• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Intolerably pompous words

Started by Gd5150, July 23, 2014, 01:12:10 PM

Well, it's like Steve Martin said:  "Some people have a way with words and others... Oh, uh, not have way."

Quote from: zeebo on July 25, 2014, 12:22:44 AM
People would get behind the idea in a minotaur less.

Maybe you could write a Master's Theseus about that.

Tarbaby

Quote from: MV on July 23, 2014, 02:06:42 PM
i could listen to hitchens discussing dust.  i really hate that he died.

check out his debate against al sharpton.  i've never seen a man so decidedly trounced by another.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WXSGmW8LHY
thanks for taking the time to upload this link! I was prepared for a good laugh but I was shocked to observe Sharpton acquit himself fairly well. This was the most eloquent and cogent I had ever heard him. And he avoided the brunt of the confrontation with Hitchins by continually redefining the focus of the debate.i.r., not about religion, not about Scripture or the Bible, but solely about the existence of God and any proof for or against. Sort of clever since we all know there is no proof one way or the other for a God. But I have the feeling that Sharpton's advisers prepared him with this tactic.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 25, 2014, 11:03:32 AM

Well I do know athena two about it.

Stanley Kubrick's Shining criticism.

So Weird Al has a new song where he takes all the "business jargon" such as paradigm shift and turns it into a song (with the Crosby Stills Nash song).

http://youtu.be/GyV_UG60dD4

SciFiAuthor

Not that *I* have any problems with pompousness, I am after all speaking to intellectual inferiors and none of you could possibly know what it means to be a genius like me. You also don't know what it's like to be beautiful, either. You are all hideously ugly. I'm not. But with your absolute inferiority now being firmly established, my most hated pompous phrase is when people say "This is a nation of laws!"

Talk about a heaping load of stinky horseshit. I seriously hate that phrase. I cringe when I hear it. Laws can be wrong, crooked, bullshit, misused, abused, badly written, repealed, replaced, rewritten, changed, abolished and ignored. By saying that phrase, people suggest that the law is somehow infallible or even sanctified. It isn't. I think this should be a nation of reason (all nations, actually), not laws. Change them as needed, and make it easy to change them.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 26, 2014, 01:15:15 AM
Not that *I* have any problems with pompousness, I am after all speaking to intellectual inferiors and none of you could possibly know what it means to be a genius like me. You also don't know what it's like to be beautiful, either. You are all hideously ugly. I'm not. But with your absolute inferiority now being firmly established, my most hated pompous phrase is when people say "This is a nation of laws!"

Talk about a heaping load of stinky horseshit. I seriously hate that phrase. I cringe when I hear it. Laws can be wrong, crooked, bullshit, misused, abused, badly written, repealed, replaced, rewritten, changed, abolished and ignored. By saying that phrase, people suggest that the law is somehow infallible or even sanctified. It isn't. I think this should be a nation of reason (all nations, actually), not laws. Change them as needed, and make it easy to change them.

You'd have a nation of anarchy then? The phrase (Although I think it's a crap phrase too) doesn't qualify the value or otherwise of said laws; it simply states the fact they exist.

Quote from: zeebo on July 25, 2014, 12:22:44 AM
People would get behind the idea in a minotaur less.

Anyone who Knossos understands us, and doesn't mind this thread.

(Minos the newbies, of course.)

This reminds me of when my sister got in trouble with the mob.  She went to the Feds for help and they put her in an FBI Saphos.  She could not see her many boyfriends -- Lesbos to be sure.  But at least she's still alive!

zeebo

Usually you don't Hera thing about those kind of stories, but I'm sure Thera common occurance.

wr250

Not that *I* have any problems with pompousness, I am after all speaking to intellectual inferiors and none of you could possibly know what it means to be a genius like me.

i was wondering where wile e. coyote , super-genius got off to. now we all know.

I have never presumed to know what it means to be a genius like you because that's beyond my comprehension, but I know what it's like to be beautiful, damn it.  And if anyone ever tells you that they heard me say, "This is a nation of laws!", they're lying and it would be acceptable to hit them hard in a sensitive spot when they're not looking.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 26, 2014, 12:57:27 PM
I have never presumed to know what it means to be a genius like you because that's beyond my comprehension, but I know what it's like to be beautiful, damn it.  And if anyone ever tells you that they heard me say, "This is a nation of laws!", they're lying and it would be acceptable to hit them hard in a sensitive spot when they're not looking.

I know you've never said it; I did see you write down though. ^^^^^^^^...See.

The General

Quote from: MV on July 23, 2014, 02:06:42 PM
i could listen to hitchens discussing dust.  i really hate that he died.
check out his debate against al sharpton.  i've never seen a man so decidedly trounced by another.

Al Sharpton in ANY debate is like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.
You should check out Christopher Hitchens debating Dennis Prager.  They've debated several times.
Mostly on Prager's radio show.  There are several on you tube.  It's good stuff.

Quote from: zeebo on July 26, 2014, 10:48:01 AM
Usually you don't Hera thing about those kind of stories, but I'm sure Thera common occurance.

Remind me to tell you about Thaedra.

albrecht

Thread reminds me of Animal House scene with the Dean's wife regarding cucumbers and sensuous and sensual.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 26, 2014, 01:15:20 PM
I know you've never said it; I did see you write down though. ^^^^^^^^...See.

You're getting to be just a little too clever for your shiny trousers.  So there!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 26, 2014, 02:22:21 AM
You'd have a nation of anarchy then? The phrase (Although I think it's a crap phrase too) doesn't qualify the value or otherwise of said laws; it simply states the fact they exist.

Ugh, it's you again, the primitive tribesman rosbif from Norway or whatever the hell island you're from in the European Archipelago. If you would just learn to speak the American language properly, you would know the connotations of that phrase! Tell you what, if you're good, and agree with me unconditionally, I promise I will introduce you to IRON for your spear points. We invented it here in America, don't ya know, like radar and everything else. :) (Hi Yorkie.)

I don't think the phrase is really ever used except in someone's pompous effort to defend some outdated law that agrees with their social position. "We're a nation of laws and there's something on the books that says that we can keep the homosexuals from getting married! Why is the government involved in what adults can get married you ask? Well, we're a nation of laws!"

So I would say that you're grammatically correct, but not connotatively correct. The pompous, liberal or conservative, really just mean that it's a nation of commandments.