• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Lost Theater - What was the name of that movie?

Started by Camazotz Automat, September 09, 2014, 04:12:59 AM

Kelt

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 07, 2014, 02:13:31 PM
Could it be The Deadly Spawn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deadly_Spawn

[attachimg=1]

While that looks like a first rate movie, no... not that one.

The movie in question is definitely foreign language, and from the 70s, I would think.

I appreciate the effort, and shall endeavour to respond in a more timely fashion in future ;)

Quote from: Kelt on October 08, 2014, 01:13:13 PM
While that looks like a first rate movie, no... not that one.

The movie in question is definitely foreign language, and from the 70s, I would think.

I appreciate the effort, and shall endeavor to respond in a more timely fashion in future ;)

I was afraid the language version might be a deal breaker but the coincidence of a creature living underwater in a basement was just too great to ignore. heh.  I was hoping you had perhaps seen a French dubbed version of it.

Back to the hunt.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 08, 2014, 11:01:22 AM

These posts about The Norliss Tapes intrigued me.  Was surprised and pleased that Netflix has the Anchor Bay 2006 DVD release available.  I added it to the October mix and placed it smack dab in the middle of my American Horror Story : Coven DVDs shipments ... heh.

A Dan Curtis production featuring Roy Thinnes and Angie Dickinson with material by William F. Nolan?

How can this NOT be an enjoyable blast from the past? 

Anchor Bay has a reputation for releasing good editions ... with any luck, there will be some extra material featuring Thinnes/Dickinson/Nolan.

While I am not locating my own lost films so far, this topic is great for ~mining the obscure.~

[attachimg=1]

It's pretty good. I'm a big Dan Curtis fan, so it was a must see for me.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 07, 2014, 06:21:15 PM
I was going to say it was the Norliss Tapes. I've seen it several times. It was a pilot for a series that never happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJB0OM7giI

Thanks, HorrorRetro. That's it! All I remember is hearing about how scary this movie was, don't let the kids see it and it's been built up in my mind ever since. Dan Curtis made some fantastic horror during those golden years of made for tv horror movies.

I've located a photo of what I believe to be the exact brand of arcade game I saw in one of the movies I'm looking for.  That's the bear.

This is the most progress I've made in years.  I decided to focus my search on the bear, not the movie.

Now, will this information help me find the movie title?

Does a 1947 triple Ray-O-Lite sensor equipped Seeburg Shoot the Bear shit in the panoramic woods?

I certainly hope so.

pate

Logan's Run.  I know an old answer to an old question (thank you olde guy in the ruins of the Capitol)

Nobody's ever heard of it, and you can't find it on any sort of playable medium (DVD?  BluRay?  OkaY NO blu, but vhs to dvd after you fight through hucksters...)

How about Zardoz?

Not as great as Logan's Run but much more collectible, due to the star power...

I am actually trying to think of a crappy movie that I caught a half second of back in the day when it was re-broadcast on TV (the original Bodysnatchers, or whatever it was called with Sutherland and the numbers guy from Jurrasic Park) that I'd like to see again...

OkaY,  SPIDER MOVIE, CAP'N KIRK terrible, he ends up in the basement and the camera 'pans' back to reveal a world covered with webs!

Don't answer, because as awesome as T.J. Hooker was as an actor, Bill Shatner didna impress me with that one, other than a lame waste of time.  What, Cap'n Kirk couldn't beat space spiders or whichever (I don't care if it was before or after ST, much like the Twilight Zone passenger episode) bah.  Useless post.

Oh crap.  Question answered...
Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 11, 2014, 06:50:04 AM
I've located a photo of what I believe to be the exact brand of arcade game I saw in one of the movies I'm looking for.  That's the bear.

This is the most progress I've made in years.  I decided to focus my search on the bear, not the movie.

Now, will this information help me find the movie title?

Does a 1947 triple Ray-O-Lite sensor equipped Seeburg Shoot the Bear shit in the panoramic woods?

I certainly hope so.

Be4r Is some sort of youth-speak for tv show from the x0's?  Damn, I had a short lived 80s tv one to bracket you with... all dreams are ephemeral...

paladin1991

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2014, 07:19:21 AM
Logan's Run.  I know an old answer to an old question (thank you olde guy in the ruins of the Capitol)

Nobody's ever heard of it, and you can't find it on any sort of playable medium (DVD?  BluRay?  OkaY NO blu, but vhs to dvd after you fight through hucksters...)

How about Zardoz?

Not as great as Logan's Run but much more collectible, due to the star power...

I am actually trying to think of a crappy movie that I caught a half second of back in the day when it was re-broadcast on TV (the original Bodysnatchers, or whatever it was called with Sutherland and the numbers guy from Jurrasic Park) that I'd like to see again...

OkaY,  SPIDER MOVIE, CAP'N KIRK terrible, he ends up in the basement and the camera 'pans' back to reveal a world covered with webs!

Don't answer, because as awesome as T.J. Hooker was as an actor, Bill Shatner didna impress me with that one, other than a lame waste of time.  What, Cap'n Kirk couldn't beat space spiders or whichever (I don't care if it was before or after ST, much like the Twilight Zone passenger episode) bah.  Useless post.

Oh crap.  Question answered...
Be4r Is some sort of youth-speak for tv show from the x0's?  Damn, I had a short lived 80s tv one to bracket you with... all dreams are ephemeral...
Kingdom of the spiders. 1977  Cheese, baby, just cheese.

Thank you CA for  passing on that   bit about "Richard"  I wish I could find a DVD or even a VHS or even a 'clean' Torrent file of it.Your item is this first I've heard of  the film since 1972. Thank you so much!

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on October 11, 2014, 11:05:33 AM
Thank you CA for  passing on that   bit about "Richard"  I wish I could find a DVD or even a VHS or even a 'clean' Torrent file of it.Your item is this first I've heard of  the film since 1972. Thank you so much!

You're welcome, UA. The film festival schedule was very interesting on many counts.   

(I read through the schedule on the slim chance one of my lost films was featured. My film featuring the mentally ill man stealing the arcade bear target sounds like perfect film festival fodder. Artsy and magnificently depressing!)

I hope you locate a copy of Richard in the future to re-watch.

zeebo

... How about Zardoz? ...

Ah Zardoz, it's ... um, no it's ... well it's just so Zardoz!

Bear is some sort of youth-speak for tv show from the x0's?  Damn, I had a short lived 80s tv one to bracket you with... all dreams are ephemeral...

Roger that. Proceed to Orion rendezvous point and execute sealed orders. Nightmare station verified - focal point defined as glam-rocker Conway Twitty. Dream contains four nested false awakenings. Use lucid dream protocol 7L to guarantee eclipse of emotion and effect pineal body dormancy for the required duration for sublimation to proceed.

On a different note, the bear arcade revelation factor thus far appears nominal in aiding to the hunt, but I do sense Providence is pissed.

Which can only mean I am closing in.

Quote from: zeebo on October 11, 2014, 09:23:15 PM
Ah Zardoz, it's ... um, no it's ... well it's just so Zardoz!

It certainly is, and you couldn't have said it better!  Trying to explain "Zardoz" is like trying to explain William Shatner.  People have to see for themselves and draw their own conclusions, because  words just can't handle the job.

Seriously, though, you have to admit that it would be totally sweet to have your own giant  flying stone head!   8)

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 11, 2014, 10:58:04 PM
focal point defined as glam-rocker Conway Twitty.

I have an original mint condition 1978 promo copy of "I Wanna Stain Your Anti-Macassar!"  If you're the correct donor type, I'll trade it for one of your kidneys.  You know you won't get a better deal anywhere else.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 12, 2014, 12:41:31 AM
I have an original mint condition 1978 promo copy of "I Wanna Stain Your Anti-Macassar!"  If you're the correct donor type, I'll trade it for one of your kidneys.  You know you won't get a better deal anywhere else.

From Hellgab

Dear Boss,

I send you the itum you called for, but not for no charge.
Also, more than just the won. Why a singul kidnee win
plenty to go round?

As a present from the past I as well send a song for the
future. First, if you listen very hard, the tune will come to
you at Last. Second, you have not one second to wait.

The Juwes The Irish Eddie Coyle is the man who will not
be blamed for nothing.

Signed
Ban me when you "can."

Yours truly
Jack the Automat

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 12, 2014, 03:39:19 PM
From Hellgab

Dear Boss,

I send you the itum you called for, but not for no charge.
Also, more than just the won. Why a singul kidnee win
plenty to go round?

As a present from the past I as well send a song for the
future. First, if you listen very hard, the tune will come to
you at Last. Second, you have not one second to wait.

The Juwes The Irish Eddie Coyle is the man who will not
be blamed for nothing.

Signed
Ban me when you "can."

Yours truly
Jack the Automat

[attachimg=1]

You're a real mensch punter!  There's bound to be a match in there somewhere, and I can just fry and eat the rest and wash them down with a bottle of ginger beer.  The record is on its way to the Automat HQ, and as token of appreciation for your generosity, I also sent you a rare North Korean bootleg of CT's classic, "The Pompadour of Love."  Cheers!

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 12, 2014, 07:47:06 PM
And one more thing....

"ooooH that Zotz!"

I obtained that film on a bootleg DVD long before they released it in 2009. Had to watch it after reading the book. The book is good and contains linguistic jokes and finely tuned misunderstandings.... compatible with my zig zag humor.

I would sacrifice my third and largely unused testicle to see Jim Carrey star in a more true to the book version.

I pulled this from the Z - vault a few minutes ago.  While not as rare as the Castle promo coin, it's not common either. The other side has "Zotz All" :

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 12, 2014, 09:11:09 PM
I obtained that film on a bootleg DVD long before they released it in 2009. Had to watch it after reading the book. The book is good and contains linguistic jokes and finely tuned misunderstandings.... compatible with my zig zag humor.

I would sacrifice my third and largely unused testicle to see Jim Carrey star in a more true to the book version.

I pulled this from the Z - vault a few minutes ago.  While not as rare as the Castle promo coin, it's not common either. The other side has "Zotz All" :

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 12, 2014, 09:11:09 PM

I read the book and saw the movie on TV a long time ago, but can't remember which happened first.  I've read it a couple of times since, and like it for the same reasons you mention.  I remember very little about the movie other than it bears almost no resemblance to the book.  It bugs me when film makers do that, and I wish they'd cut it out.

Who the Sam Hill is/was Franklyn Stein?  A vigorous and thorough Googling yielded nothing but a few sites selling his records.  There can't be too many of those around, and the disclaimer is an interesting and odd feature.

I might be willing to trade back the kidneys for it if you're willing.  Let me think about it.

pate

I am Cain (sp), I am here to help...

Kung Fu (1972) Opening titles.

That all aside, I recall a 'film' of the Kung Fu era, that predated (that's pre-dated, not the other sicko) the silly Sega game MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! Wombat? 

Mortal Kombat Theme with Beavis and Butthead

Aw, lawd... 

And something mixed with the Street Fighter quarter (remember those?) Arcade games... from which all were stolen...

I think I saw this movie with all the retarded jump off the tower to the trampoline SF *(Special Effects back when you had to suspend your disbelieif [sp] eh, what to add after that?)

The game (I think street fighter II or 2) stole the whole concept from some awful movie, I shouldn't say awful, because the protagonist was fighting in some sort of ruins with the lessons written in stone around him and he didn't 'get' it until the last scene, where he promptly threw (or punched as one sees it) through the wall depecting (sp) in that last move...  Meaningless Kung Fu movies weren't so meaningless until years later...

I feel the need for Street Fighter 2 here...

Street Fighter II - Arcade - Intro

Edit: why do I see Bryan Cranston as Old Master?

Quote from: pate on October 15, 2014, 06:32:18 AM
I am Cain (sp), I am here to help...

Kung Fu (1972) Opening titles.

That all aside, I recall a 'film' of the Kung Fu era, that predated (that's pre-dated, not the other sicko) the silly Sega game MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! Wombat? 

Mortal Kombat Theme with Beavis and Butthead

Aw, lawd... 

And something mixed with the Street Fighter quarter (remember those?) Arcade games... from which all were stolen...

I think I saw this movie with all the retarded jump off the tower to the trampoline SF *(Special Effects back when you had to suspend your disbelieif [sp] eh, what to add after that?)

The game (I think street fighter II or 2) stole the whole concept from some awful movie, I shouldn't say awful, because the protagonist was fighting in some sort of ruins with the lessons written in stone around him and he didn't 'get' it until the last scene, where he promptly threw (or punched as one sees it) through the wall depecting (sp) in that last move...  Meaningless Kung Fu movies weren't so meaningless until years later...

I feel the need for Street Fighter 2 here...

Street Fighter II - Arcade - Intro

Edit: why do I see Bryan Cranston as Old Master?

Could it be The Master of the Flying Guillotine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdP1qTjGZY

Kelt

Okay, let's see if anyone knows this one.

The scene I remember in this movie is set on an old Southern plantation. There's an old 'General' sort of plantation owner sitting on a chair on the lawn in front of the house, waiting for the slave/butler to deliver a tray of lemonade to him. 

The slave/butler steps out of the house and starts walking... extremely slowly... down the path towards the general, saying, "Here's the lemonade, Massah." 

The problem is it's taking forever for the slave/butler to get to the boss man, and the boss man is getting more and more agitated.  The slave/butler is continually going, "Here come the lemonade, fass as I can."

The boss man is eventually going mental, almost falling out of his chair and screaming at the slave/butler to hurry up, and the slave/butler's just shuffling along at 0.00000001 miles an hour going, "I's brining ya'll some delicious lemonade,  Bass." 

I think it's probably late 70s early 80s. American movie.  No idea of the actors or what the movie's about, I just remember that one scene and cracking up.

pate

If it had a name I suppose it would be "Master/acoloyte of the five/seven walls of knowledge that the guy didn't know until he knew the fifth/seventh..." or something like that...

It was a weird movie, as all kung-fu (as if) movies of that era were...

Filming an actor jumping off a high place and in the final product reversing the footage to achieve a 'jump' was an old standard and perhaps part of the suspension of disbelief for the films of the day...  so to place that as a marker of uniqueness should be avoided...

If one will forgive me, there was the 'sombrero' with the dangly cotton balls wearing character...

Still with the final scene where the 'hero' sees the ji-jitsu move modeled in stone (in a ruined temple) that wins the match so to speak... 

Kung-fu movies are difficult to trace. 

I imagine that should anyone help me to recall this particular film it will be anticlimactic...  Ho-hum just another kung fu movie (as I fear I will feel if I ever see it again...)

My fifth lost theater:

A young woman is speaking to her psychiatrist. She resembles Bridget Bardot. The shrink resembles Sebastian Cabot.

At some point, the shrink makes a move on her.  She ends up outside.  The psychiatrist chases her and then jumps supernaturally high and lands by her and rips her dress off in a PG type manner.

He jumps in way that reminds me of the Spring-heeled Jack legend.  The film might have merely been showing what the patient was imagining.

A family member remembers this film as well.

Probably filmed in the 1960s.  Unsure what time period is depicted. Possibly a comedy.

pate

Quote from: pate on October 15, 2014, 06:32:18 AM...I shouldn't say awful, because the protagonist was fighting in some sort of ruins with the lessons written in stone around him and he didn't 'get' it until the last scene, where he promptly threw (or punched as one sees it) through the wall depecting (sp) in that last move...  Meaningless Kung Fu movies weren't so meaningless until years later...

The Bryan Cranston question, he dies, not quite at the hands of Gojira, but close enough. 

Where was I?  Oh yeah, that awesome movie and how the heck it relates to the videos I posted.  I don't think it has much to do with Mortal Kombat as a Sega game, for that info see "Big Trouble in Little China"

The crux of the issue, the guy standing in the ruined remains of a temple dedicated to his fighting style...  I had a thought, perhaps that is the place he trained as a child and now at the near end of his life he is standing in the same place, but it isn't recognizable...  Not so outrageous if you consider the twenty years past available in 1970, I know, color films have no place in this thread, perhaps it was from Hong Kong or something...

For political theater (sp) chang kai shek (sp) wasn't around and neither was (sp) mao (sp) I think this movie attempted to ignore that war and wanted to focus on something else, something lost to idiots like me that find a place to beg for some sort of remembering of what was briefly glimpsed if nothing more than to say I was not a screwed up eight year old, I could see and I recall....

That makes me young!  haha

Futile quest (or geas as we I said after reading the rule book...)

Don Quizboy, go for it...

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 30, 2014, 05:56:53 PM
The third film I'm attempting to identify:

A mentally challenged/handicapped/damaged young man steals a small robotic bear statue from an arcade shooting gallery. The type of light-sensor equipped bear you shoot with a light gun to score points and/or make it change direction.

He carries this toy-sized bear under his coat.  He sometimes takes it out and brandishes it at people while growling, frightening them. At some point, possibly before he steals the bear, he has lunch with a few old men who are talking about "black lung" as if about mining and asking him if his lungs were black or pink.

This flick ends,  I think, with the man on the ground crying/screaming in front of a movie theater or perhaps in front of the arcade.  Shot in the 1950s or 1960s and depicts the same time frame.

My young mind interpreted it as chaotic horror instead of as tragedy/drama. Possibly set in a predominantly Italian neighborhood.  The bear was not flat metal as many arcade shooting targets can be, but a three dimensional more complex automaton perhaps sixteen inches tall.

The tone of this movie was like watching a Fellini film while eating lithium-laced popcorn.

I located the name of this film. It's taken a long time:

Andy (1965)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_(film)

It was director Richard Caspar Sarafian's first feature film. Sarafian is better known for directing Vanishing Point and a highly memorable episode of Twilight Zone entitled Living Doll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Sarafian

[attachimg=1]

pate

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 22, 2015, 12:53:10 PM
I located the name of this film. It's taken a long time:

Andy (1965)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_(film)

It was director Richard Caspar Sarafian's first feature film. Sarafian is better known for directing Vanishing Point and a highly memorable episode of Twilight Zone entitled Living Doll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Sarafian

[attachimg=1]

Glad to be of service, no thanks are necessary since I apparently posted the clue in another thread completely.  I didn't want you to lose the thrill of a successful intar-tube search.

Quote from: pate on February 18, 2015, 07:20:51 PM
I have just finished a remote viewing session, I keep getting the name Andy. 

I filmed the brain movies, it made my eyes rain a little.  On regarde:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG4U-UTzSHM

edit:"Andy" - Les Rita Mitsouko

Now, if I could only find the resolve and interest to successfully complete my search for the lost kung-fu movie that apparently was plagueing me some time ago.  I still recall the thing.  I believe I was viewing this masterpiece at a time in my young life when at the top and bottom of the hour I would leap up to the television set (it was one of those "nice" ones designed to look like a piece of furniture, stained and finished knobs, interesting pieces of trim.  This one had a fake drawer complete with brass pulls under the screen), I would leap up to the television set and frantically switch the channels, starting at the VHF (12? channels) then moving on to the UHF (50? channels?) tuning in the 6 to 7 local OTA TV stations trying to catch the beginnings of different television shows with the express intent of hearing as many theme songs as I possibly could.  Man, I still love theme songs.  If I ever win the lottery, which may happen because I believe in supporting my State Education Budget and donate at least once a week, if I ever do win the lottery I intend to be the producer of a full traveling band (horn & string section etc) that will play ONLY television theme songs, from the early days (I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke {sp}, etc) to today's television shows (they may have to improvise, Seinfeld I think hardly qualifies as a theme song, but seems like it could lend itself to improvisation as much the I Dream Of Genie theme song does, I believe one could successfully improvise on that gem for days...).

Where was I?  Oh yeah, the kung-fu movie.  Kung-Fu the original series had an enjoyable theme song as I recall...

Quote from: pate on February 23, 2015, 12:05:04 AM
Glad to be of service, no thanks are necessary since I apparently posted the clue in another thread completely.  I didn't want you to lose the thrill of a successful intar-tube search.

My dear sir:

As you are a fan of the run on sentence, I shall reciprocate.

Yes, no thanks need be given you, but I will thank you to not (even in jest) sully this topic nor obfuscate the successful and happy ending to my long and painful search for a specific movie title by mentioning some tiring 1985 French pop music video that happens to be entitled "Andy" that is in no way related to the story of a mentally handicapped Greek man portrayed in the 1965 film I sought to locate for these many years.

Even if you had intentionally mentioned the correct name of the film, you would unfortunately receive no rewards such as appreciative wreaths composed of vegetable matter cultivated in the netherworld, as I discovered the title in January, during my leave of Bell's Landing.

If you are intimating that your French pop posting adventure was merely a synchronistic clue, we'll have to exhume Jung's remains and have him judge "validity from his morbidity."

Az you blur, sur, az the chessboard squeals.

zeebo

Quote from: pate on October 22, 2014, 05:09:42 AM
...Kung-fu movies are difficult to trace. 

This is true.  And so I issue the following lost movie challenge.  I only remember one scene, but it was hilarious.  There was this kung fu master, who got attacked in his kitchen, and he fought back with chopsticks.