• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

James Randi or "The Amazing Randi"

Started by DinamoDennis, September 11, 2014, 06:55:59 AM

DinamoDennis

Has he ever been on Coast to Coast ?
If not..why ?

Little Hater

I don't believe he has, mainly because he has made a career out of proving multiple regular C2C guests to be complete frauds. If you search for randi on the C2C website, all you'll get is links to the appearance of guests attacking him.

albrecht

I thought maybe he was on with Art back in the day but I don't find any record. Only, as other poster has mentioned, guests who deride and criticize him (for obvious reasons.)

eddie dean

I would love to hear him debunk and discredit 95% of the hacks on c2c. Probably never happen, unfortunately.

BTW, a new doc called "An Honest Liar" about James Randi's life.

http://anhonestliar.com/wp/

Uncle Duke

Art did have Phil Klass on as a guest a couple times, including once in a "debate" with either Hoagland or Freidman.  Klass ate his lunch, which ever of those two he faced.

DinamoDennis

Quote from: eddie dean on September 12, 2014, 12:26:18 PM
I would love to hear him debunk and discredit 95% of the hacks on c2c. Probably never happen, unfortunately.

BTW, a new doc called "An Honest Liar" about James Randi's life.

http://anhonestliar.com/wp/

Awesome! Looks great! Cant wait to see it!

Beyond Bleef

Quote from: DinamoDennis on September 11, 2014, 06:55:59 AM
Has he ever been on Coast to Coast ?
If not..why ?

Randi has been mentioned on C2C a few time - in a very negative way.  He's devoted most of his career to debunking frauds - which makes him a bad guy in the C2C universe. 

If all the frauds and hucksters were exposed, the C2C guest list would be depopulated. 

yumyumtree

Randi and Uri Geller are big enemies, and Uri Geller is held in high regard on Coast.

scottydawg

Randi is the "AnitiJorch" not only would he eat most of the habitual lying guest lunch, he would mentally beat up Jorch and take his lunch money :D
Or my favorite Groucho saying, "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Quote from: yumyumtree on September 20, 2014, 03:00:24 PM
Randi and Uri Geller are big enemies, and Uri Geller is held in high regard on Coast.

And Uri is an admitted fraud. Shows their standards.

DinamoDennis

Need to get The Amazing Randi on Midnight in the Desert!

henge0stone

Art has always been negative when talking about Randi. Randi should be applauded for debunking physics and hoaxers like Uri and that religious guy who was stealing peoples money. I do think CSICOP is basically just a bunch of debunkers trying to prove their theories.

Case in point, on the podcast Monster talk (which is funded by CISCOP) when talking about investigating a haunted mental clinic, Karen Stollznow basically just did historical research on the building and came to the conclusion that the haunting claims were bunk. She never stayed the night or tried to find any unexplained activity in the place and dismissed all claims by paranormal groups. There was basically no chance that her investigation would come up with any other result.

Paranormal events are not repeatable in a lab environment and this to CSICOP means they don't exist. Don't get me wrong though things should be looked at with skepticism but I just think CSICOP is so grounded in skepticism that there can never be any other outcome, and Randi has even admitted his million dollar challenge has loopholes in the rules so he never has to pay.

Many paranormal investigators have a similar problem at the other end of the spectrum and refuse to see any other argument than their preconceived notion so in this sense CSICOP has its purpose.

Art

From Swift, March 5, 2004 --

QuoteI’ve heard from the Art Bell/George Noory show several times before, asking if I wanted to be on the show, and I've always declined. Just yesterday I heard from a woman at Noory's office who was quite puzzled at my disinterest. I cannot imagine why I'd want to help the show’s ratings, or give them any help at all. More importantly, since the Coast-to-Coast show and Larry King Live both have their staffs filtering incoming phone calls, I'd be at a huge disadvantage. Never play another man's game, especially if he's making up the rules as he goes along. (Emphasis mine.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20081216062323if_/http://www.randi.org/jr/030504newsweek.html

(Some of you remember that Art complained back then that the Noory-C2C regime insisted on screening his calls.)

I agree with one commenter's assessment:

QuoteFew people draw up clearer contrasts between "Skeptic" and "Spiritual" than Randi does, and he seems to revel in it at his own expense, due to having a strong secular and humanistic (perhaps Asimov inspired?) idealism. Appearing on it could undoubtedly be a positive though. The program is just emotion-provoking entertainment intermixed with campfire stories and science fiction, some of it drawing on science fact; but it's hardly not a place levity can't be injected.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2430472

In any case, Randi is 86 and retired, and doesn't need to be fighting lawsuits from whoever he would debunk on their home turf.

DinamoDennis

Also saw Art and Randi or whoever was running randis twitter were have words back and forth... sigh. I guess Randi will never be a guest.