• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Guilty pleasure tv

Started by zeebo, August 17, 2014, 07:32:45 PM

zeebo

Ok, I admit it's pretty cheesy, but I'm hooked on "The Last Ship".  There's some silly dialogue with a side serving of melodrama, but it's got some good mindless action and I only have to use about 5% brain power to follow it. 

Which means I can simultaneously catch up on bellgab and/or compose Noory haikus without missing much.  So fess up, what's yours?

Nice topic!  Well, in younger years it was Boy Meets World (Danielle Fishel!)... 

Honestly, I only watch stuff on Netflix and don't spend too much time on things that aren't funny or informative or otherwise entertaining.  Oh! I DO have an answer:  Pretty Little Liars.

ItsOver

Ha! I'm really "with it."  My must watch TV is "Columbo" and "Hogan's Heroes" on MeTV and "MST3K" on Retro.  I'm considering adding "The Beverly Hillbillies."  Noory ain't got nothing on me. :))

Wheel of Fortune

I used to hate it, now I sometimes try to solve the puzzle if I happen to have the TV on that channel.  But I really enjoy the closing comments between Sajak and Vanna.

Recently, they were talking about corn and Sajak asked Vanna: "Would you like to come backstage and peck on my corn?"

Judging from Vanna's response, it was unexpected.

Movement Key : PA1

I'm looking forward to the Dr. Who season premiere on Saturday.  I hate to admit it because it's pretty cheesy and the science is hokey.  After a couple episodes of the reboot I'd sworn I'd never watch it again.  It's more fantasy mascaraing as science and I'm not much into the spooky/horror themes they often have now.  Then again, I'm a sucker for hokey science fiction.  I can't wait for the new Red Dwarf series planned possibly for next year.

I am looking forward to Doctor Who also. Game of Thrones, Vikings ,Falling Skies, Futurama, Ancient Aliens (If only to see things and places they are showing), The Good Wife, Craig Ferguson's show.

zeebo

Ha yes ok I'll admit I've watched more than a few Ancient Aliens.  I just love when they pose a logical explanation about something, but then right before break they say ".... or could it have a more ... extraterestrial origin?"

Oh another GPTV show from a few years ago, was that reality show about Jousting.  You guys remember that?  I wish they'd bring that back.  Nothing better than Fri. nite beers & jousting.

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 17, 2014, 09:46:15 PM
.... I can't wait for the new Red Dwarf series planned possibly for next year.

Wow is this for real?  I hope you're not playing with my nerdy hopes. 

Quote from: zeebo on August 17, 2014, 11:10:58 PM
Wow is this for real?  I hope you're not playing with my nerdy hopes.

I'm not sure anyone else could properly play Lister, Rimmer, and Cat..

Red Dwarf did a six episode series last year (actually end of 2012, series X) using the original four cast members reprising Rimmer, Lister, Kryton, and Cat, broadcast as original content on a private station called 'Dave.'  I'm not sure it can be called an official 'Red Dwarf' but it was reminiscent of the earlier episodes.  Last I read they were planning another series of 6 but couldn't get all the actors together until 2015 or 2016.

zeebo

How about China, IL? Anyone watch that?  I feel like I shouldn't be laughing so hard at such crass humor, but I just can't help myself.

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on August 17, 2014, 08:36:42 PM
Ha! I'm really "with it."  My must watch TV is "Columbo" and "Hogan's Heroes" on MeTV and "MST3K" on Retro.  I'm considering adding "The Beverly Hillbillies."  Noory ain't got nothing on me. :))
Just wait a few weeks when Me-TV starts their new Fall lineup in September.
They are adding shows like Man from UNCLE, Black Sheep Squadron, Mission Impossible, Superman (1950s) and more...
Of course they still air nightly Noory's fav "Twilight Zone"

analog kid

I used to watch Supernatural, but after season six it became a bad fanfic version of itself.

The last comedy I liked was Betas on Amazon Prime, but there's only one season.

phrodo

Definitely Duck Dynasty and Big Brother ... about the only two shows worth watching in the Summer - while not being worth watching ... well except DD ... kinda like that show.

zeebo

Quote from: phrodo on August 18, 2014, 09:09:57 PM
Definitely Duck Dynasty and Big Brother ... about the only two shows worth watching in the Summer - while not being worth watching ... well except DD ... kinda like that show.

Regarding summer fare - I was watching with much guilty pleasure the distinctly lame reality/fantasy show "The Quest", but I've lost track of it and wonder if it's already been cancelled. 

albrecht

Everything about Alaska or having to do with "off the grid" mountain men in places like Maine. Maybe it is the damn heat here but I find myself watching stuff like "Mountain Men", and the shows about the Alaskan railways quite a bit. Just the images of the snow and cold seem to help, a bit.

Tarbaby

THE STRAIN. On the FX channel.

jazmunda

Anyone watching The Leftovers? I'm enjoying it.

I haven't seen The Strain, Manhattan or The Lottery. Anyone seen those?

ksm32

MasterChef, from a few countries.

Cooking shows: Top Chef, Chopped, Hairy Bikers, Restaurant Hell. Iron Chef Japan is beyond surreal.

Khameleon808

Recently, it would have to be Tim and Eric.  I also heard they are having a new show this September.

Also there were alot of "guilty pleasure" movies from the 90s I always had on the DVR.  Movies that were soooo bad, they were entertaining.   Shit like BIODOME

Mine used to be "Judge Judy"

yes I know it's awful... I really do. But for about a year I couldn't unwind without catching the last 15 minutes after i cam home from work. Luckily I moved on after using a Tivo box to record many episodes and sickened myself of it... still I got to see the John Lydon episode... which was fun....
John Lydon v. Judge Judy

These days my go-to comfort TV is NCIS... which despite watching many hours of it back-to-back I still can watch it again and again... sadly I'm far more of a McGee than a DiNozzo

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on August 18, 2014, 03:27:25 AM
Just wait a few weeks when Me-TV starts their new Fall lineup in September.
They are adding shows like Man from UNCLE, Black Sheep Squadron, Mission Impossible, Superman (1950s) and more...
Of course they still air nightly Noory's fav "Twilight Zone"
Oh, yeah!  Me is what's usually on my tube when it's on.  I may be mistaken but I believe I saw a Me commercial showing "Cheers" was taking "Twilight Zones" current slot.  Not sure if Noory's favorite is moving elsewhere or going on hiatus.  Jorch may be in shock. ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 20, 2014, 08:50:15 AM
... Iron Chef Japan is beyond surreal.

One of my all-time faves!  Even better if you can get it in original Japanese with English subtitles, not dubbed. 

However the weak American version is not worthy of the name, and should be called Tinfoil Chef.