• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Obesity is a disease. It just is.

Started by DigitalPigSnuggler, August 17, 2014, 01:18:47 PM

onan

Obesity is a very complicated issue. Unlike alcohol consumption, drug abuse, or cigarette smoking food is essential. It is also one of the longest used coping skills by everyone. And we do very little to educate from an early age about responsible eating. Compound that with different genetic makeup, advertizing, and industrialized foods and anyone can see there are lots of areas to consider.

Add to that a poster child of dysregulated impulse control and irresponsible thinking and blammo here we are.

Whether one wants to believe obesity is a disease or not, I am not going to debate it. There are far too many people out there selling snake oil slimmers to the "if it is easy, I can do it" crowd. And personally if that fat guy walking down the hall can tell funny jokes and is a decent person, I don't really care what he eats.

Bart Ell

Pretty sure a number of youse guys have gone hogging to bust a slump. Also pretty sure you were thanking your lucky stars for the bigger ladies at that point.

Carry on.

Quote from: onan on August 19, 2014, 05:58:07 PM
There are far too many people out there selling snake oil slimmers to the "if it is easy, I can do it" crowd.

There are three products that never work, and yet new forms come out all the time and people buy them anyway:

1)  Weight loss products

2)  Penis enlargers

3)  Devices to improve your golf game

Quote from: Bart Ell on August 19, 2014, 07:38:41 PM
Pretty sure a number of youse guys have gone hogging to bust a slump. Also pretty sure you were thanking your lucky stars for the bigger ladies at that point.

I wish I could stand fucking fatties.  I'd get more pussy than Frank Sinatra.

George Drooly

Quote from: onan on August 19, 2014, 05:58:07 PM
Unlike alcohol consumption, drug abuse, or cigarette smoking food is essential.

Reported.

nooropathy

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 19, 2014, 10:00:35 PM
There are three products that never work, and yet new forms come out all the time and people buy them anyway:

1)  Weight loss products

2)  Penis enlargers

3)  Devices to improve your golf game

at least one of the three worked for me -- just say'n

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 19, 2014, 03:43:18 PM
It's mostly women who are promoting the idea that a person can be obese and healthy. The last post I read was by a 5'5 woman who was 230 pounds and said her doctors and nutritionist said she was healthy. That I don't buy, unless she has PCOS or thyroid issues and even t hen there are blood pressure and diabetes issues, but she doesn't. She claimed she couldn't lose weight. There's a lot of reaction against internet weight shaming which has led to the obesity is healthy attitude. Now, if you even suggest it's not, you're a troll. I'm lucky, I have a great doctor who's not afraid about getting real with me when I need it.

I wish my mother-in-law had had a doctor who told her the truth. Instead, he just kept handing her Darvocet and not telling her she needed to lose a massive amount of weight. She died in her early 50s several years ago.  As soon as I was introduced to the family, I knew there was a major issue -- no one in the family was telling her she needed to lose weight. When I showed up, she was in the 200-pound range, and she was 5'2. I encouraged her to get out and walk around the block once a day, and she said she couldn't. I said to walk around the block once a WEEK, and she still said she couldn't. But when it came time to walk around the craft store or the dollar shop, she could do that.  I encouraged her to go swimming -- said I'd pay for it. She refused. My father-in-law bought her a treadmill, again, she said she couldn't do it. When the annual Pig Out in the Park event took place in town, she was fine walking around for well over an hour sampling the various foods.

She refused to eat anything healthy. She ate ramen with butter all over it. She refused to drink water and drank canned iced tea instead or Gatorade.

I loved my mother-in-law very much, but her case frustrated me so much. She had so much potential but she wasted all of it. She had years of passive-aggressive avoidance and reinforcement before I showed up, and I could never break through that.  She died at 53, weighing over 400 pounds, drowning her own fluid in her lungs, and they called it a "natural death."  There is nothing natural about a 53-year-old woman dying in this manner.  >:(