• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave finally admits that he is changing the direction of Coast

Started by WOTR, November 11, 2014, 02:38:02 AM

b_dubb

now that he has changed (ruined) coast he says he's going to change it.  maybe he'll return it to it's previous non-sucky state.

yeah prolly not

we can dreamz

One of my favorite Ian memories was one time when he got frustrated with a caller (yeah, that really narrows it down) and insisted Coast hadn't changed a bit.

Later with another caller he insisted Coast was 'always' changing.

I think both of those have been George's claim over the years as well, just not in so many words. 

George says and does whatever he wants on his sucky little show.  His approach is that whatever a person hears on one show has no relation to anything said on another show, he blathers as he goes along, and no one is supposed to notice.  Then again, George isn't listening, so why would he think people who have the show turned on are.

Wintermute

Someone posted that C2CAM was going to lose their NYC affiliate a while back. I don't know if that took place or not. I can tell you after doing some looking, that the two AM stations with the largest geographical coverage in the upper midwest only carry C2CAM on Saturdays and Sundays. And on Saturdays with late college sports coverage, that sports coverage usually takes the C2CAM air time.

Locally our Clear Channel 50K AM station dropped Glenn Beck for local talk from 2pm-6pm. Rush is still on the dial from 11am-2pm and C2CAM is on from 12-4am unless there is late sports coverage. That's correct, a 50K watt AM Clear Channel station only runs a few hours of national talk during daylight hours. There is a shift going on from National to Local even on the big stations.

So... C2C AM changing format for "current events" or political may not be a great move. Here is why: C2C was something different that didn't have a comparable challenger in the late night time slot. If they go to a political / events style format, they will have competition. There are a lot of late night shows in that subject space. Thus a lot more choice for AM stations.

C2C AM was an alternative. Sounds like it will just be another, albeit poorly hosted, show about current topics.

starrmtn001

Quote from: cweb on November 11, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
Jorch on changing the format: "And that just makes the show explode."
Yeah. Into a pit of suckage.
Forget the crack of thunder. The new rejoin sound for Coast should be a toilet flushing.

Quote from: qaddisin on November 11, 2014, 02:04:37 PM
If you're going to completely replace the furniture of the house, you need to go ahead and get drapes and curtains that match.

The sound of a toilet flushing associated with gn is redundant.  One can always hear the flush of a toilet when gn speaks.
gn replaced The House Of Coast To Coast with his own house, imbued with his own personality.  No drapes or carpets necessary.

Juan Cena

Quote from: scottydawg on November 12, 2014, 07:32:22 PM
Also have you noticed all the Public Services ads? They use these to fill in the commercial time nobody bought. How many times do we hear the "Search Dog" ad every hour? ::)

Since I listen on Sirius/XM I don't hear them. Just the usual gunk like Carnivora.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Wintermute on November 17, 2014, 12:11:00 PM
Someone posted that C2CAM was going to lose their NYC affiliate a while back. I don't know if that took place or not. I can tell you after doing some looking, that the two AM stations with the largest geographical coverage in the upper midwest only carry C2CAM on Saturdays and Sundays. And on Saturdays with late college sports coverage, that sports coverage usually takes the C2CAM air time.

Locally our Clear Channel 50K AM station dropped Glenn Beck for local talk from 2pm-6pm. Rush is still on the dial from 11am-2pm and C2CAM is on from 12-4am unless there is late sports coverage. That's correct, a 50K watt AM Clear Channel station only runs a few hours of national talk during daylight hours. There is a shift going on from National to Local even on the big stations.

So... C2C AM changing format for "current events" or political may not be a great move. Here is why: C2C was something different that didn't have a comparable challenger in the late night time slot. If they go to a political / events style format, they will have competition. There are a lot of late night shows in that subject space. Thus a lot more choice for AM stations.

C2C AM was an alternative. Sounds like it will just be another, albeit poorly hosted, show about current topics.

I'm assuming that by a "change of direction into current events," Snorge means more of the Alex Jones-type fringe politics, as opposed to the usual Right-ring spanks reading off the GOP talking points.

Nick el Ass

So Noory wants to do a show like every other one that is on the radio during the day... my question is why in the hell won't he admit that he was/is the wrong man for C2C, and give the show to someone who give a shit about late night and strange stuff? Start your own shitty show, and then you can talk about dead kids all you want Dave.

b_dubb

Quote from: Nick el Ass on November 18, 2014, 03:58:07 AM

The image of dude performing CPR on one of the Chipmunks is pretty appropriate for the condition of Coast.  If dude is a bumbling radio host and Alvin is a formerly awesome late night talk show that's been driven into the ground.

pyewacket

This really makes me wonder who is advising George. Is this his idea or is it an executive decision based on his inability to keep the show viable in it's original format?

Years ago, I was a CSPAN junkie and listened to a lot of conservative talk radio. I have my own POV and didn't agree on everything they said. I do enjoy a good debate between skilled, informed people.

Does George really think he's up for this? It's one thing to provide a soap box for the fringe element to promote their doomsday/conspiracy scenarios- it's quite another to interview real political pundits. I doubt that anyone from the mainstream who has heard the show would agree to be associated with it. If George had to deal with the real political field, I think he'd be eaten alive. I'm not poking fun at him, just pointing out reality.

My guess is that this will be a Fantasy Island version of a political talk show.

albrecht

IF the rumors and speculation was true that JBW's C2C shows were getting better ratings than Norry's maybe he say that JBW was going "more political" and "more political crazy" and so his handlers dropped Wells and told Norry that this is the direction you need to run the show? He certainly can't do a decent job on it (but, then again, fails at doing the paranormal or UFO subject well either.)

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on November 18, 2014, 01:03:14 PM
IF the rumors and speculation was true that JBW's C2C shows were getting better ratings than Norry's maybe he say that JBW was going "more political" and "more political crazy" and so his handlers dropped Wells and told Norry that this is the direction you need to run the show? He certainly can't do a decent job on it (but, then again, fails at doing the paranormal or UFO subject well either.)

Good point!

Quote from: pyewacket on November 18, 2014, 01:00:11 PM
This really makes me wonder who is advising George. Is this his idea or is it an executive decision based on his inability to keep the show viable in it's original format?

Years ago, I was a CSPAN junkie and listened to a lot of conservative talk radio. I have my own POV and didn't agree on everything they said. I do enjoy a good debate between skilled, informed people.

Does George really think he's up for this? It's one thing to provide a soap box for the fringe element to promote their doomsday/conspiracy scenarios- it's quite another to interview real political pundits. I doubt that anyone from the mainstream who has heard the show would agree to be associated with it. If George had to deal with the real political field, I think he'd be eaten alive. I'm not poking fun at him, just pointing out reality.

My guess is that this will be a Fantasy Island version of a political talk show.

I think George got a taste of that last night when he asked his financial guest about Ferguson, and the guest flew off the handle for a good ten minutes before and after the commercial break

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 18, 2014, 01:59:18 PM
I think George got a taste of that last night when he asked his financial guest about Ferguson, and the guest flew off the handle for a good ten minutes before and after the commercial break
That was the most amusing part of the show! Listening to Norry squirm uncomfortably, try to get a word in edgewise, etc. When he quickly cut to commercial I thought "Schiff is gone due to a phone problem" was surprised when he wasn't though.

pyewacket

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 18, 2014, 01:59:18 PM

I didn't listen and enjoy the recap you brave gabbers provide. Thank you. George doesn't have the stones for the political arena. He'll find out if he steps out of his comfort zone. I'd like to see him interviewed by them. He would either have to hang up on them or flounce off the stage in tears. Again, I'm not trying to be mean- just pointing out that he'd be out of his league. This is based on his nightly performance on C2C.

I suspect it would go something like this:

Richard Simmons acting silly on Neil Cavuto

pyewacket

Here's another one- sorry but this stuff is pure gold!  ;D I do like Richard- he does try to help people and speaks from the heart, I think. Not sure if George could do as well.

Neil Cavuto Interviews Richard Simmons

Wintermute

No one is advising Snorry. He doesn't own the show. Premier Radio owns it and has final say as to it's direction. My guess is that Snorry gets paid good money to be a "yes man" and grapefruit shows 4-times a week. You know what? If I made Snorry money, I might do the same thing except I'd listen to my guests and ask good questions.

I think C2C started changing course shortly after the Snorry vs The Ouija Board show occured. Remember that debacle? Gorch was scared of what may happen. After weeks of pimping the event, he and his in-studio crew backed out. That was the end of the old-style show IMO.

Wintermute

More on the Ouija Board:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/coast%20to%20coast%20am?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3OPY6ZISXF8QA&cdThread=Tx3IZ34DQKCUUK2

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2010/03/ouija-board-gift-took-coast-to-coast-host-to-brink-of-unfathomable-chaos/

Inteview:

Over the past decade, who stands out in your head, either guests or callers?

You know, they are, for me, all different. But I remember interviewing a guy named Benjamin Creme, who said he represents the Maitreya, who he believes to be the Messiah, but everyone else believes to be the next Antichrist. And while I’m interviewing this guy, people are getting sick. They are sending me messages through my FastBlast system, saying, “I’m getting nauseated.” And I was getting to the point where I wasn’t feeling too good and I had to end the interview early and go to Open Lines. That was weird. I was going to do a show on a Ouija board, and I had three guests. One was opposed to the show, one was in favor of the show, and one just didn’t care. And I was going to do this entire three-hour block on a Ouija board. And I decided not to do it, because people were sending me messages, saying well, what happens if something happens to me, or this or that? I did get emails from people who were upset that I didn’t go through with that topic, and were having Ouija board pizza parties. [Laughs.] But I decided in mid-stream, no, I’m not going to do this show.

Quote from: Wintermute on November 18, 2014, 04:11:57 PM
... Snorry vs The Ouija Board show occured. Remember that debacle? Gorch was scared of what may happen. After weeks of pimping the event, he and his in-studio crew backed out. That was the end of the old-style show IMO.

It was also the beginning of 'The Original George Noory Sucks' thread at that other forum

Wintermute

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 18, 2014, 10:46:32 PM
It was also the beginning of 'The Original George Noory Sucks' thread at that other forum

Ahhh... very nice. Glad I wasn't alone on that one!

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 13, 2014, 06:34:29 PM
Worse.  He's going to stay until there's a studio in Hawaii.

Oh man, that's funny. Very nice.

Quote from: cweb on November 11, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
How can they be gaining stations but losing listeners? You can't blame it all on the decline of AM.

He keeps saying they've added over 200 stations. He forgets to mention they are tiny 10 watt stations. They've probably lost most of their 50,000 watt stations.

cweb

Quote from: norrykilledc2c on November 19, 2014, 11:06:25 PM
He keeps saying they've added over 200 stations. He forgets to mention they are tiny 10 watt stations. They've probably lost most of their 50,000 watt stations.
Someone should start an affiliate station called WGNS and see if Noory notices.

yoego

Quote from: cweb on November 20, 2014, 08:40:06 PM
im thinking of tattooing gns on my forehead, IN CAPS!

paladin1991

Quote from: cweb on November 20, 2014, 08:40:06 PM
I think that should be part of the intro to the Gabcast: " Coming to you, comatose and brain dead!, fm the basement of moms house to the sphincter of your existence, station WGNS is sucking hard and large!  It's The Gabcast!"

Wintermute

Quote from: norrykilledc2c on November 19, 2014, 11:06:25 PM
[size=78%]He keeps saying they've added over 200 stations. He forgets to mention they are tiny 10 watt stations. They've probably lost most of their 50,000 watt stations.[/size]

Just to be fair, 50Kw isn't required to get a large geographic coverage pattern. Where you are at on the dial (lower the better) and where you are at topologically (very large, flat area) and in relation to population bases are far bigger factors. 550AM out of Bismark has a far greater range at 5Kw than 1110AM out of Omaha which is at 50Kw.

550AM does carry Snoory and Ground Zero / Clyde Lewis interestingly enough.

Wintermute

A little background on upper midwest 5Kw stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNAX_%28AM%29

WNAX does not carry Snoory on the weekdays.

cweb

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 21, 2014, 11:59:42 AM
I think that should be part of the intro to the Gabcast: " Coming to you, comatose and brain dead!, fm the basement of moms house to the sphincter of your existence, station WGNS is sucking hard and large!  It's The Gabcast!"
haha, "From the shitty of Angelsh..."

pyewacket

I don't doubt that the show is shifting away from the paranormal topics that made it popular in the first place. I'm not sure if they are going more political, or new age, or alternative medicine, or what. They seem to be all over the page. Some shows may be trial balloons to see if they gain audience or not. Maybe he's taking his inspiration from Oprah. IMO- it's a hot mess- that's why I don't listen.

Which of these new(ish) topics - let's face it- they've all been done to death- irritate you the most?
I'm tired of all the "positive thinking" / the secret / power of attraction themes. So cliché. If it really worked there'd be a noticeable difference in society- wouldn't there? If it doesn't work - then you're doing it wrong. What about George's negative friend who seems to have a dark cloud over his head? Psychic vampires Blah... blah...blah...

Quote from: Wintermute on November 17, 2014, 12:11:00 PM

That might've been me. Art snagged WABC and Noory lost WABC,  when it did some housecleaning under the new owners, and then C2C moved to WOR, down the dial but still a Class-A station like WABC. They carry M-F shows and Sunday only. There's a lot of heavy hitter competition in the political/events format, and I don't see Noory holding his own against it. I agree that when they were the only paranormal show, they had a dedicated audience which Art built up. I just don't see Noory having the same dedicated base as Art, and political/current event shows are a dime a dozen around here so good luck with that.