• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Scottish Independence

Started by pate, September 15, 2014, 05:35:19 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 19, 2014, 01:31:22 PM
Yes, but that's Scotch and I said Irish.  Are you sure you have what it takes to be king?  I wonder if you even know the mean airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Of course I do, but would that be an African or European swallow? Look: I'm a Yorkshireman; proud of it to the extent my passport says Yorkshire instead of England. Okay, it was ruled invalid by customs who then played doctors and nurses with latex gloves for a few minutes, but I think they knew I'd made my point and they retired to a safe distance to reflect on their obvious racist approach to my Yorkshireness. Later when I returned with a tyrannical worded (British) enforced passport they smiled in that condescending way they reserve for those they've had the pleasure of feeling a prostate gland.

Anyway, it's immaterial because when I'm King, they'll be begging me to let them sweep the floors let alone be customs officers.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 02:04:53 PM
Did you catch the news? Maybe not.

Which part of them failing just like Quebec did you miss in that?
I'll hang up and listen to your answer off air, thanks.

ItsOver

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 12:58:58 PM
I have to defer on that. I know they're called the Lone Star state, does it still have the same philosophy?
So much so for so many native Texans, I would strongly advise one to not even broach the subject, especially if they have a gun rack mounted inside their pick-up.  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Bart Ell on September 19, 2014, 02:29:04 PM
Which part of them failing just like Quebec did you miss in that?
I'll hang up and listen to your answer off air, thanks.

You posted a flag...not the Saltair, but close I guess,  so I'm supposing you were trying to imply they got a yes vote, which they clearly didn't. That's the problem with graphics, if they don't convey what you mean, they're open to ambiguity.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 02:58:59 PM
That's the problem with graphics, if they don't convey what you mean, they're open to ambiguity.

Fleur-de-lis ambiguity? Say it ain't so, good sir!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Bart Ell on September 19, 2014, 03:04:55 PM
Fleur-de-lis ambiguity? Say it ain't so, good sir!

Yes indeed. But what does it have to do witb Scottish non independence?

So they are still a country within a state, rather than a state within a country?
What state are they presently in?  I suppose some are relieved, some are happy, some disappointed and some want to kick butts?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 16, 2014, 05:16:11 AM
I've been to Scotland many times, I've yet to be treated in any way other than friendly and welcoming-yes, even in Glasgow!

If you've never been to Scotland and wonder what a native Scot is like, just imagine a big ol' black lab that greets you like you've been away for years, even though you just padded out to the driveway to pick up the newspaper.  One that is all big and furry and smelly and slobbers love all over you.  Now imagine if that dog was a heavy drinker, and you have the typical Scotsman.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 03:39:52 PM
Yes indeed. But what does it have to do witb Scottish non independence?

Jesus fuckin Christ, didn't he just finish explaining it, twice?  He's drawing a parallel between the feckless independence movements in Quebec and Scotland.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 02:10:00 AM
In theory yes; in practice it's impossible unless the proposal is that the (in this case) 45% who voted yes are allowed to effectively set up their own independence enclave. Geographically with the vote spread here, Glasgow would be a good candidate. In practice it couldn't happen though because Glasgow by itself isn't able to sustain an economy.

To put this into some context, it would be a bit like Texas having a vote on departing from the USA, and then most of TX voting against, apart from (say) Dallas who overwhelmingly voted yes. Then letting Dallas be an autonomous 'country' within TX that was was still part of the USA.

The vote has been done properly and the turnout has been unprecedented. However, 1.6 million (mainly) Glaswegians are royally pissed off. No easy answer when the split is as close as that.
And how many of those Glaswegians who voted "YES" are descendents of the Irish immigrants and often seem to have more allegiance and feeling for Ireland than for Scotland- and certainly the UK. The famine is over, if they went home the vote would've been more "NO" for sure.

Bart Ell

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 19, 2014, 04:17:14 PM
Jesus fuckin Christ, didn't he just finish explaining it, twice?  He's drawing a parallel between the feckless independence movements in Quebec and Scotland.

I tried typing it nice and slow so he could keep up and still nothing.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 02:58:59 PM

You posted a flag...not the Saltair, but close I guess,  so I'm supposing you were trying to imply they got a yes vote, which they clearly didn't. That's the problem with graphics, if they don't convey what you mean, they're open to ambiguity.

Really?  I live in Saltair, but it's neither in Scotland nor Quebec.

Quote from: Bart Ell on September 19, 2014, 05:33:33 PM
I tried typing it nice and slow so he could keep up and still nothing.

I blame it on the absence of high schools in Yorkshire.  That, and inbreeding.

ksm32

Quote from: Vladimir on September 15, 2014, 03:49:31 PM
Distilling good whiskey.

I'll buy that for $60 - $300 a bottle.

..and I do indeed..

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 19, 2014, 07:56:25 PM
I blame it on the absence of high schools in Yorkshire.  That, and inbreeding.

We don't bother with that school stuff. And inbreeding means wedding guest lists are short, and cheaper.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on September 19, 2014, 03:55:29 PM
So they are still a country within a state, rather than a state within a country?
What state are they presently in?  I suppose some are relieved, some are happy, some disappointed and some want to kick butts?

Several years ago Scotland had it's own powers that are administered through the way over budget Hollyrood assembly in Edinburgh. This by itself doesn't give complete independence which is what the residents have just voted on. Cameron the Prime Minister has promised lots of new powers to the Scots but the details are far from revealed.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on September 20, 2014, 01:03:14 AM
i thought this an interesting opinion.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/why-the-future-uk-will-look-a-lot-like-canada/article20686933/

Yes, I think it sums it up pretty well. No-one else has been nominated as King of Yorkshire so I suppose I'll be doing that job. Oh well.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 20, 2014, 01:22:09 AM
Yes, I think it sums it up pretty well. No-one else has been nominated as King of Yorkshire so I suppose I'll be doing that job. Oh well.
i'm ignorant of such things really. anything is possible in Gods Own Country. wasn't Richard III the last Yorkist king? the same guy that was found paved over?  8)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on September 20, 2014, 01:50:17 AM
i'm ignorant of such things really. anything is possible in Gods Own Country. wasn't Richard III the last Yorkist king? the same guy that was found paved over?  8)

Not only was he paved over but it was in Leicester. My younger brother is called Richard so I guess I have even more credentials to take my rightful place.

pate

I didn't connect the fleur de lis flag to Quebec either...  I sort of connected it to some sort of ambiguous relationship I thought existed between the Scots and the French...

Nova Scotia and some sort of disambiguation of that to Arcadia & Acadians to down south to become Cajums, who the heck are they?  And why american?

Why would they want anything other than unity with the Conch Republic (insane gits that they are)?

Catalonia?  Who, what, where?  Not that they have a thing to do with the native southern French, Lange D'oc or something...  Or ancient Latin, or anything...

I understand the strong resistance to the old/new world, but I wonder why blue man group is so popular, but has no voice...

Blue Man Group - Nau Shorts

onan

I didn't care about Quebec. I don't care about Scotland. If they want to cut themselves off from the benefits of a greater community, let them. I hope they choke on the stupid.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 20, 2014, 12:13:28 AM
Cameron the Prime Minister has promised lots of new powers to the Scots but the details are far from revealed.

Does it include being able to ride their machines without being hassled by The Man?

albrecht

A random thought. Has anyone heard from ol' Lyndon on the Scotland vote? Or his LaRouche activists? Were they involved at all (considering the Queen is a drug-dealer and the City is the source of all ills, or at least most, in the world.)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 20, 2014, 09:38:09 AM
Does it include being able to ride their machines without being hassled by The Man?

Not sure, but deep fried Mars bars are to supercede haggis as the national dish. There's to be a ceremony with nude female wrestlers fighting in lard. I hope it's broadcast live.

Quote from: pate on September 20, 2014, 04:39:26 AM
I didn't connect the fleur de lis flag to Quebec either...

Flag of Quebec:

Flag of Scotland:

The flag that Bart Ell posted:

Fuckin hell, I finally understand what Anne Sullivan felt like ("AAAAAAA......BBBBBBBUUUUUUUUHHHHHH......KKKKKKAAAAAAAHHHHHH...")

pate

Oh lordy, as a tip of the hat to Al Gore (who I believe I referred to somewhere as an imbecile) I give you VOTE FRAUD in the Scots Independence vote:

Scot Independence vote Fraud in plain sight

http://www.globalresearch.ca/voter-fraud-was-the-scottish-independence-referendum-rigged-to-fail/5403190

This conspiracy brought to you by a Charter Member of the Worldwide Zionist Conspiracy.

No, no, applause and thanks are unnecessary!

(note: I didn't read the article, but I did watch the video, whether I believe this or not isn't really material, that it is out there is...)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pate on September 30, 2014, 06:36:28 AM
Oh lordy, as a tip of the hat to Al Gore (who I believe I referred to somewhere as an imbecile) I give you VOTE FRAUD in the Scots Independence vote:

Scot Independence vote Fraud in plain sight

http://www.globalresearch.ca/voter-fraud-was-the-scottish-independence-referendum-rigged-to-fail/5403190

This conspiracy brought to you by a Charter Member of the Worldwide Zionist Conspiracy.

No, no, applause and thanks are unnecessary!

(note: I didn't read the article, but I did watch the video, whether I believe this or not isn't really material, that it is out there is...)

Oh jeeze! It isn't a conspiracy, the two piles were put on the same table before they were counted..the table they were put on, just happened to have a 'No' sign on it. It could just as well have been the 'Yes' table.

The official counter, the 'Yes' campaigners (at least the ones who are sensible) and anyone with any sense knows all this. Of course the conspiracy theorists (who should be drowned at birth) haven't the intelligence to know this, but sadly they're allowed to make YT videos without supervision. That can't be right.