• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Lost Theater - What was the name of that movie?

Started by Camazotz Automat, September 09, 2014, 04:12:59 AM

I've meant to create this thread for a while.  Despite google, imdb, etc, there remains a handful of films/TV whose titles I cannot locate. I simply don't have enough information to go on, or am not using an efficient search string, or am just damned unlucky.

By describing what I remember, maybe someone will recognize it or somehow locate it.

For my first one, I have precious little information:

I believe this is from the 1960s. This scene occurs at the end of the film. A middle-aged woman and a younger man are having drinks over a coffee table. I believe she was wearing gloves and a mink coat. The woman begins to trace the rim of her glass with a finger in repetitive circles.  I "think" it starts vibrating, making a tone, as it is crystal. The man croaks.

I saw this when perhaps seven or eight years old - the glass making a tone, gloves, etc, can be a bad memory/embellished recall, though I can hear the tone in my head as I type this. 

I want to say that the woman was a "medium" but can't say for sure. I want to say that perhaps she was a "fake medium" and was tying up a loose end by killing her partner.

It created a type of child folklore between my older brother and I. We both misunderstood that she had killed the man by rubbing the rim of the crystal glass, when in fact, surely she had poisoned him.

I've tried for a very long time to find this film.  I believe it was a feature film, not a soap opera scene/television series.

If you're suffering a similar torture, post your lost theater notes here.

jazmunda

I have this vivid memory of a Aussie movie I saw as a kid in the 80s about a teenage couple trapped in an abandoned drive-in theatre. It had a very post apocalyptic/punk vibe. I can't remember much else about it but it's always stuck in my mind. It is my lost theatre.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: jazmunda on September 09, 2014, 04:28:48 AM
I have this vivid memory of a Aussie movie I saw as a kid in the 80s about a teenage couple trapped in an abandoned drive-in theatre. It had a very post apocalyptic/punk vibe. I can't remember much else about it but it's always stuck in my mind. It is my lost theatre.

I think this is it:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090915/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

jazmunda

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 09, 2014, 10:42:16 AM
I think this is it:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090915/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

OMG! That is it. I can't believe it. Reading the reviews on IMDB it looks like it has received a cult following. My memory of it is hazy but I always thought it was so bad that it was so great. I'm not sure if I should download and re-watch and potentially be disappointed or let it stay immortalized in my mind.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: jazmunda on September 09, 2014, 03:08:06 PM
OMG! That is it. I can't believe it. Reading the reviews on IMDB it looks like it has received a cult following. My memory of it is hazy but I always thought it was so bad that it was so great. I'm not sure if I should download and re-watch and potentially be disappointed or let it stay immortalized in my mind.

I think I saw it years ago, but it looks like a fun one to revisit.

zeebo

I have one, seriously I know I saw this thing like twenty years ago, but have no idea what it was.  It was this sort of mystical movie about this, I don't know, some kind of zen warrior, who had to pass these various trials, including one where he fights himself in his own dreams or something like that.

At the end he climbs this mountain, and at the top he finds this book which supposedly holds the ultimate wisdom he's been seeking.  When he opens the book, it's a mirror.  Anyone have any idea?

Tarbaby

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 09, 2014, 04:12:59 AM
I've meant to create this thread for a while.  Despite google, imdb, etc, there remains a handful of films/TV whose titles I cannot locate. I simply don't have enough information to go on, or am not using an efficient search string, or am just damned unlucky.

By describing what I remember, maybe someone will recognize it or somehow locate it.

For my first one, I have precious little information:

I believe this is from the 1960s. This scene occurs at the end of the film. A middle-aged woman and a younger man are having drinks over a coffee table. I believe she was wearing gloves and a mink coat. The woman begins to trace the rim of her glass with a finger in repetitive circles.  I "think" it starts vibrating, making a tone, as it is crystal. The man croaks.

I saw this when perhaps seven or eight years old - the glass making a tone, gloves, etc, can be a bad memory/embellished recall, though I can hear the tone in my head as I type this. 

I want to say that the woman was a "medium" but can't say for sure. I want to say that perhaps she was a "fake medium" and was tying up a loose end by killing her partner.

It created a type of child folklore between my older brother and I. We both misunderstood that she had killed the man by rubbing the rim of the crystal glass, when in fact, surely she had poisoned him.

I've tried for a very long time to find this film.  I believe it was a feature film, not a soap opera scene/television series.

If you're suffering a similar torture, post your lost theater notes here.
as I followed your description what came to my mind was a movie called "dressed in green". 1946. I can still distinctly see the woman running her finger around the rim of her Glass as she hypnotized… Well, I can't reveal too much… And this may well be the wrong movie because some of the elements were different. So I'm not sure if that is because of your memory.

onan

Quote from: zeebo on September 09, 2014, 05:07:19 PM
I have one, seriously I know I saw this thing like twenty years ago, but have no idea what it was.  It was this sort of mystical movie about this, I don't know, some kind of zen warrior, who had to pass these various trials, including one where he fights himself in his own dreams or something like that.

At the end he climbs this mountain, and at the top he finds this book which supposedly holds the ultimate wisdom he's been seeking.  When he opens the book, it's a mirror.  Anyone have any idea?

Circle of Iron

zeebo

Quote from: onan on September 09, 2014, 05:45:52 PM
Circle of Iron

OMG you're right!  I just checked it on imdb.  Thank you, I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.

(Sorry to all btw for the end-of-movie spoiler I gave away, in case anyone actually finds it and watches it.)

Kelt

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 09, 2014, 05:26:55 PM
as I followed your description what came to my mind was a movie called "dressed in green". 1946. I can still distinctly see the woman running her finger around the rim of her Glass as she hypnotized… Well, I can't reveal too much… And this may well be the wrong movie because some of the elements were different. So I'm not sure if that is because of your memory.

Unfortunately it was not the right film. I appreciate your help nonetheless.

Not knowing the answer has been quite the silver thorn in my brain. 

It's cool to see some successful results for others so quickly. 

I have already started what I am sure will be an eclectic "must watch" list from the answers, despite Kelt's contribution.  Heh.

Quote from: zeebo on September 09, 2014, 05:54:12 PM
(Sorry to all btw for the end-of-movie spoiler I gave away, in case anyone actually finds it and watches it.)

What an excellent practical joke to have such a prop book while on a plane, feigning complete absorption ..... waiting for someone to ask that question....

"whatcha reading? Is it good?"

"Oh, this is the best thing I've ever looked at..." 

etc.

[attachimg=1]

paladin1991

Quote from: zeebo on September 09, 2014, 05:54:12 PM

That's alright.  Now I don't have to watch the movie.

Fucker.

I saw a move the weekend before the 1972 elections. It was a satire called "Richard" and it was  a satire of the political carrier of Nixon. It included a scene of 'Nixon' parody of the "clockwork orange' scene with Nixon's eyes being braced open to watch his old speeches resulting in the so called 'New Nixon' .
This movie appears to have completely disappeared, possibly hunted down and burned after Nixon got in his 2nd term. It disappeared from the theatre on the Monday  before the election. Very funny movie.

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 10, 2014, 10:28:56 AM
That's alright.  Now I don't have to watch the movie. ..

Ok I doubt anyone's gonna actually watch this thing, but just in case ... yep sorry I got too verbose in my hopes to get an answer.  But as I remember, the flick is just weird enough to still be worth watching.  Here's the spoiler-free synopsis from imdb.   :D

Circle of Iron (1978)
A young martial artist, Cord the Seeker, goes on a quest for the Book of All Knowlege held by a wizard named Zetan. Along the way, he meets strange tests and challenges by enemies and allies - often having difficulty determining which is which.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 09, 2014, 04:12:59 AM
...This scene occurs at the end of the film. A middle-aged woman and a younger man are having drinks over a coffee table.....

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 09, 2014, 05:26:55 PM
as I followed your description what came to my mind was a movie called "dressed in green". 1946. ....

Cam, is it possible it was instead, The Woman in Green (1945), one of the Sherlock Holmes movies?  Check the plot, here.

Quote from: zeebo on September 10, 2014, 09:52:52 PM
Cam, is it possible it was instead, The Woman in Green (1945), one of the Sherlock Holmes movies?  Check the plot, here.

Zeebo, my apologies for getting back to you so late. Unfortunately, The Woman in Green is not the film.

Later today, I hope to add another one of my lost films. I want to compose the description off line to make it as succinct as possible.

One I have yet to list could very well be the same movie as my first entry above that ends with the woman poisoning the man over drinks while rubbing the rim of her crystal glass, creating a musical tone. 

Meaning, I may have bifurcated the memory, creating two searches later in life.

That would be one sweet deal if it is the same flick and is located, but for the time being, I consider it a separate silver thorn in my mind, violating the hemispheres (astral pincushion).

It will be the next lost film I post.  I will hopefully get that done today. 

Thanks for your try, zeebo.

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on September 10, 2014, 12:59:53 PM
I saw a move the weekend before the 1972 elections. It was a satire called "Richard" and it was  a satire of the political carrier of Nixon. It included a scene of 'Nixon' parody of the "clockwork orange' scene with Nixon's eyes being braced open to watch his old speeches resulting in the so called 'New Nixon' .
This movie appears to have completely disappeared, possibly hunted down and burned after Nixon got in his 2nd term. It disappeared from the theatre on the Monday  before the election. Very funny movie.

UA, instead of not remembering the title of the movie, yours is/was almost literally "lost" to history.

The most recent screening I found for it was November 01, 2012 at around 7 PM, the Roy and Niuta Titus theaters.  Part of To Save and Project : MoMA's 10th annual international festival of film preservation that showcased "newly restored masterworks and rediscoveries."

I pulled this off the PDF file of the festival schedule:

"Richard. 1972. USA. Written and directed by Harry Hurwitz, Loreen Yerby. With Richard M. Dixon, Mickey Rooney, John Carradine , Vivian Blane, Imogen Bliss, Marvin Braverman. One of the rarest and most demented American indies of the 1970s, and surely one of the most prescient, Hurwitz and Yerby's not entirely unsympathetic satire of Nixon, made pre-Watergate, ricochets from movie cliché to movie cliché â€" sentimental log cabin biopic, histrionic war epic, 1930s horror, and parodies of Myra Breckinridge and Clockwork Orange â€" and surprisingly, much of it works. Hurwitz and Yerby incorporated television and newsreel footage, including Nixon's "Checkers" speech, to clever effect, blurring the lines between lies and truth, and the film offers a compelling counterpoint to the "official" Nixon home movies presented in To Save and Protect on October 28. The cast rivals Tricia's Wedding in its absurdity, featuring look-and-sound alike Richard M. Dixon as Tricky Dick; Mickey Rooney as the guardian angel/shrink who must rally him after every political defeat; Kevin McCarthy, who leads a team of brainwashers and political operatives; and John Carradine as the insane plastic surgeon who gives him the face that launched a thousand caricatures. Rare (unrestored) archival print courtesy of the Joe Dante and Jon Davison Collection at the Academy Film Archive. 83 min."

The full PDF of that 2012 festival schedule, listing several rare films, can be found here:

http://press.moma.org/wp-content/files_mf/momafilm_tosaveandproject2012_pressrelease_final80.pdf

Tarbaby

Quote from: zeebo on September 10, 2014, 09:52:52 PM
ha! I had conflated two Sherlock Holmes movies, "Dressed to Kill" and "the woman in green". Save goes to Zeebo! Er, even though it turned out to be the wrong movie. :-[

My second lost movie:

The setting is the 1960s, New York City or similar. American film.

A young woman is terrorized when she believes she has shot an intruder and/or relative. At one point, the body is hidden on the top of an elevator car and it  travels up and down for a while.  Blood begins to leak into the elevator. The body disappears after that.

In another part, the corpse is placed in a seating position and coated with cement until it looks like a statue.  That statue is dumped into a body of water from a boat.

The whole time, the person she shot is not actually dead and keeps returning to "haunt" her. I believe at one point he wears the bloody sheet that was used to cover him up at the beginning of the story.

I suspect it is a conspiracy to get an inheritance or the control of something. 

The image of the supposed cement encased body being dumped is vivid. I believe I have even seen that particular scene in a book of horror stories.

My memory may have added this: They put flowers on the statue before dropping it into the ocean/lake.

I am fairly confident it was filmed in the 1960s and depicts the same time frame.

This is also my belief about my first lost film listed.

The terror induced by the young man she believes she has shot had a Clockwork Orange tone to it â€" a dangerous thug breaking into a residence, frightening her enough to use a previously gaffed firearm on him.

This movie COULD be one and the same as my first lost movie, and I have divided up the main plot from the ending.  If that is the case, the young man partnered with an older woman, who might have been portraying herself as a psychic medium to "help" the young woman they are driving crazy. Once they succeed in getting rid of the girl, the man is then poisoned by the older woman/psychic/his partner in crime.

The young woman may be forced to kill the man more than once before she loses her mind.  Not sure. In my memory, he sort of looked like Olver Reed, but I've checked Reed's movies with no luck.

No wonder I can't find this thing. I have no actor names. Nothing truly odd enough to pinpoint it. I've tried using the cement coated body in a search string.  I've tried  - horror film elevator insane - etc etc... several key words...  brings up way too many hits for other things....  and then at some point, I use so many key words that I believe describes the movie, it brings up zero hits.

Let's Scare Jessica To Death is often suggested, but that's not it.

[attachimg=1]

Tarbaby

Just like your first one I remember this one also. Cars not enough to help you. I was thinking Hitchcock but it sounds even more bizarre than Hitchcock. Marx brothers? Joe Besser? Gregory Peck? I keed.

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 29, 2014, 01:26:22 PM
Just like your first one I remember this one also. Of course not enough to help you. I was thinking Hitchcock but it sounds even more bizarre than Hitchcock. Marx brothers? Joe Besser? Gregory Peck? I kid.

But I appreciate your effort.

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 29, 2014, 01:26:22 PM
Just like your first one I remember this one also. Cars not enough to help you. I was thinking Hitchcock but it sounds even more bizarre than Hitchcock. Marx brothers? Joe Besser? Gregory Peck? I keed.

That's the first time I've ever seen Joe Besser and Gregory Peck mentioned at the same time.  Go to the head of the class!

Kelt

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 29, 2014, 01:14:18 PM
My second lost movie:

A young woman is terrorized when she believes she has shot an intruder and/or relative. At one point, the body is hidden on the top of an elevator car and it  travels up and down for a while.  Blood begins to leak into the elevator. The body disappears after that.

In another part, the corpse is placed in a seating position and coated with cement until it looks like a statue.  That statue is dumped into a body of water from a boat.

The whole time, the person she shot is not actually dead and keeps returning to "haunt" her. I believe at one point he wears the bloody sheet that was used to cover him up at the beginning of the story.

The image of the supposed cement encased body being dumped is vivid. I believe I have even seen that particular scene in a book of horror stories.

My memory may have added this: They put flowers on the statue before dropping it into the ocean/lake.

I am fairly confident it was filmed in the 1960s and depicts the same time frame.

The terror induced by the young man she believes she has shot had a Clockwork Orange tone to it â€" a dangerous thug breaking into a residence, frightening her enough to use a previously gaffed firearm on him.

This movie COULD be one and the same as my first lost movie, and I have divided up the main plot from the ending.  If that is the case, the young man partnered with an older woman, who might have been portraying herself as a psychic medium to "help" the young woman they are driving crazy. Once they succeed in getting rid of the girl, the man is then poisoned by the older woman/psychic/his partner in crime.

The young woman may be forced to kill the man more than once before she loses her mind.  Not sure. In my memory, he sort of looked like Olver Reed, but I've checked Reed's movies with no luck.

No wonder I can't find this thing. I have no actor names. Nothing truly odd enough to pinpoint it. I've tried using the cement coated body in a search string.  I've tried  - horror film elevator insane - etc etc... several key words...  brings up way too many hits for other things....  and then at some point, I use so many key words that I believe describes the movie, it brings up zero hits.

[attachimg=1]

Sounds like Manhattan Murder Mystery by Woody Allen, but that's not at all 1960s, so probably not that then. 

area51drone

This one is not a movie, but a series that aired on PBS in Washington State, about a Grandma who, each episode, took her grandkids around to see all the cool things that Washington has to offer.   I know it's a long shot, but I can't remember the name of the show and no one I've asked before remembers it.

Quote from: Kelt on September 29, 2014, 02:57:41 PM
Sounds like Manhattan Murder Mystery by Woody Allen, but that's not at all 1960s, so probably not that then.

I wish Woody had directed this. It would be a helluva lot easier to locate and the flick would have given me only one quarter the scare and twice the laughs.

coaster

Quote from: area51drone on September 29, 2014, 03:25:00 PM
This one is not a movie, but a series that aired on PBS in Washington State, about a Grandma who, each episode, took her grandkids around to see all the cool things that Washington has to offer.   I know it's a long shot, but I can't remember the name of the show and no one I've asked before remembers it.
Found this on another site. 
- "It was called 'Grandma and the Kids.' My fourth grade class watched it on video in the early 90s in Vancouver WA. "

yumyumtree

A character (maybe John Cusack but I'm not sure) does something we have all wanted to do in a public place--tells off a stranger having a loud, inane conversation with another stranger.  I thought it might be High Fidelity but it isn't. the scene is a bit reminiscent of the famous Five Easy Pieces scene about the chicken salad sandwich, except he takes a risk and engages with someone not already engaging with him.

I thought of another one.  Characters are playing some mysterious card game at different times in the movie.  A character observing never learns the rules or name or objective of the game and it seems that the rules may be changing, that it's an attempt at some psychological trick or something.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 29, 2014, 01:14:18 PM
My second lost movie:

Weekend at Bernie's?