• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Trolling as "performance art"?

Started by Tarbaby, July 23, 2014, 07:57:59 AM

Quote from: Kelt on July 23, 2014, 11:30:06 AM
As someone who has done quite a bit of Trolling in the past, there's a definite art to it.

Sure,you could just respond to someone's post with, "You're a fucking idiot."  and you'll be guaranteed a ragepost in response, but where's the craft?  Where's the subtlety? Where's the leading of a victim along a cunningly paved path to complete emotional and mental breakdown?

There are few sensations sweeter than the satisfaction of leading someone who deserves it to the yawning chasm at the end of that path.  It stiffens my nipples and makes them tingle with delight every time.

Kelt

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 23, 2014, 01:50:47 PM
There are few sensations sweeter than the satisfaction of leading someone who deserves it to the yawning chasm at the end of that path.  It stiffens my nipples and makes them tingle with delight every time.

What finally stopped me Trolling was an incident where exactly this occurred.  Nipples were stiffened, chasms yawned, and hilarity was festooned from every post like gaudy Christmas tinsels.

It started off innocently enough, with my telling a chap to 'fuck off', or some equally witty verbiage, as a result of something he'd said that I disagreed with.

What followed was a Trolling the likes of which you rarely see these days, culminating in him arranging to meet me... at a church no less... where he was going to batter me to death with the sharp end of a peen-hammer.

I had cunningly arranged the situation whereby he would simply fly in a red-mist frenzy at the first person he saw outside the church, battering someone senselss/to death based entirely upon the following criteria...

1. They would 'give him a look'
2. They would be wearing a jacket or coat of undetermined colour
3. They would be alone. Or not alone.
4. They wouldn't say anything.

Basically this guy was ready to kill a complete stranger based upon my Trollage, the victim being anyone who fit into a broad and ambiguous criteria and happened to be standing outside a church at a specific time of the day.

Now at the time I thought I was awfully clever and hilarious.  Retrospectively, not so much.

He was having some serious personal issues at home, he was not in the best frame of mind, and the last thing he needed was an arsehole such as myself making an already miserable situation worse.

So I stopped doing it.

Now I'd rather engage someone intelligently, rather than setting them up for undeserved shit of the sort I used to mete out on a fairly routine basis.

One day I hope to be able to engage someone intelligently.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 23, 2014, 01:50:47 PM
There are few sensations sweeter than the satisfaction of leading someone who deserves it to the yawning chasm at the end of that path.  It stiffens my nipples and makes them tingle with delight every time.

...Funnily enough; Oh god the memories mammories just come flooding back.

Tarbaby

Good stuff, good stuff. But I think, while we are all dancing here, we should all take the time to look up the word "sophistry". And, Dps, JackStarr called the podcast yesterday so if that wasn't you  well, that's mainly who this thread is about. (You asked what the purpose of this thread was).

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 23, 2014, 02:13:39 PM
And, Dps, JackStarr called the podcast yesterday so if that wasn't you  well, that's mainly who this thread is about. (You asked what the purpose of this thread was).

No, that was not me.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 23, 2014, 02:08:39 PM

...Funnily enough; Oh god the memories mammories just come flooding back.

That's an old picture. I've increased two cup sizes since that was taken, and my nips are now the size of dessert plates.  I'd be delighted to send you today's selfie if you like.  Just say the word.

Tarbaby

Magnificent bastard and Celt: loving your posts.

Quote from: Kelt on July 23, 2014, 02:05:58 PM
What finally stopped me Trolling was an incident where exactly this occurred.  Nipples were stiffened, chasms yawned, and hilarity was festooned from every post like gaudy Christmas tinsels.

It started off innocently enough, with my telling a chap to 'fuck off', or some equally witty verbiage, as a result of something he'd said that I disagreed with.

What followed was a Trolling the likes of which you rarely see these days, culminating in him arranging to meet me... at a church no less... where he was going to batter me to death with the sharp end of a peen-hammer.

I had cunningly arranged the situation whereby he would simply fly in a red-mist frenzy at the first person he saw outside the church, battering someone senselss/to death based entirely upon the following criteria...

1. They would 'give him a look'
2. They would be wearing a jacket or coat of undetermined colour
3. They would be alone. Or not alone.
4. They wouldn't say anything.

Basically this guy was ready to kill a complete stranger based upon my Trollage, the victim being anyone who fit into a broad and ambiguous criteria and happened to be standing outside a church at a specific time of the day.

Now at the time I thought I was awfully clever and hilarious.  Retrospectively, not so much.

He was having some serious personal issues at home, he was not in the best frame of mind, and the last thing he needed was an arsehole such as myself making an already miserable situation worse.

So I stopped doing it.

Now I'd rather engage someone intelligently, rather than setting them up for undeserved shit of the sort I used to mete out on a fairly routine basis.

One day I hope to be able to engage someone intelligently.

Yeah, you might have gone just a wee bit too far with that one.  When I troll, I don't get abusive, or make threats.  I like to do it passively to habitual trolls who fly off the handle easily, and goad them just enough to provoke them into a frenzy, and in the best cases cause them to waste fifteen minutes or so putting great effort into writing long, shrill replies.

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 23, 2014, 02:27:30 PM
yes it was. I checked before posting that.

Someone implied earlier that the existence of crudely performed trolling was reason enough to ban it everywhere.  This is as silly as asserting that the existence of the Chicago Cubs is reason enough to ban baseball.

Now let's take this poorly-conceived attempt at trolling by Tarbaby.  This is the sports equivalent of a retard trying to kick a basketball into the hoop.  Who would watch that, even for free?  Of course this kind of substandard offering will not find a sponsor.  But up the game, and cities are willing to build billion dollar stadiums to host you.

coaster

I used to help run a photoshop related website and when we got bored, a few of us mods would make troll accounts and mess with the forum members. Usually just over the top characters. It was something to do to kill the time.

Quote from: Kelt on July 23, 2014, 02:05:58 PM
culminating in him arranging to meet me...

MB and I used to be blood enemies until that time we met at the Home Depot to settle our differences.  He got the drop on me and nailed the toe of one of my shoes to the ground, then beat me with a baseball bat while I shuffled around in a circle trying to get away.  Did I cry like a little girl, puss out and call him dishonorable?  No, I did not.  I shook his hand and congratulated him.  We kissed and made up, and he's been blowing me on the weekends ever since.

So as you can see, great moments come from great opportunities.  Don't be so quick to dismiss a chance to make a friend in this world.

The General

There are people out there who just enjoy fucking with others.
And then there are people who are just really easy to fuck with.
Get a few of these folks together on a forum and it never goes well.

Tarbaby

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 23, 2014, 02:48:00 PM
MB and I used to be blood enemies until that time we met at the Home Depot to settle our differences.  He got the drop on me and nailed the toe of one of my shoes to the ground, then beat me with a baseball bat while I shuffled around in a circle trying to get away.  Did I cry like a little girl, puss out and call him dishonorable?  No, I did not.  I shook his hand and congratulated him.  We kissed and made up, and he's been blowing me on the weekends ever since.

So as you can see, great moments come from great opportunities.  Don't be so quick to dismiss a chance to make a friend in this world.
was that before or after you were banned last year?

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 24, 2014, 02:07:48 PM
was that before or after you were banned last year?

I wasn't banned last year.  Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Tarbaby

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 24, 2014, 04:45:36 PM
I wasn't banned last year.  Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
I dimly remember your handle from last year and some sort of problem… but no, I never tire of being wrong. Because whether I'm right or wrong with the question I still can learn a lot from the answer. Oh wait, you already know this, comes under trolling 101. :-)

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 24, 2014, 06:19:58 PM
I dimly remember your handle from last year and some sort of problem… but no, I never tire of being wrong. Because whether I'm right or wrong with the question I still can learn a lot from the answer. Oh wait, you already know this, comes under trolling 101. :-)

I7 w45 b3f0r3 I 574r73d p057ing h3r3.

Tarbaby

see? You admit it. rookie move. And no, you can't blow me.
Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 24, 2014, 06:23:18 PM
I7 w45 b3f0r3 I 574r73d p057ing h3r3.

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 24, 2014, 06:28:35 PM
see? You admit it. rookie move. And no, you can't blow me.

Hey, I had a question: how do you know when you're done wiping your ass?

Quote from: MagnificentBastard on July 23, 2014, 12:59:58 PM
but I met the guy in real life to try and troll him and he showed up with a gay friend and a Filipino who had me slipping around in a puddle of duck poo with a bunch of Mexicans and then he tried to get me addicted to drugs.

That's the plot to the Samuel Delaney book Hogg.

eddie dean

If the performance artists are looking for a more extreme outlet for their craft. I'd like to suggest, instead of trolling forums, they join a local PA troupe, find a small theater to rent, then nail their scrotum to the stage while singing a J.Beiber song.

Quote from: eddie dean on July 24, 2014, 11:02:27 PM
If the performance artists are looking for a more extreme outlet for their craft. I'd like to suggest, instead of trolling forums, they join a local PA troupe, find a small theater to rent, then nail their scrotum to the stage while singing a J.Beiber song.

I would suggest mime training as well. A post-trolling mime would be something special. Emoticon use at its finest.

pate

Quote from: Kelt on July 23, 2014, 11:30:06 AM...These days Trolling is largely kids posting, "U fukin suck." to which the victim will respond, "no u fucin suck. I Art banged your mom." Absolutely no art whatsoever...

Fixed it?

Oi also blame the intartubes...