 years ago- but every now and then I have access to it (the last two weeks in a hotel, for instance.)  I still am dumb enough when I see A+E to think that it will have on "arts and entertainment" or that the history channel will be showing the documentaries that I recall.  Both were excellent channels with great programming way back when.

The last trip I did not even flip through the history channel (though I think criminal minds was on A+E.)  Pawnstars, married by my parents, hoarders, some show about Jessica and ____ Dugar and duck dynasty???  These were the advertisements that they showed to demonstrate "the best" of their channel and try to get viewers attention.

Perhaps not having television regular makes me a little harder to please- but I really struggled to find anything worth my time.

zeebo

Quote from: WOTR on December 19, 2015, 02:03:16 PM
... I still am dumb enough when I see A+E to think that it will have on "arts and entertainment" or that the history channel will be showing the documentaries that I recall.  Both were excellent channels with great programming way back when.

Heh I remember when Bravo actually had cool indie movies, and now it's wall-to-wall social-climbing, gender-bending, fashion-obsessed fake-reality shows.  Times have changed.  :-\

Papa Lazarou

No need to use Italian eBay, get your very own Oak Island sword from Walmart: http://www.andywhiteanthropology.com/blog/j-hutton-pulitzer-backpedals-on-roman-sword-claim-watches-his-credibility-circle-the-drain

Snooron's minions still manage to use a photo of a different sword: http://www.andywhiteanthropology.com/blog/watch-the-disinformation-proliferate-coast-to-coast-am-uses-photo-of-different-sword

Quote“The shipwreck is still there and has not been worked,” said Pulitzer. “We have scanned it, we know exactly where it lays, but it will be a touchy thing for the Nova Scotia government to allow an archaeological team to survey it. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Roman.

A Roman shipwreck would just be a mound of ballast & cargo at this point, so I really doubt that Pulitzer could identify it "beyond a shadow of a doubt" from a side scan sonar image.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Jovan really is a genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKn04HHr4II

Juan Cena

Quote from: The General on December 11, 2015, 11:23:34 AM
Makes me sad how the History channel just does weird vaguely historical reality shows now.  I remember 20 years ago it was really cool educational TV, a refreshing blast of informative documentaries 24 hours a day.  At least that's how I remember it.  It had a big WW2 documentary bias, it seems.  It was great.  You're lucky to get any history at all on there now. 

Fucking "Swamp People", are you kidding me?

I remember when conservatives would point to networks like Discovery, TLC, A&E, etc. As reasons why we didn't need to fund PBS. I wonder if any of them could point to an episode of "Honey Boo Boo" and say that now with a straight face.

onan

Quote from: Juan Cena on December 24, 2015, 11:24:47 PM
I remember when conservatives would point to networks like Discovery, TLC, A&E, etc. As reasons why we didn't need to fund PBS. I wonder if any of them could point to an episode of "Honey Boo Boo" and say that now with a straight face.

Yeah, this is capitalism. Not all of capitalism, but certainly enough to make the point that not all capitalism brings about the best in us.

Brody

This week's episode: They made an alliance with the island's other land owner, got all his notes, dug in his best spot and nothing.

The rest of the show was filler. I kind of hate that they don't show Fred Nolan's reaction to his big spot being a dud

Treading water....

Belles

Quote from: ItsOver on November 30, 2015, 08:43:42 PM
It really sucks with what's happened to the History Channel, much like what's happened to the Weather Channel.  Complete garbage.  Man, I miss those cool shows about Nazis and WWII.

So I'm  not the only unhappy with the Weather Channel.

zeebo

Quote from: Belles on December 26, 2015, 10:09:55 AM
So I'm  not the only unhappy with the Weather Channel.

I can't even go there for the actual weather anymore - what with all those grainy, shaky tornado vids.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: zeebo on December 26, 2015, 05:00:27 PM
I can't even go there for the actual weather anymore - what with all those grainy, shaky tornado vids.
"The History Channel" is owned by Disney and became just plain "History" some years back, when it went heavy into moron-level reality shows.  The WWII content is now on "Military History"; another Disney property. The proud 120 year old National Geographic Society  that once sponsored real exploration and research is now a for-profit owned 75% by Fox; peddling scripted "reality" shows as, well, reality.

pate

Dearest, I doan hari-kari how auld of a dowager yew arr!

I want to go straight Buccunaneer with ya'!

Oar at leastest a Letter of Marque?

Avast!

Swab the plank, dearie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjUY3pjN8E

Rix Gins

Quote from: pate on December 28, 2015, 04:36:26 AM
Dearest, I doan hari-kari how auld of a dowager yew arr!

I want to go straight Buccunaneer with ya'!

Oar at leastest a Letter of Marque?

Avast!

Swab the plank, dearie!

Thanks pate. In your own oddball way you made me realize that the real secret of Oak Island is no more real than the search for uranium riches was to the Ricardos and Mertzes (and Fred MacMurray) in the long ago television series (the one hour episodes) of I Love Lucy..

Brody

Has anyone re-watched the old episodes with extra footage and facts added?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: zeebo on December 19, 2015, 03:16:31 PM
Heh I remember when Bravo actually had cool indie movies, and now it's wall-to-wall social-climbing, gender-bending, fashion-obsessed fake-reality shows.  Times have changed.  :-\
Its all about ratings and ad revenue.  Most of the major cable channels began with small target content because it's dirt cheap. Originally, A&E was going to the ballet and literary drama channel.  PBS is the only TV organization interested in content for its own sake, and they're progressively becoming more commercial looking. CoOA began as interesting, but its clearly going nowhere and relying increasingly on cheap serial drama.  It's only success may be in killing off the myth for once and for all.

Juan

PBS and NPR aren't pure, either.  They get grants from big foundations to do shows on particular topics.  The only difference is what their funding is called.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Juan on January 10, 2016, 01:05:19 PM
PBS and NPR aren't pure, either.  They get grants from big foundations to do shows on particular topics.  The only difference is what their funding is called.
Someone's got to pay for it.  I usually learn a lot of unreported details about issues on programs like Frontline than we ever get on the commercial networks.  Funding is usually clearly called out too.  Affiliates pay too; "Downton Abbey" fans subsidize a lot of issue-oriented programming.

Brody

They confirmed on the Digging Deeper special that they had a diver explore the bottom of 10x! That's exciting!

ziznak

Quote from: Roswells, Art on December 28, 2015, 05:46:28 PM
Can confirm.
good... i think my most recent paychecks have limited me to a couple of "cheap" drunk nights at home and I'm looking for something to make me laugh while i sip my ghetto-brew.