• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Two spaceship incidents in one week

Started by Ms. C, October 31, 2014, 02:12:01 PM

Ms. C

Two spaceship horrific incidents in one week.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/10/31/virgin-galactic-spaceship-encounters-inflight-anomaly-during-test-flight/

1 Dead, 1 Injured After Virgin Galactic Spaceship Crashes During Test Flight Over Mojave Desert

All in all, a dismal week for the fledgling commercial space flight field.

b_dubb

NASA lost people during the race to the moon. The Soviets lost people too but suppressed their deaths and hid any evidence these people ever existed. Soviet Russia turned being an asshole into an art form

albrecht

Think of how many people die in their souped up cars every year (or even just regular car for that matter.)  And imagine what kind of power we are trying to harness getting up into space etc. Frankly I'm amazed every-time we are successful launching rockets into space.

jazmunda

Why can't things like the Kardashoans and reality tv blow up instead.

Quote from: b_dubb on October 31, 2014, 05:18:48 PM
NASA lost people during the race to the moon. The Soviets lost people too

True enough, but we are talking about ventures to commercialize space flight.  The "confidence" being rattled is amongst those who assume a certain level of safety, say on par with commercial airliners, given 50+ years of experience with it.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on October 31, 2014, 05:27:29 PM

have you tried calling in to these shows ?

Kelt

Quote from: jazmunda on October 31, 2014, 05:27:29 PM

On the plus side Honey Boo Boo is gone.

On the negative side, they'll almost certainly replace it with something even dumber.

wr250

Quote from: Kelt on October 31, 2014, 06:31:27 PM
On the plus side Honey Boo Boo is gone.

On the negative side, they'll almost certainly replace it with something even dumber.

bee-yund bleef ?

Uncle Duke

Anytime a solid propellant rocket motor blows up, it's almost always a result of the case being over pressurized, usually because the propellant grain breaks up and/or something internal to the case comes loose at initiation.  Not only does this increase the surface area of the propellant making it more energetic as it burns, but also can block, or at least decease the throat area of the nozzle. Either condition can cause a catastrophic over pressure situation, resulting in the rupture of the motor case.

I'd be curious to see their system level test plan on the motor.  If that was a military qualified item, it would have undergone an extensive qualification program where multiple motors would have been exposed to a matrixed series of environmental conditionings before being statically fired under simulated, but extreme flight conditions.  This contractor may have used the military specs/standards for solid rocket motor design and test as a guideline, but it's doubtful they did a complete mil qual program because of the cost involved. 

eyenoeyeno

Well, if it were still Mercury fucking retrograde we could just pass it of as some fucked off horoscope shit. 
But it's not, so we can't.

Ohh..wait.  maybe too many important tasks were set in that time frame? 
Surely that's the case.  You would think they would know that, being space explorers and what not.  Rocket scientists,  huh, sure you are!

jazmunda

My spidey sense, honed from years and years of C2CAM indoctrination, tell me it was aliens.

Also I'm addicted to HGH.