• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coast may lose their NY affiliate

Started by bateman, October 20, 2014, 08:18:44 PM

bateman

This is a rumor, but a pretty strong one. It's looking like WOR may dump their current talk format in favor of Fox Sports. If that happens, Coast will probably be relegated to 970 "The Answer" or out of the market entirely.

Quote from: bateman on October 20, 2014, 08:18:44 PM
This is a rumor, but a pretty strong one. It's looking like WOR may dump their current talk format in favor of Fox Sports. If that happens, Coast will probably be relegated to 970 "The Answer" or out of the market entirely.

If George Noary is the answer, what on earth is the question?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on October 20, 2014, 08:18:44 PM

Wow, and Fox Sports is atrocious. I thought WABC's boot of Noory five years ago was harsh enough...it's over, Georgie, It's OVER!

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 20, 2014, 08:47:26 PM
    Wow, and Fox Sports is atrocious.

It's a cheap format, that's the only appeal. Plug & play.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 20, 2014, 08:47:26 PM
I thought WABC's boot of Noory five years ago was harsh enough...it's over, Georgie, It's OVER!

And they still haven't replaced the Chicago station that dumped them around the same time.

albrecht

Ugh. I'm far, far for NYC but if I was there I would complain. Granted GNS and C2C has gone down hill but there aint much worse than FOX (and other) 24/7 sports programming. They all affect a weird, fast-talking accent/delivery and most often people that never played sports at a serious level. I love listening to ball games and hockey on radio with good hosts (in many markets like baseball on radio sometimes better than watching) but the "talk" about sports not during an actual is mind-blowingly infantile and annoying. With the "takes" and caller emulating their talk show heroes. But I know syndication is cheaper, actual hosts with knowledge (even of sports) is more expensive, but I hate that most AM is going national syndicated shows of any variety. At some point, hopefully, it will devolve back to more local hosts, issues, and even more local sports, and real content. Fighting windmills, I guess though.

I am with you, Albrecht on how crappy sports talk is:  a bunch of juvenile, chest-puffing pontificators.  Blah!  I can happily listen to John Miller or Vin Scully, but can't stand the blowhards talking about sports.

bateman

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 20, 2014, 09:11:12 PM
I am with you, Albrecht on how crappy sports talk is:  a bunch of juvenile, chest-puffing pontificators.  Blah!  I can happily listen to John Miller or Vin Scully, but can't stand the blowhards talking about sports.

Other hosts can't even stay awake during their own shows

http://youtu.be/Euh8kkU0d1c

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 20, 2014, 09:11:12 PM
I am with you, Albrecht on how crappy sports talk is:  a bunch of juvenile, chest-puffing pontificators...

Tom Tolbert on KNBR is low key, funny, and knowledgeable focusing mostly the local teams, but I don't care enough about sports to listen much

aldousburbank

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 20, 2014, 08:34:57 PM

If George Noary is the answer, what on earth is the question?
What galactic phenomena sucks all matter and light out of 3 dimensional space and through the dark portal at it's center?

nextgen.fm

Ugh...please no more sports talk

That's like the lightweight of talk radio.

So they figure they can get better ratings overnight with sports talk than Jorch?  He should address this issue before Coast is banished from the airwaves

Quote from: nextgen.fm on October 20, 2014, 10:52:32 PM
Ugh...please no more sports talk

That's like the lightweight of talk radio.

So they figure they can get better ratings overnight with sports talk than Jorch?  He should address this issue before Coast is banished from the airwaves

Great, now George is going to add sports to his news, health, and financial reports.

Wintermute

If C2C is not in Chicago, and not in NYC, boy that doesn't bode well. Two of the three largest markets.

George's days may be numbered. So could the format of the show.

cweb

Juan Cena

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
Great, now George is going to add sports to his news, health, and financial reports.

"Could Hunter Pence be a Bigfoot?"

"A lot of domed stadiums are shaped like UFOs. Why is that?"

"The Ray Rice elevator incident was a false flag operation."

"Are the Oakland Raiders fallen angels?"

cweb

Quote from: Juan Cena on October 23, 2014, 12:06:51 AM
"Could Hunter Pence be a Bigfoot?"

"A lot of domed stadiums are shaped like UFOs. Why is that?"

"The Ray Rice elevator incident was a false flag operation."

"Are the Oakland Raiders fallen angels?"
Hahaha

"Where was Ray Lewis during the JFK assassination?"

"How do you kick a field goal that far? Are there portals?"

"Was it a concussion, or perhaps an out-of-body experience?"

Juan Cena

Quote from: cweb on October 23, 2014, 06:58:16 AM
Hahaha

"Where was Ray Lewis during the JFK assassination?"

"How do you kick a field goal that far? Are there portals?"

"Was it a concussion, or perhaps an out-of-body experience?"

"Was Wrigley Field built by Ancient Aliens?"

George Drooly

Quote from: bateman on October 20, 2014, 09:17:37 PM
Other hosts can't even stay awake during their own shows

http://youtu.be/Euh8kkU0d1c

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

>inhale<

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

laserjock

Yammering about sports is just about the most masterbative activity I can imagine. 

pate

Quote from: laserjock on October 26, 2014, 09:39:30 PM
Yammering about sports is just about the most masterbative activity I can imagine.

"Sports: An Ancient Alien Plot to reduce Population?"

(Hope I did the picture thing right...)

Not sure how much this even matters. Red Eye radio is #1 in NYC. WOW, Noory you suck. A show targeted towards truckers is kicking you ass in New York city, where there are a vast amount of people who are awake at night who by in large part have nothing to do with trucking.

pyewacket

Looked up 2014 stats for talk radio and here what Wiki had listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-listened-to_radio_programs

Out of 17 shows on the list, Coast is 13th with a 3+ mil wkly! How can they list it as a Paranormal talk show? Does anyone know the ratio of true Paranormal topics vs new age health/medicine, conspiracy, biblical, political, entertainment business, topics?

Quote from: pyewacket on October 28, 2014, 11:25:49 AM
Looked up 2014 stats for talk radio and here what Wiki had listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-listened-to_radio_programs

Out of 17 shows on the list, Coast is 13th with a 3+ mil wkly! How can they list it as a Paranormal talk show? Does anyone know the ratio of true Paranormal topics vs new age health/medicine, conspiracy, biblical, political, entertainment business, topics?
Noory is actually losing listeners quickly. The wikipedia also cites dated information. I think over the past two years Noory has lost close to 1 million listeners which is a ton when his audience is now only 2.5 millions. Cite:http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-radio-audiences. Noory has shrunk the C2C audience to an almost unthinkable number. Which continues to drop .25 million every few months. Back when Bell was the host he would often talk about how other radio shows were shrinking and he was actually gaining listeners.

Back when Noory was on this board I exchanged pms with him about the shrinking audience. His first reaction was to deny that Art ever had that audience, then when I sent him prove, he acknowledged Bell had those numbers. If you listen to the achieve Art talks about his numbers being upward of 13 million. In some of the recent pictures you can even see the talkers awards  listener numbers hanging on the wall. Noory has killed C2C. A guest recently brought the topic up on air and all Noory would say is that listener numbers 'comes and grows". He obviously avoided the topic.

Oh and here is the proof for anyone who doesn't believe me:

With an estimated 10 million listeners, Bell’s show was at the time of his retirement the most listened-to late-night radio program, and fourth overall behind Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern, and Dr. Laura.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=109935

ART BELL spoke to 10 to 15 million listeners per week, fourth among all talk-show hosts of the era
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/09/16/art-bell-radios-most-popular-weirdo-returns/

From 1998
The outer limits: A lone voice in the desert lures 10 million listeners.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/the-outer-limits-a-lone-voice-in-the-desert-lures-10-million-listeners/2013/10/28/95615598-3ff6-11e3-9c8b-e8deeb3c755b_story.html

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 29, 2014, 04:39:19 AM
... ART BELL spoke to 10 to 15 million listeners per week...

Yes, the reported numbers are cumulative for a week.  So 10-15 million is 2-3 million per night.  Whether they listen to the whole show or just a few minutes.

Not only did Art Bell have considerably more listeners than the Snorge, more of them listened longer, more of them listened to the whole show.

On an especially lousy night, George may only have a few thousand people listening all the way to the end

Art probably had more listeners in one night the noory in the week.

Let that soak in awhile.

pyewacket

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 29, 2014, 04:39:19 AM
Noory is actually losing listeners quickly. The wikipedia also cites dated information. I think over the past two years Noory has lost close to 1 million listeners which is a ton when his audience is now only 2.5 millions. Cite:http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-radio-audiences. Noory has shrunk the C2C audience to an almost unthinkable number. Which continues to drop .25 million every few months. Back when Bell was the host he would often talk about how other radio shows were shrinking and he was actually gaining listeners.

Back when Noory was on this board I exchanged pms with him about the shrinking audience. His first reaction was to deny that Art ever had that audience, then when I sent him prove, he acknowledged Bell had those numbers. If you listen to the achieve Art talks about his numbers being upward of 13 million. In some of the recent pictures you can even see the talkers awards  listener numbers hanging on the wall. Noory has killed C2C. A guest recently brought the topic up on air and all Noory would say is that listener numbers 'comes and grows". He obviously avoided the topic.

Oh and here is the proof for anyone who doesn't believe me:

With an estimated 10 million listeners, Bell’s show was at the time of his retirement the most listened-to late-night radio program, and fourth overall behind Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern, and Dr. Laura.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=109935

ART BELL spoke to 10 to 15 million listeners per week, fourth among all talk-show hosts of the era
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/09/16/art-bell-radios-most-popular-weirdo-returns/

From 1998
The outer limits: A lone voice in the desert lures 10 million listeners.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/the-outer-limits-a-lone-voice-in-the-desert-lures-10-million-listeners/2013/10/28/95615598-3ff6-11e3-9c8b-e8deeb3c755b_story.html

Thank you for the stats. You know more about this data than I do! I don't think of the show as C2C anymore- it's the George Noory Show as far as I can see. Everything about it reflects George and Premier- not the listeners (what's left of them). I wonder how far the numbers have to fall before they cancel the show. Or do the radio stations have to be the ones to drop the show? Nothing to be proud of that's for sure!

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2014, 09:37:35 AM
Thank you for the stats. You know more about this data than I do! I don't think of the show as C2C anymore- it's the George Noory Show as far as I can see. Everything about it reflects George and Premier- not the listeners (what's left of them). I wonder how far the numbers have to fall before they cancel the show. Or do the radio stations have to be the ones to drop the show? Nothing to be proud of that's for sure!
Re: the losing numbers, marketshare, and stations of the modern C2C.
I wonder if this is why Norry and Tommy seem to be doing so many "events" and having way more shows about alternative, at best, healing. Trying to milk C2C it as long as they can and also prepare for some future post-C2C? Get into the "alternative" healthcare racket and "alternative" circuit of events. I don't recall Art doing any "events" really (a few but not so many and not as promoted.) Sure, he also sold HGH and various medical gimmicks but it seems now the show, not only the ads, are all about that stuff.

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on October 29, 2014, 09:50:44 AM
Re: the losing numbers, marketshare, and stations of the modern C2C.
I wonder if this is why Norry and Tommy seem to be doing so many "events" and having way more shows about alternative, at best, healing. Trying to milk C2C it as long as they can and also prepare for some future post-C2C? Get into the "alternative" healthcare racket and "alternative" circuit of events. I don't recall Art doing any "events" really (a few but not so many and not as promoted.) Sure, he also sold HGH and various medical gimmicks but it seems now the show, not only the ads, are all about that stuff.

Are these "events" like the new age seminars and alternative fairs and festivals? If so, I have no respect for what is left of the show. Hard to tell which came first- the decline of the show and need for other outlets OR the pursuit of other outlets at the cost of the show.  :(