• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Songs You'd Swear Were Done by Somebody Else

Started by ItsOver, July 30, 2014, 10:10:52 AM

ItsOver

Even after having heard this song numerous times, I have to think a bit when I hear the first notes to realize this song was NOT done by Asia.

I always think I'm listening to Tracy Chapman when Tragically Hip songs are playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbIZ1IuqCzU

Yorkshire pud

Several years ago I would have bet everything I owned that Echo Beech had been done by Blondie and not Martha and the Muffins.

Eddie Coyle

When I was a kid, I thought "Hocus Pocus" by Focus was by either Jethro Tull or Frank Zappa.

I assume all "hip hop" to this very moment is either the Fat Boys or Whoudini.

The General

The first time I heard "Sultans of Swing" I thought, wow, Bob Dylan has a pretty hot guitar player now.

I always thought "She's a Bad Mama Jama" was Stevie Wonder, not Carl Carlton.

I still think that "You Sexy Thing (I believe in Miracles)" is David Bowie.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on July 30, 2014, 11:04:20 AM
The first time I heard "Sultans of Swing" I thought, wow, Bob Dylan has a pretty hot guitar player now.

Dylan must have had the same thought, because he went out and hired Knopfler for Slow Train Coming about 4 months after Dire Straits debut was released.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 30, 2014, 11:07:24 AM
     Dylan must have had the same thought, because he went out and hired Knopfler for Slow Train Coming about 4 months after Dire Straits debut was released.
Ha, yeah.  True. 
I wasn't sure of the timeline, though. 
I know you're painfully aware of time lines.

Kelt

I always thought Boys Boys Boys was performed by.... by... I always thou.... I, uh....

http://youtu.be/Ug8WeZyTxXg

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on July 30, 2014, 11:09:27 AM
Ha, yeah.  True. 
I wasn't sure of the timeline, though. 
I know you're painfully aware of time lines.

Captain Chronology reporting for duty.

One of the amusing things about Knopfler's playing on Slow Train was jumping at the chance to play with Dylan...and then a gradual shock from realizing that Zimmie was a suddenly a born again, and the material not what he ever expected. Couldn't have bothered him too much in the long run, Knopfler would play and produce on Infidels.

Quote from: Kelt on July 30, 2014, 11:12:37 AM
I always thought Boys Boys Boys was performed by.... by... I always thou.... I, uh....

Sorry, were you saying something?  I lost my train of thought for some reason.

Don't know if this counts, but for a long time I thought Supertramp's lead singer was a woman.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 30, 2014, 10:39:40 AM
      When I was a kid, I thought "Hocus Pocus" by Focus was by either Jethro Tull or Frank Zappa.

What a great song!  You can't go wrong with Dutch yodeling, a tasty flute interlude, and a sizzling hot guitar solo.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 30, 2014, 01:49:42 PM
What a great song!  You can't go wrong with Dutch yodeling, a tasty flute interlude, and a sizzling hot guitar solo.

Reached #9 on Billboard singles chart in June, 1973...which makes me wish I were alive for that. A hit from out of the left field bleachers.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 30, 2014, 01:59:03 PM
      Reached #9 on Billboard singles chart in June, 1973...which makes me wish I were alive for that. A hit from out of the left field bleachers.

I was around back then and remember hearing it a lot on AM radio, but I had no idea it got that high in the charts.  The single was considerably shorter than the album track to fit the Top 40 format, so unfortunately anyone who only heard that version missed out on some great instrumental passages.

I always thought that the song "Together in Electric Dreams" was sung by Dexys Midnight Runners.

Oh and Boz Scaggs. I've thought every Boz song was someone else. Just found out a year ago all these songs I thought were done by some one hit wonder were Boz Scaggs. And I also thought Lido Shuffle was by Billy Joel. Now when I relisten, it sounds like Scaggs has 3x the vocal range of Billy Joel.

The General

I always thought Elton John's songs were actually by Bernie Taupin.

Quote from: The General on July 30, 2014, 03:37:57 PM
I always thought Elton John's songs were actually by Bernie Taupin.

Does this mean they weren't??    :o

When I saw the video for "Dancing in the Streets" by Bowie and Jagger, I thought it was a side project by two guys from the Village People. (rimshot)

zeebo

I always think "A Horse with no Name" is by the same guy who did "Year of the Cat".

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 30, 2014, 05:52:05 PM
When I saw the video for "Dancing in the Streets" by Bowie and Jagger, I thought it was a side project by two guys from the Village People. (rimshot)

And I need to post this

Musicless Musicvideo / DAVID BOWIE & MICK JAGGER - Dancing In The Street

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: zeebo on August 03, 2014, 10:54:56 PM
I always think "A Horse with no Name" is by the same guy who did "Year of the Cat".

I always thought it was Neil Young. But the B side is far better...Ventura Highway.

albrecht

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 30, 2014, 10:39:40 AM

I assume all "hip hop" to this very moment is either the Fat Boys or Whoudini.

What is awesome the covers of Hocus Pocus make the song seems very normal. In contrary to almost any metal, punk, or whatever other genre covers of other hit songs. Shows how unique the song and sound was. The covers seem like a normal song one might hear on the radio. The original though is outstanding and you think "how did it ever get on radio" and yet is so compelling! The last time yodeling made an appearance on the charts or airplay, at least in the US, was probably Jimmie Rodgers and that was many, many decades ago. (I will ignore the loyal following of the Lawrence Welk show but that was tv and Sound of Music was a musical and movie.)

Focus still gig today.

A friend of mine saw them and the lead singer said something that certainly dates it to specific genre and time

"This next song was the B-Side to our second album..."

Not a song, but maybe I can squeeze it in

When I was a kid I thought the UConn Huskies were the Yukon Huskies.  I wondered how they came to have so many great basketball players in the Arctic Circle.

For the longest time I thought Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress was by Creedence Clearwater Revival and not the Hollies, and Black Velvet was by Pat Benatar and not Alannah Myles. And then there was the argument over who sang Lido Shuffle which I swore was Billy Joel. And,  'There's a bathroom on the right' in Bad Moon Rising. Someone needs better speakers.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 06, 2014, 08:32:56 PM
And then there was the argument over who sang Lido Shuffle which I swore was Billy Joel.

I remember thinking that was the one Billy Joel song I liked.

I always associated that song from Urban Cowboy with Boz Skaggs.

Gd5150

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 30, 2014, 05:52:05 PM
When I saw the video for "Dancing in the Streets" by Bowie and Jagger

I'd wished I hadn't.

That song "on the dark side" or whatever it's called by I'm not sure who, sounds like Bruce Springfield.

HorrorRetro

I thought Time of the Season was the Mamas & the Papas, but it's the Zombies.  :-[

ItsOver

Quote from: Hor ???rorRetro on August 08, 2014, 03:32:08 PM
I thought Time of the Season was the Mamas & the Papas, but it's the Zombies.  :-[
Yes, it definitely has that Mamas & Papas sound.  I think there's another song of that era I think is Ms&Ps but it doesn't come to mind at the moment.