• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Experts on Coast to Coast

Started by GeorgieForPresident2216, October 02, 2014, 04:23:10 PM

I'm starting this thread because I still listen to C2C in the hopes of hearing something thought provoking or useful, or learning something new.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can remember the last time I heard a guest who actually had legitimate credentials in his field or made statements that could be corroborated.

I think I can be a much more productive member of society by sleeping instead of staying up listening to Coast, so I am putting up this thread to see if anyone can prove me wrong.

I'm looking for posts based on the nightly C2C line up.  I'm searching for guests who have recognized credentials in the field they discuss on air, and make statements which can be corroborated by a reliable source.  How many times have we heard an astronomy guest was a physicist with a Ph.D, when it turned out he had a bachelors of Art in physics and creative writing with a Ph.D. in the history of journalism from some unaccredited institution?

I'll be surprised if this thread gets two posts a month.

albrecht

Yep. The "Nature Wants to Kill You" guest last week is only guy recently I can recall having legitmate credentials and knowledge of the subject. Though I didnt learn anything really new he had solid data and legitimate background. And good show and he even admitted that he purposely wrote his book for popular media as opposed to his real scholarly papers. A good show also, even though Norry was host. Gun scholar Lott also is legit with much of his stats but has an agenda but is good (esp when he dismissed Norry's Sandy Hook conspiracy theory. He must never listen to C2C and seems a little shocked at question and even of callers.)  Having said that I dont listen to C2C for factual programming or education- even in Art's days.

There are some,  but the one who springs to mind is Brother Guy Consolmagno, SJ who got his BA and MA from MIT and his PhD from University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory in planetary science. He's a research astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican observatory in Arizona and a genuinely interesting, upbeat and intelligent guy.