• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Chinese programmer installs Windows 95 on iPhone 6

Started by jazmunda, November 16, 2014, 09:41:13 PM

jazmunda

http://www.cultofmac.com/302642/chinese-programmer-installs-windows-95-on-the-iphone-6/

Why? You might want to file this under the “why would you bother but my inner geek applauds you”. Yes that is impressive but I really struggle to see what you do from there.

Everything worked great, he says, except he discovered he couldn’t upgrade to Windows XP.

Quote from: jazmunda on November 16, 2014, 09:41:13 PM

Why? You might want to file this under the “why would you bother but my inner geek applauds you”. Yes that is impressive but I really struggle to see what you do from there.

This reminds me of the show where Art just bought Windows 95 and had people calling in about Windows 95 installation and if they could/should do it.

area51drone

Where does he go from here?   He plays all the fucking 90's games he wants.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 16, 2014, 09:47:00 PM
This reminds me of the show where Art just bought Windows 95 and had people calling in about Windows 95 installation and if they could/should do it.

That was an awesome show, I remember it too...

Kelt

Quote from: jazmunda on November 16, 2014, 09:41:13 PM
http://www.cultofmac.com/302642/chinese-programmer-installs-windows-95-on-the-iphone-6/

Everything worked great, he says, except he discovered he couldn’t upgrade to Windows XP.

Patching an ancient OS on a horrible piece of modern hardware... all he needs do now is install an app onto it that rapes children and we have a Perfect Storm O Reasons as to why all technology should be burned in the name of Ned Ludd.

Except for the Internets... you leave the Internets the fuck alone.

area51drone

At the time, Windows 95 kicked ass.  It was light years ahead of Windows 3.1, and IMO it was superior to the current Mac OS at the time.   I still enjoyed using xwindows back then, but I was never operating my own PC with it back then, although I could have been if I wanted to run unix.   But 95 had better multi-tasking and a much cleaner interface, plus all the good programs ran on 95.   When I had the chance, I ran NT, and since then I don't think much has really changed.  I still run XP on the computers I use the most.

Kelt

Windows 95 was pretty good... certainly saved a shitload of time and headaches trying to remember Command Lines for simple tasks.

To be honest I remember very little about the transition from DOS to Windows, but I do remember thinking that it was surely only a matter of days before we built a city on Mars, and the Interplanetary Rocketpantsâ,,¢ to get us there.

I remember Vista, though, and I recall it making me think it was surely only a matter of says before every computer on the planet went fuck-shaped and blew us all up with an unscheduled nuclear war.

I don't ever remember thinking anything about an Apple product without also thinking, "I wonder why people put up with this kind of shit?"

The answer, I discovered, is because the edges are rounded.

You can â,,¢ rounded edges.

So, fuck you the ends of a starfishes legs... Apple thought of that way before you did.

I just upgraded to Win95 in anticipation of the next version of Firefub.

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 16, 2014, 11:15:52 PM
I just upgraded to Win95 in anticipation of the next version of Firefub.

Firefub only officially supports Windows ME but you can try the unofficial backport for Win95 put together by a Russian malware consortium. 

Quote from: zeebo on November 16, 2014, 11:58:26 PM
Firefub only officially supports Windows ME but you can try the unofficial backport for Win95 put together by a Russian malware consortium.

Thanks zeebo.  The only information I could find was in Esperanto.

Quote from: Kelt on November 16, 2014, 11:01:38 PM
Windows 95 was pretty good... certainly saved a shitload of time and headaches trying to remember Command Lines for simple tasks.

To be honest I remember very little about the transition from DOS to Windows, but I do remember thinking that it was surely only a matter of days before we built a city on Mars, and the Interplanetary Rocketpantsâ,,¢ to get us there.

I used to use Norton Commander before that. NC was pretty good actually.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 17, 2014, 12:22:13 AM
I used to use Norton Commander before that. NC was pretty good actually.

Kinda reminds me of the glory days of WordPerfect, when word-processing meant bad-ass keyboard commands.  These spoiled GUI-raised kids can't appreciate those times.  Anyway I can always bring up vi on my linux box to recapture the spirit.

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on November 17, 2014, 12:39:57 AM
Kinda reminds me of the glory days of WordPerfect, when word-processing meant bad-ass keyboard commands.  These spoiled GUI-raised kids can't appreciate those times.  Anyway I can always bring up vi on my linux box to recapture the spirit.
real men use ed
or cat ,echo and sed.

b_dubb

vim is really popular with a lot of open source web developers

Quote from: zeebo on November 17, 2014, 12:39:57 AM
I like XTerm & EMacs. And yes, I'm a CLI junkie.

Quote from: wr250 on November 17, 2014, 06:00:32 AM
real men use ed
or cat ,echo and sed.
Heh heh heh
Don't forget awk, find, ls, and grep.

+2   ;)

Coffeeman

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 09, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
I like XTerm & EMacs. And yes, I'm a CLI junkie.

God, me too. I run Gentoo Linux as my main OS, and it's a PITA much of the time, but it's a thrill to watch it build.

scottydawg

Somehow over the years I saved the Windows 95 games file on a CF Card. I now have the file on my Samsung Q1 Ultra touchpad running Windows XP. The games work fine. It's fun playing Ski Free, Fuji Golf, Reversi, Minesweeper and Tri-Peaks. And of course the old version of Solitaire where you pick a card off the stacks and the others underneath don't automatically flip over! ;D