• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Live Human Experimentation

Started by Kelt, July 24, 2014, 02:38:10 PM

Kelt

Any circumstances under which you feel it's a viable option?

I'm not talking about simple drug testing, but the kind of mad shit the Germans and Japanese were involved in in the 30s and 40s.

I'm of the mind that science would progress at a much faster rate if our boffins were given a steady supply of live, human subjects upon which they could really go to town with regards to experimentation. 

It's all very well chopping a bunny to pieces, but nothing gets closer to the human physiology than the human physiology.

So, given the opportunity, would you allow science to dispense with ethics if the results were to produce real results, and do so far sooner than the current quasi-ethical scientific methods can manage?

cweb

Godwin's Law in 3....2.....1....

Tarbaby

So far mankind has shown absolutely no ability to experiment humanely. But I have often thought of the benefits to mankind of eugenics, properly managed. But that will be done with Gene manipulation.

Kelt

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 24, 2014, 03:28:20 PM
So far mankind has shown absolutely no ability to experiment humanely. But I have often thought of the benefits to mankind of eugenics, properly managed. But that will be done with Gene manipulation.

I'm not really talking about humane experimentation, but rather just giving science license to go ahead and do what needs to be done.

Need to find out what happens when you cut someone's head off and replace it with a pelican's arse?  Boom... done.

No ethics, no moral dilemma, sorted.

Quote from: Kelt on July 24, 2014, 04:28:34 PM
I'm not really talking about humane experimentation, but rather just giving science license to go ahead and do what needs to be done.

There's a man out there, a man of leisure, who has a prodigious collection of box fans but is chronically short of cash.

I tried to be helpful -- I'm just that kind of guy -- by suggesting that he rent himself out for medical experiments. 

He replied that he had already been doing that.  I presume that none of the experiments dealt with weight loss or mental health improvement.

Kelt

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 24, 2014, 04:50:31 PM
There's a man out there, a man of leisure, who has a prodigious collection of box fans but is chronically short of cash.

I tried to be helpful -- I'm just that kind of guy -- by suggesting that he rent himself out for medical experiments. 

He replied that he had already been doing that.  I presume that none of the experiments dealt with weight loss or mental health improvement.

Did he have a pelican's arse where his head should be?

Quote from: Kelt on July 24, 2014, 05:14:14 PM
Did he have a pelican's arse where his head should be?

No, but he had a homeless man's penis where his mouth should be, which is why I suggested an alternative method of making rent money.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Kelt on July 24, 2014, 02:38:10 PM
Any circumstances under which you feel it's a viable option?

I'm not talking about simple drug testing, but the kind of mad shit the Germans and Japanese were involved in in the 30s and 40s.

I'm of the mind that science would progress at a much faster rate if our boffins were given a steady supply of live, human subjects upon which they could really go to town with regards to experimentation. 

It's all very well chopping a bunny to pieces, but nothing gets closer to the human physiology than the human physiology.

So, given the opportunity, would you allow science to dispense with ethics if the results were to produce real results, and do so far sooner than the current quasi-ethical scientific methods can manage?

Animals have been disturbing enough.  Just Google: "living dog head".

Kelt

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 24, 2014, 05:27:33 PM
No, but he had a homeless man's penis where his mouth should be, which is why I suggested an alternative method of making rent money.

Hey, at least the guy's willing to work rather than accept government handouts.

He's the sort of good egg that will likely avoid deportation to the Ghetto Zone between the American and Mexican borders that someone suggested earlier on another thread.

eddie dean

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 24, 2014, 05:27:33 PM

lol :D

wr250

do you mean like the borg?

i made some comments on the spec sheet in the chatroom that were misinterpreted. i had mentioned Geordies visor. Geordie was blind from birth, the visor allowed him to see, see well enough to perform his duties. i felt google glass could be used in this same application, helping bind people see. we already have a chip that can be implanted in someones brain, to control computers, robotic arms etc. in the case of a quadriplegic, this could be a godsend. the person could control robotic legs and arms with this chip, and perform tasks well enough to not depend on others . 

Kelt

So this is good feedback... experiment on the blind, you say. It's not like they'll see it coming, those damned Blindies.

As for Geordie... no way was he a Geordie, and I think Yorkshire Pud will back

I'm all for it if it results in the creation of human centipedes

onan

Quote from: wr250 on July 24, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
do you mean like the borg?

i made some comments on the spec sheet in the chatroom that were misinterpreted. i had mentioned Geordies visor. Geordie was blind from birth, the visor allowed him to see, see well enough to perform his duties. i felt google glass could be used in this same application, helping bind people see. we already have a chip that can be implanted in someones brain, to control computers, robotic arms etc. in the case of a quadriplegic, this could be a godsend. the person could control robotic legs and arms with this chip, and perform tasks well enough to not depend on others .

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-03/18/bionic-eyes-argus-ii-approved-fda

No, I would not. There are early anatamists like Galen who would perform vivesections on live prisoners to study blood and "humor" flows. He produced a large amount of erroneous data.

I can't remember the name, but one of the early yellow fever researchers infected his grad students with malaria to study if his treatment worked. The grad students were of course unaware.

I do however offer my continued support to Weyland-Yutani Industries research.

Kelt

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 24, 2014, 06:27:41 PM
No, I would not. There are early anatamists like Galen who would perform vivesections on live prisoners to study blood and "humor" flows. He produced a large amount of erroneous data.

I can't remember the name, but one of the early yellow fever researchers infected his grad students with malaria to study if his treatment worked. The grad students were of course unaware.

I do however offer my continued support to Weyland-Yutani Industries research.

Yeah, but just be careful, because if just one of those things get down here...

b_dubb

All this talk of live human experimentation is making the lawyers Taintco very nervous.

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on July 24, 2014, 07:22:54 PM
All this talk of live human experimentation is making the lawyers Taintco very nervous.
you got skeeter daryl and skeeter on the case?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Kelt on July 24, 2014, 05:57:37 PM
So this is good feedback... experiment on the blind, you say. It's not like they'll see it coming, those damned Blindies.

As for Geordie... no way was he a Geordie, and I think Yorkshire Pud will back

I would concur. Not a Geordie; he doesn't go out on the lash in winter wearing just a t shirt and shorts.