• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

On Megalodon, Mermaids, & Yetis

Started by zeebo, August 15, 2014, 08:25:02 PM

zeebo

Ok Discovery Channel's out with another so-called "documentary".  This one is "Megalodon: The New Evidence".  I'll admit I got pulled in by the Yeti / Dyatlov Pass show - which almost seemed plausible.  And my mom is still convinced that the Mermaids one was real. 

But this Megalodon thing is just so friggin' staged it's obvious.  Wasn't Discovery once a legitimate science channel?  How can they air this stuff?

Was Hitler trying to clone the Megaladon? At the end of World War 2, did we convince the Nazi Megaladon cloning scientists to join our side in Operation Staple Remover?

b_dubb

The Nazis were able to graft megalodon DNA with eagle DNA and created a kind of flying piranha. Fortunately for the Allies the Nazi flying piranha legions were destroyed when the Allies dropped a nuclear weapon that was powered by angel turds on Dresden.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on August 16, 2014, 02:17:38 AM
The Nazis were able to graft megalodon DNA with eagle DNA and created a kind of flying piranha. Fortunately for the Allies the Nazi flying piranha legions were destroyed when the Allies dropped a nuclear weapon that was powered by angel turds on Dresden.

Nah man, that's a Syfy movie.  Which makes me wonder, how soon until Discovery has a special on Sharktopus?

[attachimg=1]

onan

Quote from: zeebo on August 16, 2014, 02:42:35 AM
Nah man, that's a Syfy movie.  Which makes me wonder, how soon until Discovery has a special on Sharktopus?

[attachimg=1]

I am not worried until I see a sharklicopter.

Zeebo asked:  But this Megalodon thing is just so friggin' staged it's obvious.  Wasn't Discovery once a legitimate science channel?  How can they air this stuff?

Yes, that once-proud ship is now awash in sewage.  A Youtube video I saw yesterday just shredded DC for this Shark Week misinformation.  For me, when Sarah Palin's America series aired I knew the channel was just about cash and publicity (rather like Sarah and other political grifters:  Trump, Sharpton)....

wr250

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 16, 2014, 08:44:24 AM
Zeebo asked:  But this Megalodon thing is just so friggin' staged it's obvious.  Wasn't Discovery once a legitimate science channel?  How can they air this stuff?

Yes, that once-proud ship is now awash in sewage.  A Youtube video I saw yesterday just shredded DC for this Shark Week misinformation.  For me, when Sarah Palin's America series aired I knew the channel was just about cash and publicity (rather like Sarah and other political grifters:  Trump, Sharpton)....

they are following george noory's lead.

zeebo

I saw another fakey fakey one tonite, about some shark called "Submarine" since he was so big.  Show was complete with fun-loving youths getting attacked on their boat, and an old grisled fisherman who'd given the shark a scar years ago, etc. 

But there was a hilarious tweet they showed from some wiseass:  "Maybe the Mermaids will save them!"

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on August 18, 2014, 02:12:17 AM
I saw another fakey fakey one tonite, about some shark called "Submarine" since he was so big.  Show was complete with fun-loving youths getting attacked on their boat, and an old grisled fisherman who'd given the shark a scar years ago, etc. 

But there was a hilarious tweet they showed from some wiseass:  "Maybe the Mermaids will save them!"
What is bad is that "Shark Week" used to be about sharks and Discovery was about real nature and science shows. So now children (since their parents reckon "oh, Discover sure you can watch") see this crap, presented as real, with fake "experts", and with no (or a very little disclaimer at end.) My nephew last week asked me if I heard of the 30ft shark Submarine etc etc as if it was real. And I'm sure many an adult also casually watching might believe it unless they are familiar with the technique of "open questions" ("what if a 30ft shark still lurks in the depths- some experts say... etc.) It is a shame because there are lots of cool sharks and nature and science can be interesting and even fun without hyping up fake stuff for ratings.

Some dude caught a 12 1/2 foot 809lbs Tiger Shark near Corpus recently. Took him 7 hours to reel in! Then gave it to the food bank and they had a huge fish-fry for the homeless in Corpus. Tell me a shark that big isn't enough that Discovery needs to make stuff up??

Roger that, Albrecht.  It is so pointless to push sensationalistic crap when genuine science and nature are endlessly fascinating.  That whole programs that run for years are now devoted to examining the lives of ignoramuses is sad.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on August 18, 2014, 08:07:58 AM
...It is a shame because there are lots of cool sharks and nature and science can be interesting and even fun without hyping up fake stuff for ratings....

This is a great point.  If you've got an informative show with good photography about anything from ants to zebras, I'm there. 

I remember a great show about of all things, cuttlefish.  The real science behind it was fascinating and they did not resort to fake tactics like inventing some legendary submarine-sized cuttlefish with special powers, and complete with phony "witnesses" who'd seen him and lived to tell the tale.

zeebo

Wonder if anyone heard that recent call into c2c when the cryptozoologist was on about "That documentary about the mermaids".  The guest clearly stated it was in fact "a mockumentary purely for entertainment value". 

Discovery Channel needs to issue a formal apology and then promptly change their name to Fantasy Creatures Dramatization Channel.

Gd5150

So Discovery, Animal Planet, etc... which are supposed to be documenting real life are now providing sensational fake mockumentaries. A&E (arts & Entertainment) which is supposed to be about drama and fiction, is nothing by reality TV shows. Makes me want to cry.   :'(

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on August 19, 2014, 10:03:59 PM
This is a great point.  If you've got an informative show with good photography about anything from ants to zebras, I'm there. 

I remember a great show about of all things, cuttlefish.  The real science behind it was fascinating and they did not resort to fake tactics like inventing some legendary submarine-sized cuttlefish with special powers, and complete with phony "witnesses" who'd seen him and lived to tell the tale.
I recently watched, and was riveted, by a BBC show about the "Secret Life of Tidal Pools." It is shameful that the Discovery Ch, Nat Geo Ch, etc has gone the route of a bad C2C show with faked documentaries, "reality" shows about Bigfoot hunting, Ghost hunting, etc. Real nature and science is more amazing and "cool" than you think. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a cool story or paranormal but not all legit channels and fooling children (and probably adults considering the state of education.)