• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hannibal

Started by Chine, August 31, 2014, 08:50:19 AM

Chine

Who's watching Hannibal? I just started it two weeks ago out of curiosity and had a week long binge. What a brilliant series. I've loved Mads Mikkelsen for years, including his work as a dancer, and really love his portrayal as Hannibal. It's fantastically creepy and smart. And the culinary scenes are gorgeous ( even though they're body parts) ha.

Fantastically creepy and smart.  OK, I'm hooked. 
I'll be starting this this evening.  Probably be up all damn night, grumble, grumble, grumble....

Tee hee...(Looking forward to it)

Chine

Dark, creepy, elegant and smart. And considering Mads Mikkelsen as a dancer prior to his work as an actor, there's an elegance in his carriage as Hannibal. It's slight, but as a former dancer and actor, I picked up on it immediately. As the physicality an actor brings to a role is effective and fleshes more so. Even friends of mine in the industry, including those who have worked with Fuller recommended it. I was skeptical. Yet, one night, I decided to watch the first episode. Before I knew it, I was up til 3 am watching two seasons all week long. But again, as with any series, a book, film or a painting ... We all will have our own experiencing of it. What appeals to one may not be the case with another. But yep. I'm hooked and love it. Can't wait for the new season.

CA

Mikkelsen's prerequisite to accepting the role - that of being allowed to portray Hannibal as an incarnation of Lucifer - speaks volumes to his mastery.

As Mads/Hannibal/Lucifer might say: This series is a beast one would not normally expect to discover roaming the fields of these anemic broadcast television wastelands.

Death with heart. Blood with meaning. Darkness ... with vision.

Hand me that spine extruder if you would please.

~Thank you, so much.~

I hope, Jack, you ... guess my name.......

^      ^       ^       ^       ^       ^
(This last sentence, Mikkelsen turns his head upward toward Jack, grinning, but does not stop grinding that pagan pepper mill like a blasphemous prayer wheel.)

Catsmile

Yeah It's a good show, can't wait for season 3 to start.
Without a doubt it's worth time spent to watch both seasons, 26 episodes total.

My thoughts of Hannibal from the "The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread... ."

Quote from: Catsmile on May 24, 2014, 02:47:29 AM
Just finished watching NBCs Hannibal season 2.
In my opinion, it is one of the best shows on TV that nobody is watching.
Although it may not be everyones cup of tea, due to the subject matter.

Hannibal has some of the most beautiful macabre cinematographic scenes, and locations with gothic hints that I have seen, on any network TV program airing today, period.
Good acting, well written, doesn't spoon feed the audience. Although some of the shows are a little uneven throughout it's 2 season run, overall it's really a watchable show. The dark nature of the show makes it hard to instantly digest. Going back for seconds, or thirds, may give your palate time to adjust to the flavor Hannibal cooks up for your viewing pleasure.

You have to watch, pay attention, and learn whats going on between the characters as they develop, not just the dialogue, but the body language as well. Sometimes it's whats left unsaid, or a characters subtle reaction that creates the mystery, intrigue and tension. Stirring your thoughts, making you wonder if what you've seen and heard are true, or are you being misdirected. Much like Lecters next meal. The interplay between the two main characters drives you onward, awaiting and discovering whats about to unfold next. Season 2 left me hungry, and wanting more. Now I await the next course, salivating at what Hannibal will serve next season forthcoming.

Chine

Quote from: Catsmile on August 31, 2014, 02:28:14 PM
Yeah It's a good show, can't wait for season 3 to start.
Without a doubt it's worth time spent to watch both seasons, 26 episodes total.

My thoughts of Hannibal from the "The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread... ."

I actually looked through threads to find discussion on it. I didn't think to look there as I usually follow the 'I watch/watched' thread for film. Maybe I can coerce MV to create a board for film/tv/arts.
Will be easier than scrolling down topics in General Discussion .
I rarely watched tv in the past, but as of recent, there's been great calibre presented in writing/acting etc for television. Also, since Breaking Bad, Dexter and shows that I've dearly loved have come to an end. And NetFlix series 'The Killing.' So currently, favs are Hannibal, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, AHS.

But back to this series. Yeah, at night, I like to watch a great series as I wind down. I'm also considering to paint him. Either as just Mads or Mads as Hannibal. I'll share if I do.

Ooooooooo, deliciously creepy!!  Pun intended.  On episode 4 of the first season.

Thanks, Chine.  I'll never sleep tonight!!   :P  At least I won't be snacking while I'm binge-watching....

Chine

Quote from: Treading Water on August 31, 2014, 06:45:28 PM
Ooooooooo, deliciously creepy!!  Pun intended.  On episode 4 of the first season.

Thanks, Chine.  I'll never sleep tonight!!   :P  At least I won't be snacking while I'm binge-watching....

Haha! And isn't he (Mads) delicious? I'd eat him. Actually, I'm seriously going to attempt to paint him. Maybe I can eat the painting? (Ala Red Dragon). Kidding. But, yes... Going to save photos of him and in between commissions, try to paint him.

Enjoy!

Quote from: Chine on August 31, 2014, 07:01:43 PM

Haha! And isn't he (Mads) delicious? I'd eat him. Actually, I'm seriously going to attempt to paint him. Maybe I can eat the painting? (Ala Red Dragon). Kidding. But, yes... Going to save photos of him and in between commissions, try to paint him.

Enjoy!

I love it that he doesn't smell someone, he inhales them.  Exquisitely.  Brrrrrrr....

Chine

Quote from: Treading Water on September 01, 2014, 10:44:54 AM
I love it that he doesn't smell someone, he inhales them.  Exquisitely.  Brrrrrrr....

I think I just broke into a sweat reading this post.

Chine

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 31, 2014, 12:42:56 PM
CA

Mikkelsen's prerequisite to accepting the role - that of being allowed to portray Hannibal as an incarnation of Lucifer - speaks volumes to his mastery.

As Mads/Hannibal/Lucifer might say: This series is a beast one would not normally expect to discover roaming the fields of these anemic broadcast television wastelands.

Death with heart. Blood with meaning. Darkness ... with vision.

Hand me that spine extruder if you would please.

~Thank you, so much.~

I hope, Jack, you ... guess my name.......

^      ^       ^       ^       ^       ^
(This last sentence, Mikkelsen turns his head upward toward Jack, grinning, but does not stop grinding that pagan pepper mill like a blasphemous prayer wheel.)

Beautiful. Found this interview with Fuller discussing it. http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1677

b_dubb

Quote from: Chine on September 01, 2014, 10:52:40 AM
I think I just broke into a sweat reading this post.
Uh ohhhhhh

Noooooo. I finished season 1.  I went to hit the watch button for season 2 and, and, and, and....the dirty bastards want $2.99 an episode.  WTF??  I tried the network website and they have the last three episodes up for viewing, but I haven't seen the TEN before them.

Damn!! 

paladin1991

It's on my list.  Just not enough time to watch everything I want to.  This damn work ethic keeps getting in my way.

Ms. C

Okay, this thread made me curious, and since I have read  all Thomas Harris's books, and have seen all movies relating to Hannibal in the past ...  Amazon Prime allowed me to have a weekend binge with Season One and I have only two more episodes to go ... then I see Trending Waters comment .... and I'll add an additional DAMN!  $2.99 per episode for Season two ... pfffttt  ...

It was also a treat to see a few  actors from some classic shows (i.e.  Gillian Anderson aka Dana Scully) ... brings fond memories of those X-File days.

Well, let me finish these last few episodes and figure out what to do about Season 2 ... (perhaps Amazon will let it go free in Prime when Season Three begins? ... or I may just have to break down and order the dvd.

Thanks for the thread Chine ...

Chine

Quote from: Ms. C on September 08, 2014, 06:43:49 AM
Okay, this thread made me curious, and since I have read  all Thomas Harris's books, and have seen all movies relating to Hannibal in the past ...  Amazon Prime allowed me to have a weekend binge with Season One and I have only two more episodes to go ... then I see Trending Waters comment .... and I'll add an additional DAMN!  $2.99 per episode for Season two ... pfffttt  ...

It was also a treat to see a few  actors from some classic shows (i.e.  Gillian Anderson aka Dana Scully) ... brings fond memories of those X-File days.

Well, let me finish these last few episodes and figure out what to do about Season 2 ... (perhaps Amazon will let it go free in Prime when Season Three begins? ... or I may just have to break down and order the dvd.

Thanks for the thread Chine ...

I'm very excited for Season 3 as Bedelia (Gillian Anderson) will have a more prominent role. Her relationship with Hannibal will be explored more. Gillian Anderson is amazing and as Mads is also... Can't wait!  Their scenes together are riveting. I haven't read the books but may do so now. I think the series is visually stunning to. Beautiful cinematography. Not sure when Season 3 is out. Sometime next year?

bateman

Quote from: Chine on September 08, 2014, 08:48:01 PM

I'm very excited for Season 3 as Bedelia (Gillian Anderson) will have a more prominent role. Her relationship with Hannibal will be explored more. Gillian Anderson is amazing and as Mads is also... Can't wait!  Their scenes together are riveting. I haven't read the books but may do so now. I think the series is visually stunning to. Beautiful cinematography. Not sure when Season 3 is out. Sometime next year?

Started watching when she joined the cast - glad I did. Also recommend checking out The Fall if you haven't already:

http://youtu.be/dyFrBC1rAcg

Chine

Quote from: bateman on September 08, 2014, 09:52:58 PM
Started watching when she joined the cast - glad I did. Also recommend checking out The Fall if you haven't already:

http://youtu.be/dyFrBC1rAcg

Oh, yes. I've been watching The Fall. It's another one that's so refreshingly intriguing and smart. Also, beautifully shot.

Quote from: bateman on September 08, 2014, 09:52:58 PM

Damn.  How'd I miss this one?  I watch entirely too much TV.  But I'll be peeking at this one soon.
They don't give you a taste, then charge $2.99 and episode afterward, do they??      ::)

Chine

Quote from: Treading Water on September 09, 2014, 04:38:02 AM
Damn.  How'd I miss this one?  I watch entirely too much TV.  But I'll be peeking at this one soon.
They don't give you a taste, then charge $2.99 and episode afterward, do they??      ::)

Ha. I find myself saying, 'I don't watch much tv.' Then I find myself mentioning in the next breath 'Oh! Yes, and AHS Freak Show is coming out next month and... And.. Oh and this show.

I think Hannibal is my no 1 fav. AHS Freak Show is only promising because Lange, Bates and Bassett are back.

Usually I will enjoy one series throughout two weeks. Late at night, before bed, I'll watch a few episodes.

Chine

I just started watching 'The Blacklist' on NetFlix with James Spader and really enjoying it. Mostly because of Spader. The series, in my opinion, isn't as strong as Hannibal as a whole. But, Spader is just so compelling as is his character.

Quote from: Chine on September 21, 2014, 01:26:16 PM
I just started watching 'The Blacklist' on NetFlix with James Spader and really enjoying it. Mostly because of Spader. The series, in my opinion, isn't as strong as Hannibal as a whole. But, Spader is just so compelling as is his character.

I've had a "thing" for James Spader since Jack's Back.  And White Palace - hokey romance, but James & Susan Sarandon made it work for me.   8)  Not to mention he was such a good, smarmy dick in Pretty in Pink. 

wr250

Quote from: Chine on September 21, 2014, 01:26:16 PM
skip ahead to 40 seconds if you like.

Alton Brown & Koko Karl (Protein Bars)

Chine

Quote from: Treading Water on September 21, 2014, 03:10:25 PM
I've had a "thing" for James Spader since Jack's Back.  And White Palace - hokey romance, but James & Susan Sarandon made it work for me.   8)  Not to mention he was such a good, smarmy dick in Pretty in Pink.

I think many of us women have had a thing for him.  ;)  I'm going to be 49 (tomorrow is my birthday!) and indeed loved him in Pretty In Pink as well. Also, Less Than Zero, The Secretary and many more. While I was living in NYC in the late 80s, my roommate was working at Bergdorfs. She told me that he came in there one afternoon and no one could keep their eyes off of him. Including the men. She said he was even more beautiful than on screen and had that 'something' beautiful too beyond the physical.

Oh, right. This is the Hannibal thread. Sorry to turn it into the Sultry Male Lead thread. haha.

Wr.. love that video, never seen it before.

wr250

Quote from: Chine on September 21, 2014, 05:23:11 PM
Wr.. love that video, never seen it before.

alton brown is really strange. he had a cooking show called good eats.the show is hilarious.  his goal was to combine :
julia child, mr wizard, and monty python all into one show.

Chine

Quote from: wr250 on September 21, 2014, 05:37:19 PM
alton brown is really strange. he had a cooking show called good eats.the show is hilarious.  his goal was to combine :
julia child, mr wizard, and monty python all into one show.

I've seen his show a couple times as my husband used to watch it often. I enjoyed it.

maureen

My dear Chine, may you have the happiest of birthdays, full of love and laughter!! I raise a glass to your very good health!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHINE!!   ;D

One of my custom card drawings accompanied by the appropriately wry commentary (both on the card and in this post.)

Oh, you lucky girl, you.  Quite possibly the best card you've ever received.

Feel free to print it out on rare heavy card stock material recovered from a rusted apple-green filing cabinet standing sentinel in the back room of an abandoned furniture store in Far Rockaway, New York.

Chine

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 22, 2014, 09:47:46 AM
One of my custom card drawings accompanied by the appropriately wry commentary (both on the card and in this post.)

Oh, you lucky girl, you.  Quite possibly the best card you've ever received.

Feel free to print it out on rare heavy card stock material recovered from a rusted apple-green filing cabinet standing sentinel in the back room of an abandoned furniture store in Far Rockaway, New York.

Haha! Oh no! I love it, Caz!  Thank you so much.

And Treading, Maureen..thank you, ladies! xoxo

My husband and I celebrated over the weekend. Nice dinner, cake etc. Today ... Just musing, reflecting. Have a painting to start but as it's my birthday I may wait til tomorrow and just go by the seat of my pants.  :)