• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Do You Believe In GOD

Started by ksm32, August 18, 2014, 09:21:04 PM

WildCard

C. S. Lewis turned the argument that the 'resurrection myth was universal' on it's head:
If so many people from different times and places told the same story, didn't that suggest that it really did happen?

onan

Quote from: WildCard on September 21, 2014, 06:10:09 PM
C. S. Lewis turned the argument that the 'resurrection myth was universal' on it's head:
If so many people from different times and places told the same story, didn't that suggest that it really did happen?

Everyone talks about Santa Claus every year.

WildCard

Quote from: onan on September 21, 2014, 06:46:00 PM
I'm not givin up. Keep hope alive!
Every year it doesn't happen brings us one year closer to the year it will.

Quote from: WildCard on September 21, 2014, 06:10:09 PM

Yeah, like if you read it on the Internet it means it must be true.

...but nobody ever does anything about him.

WildCard

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 21, 2014, 06:55:40 PM
Yeah, like if you read it on the Internet it means it must be true.
I'm confused . . . more than usual.
Weren't you the one who brought up the universality of the resurrection myth.

Or you're talking about myths?
No, just because you read it on the cave wall doesn't make it true. But it's interesting.

area51drone

onan, you're a genius.. there should be a "Do You Believe in SANTA CLAUS" thread for certain.  I'll let you start it since you're the one who thought it up.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on September 22, 2014, 12:11:05 AM
....there should be a "Do You Believe in SANTA CLAUS" thread for certain.  ...

C'mon both Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are totally real since they're both associated with religious holidays, everyone knows this. 

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 17, 2014, 10:27:25 AM
I don't have to imagine it.  FTF already posted a link that expresses his belief that it's sinful to question any of the bullshit in the christian religion.

Interesting. I don`t recall expressing that belief at all. I reckon you could produce that link where I did, yes?

Quote from: area51drone on September 17, 2014, 11:02:49 AM
And it's not sinful to tell people to fuck off, as long as you do so with your bare ass.   

I know you`re going to be shocked, but I think God has a pretty good sense of humor. And if you aren`t from Ohio or Michigan, you probably don`t get the fuckin` joke ( :-X Oh no! am I goin` to hell, drone??), but I am confident in the Lord`s ability. ;)

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 22, 2014, 08:12:58 AM
Interesting. I don`t recall expressing that belief at all. I reckon you could produce that link where I did, yes?
http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,6581.30.html

the following link generally reflects what most Christians -- myself included -- believe

"...we know that to question God’s plan and its timing is to question God Himself, His judgment, His character and His very nature. It is not wise to question His right to do exactly as He pleases....Nevertheless, our responsibility to God is to obey Him, to trust Him, and to submit to His will, whether we understand it or not..."

Please don't take this personally....oh, what the fuck, go ahead and take it personally, I really don't care.  This tactic of demanding that someone run off and fulfill little tasks to "prove" stuff to you is the same crap that troofers and conspiracy theorists do.  It's a chickenshit technique that does nothing productive other than tie up one's time.  I did it now to show that I can, but don't expect a reply when you demand it in the future.

If folks are contending that the Resurrection of Jesus was somehow lifted from pagan mythology, well, they would be pretty lonely in that belief. There`s probably not 5 or 6 scholars in the world today (out of thousands!), that would argue that contention. And, further, the ones that do, probably are complete fringe elements without a handful of peer reviewed essays.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 22, 2014, 08:25:34 AM
If folks are contending that the Resurrection of Jesus was somehow lifted from pagan mythology, well, they would be pretty lonely in that belief. There`s probably not 5 or 6 scholars in the world today (out of thousands!), that would argue that contention. And, further, the ones that do, probably are complete fringe elements without a handful of peer reviewed essays.

That's what I admire about you.  Never do you pull wild speculation out of your ass, trim it to conform to your belief, and present it as incontestable proof.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 22, 2014, 08:25:14 AM
http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,6581.30.html

"...we know that to question God’s plan and its timing is to question God Himself, His judgment, His character and His very nature. It is not wise to question His right to do exactly as He pleases....Nevertheless, our responsibility to God is to obey Him, to trust Him, and to submit to His will, whether we understand it or not..."

Please don't take this personally....oh, what the fuck, go ahead and take it personally, I really don't care.  This tactic of demanding that someone run off and fulfill little tasks to "prove" stuff to you is the same crap that troofers and conspiracy theorists do.  It's a chickenshit technique that does nothing productive other than tie up one's time.  I did it now to show that I can, but don't expect a reply when you demand it in the future.

Yeah, again, could you show me where I said it was sinful to question anything in the Christion faith?  I posted that link in response to a question about why God doesn`t destroy Satan. So...

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 22, 2014, 08:29:36 AM
That's what I admire about you.  Never do you pull wild speculation out of your ass, trim it to conform to your belief, and present it as incontestable proof.

Well, then go ahead and list your scholars that believe the Resurrection of Jesus was inspired by Pagan mythology. Should be pretty easy. And Bill Maher doesn`t count.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 22, 2014, 08:31:44 AM
Yeah, again, could you show me where I said it was sinful to question anything in the Christion faith

Holy fuckin shit.  You MUST be fucking with me.  Nobody is THAT big of an imbecile.

b_dubb

If we reduced the snark a little the discussion would be that much better.

Quote from: b_dubb on September 22, 2014, 10:19:50 AM

If we reduced the imbecility the discussion would be better still.

Just curious - where do you stand on human causation of climate change?

Quote from: b_dubb on September 22, 2014, 10:19:50 AM

Good luck.

Tell me how it turns out.

b_dubb

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 22, 2014, 10:39:05 AM
If we reduced the imbecility the discussion would be better still.
Maybe instead of personal attacks you could do as requested and supply links to information that supports your position. 

Quote from: b_dubb on September 22, 2014, 02:22:41 PM
Maybe instead of personal attacks you could do as requested and supply links to information that supports your position.

I did that.  I posted a link and even quoted the text to make it extra special easy.  It's right here, several posts up.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the Anne Sullivan patience necessary to deal with our special needs friend here.  I'm just tired of it.  If he can't comprehend simple shit then someone else is going to have to explain the support I post to him.  Really, when he makes a claim like "religion doesn't control people" or "an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in the christian god" is it my responsibility to post links to debunk it?  Maybe I need to post six notarized scholarly articles that disprove that water is dry, the sun is cold, or that drinking poison is good for your health.

Catsmile

The thousands of scholars are making extraordinary claims. In court and science the onus of proof is always on those making the extraordinary claims. What proof do scholars have that make their extraordinary claims beyond reproach? There are thousands of them backing each other up, finding proof should be easy. Right? A shroud, and many times removed rewritten accounts of 2nd and 3rd hand accounts don't count as fact, or proof not even in small claims court, much less in science.

Show all the thousands of scholars hard facts for the questions below.
Was Jesus really dead on the cross?
Was Jesus resurrected from death?
Was Jesus really God?
Is that God the all powerful God that created all the Cosmos?
Did that God create the Cosmos from nothing?
If there was nothing where did God come from?
Did God create itself out of nothingness? 
God just willed itself into existence from nothing, like a big bang?
If God always was, how was there nothing?
What was before God?
WHO created what existed before God?
Was it Gods God?
What existed before Gods God?
What created all that was before Gods God?
Infinite regress ensues. Will the real God, or Gods please stand up.

You see these scholars for all their supposed intelligence and wisdom have careers who’s foundations are build on quicksand. Their whole authority of the subject is based on hearsay many times removed, and almost no hard facts. If they were intellectually honest they would try to answer the questions above. Yet they don't dare even ask them, much less try to answer them with facts. The only answers they give are thousands of years old dogma. Seems their whole careers are based on trying to shore up the quicksand and dogma that Christianity is built on. Yet you want us to accept what they say as unassailable facts, without question based simply on their job title. Christianity demands the same blind obedience. Funny how that works out. And if we do question them you accuse us of being arrogant and ignorant. 

And before you doge my whole post by saying look it up for yourself. I have spent many years looking into religions, not just Christianity. Including being lucky enough to talk to scholars. The intellectually honest ones when pressed with the above questions person to person would probably disappoint you. Sometimes they read their intended audience, and just tell them what they want to hear. Which isn't being intellectually honest, but pandering. The things some people will do for position, authority, and money.   ::)

People believe all kinds of things, that is okay by me. Personally I believe in a Cosmos with a god, and a Cosmos without a god. Either one, or both at the same time. I reckon that sounds hypocritical on the surface, especially if you limit your reality. That’s okay too. It's only a belief that has no real bearing on what seems like from our vantage point the miracle of existence, or miracle of being, whatever it may be. Just don't try to pass belief off as fact, or truth. That is the beauty of belief, hard facts and truth are not required.

Honestly, you just come off as someone who loves an authoritarian cock forced up their ass. The only thing better is an authoritarian cock forced down your throat at the same time. Some adults need an all powerful parental figure to share the responsibility for their bigotry, fears, beliefs, and actions in life. Believing those cocks makes screwing others, being screwed easier. Enjoy the scholars true facts.

Then where did the big bang come from?

b_dubb

We can agree to disagree.  No one is going to prove anything here.  Make your point but do so without making personal attacks.  I don't like seeing someone bullied. 

Avi

Quote from: Catsmile on September 22, 2014, 05:39:03 PM
Honestly, you just come off as someone who loves an authoritarian cock forced up their ass. The only thing better is an authoritarian cock forced down your throat at the same time. Some adults need an all powerful parental figure to share the responsibility for their bigotry, fears, beliefs, and actions in life. Believing those cocks makes screwing others, being screwed easier. Enjoy the scholars true facts.

I thought this thread jumped the shark 12 pages ago, but this is a veritable Ski-Doo over a BigFoot. Please, Fonzie, save us!

area51drone

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 22, 2014, 08:17:24 AM
Oh no! am I goin` to hell, drone??

Jesus Fucking Christ I hope so... I could use some company down there.

Catsmile

Quote from: Avi on September 22, 2014, 08:11:26 PM
I thought this thread jumped the shark 12 pages ago, but this is a veritable Ski-Doo over a BigFoot. Please, Fonzie, save us!

Using what some scholars call facts and truths. All these things exists and are exactly as represented.
Sharks...    check
Ski-Doos... check
BigFoot...   check
Fonzie...    check
Many millions of people have currently seen all these things in real life, on TV, read, or written about them and their amazing powers. With pictures, video, sound, written documentation galore. All of it first, or second hand information. Far surpassing written and rewritten accounts thousands of years ago.

Most of those subjects probably have "scholars" filling a cushy university position somewhere in the world, with peer reviewed essays to back them up.
Seems I struck a nerve. If the shoe fits... meh.

analog kid

Quote from: area51drone on September 22, 2014, 08:15:10 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ I hope so... I could use some company down there.

With the Buddhist monks and unbaptized babies.