• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Scottish Independence

Started by pate, September 15, 2014, 05:35:19 AM

b_dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 18, 2014, 07:41:25 AM

Wasn't that rescinded earlier this year? I don't like it myself, but I don't like black pudding either (yes it's a Lancashire 'delicacy' ), disgusting. As it is and how it can be served.
Starving people everywhere agree that eating oatmeal soaked in animal blood is better than not eating.  Unless you've got enough money to buy real food then fuck that shit.

http://www.theonion.com/video/dominos-scientists-test-limits-of-what-humans-will,14252/

Let's talk RECIPES!  I knew this thread would take an interesting turn eventually.

pate

I have to agree, I am not so sure about Haggis.  I've never had it so I cannot say.

I have had Boudin Noir, and various other versions of Boudin, which are blood sausages (I assume that's what black pudding is, a blood sausage?) and those were all pretty good, as long as they don't have too much cayenne in them that is. Enough to cover the natural flavor, but not so much that it's like eating a pound of hot peppers...

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 15, 2014, 04:06:55 PM
...  Maybe it's all that "rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Wait, are we talking about the UK or the NFL?

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on September 18, 2014, 07:44:47 AM
Starving people everywhere agree that eating oatmeal soaked in animal blood is better than not eating.  Unless you've got enough money to buy real food then fuck that shit.

http://www.theonion.com/video/dominos-scientists-test-limits-of-what-humans-will,14252/
I love black pudding, alas, cannot find in the States (I hate white pudding though.) I actually like bludwurst either (great with Albier and some onions and pickles.) But, again, can't find in the US. I think we have rules about blood or something. Damn guvmint!
ps: I actually thought haggis pretty good, so, I guess I'm strange.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 18, 2014, 11:04:44 AM
Oh, my...

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/388282/scottish-independence-campaign-borrowed-heavily-obama-tactics-john-fund

Oh I don't think that Obama's campaign tactics can take credit even if 'Eck has nicked em. The 'yes' campaign has been doing a great deal in certain areas of Glasgow where it's fair to say the English are the least popular. Salmond is well aware he's been selling it on anti Westminster (goverment) but the unsaid undercurrent is anti English. It's a fortunate coincidence that 'Eck has cherry picked aspects of Obama's campaign manager's sell- Tony Blair made no secret of copying JFK and Clinton. He studied other succesful politicians intensly, even his party's adversary Thatcher. Eck has done the same.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 18, 2014, 11:32:50 AM
Oh I don't think that Obama's campaign tactics can take credit even if 'Eck has nicked em. The 'yes' campaign has been doing a great deal in certain areas of Glasgow where it's fair to say the English are the least popular. Salmond is well aware he's been selling it on anti Westminster (goverment) but the unsaid undercurrent is anti English. It's a fortunate coincidence that 'Eck has cherry picked aspects of Obama's campaign manager's sell- Tony Blair made no secret of copying JFK and Clinton. He studied other succesful politicians intensly, even his party's adversary Thatcher. Eck has done the same.
Certain areas of Glasgow would probly vote to join Ireland. No surprise they would be a "yes" vote. But take away their dole, NHS, public housing, and pensions and see how theyd vote.

I heard on the radio early this morning that the big British bookmakers are betting on a "No" vote.  Those guys tend to be more accurate than Nate Silver, so odds are that independence won't happen.

Yorkie, the polls in Scotland close at four my time, so as soon as I hear something I'll let you know so you won't have to wait until ten tonight to find out what happened.  You're welcome.  :D

I hope the 'no' voters don't get confused and elect Pat Buchanan.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 18, 2014, 01:49:57 PM
I heard on the radio early this morning that the big British bookmakers are betting on a "No" vote.  Those guys tend to be more accurate than Nate Silver, so odds are that independence won't happen.

Yorkie, the polls in Scotland close at four my time, so as soon as I hear something I'll let you know so you won't have to wait until ten tonight to find out what happened.  You're welcome.  :D

I'm ahead of you, I've changed the clocks so I can get the results in the morning (announced breakfast our time). The polls close at 10pm, then it's a lot of volunteers counting through the night until the final tally is announced over toast and strong coffee.

I hope they vote no, not least of all because the face on Little Eck will be a picture; but a yes vote would be catastrophic.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 18, 2014, 01:57:48 PM
I hope the 'no' voters don't get confused and elect Pat Buchanan.

Fortunately they've thought that possibility through; no names are on the ballot papers. Not even Salmond who desperately wants to be taken seriously as a statesman.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 18, 2014, 02:02:51 PM
I'm ahead of you, I've changed the clocks so I can get the results in the morning (announced breakfast our time). The polls close at 10pm, then it's a lot of volunteers counting through the night until the final tally is announced over toast and strong coffee.

I hope they vote no, not least of all because the face on Little Eck will be a picture; but a yes vote would be catastrophic.

If the vote is no, I wonder if the headlines will read, "Scottish Independence Kilt By a Wee Majority."

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 18, 2014, 02:07:00 PM
If the vote is no, I wonder if the headlines will read, "Scottish Independence Kilt By a Wee Majority."

You'd be a very brave editor to splash that one, although, it's inspired sir!

If Scotland gains its independence after the referendum,the remainder of the United Kingdom will be known as the "Former United Kingdom" (FUK)
In a bid to discourage Scots from voting 'yes' in the referendum, the Government is planning a last ditch campaign with the slogan "Vote NO, for FUK'S sake"

They feel that Scottish voters will be able to relate to this.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 18, 2014, 02:13:43 PM

If Scotland gains its independence after the referendum,the remainder of the United Kingdom will be known as the "Former United Kingdom" (FUK)
In a bid to discourage Scots from voting 'yes' in the referendum, the Government is planning a last ditch campaign with the slogan "Vote NO, for FUK'S sake"

They feel that Scottish voters will be able to relate to this.

Hoot mon!   ;D

Since Pud is probably sleeping, I'll post this...

Scottish referendum: Voters to reject independence - BBC

Scotland will vote to stay in the United Kingdom after rejecting independence, the BBC has predicted.

With 26 out of the country's 32 council areas having declared after Thursday's vote, the "No" side has a 54% of the vote, with the "Yes" campaign on 46%.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29270441

VtaGeezer

Humpty MacDumpty has jumped off the wall and the Tories won't be very eager to put him back together.  I think the Scots have foocked themselves good.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on September 18, 2014, 11:22:51 PM
Humpty MacDumpty has jumped off the wall and the Tories won't be very eager to put him back together.  I think the Scots have foocked themselves good.

I'm pretty sure they'd have been very well fucked if they'd voted yes. However, it hasn't stopped Wee Eck saying they hadn't voted yes 'on this occasion'. It does mean though that Cameron and the other two have to deliver on their promised devolved powers to Scotland. 85% turnout can't be ignored.

I know it sounds crazy, but there's been mutterings in the last few weeks about the regions of England being given more power too. Yorkshire has a bigger population than Scotland, bigger than Wales, and far bigger than Northern Ireland. Naturally I'll be King. I'm sure I can depend on your support.

It seems to me that there should be a broad consensus for such big decisions, not just 50% of the vote plus one. 

If the decision is such a good one, requiring the people who want change of this magnitude to convince 60%, two-thirds, or even 75% is not unreasonable.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 19, 2014, 01:38:31 AM
It seems to me that there should be a broad consensus for such big decisions, not just 50% of the vote plus one. 

If the decision is such a good one, requiring the people who want change of this magnitude to convince 60%, two-thirds, or even 75% is not unreasonable.

In theory yes; in practice it's impossible unless the proposal is that the (in this case) 45% who voted yes are allowed to effectively set up their own independence enclave. Geographically with the vote spread here, Glasgow would be a good candidate. In practice it couldn't happen though because Glasgow by itself isn't able to sustain an economy.

To put this into some context, it would be a bit like Texas having a vote on departing from the USA, and then most of TX voting against, apart from (say) Dallas who overwhelmingly voted yes. Then letting Dallas be an autonomous 'country' within TX that was was still part of the USA.

The vote has been done properly and the turnout has been unprecedented. However, 1.6 million (mainly) Glaswegians are royally pissed off. No easy answer when the split is as close as that. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 12:48:07 AM

I know it sounds crazy, but there's been mutterings in the last few weeks about the regions of England being given more power too. Yorkshire has a bigger population than Scotland, bigger than Wales, and far bigger than Northern Ireland. Naturally I'll be King. I'm sure I can depend on your support.

I'd vote for you early and often in exchange for a nice annual pension and a case of Irish whiskey, Your Pudjesty.

ItsOver

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 02:10:00 AM
In theory yes; in practice it's impossible unless the proposal is that the (in this case) 45% who voted yes are allowed to effectively set up their own independence enclave. Geographically with the vote spread here, Glasgow would be a good candidate. In practice it couldn't happen though because Glasgow by itself isn't able to sustain an economy.

To put this into some context, it would be a bit like Texas having a vote on departing from the USA, and then most of TX voting against, apart from (say) Dallas who overwhelmingly voted yes. Then letting Dallas be an autonomous 'country' within TX that was was still part of the USA.

The vote has been done properly and the turnout has been unprecedented. However, 1.6 million (mainly) Glaswegians are royally pissed off. No easy answer when the split is as close as that.

Does Texas know they're not already an independent republic?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 19, 2014, 12:36:30 PM
I'd vote for you early and often in exchange for a nice annual pension and a case of Irish whiskey, Your Pudjesty.

Very well...

as for me my favourite is Highland Park. Distilled on Orkney. Children should be weaned on to it from mothers milk, it's only natural.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ItsOver on September 19, 2014, 12:46:07 PM
Does Texas know they're not already an independent republic?

I have to defer on that. I know they're called the Lone Star state, does it still have the same philosophy?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2014, 12:54:04 PM

Very well...

as for me my favourite is Highland Park. Distilled on Orkney. Children should be weaned on to it from mothers milk, it's only natural.

Yes, but that's Scotch and I said Irish.  Are you sure you have what it takes to be king?  I wonder if you even know the mean airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.