• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

legends for all seasons

Started by maureen, October 24, 2014, 04:10:23 PM

maureen

I dedícate this legend to all who love spooky, wonderous tales. It comes from colonial Mexico.

The Mulatta of Córdoba

In the 18th C. colonial Córdoba, Veracruz lived a beautiful mulatta of unknown origen and unknown age. She was wise in herb lore and arts and astronomy. She had many unrequited suitors. Eventually, the Holy Inquisition  accused her of witchcraft and imprisoned her in a dungeon of San Juan de Ulloa. One day her jailer saw that she had drawn a sailing ship on the wall of her cell. She drew detail after detail. "What does it need?" she asked the jailer.  "Nothing ... it could set sail now!" he replied. With that the beautiful mulatta sprang aboard her painted ship and sailed off into the corner of the dungeon, never to be seen again.

Kelt

So then safe to say she probably hadn't been wrongfully arrested.

maureen

Quote from: Kelt on October 24, 2014, 04:17:45 PM
So then safe to say she probably hadn't been wrongfully arrested.
Perhaps a victim of the times.. and the jealousy.

Maureen, that was a great story; it could easily be made longer and more detailed and fit for publishing!

maureen

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 24, 2014, 04:25:42 PM
Maureen, that was a great story; it could easily be made longer and more detailed and fit for publishing!
Thanks, West. Indeed it is rich in potential for artistic expression. There is an opera, an animated short film, .... even an audio clip of the story in English. I can see the artists of bellgab dong a rendition....  ;)

I always dug the spooky story of the couple who had a horned and hooved baby that they abandoned in the desert out of fear and then encountered again years later (to their doom)... Their car breaks down and the husband says he'll go look for help... You probably all remember the rest.

Kelt

Quote from: maureen on October 24, 2014, 04:23:04 PM
Perhaps a victim of the times.. and the jealousy.

Well, witchcraft was illegal, and she kinda demonstrated she was a witch by doing that whole 'magic boat' thing.

What I take from that legend is that 18th Century Cordoba had first a first rate police force.

Quote from: Kelt on October 26, 2014, 04:34:51 PM
What I take from that legend is that 18th Century Cordoba had first a first rate police force.

And a very efficient capital punishment system.

maureen

I blame the Holy Inquisition and the misogynist rule against independent, intelligent women.... and there is an element of wonder- What if one could paint oneself out of it!!!