• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Marysville Shooting

Started by yumyumtree, October 24, 2014, 03:52:16 PM

yumyumtree

It doesn't look like anybody else has started a thread on the Pilchuck h.s. shooting, so I will. I found out at 11:30 PST during the news break while I was listening to Glenn Beck and getting ready for yoga. I understand two are dead.  I don't know if they are counting the shooter, who I guess shot himself. Marysville is the next little burg north of Everett, where I live.  So when they say "hospital", I don't know if they mean Providence Everett or Harborview, the Level 1 trauma center in Seattle.  According to the Medved show, the kid was from a prominent Tulalip family and had some some disturbing stuff on his Twitter account, well disturbing to Medved and Rockstar Greg(his answer to Tommy)

All I know is the problem ISN'T guns.  When I was a kid growing up in Montana in the 60s, were about as big a gun culture as you could get.  People owned firemarms, hunted, etc.  The vast majority of kids learned a respect for firearms whether or not they were a gunowning home, though most were, of course.  But this stuff never happened.  The worst thing I remember was one not-too-bright kid who shot himself in the groin practicing quick draws.  Miraculously he recovered quickly and as far as I know didn't suffer permanent damage.

Kelt

School shooting?

Is it Friday already?

VtaGeezer

The details will come out.  Lots of things have changed since the 60's. For 14-year olds, almost everything has changed.  The latest is that one of the victims was a 14 y.o. girl who turned him down for a date. 

yumyumtree

Yes, it seems to connect to the girlfriend some way. They had been dating since grade 7, apparently. The other unnamed dead victim is a girl.

Updates from heraldnet.com: 2 dead, they are including the shooter.  One victim taken to Harborview, after first being taken to Prov.

Uncle says, "not a monster, he's a nice kid."  Just shut up already.  Sorry, I get really tired of family members who come out with these dopey comments after something like this.  What's wrong with saying nothing?

albrecht

Wtf is going on with kids shooting each other (whether In Inner-cities or small towns.) Whatever happened to having a fight if you really need to settle a score? 

area51drone

I heard on KIRO that one of the kids that was shot and is still alive is his cousin.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on October 24, 2014, 04:58:32 PM
Wtf is going on with kids shooting each other (whether In Inner-cities or small towns.) Whatever happened to having a fight if you really need to settle a score?

Because guns are democratic. They have no bias. Still, it'll all be forgotten next week and the Kardashians will be getting into a car.

Things sure have changed since I was 14.

If we ever got a little down in the dumps because a girl didn't pay us any attention, mom would just bleed us a little bit, or we might spend some time in the root cellar reading Ann Rutcliffe by candlelight. We sure never resorted to muskets or burning down our neighbor's cabin.

George Drooly

Shooter was Native American? I thought they were the most peaceful, balanced people on the planet?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: George Drooly on October 25, 2014, 03:55:47 AM
Shooter was Native American? I thought they were the most peaceful, balanced people on the planet?

Yeah. Because everyone must fit into a neat box. No variations allowed. But no guns were involved so it really doesn't matter. Fuss over nothing.

Horror Retro and area51, I hope neither you nor anyone in your families was anywhere near there. 
Hoping all are safe.

area51drone

Thanks for the well wishes Treading, but no worries here, I'm a good distance away from Marysville.   They're now saying on the news that the girl who was killed was the girl who wouldn't go out with him.

VtaGeezer

The good news is that the local hospital and cops had staged drills for a school massacre.
The bad news is that we now live in a country where hospitals and cops routinely stage school massacre drills.

Kelt

It's almost like this sort of thing happens all the time.

That can't be right, though.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Kelt on October 25, 2014, 12:27:02 PM
It's almost like this sort of thing happens all the time.

That can't be right, though.

Have a look how many school and college shootings have occurred since Sandy Hook. Earlier this year I looked it up thinking it would be a dozen or so..Miles off.. 73. It will be more since then. It's so common it doesn't last more than a few days in the news. One person comes to the USA with Ebola and it's national news for weeks.

Kelt

How to solve the problem of kids shooting each other, while at the same time making guns more accessible to everyone, regardless of age, mental health, rage issues, or a stated desire to shoot others as soon as you get your gun.

The answer... arm everyone.

I bet you think I'm being facetious... but that's essentially the pro-gun lobby's position.  More guns will solve the gun problem.

Quote from: Kelt on October 25, 2014, 01:00:26 PM
How to solve the problem of kids shooting each other, while at the same time making guns more accessible to everyone, regardless of age, mental health, rage issues, or a stated desire to shoot others as soon as you get your gun.

The answer... arm everyone.

I bet you think I'm being facetious... but that's essentially the pro-gun lobby's position.  More guns will solve the gun problem.

Wasn't that Archie Bunker's solution to airplane high jacking in the 70's? 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 25, 2014, 01:19:36 PM

The Kid From Brooklyn - Bat Day

I'm glad he's conquered speaking without swearing every other word.. He could come across as an inarticulate fuckwit, know what I bleeding mean?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 25, 2014, 01:24:47 PM

I'm glad he's conquered speaking without swearing every other word.. He could come across as an inarticulate fuckwit, know what I bleeding mean?

Falkie fuckin pinched his fuckin name, but forgot to steal talking about anything fuckin interesting or humourous.

P.S.  Fuck English language snobs that insist that fuckin English swear words are the only fuckin good ones.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 25, 2014, 01:34:23 PM
Falkie fuckin pinched his fuckinname, but forgot to steal talking about anything fuckin interesting or humourous.

P.S.  Fuck English language snobs that insist that fuckin English swear words are the only fuckin good ones.

The colonies are full of heathens, so it's understandable. Not forgivable, but understandable.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 25, 2014, 02:17:46 PM
The colonies are full of heathens, so it's understandable. Not forgivable, but understandable.

If I recall correctly, England once considered (maybe still does) landed residents as the Morlocks, and the colonists as the Eloi.

Eddie Coyle

Yesterday it was a "random" shooting, because the idiots in the media were relying upon the always unimpeachable opinions of teenagers, and the interviewing of these doltish kids is nearly as tragic as the event itself.

Two of the victims were the kid's..relatives. Yeah, real fuckin' random.

yumyumtree

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2014, 08:55:18 PM
I heard on KIRO that one of the kids that was shot and is still alive is his cousin.

2 of the victims were his cousins.

Guns don't kill people.

Cousins kill people.

Quote from: yumyumtree on October 24, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
Uncle says, "not a monster, he's a nice kid."  Just shut up already.  Sorry, I get really tired of family members who come out with these dopey comments after something like this.  What's wrong with saying nothing?

Ironically, this will be discovered in the shooter's journal: "My uncle is a monster."

area51drone

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 25, 2014, 01:19:36 PM
The Kid From Brooklyn - Bat Day

Great entertainment.  Thank you for posting that.

Quote from: albrecht on October 24, 2014, 04:58:32 PM

I think the problem is they don't let them fight. Police get called and you get tossed into alternative school. Hence, the kids don't fight and rage gets built up. I'm not saying we need to run teenage fight club, but it needs to be consider rev the effect of all these 0 tolerence rules have.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 25, 2014, 11:00:03 PM
I think the problem is they don't let them fight. Police get called and you get tossed into alternative school. Hence, the kids don't fight and rage gets built up. I'm not saying we need to run teenage fight club, but it needs to be consider rev the effect of all these 0 tolerence rules have.
It's my understanding that this killer had just returned to school after a suspension for beating the hell out of another guy on the football team.  Kids got suspended for fighting way back in Jurassic 60s and 70s too.  Kids got their hearts broken before Facebook and Twitter. But no one brought Dad's handgun to school to blow the head off a girl for breaking up.  I though having three kids in HS while the net was coming of age was bad enough, but I think we entered very dangerous new territory when kids got free access to social media and to smart phones.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 25, 2014, 04:38:39 PM
      Yesterday it was a "random" shooting, because the idiots in the media were relying upon the always unimpeachable opinions of teenagers, and the interviewing of these doltish kids is nearly as tragic as the event itself.

Two of the victims were the kid's..relatives. Yeah, real fuckin' random.

It's made worse because teenagers (and some adults) don't know what random means. They use it to discribe things that are strange or unusual rather than random.