• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm listening to/just heard ~audiobook title~

Started by Camazotz Automat, July 03, 2014, 11:47:02 PM

LT's Theory Of Pets, recorded live at London's Royal Festival Hall.

Read by the author, Stephen King.

eddie dean

I'm a fan of S.King & I love his books, but he really needs to stop narrating  audiobooks.
Horrible monotone and boring character voices.
If he was anyone else, the audiobook industry wouldn't hire him.

My last audiobook: Full Dark, No Stars, by King. read by Craig Wasson & Jessica Hecht

WildCard

Halfway through Imajica by Clive Barker.

Next up Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

Been listening to Anne Rice the past few months. I'm embarrassed to admit I like her because both of her movies were shit.

Kelt

The History of Ancient Rome - Garrett G Fagan. If you want to understand Roman history this is what you need to get hold of.

The Stainless Steel Rat - Harry Harrison. Unsurpassed sci-fi romp.

Lectures on Heidegger's Being and Time - Hubert Dreyfus. Yeah...

b_dubb

Quote from: eddie dean on July 04, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
My last audiobook: Full Dark, No Stars, by King. read by Craig Wasson & Fran Drescher

fixed

WildCard

Quote from: WildCard on July 04, 2014, 05:18:46 PM
Halfway through Imajica by Clive Barker.

. . . and that's where I stopped.
I'll read it again. Barker's meant to be read the old-fashioned way.
Mister B. Gone doesn't work if you're not physically holding it in your hands. I've said too much.

I did give Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson one spin.
G. might not of approved but, it was either that or die in the Books that kicked your butt pitt.

Martin Seymour-Smith's 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written
Martin Seymour-Smith presents reviews of one hundred books, which he points out “actually have exercised, if sometimes in devious and very subterranean ways, the most decisive influence upon the course of human thoughtâ€"and therefore, of course, upon various kinds of conduct too.” He emphasizes that books are included for review “because they have changed or colored the way in which people, even whole nationsâ€"as well as individualsâ€"think of themselves.”

Seymour-Smyth is the first author to include Gurdjieff and Beelzebub’s Tales in a ‘best books’ compendium. He points out that Gurdjieff's doctrine is “the most convincing fusion of Eastern and Western thought that has yet been seen… The first important thing to note about this doctrine is that there is, explicitly, no room at all for anyone in it who does not approach it itself in a truly critical and skeptical spirit. It has a cosmology and a psychological systemâ€"and a method, often harsh or comic but in any case entirely in the hands of the teacher, of helping people to become conscious. But a complete sincerity is required, a sincerity that goes quite beyond devotion or faith as those are ordinarily understood.”

http://www.gurdjieff.org/driscoll2.htm

http://www.gurdjieff.org/smith.htm

[attachimg=1]

Just finished
Die Trying  - Lee Child (unabridged)
Tripwire - Lee Child (unabridged)[/size]
Dissolution  - CJ Sansom (full cast audio play)

Just started

Morbid Taste for Bones - (Cadfael book 1) - Ellis Peters

Heather Wade

Quote from: missing transmission on December 14, 2014, 03:17:51 PM

Just finished
Tripwire - Lee Child (unabridged)

Just started

Morbid Taste for Bones - (Cadfael book 1) - Ellis Peters

Thoughts?

Does anyone use Overdrive for audiobooks? My local library subscribes to Overdrive and I use it from time to time.
The last audiobook I listened to was Joseph Anton (a memoir about Salman Rushdie). I didn't like it that much.

Next on the list is a Friends of the Library Bookstore find-"Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation...". I have a feeling I know how this story is going to end.

Kelt

The French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon - S.M. Desan
The History of Ancient Rome - G G Fagan
The Roman Way - David Aaronovitch
The Norman Way - David Aaronovitch
Catastrophe 1914 - Max Hastings
Bill The Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison

...all been getting an airing in the last couple of weeks.

albrecht

For some reason unless it is an audio-play/OTR, short-story, or a lecture I can't seem to get into audio books. Even on long drives. I think once a PD James got me through a long-haul over a Christmas holiday but other than that single time I would much rather read. And, if listening, while doing other stuff I lose the plot. I do really enjoy OTR and the BBC audio-plays though.

Quote from: (Redacted) on December 14, 2014, 03:41:58 PM

Thoughts?

- not bad with some survivalist types as the bad guys could've been tighter written - a bit of padding but not too bad
Tripwire - Lee Child (unabridged)
- fascinating premise and a really nasty bad guy, too much padding and one or two things left unresolved,(but still time to describe a metal clipboard in a hospital!!?)
- compact 10 part drama (15mins each) with the classic BBC feel to it and more than a few similarities to "Name of the Rose"

Quote from: Kelt on December 14, 2014, 07:48:46 PM
The French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon - S.M. Desan
The History of Ancient Rome - G G Fagan
The Roman Way - David Aaronovitch
The Norman Way - David Aaronovitch
Catastrophe 1914 - Max Hastings
Bill The Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison

...all been getting an airing in the last couple of weeks.

If I had seen this list somewhere else on the internet I would be pondering, "Wonder what Bellgabber this is?"   :)

Stephen King's Lovecraftian N. in the form of a graphic novel on DVD narrated with an abridged audio version of the story. The artwork was at times reminiscent of static scenes in the animation Heavy Metal.

"Patient N." is voice performed by Jeff Perry.

Next up: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis as read by John Cleese.

Quote from: eddie dean on July 04, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
I'm a fan of S.King & I love his books, but he really needs to stop narrating audiobooks. Horrible monotone and boring character voices. If he were anyone else, the audiobook industry wouldn't hire him.

[attachimg=1]

I have a similar beef about guitar players whose playing I greatly enjoy but I cannot appreciate their vocals... Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Highly subjective of course, like anything else.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 23, 2014, 12:35:44 AM

I have a similar beef about guitar players whose playing I greatly enjoy but I cannot appreciate their vocals... Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Highly subjective of course, like anything else.

I hope you don't say that about Junior Brown!

WildCard

Quote from: WildCard on December 14, 2014, 02:56:25 PM
G. might not of approved

If I'd actually read this like I implied, I'd know that was wrong. He'd of loved this. I kinda/sorta listened to it.
You're supposed to read it three times. Yeah, right.
This is so boring, it's hypnotic. Then...when you're almost out -

"Imagine a mouse running out as you lift your covers. Why does the mere thought of that arouse so much fear?"

Since you're so bored you're almost asleep, you really do imagine and feel that. Yikes.

Then he sails into-

"Imagine your death. Why is that so hard to do? You can imagine another person's death but you can't imagine your own. Why?"

Near as I can tell, the bottom line is, "you're going to die".
He thinks we don't know that. pffft.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 23, 2014, 12:35:44 AM
Stephen King's Lovecraftian N. in the form of a graphic novel on DVD narrated with an abridged audio version of the story. The artwork was at times reminiscent of static scenes in the animation Heavy Metal.

"Patient N." is voice performed by Jeff Perry.

Next up: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis as read by John Cleese.

[attachimg=1,msg322288]

If you ever get a chance to see Max McLean do The Screwtape Letters on stage, I HIGHLY recommend it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/a-riveting-charming-adaptation-of-the-screwtape-letters/2012/12/23/35d9931e-4c6e-11e2-8758-b64a2997a921_story.html

Here is a short clip.
http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=0092JNNU

I saw him live one other time doing Genesis as a one man stage play. Here is a trailer.

https://vimeo.com/118644218

I think you might be able to find both of them on DVD.

NXOEED

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 14, 2014, 06:16:37 PM
Does anyone use Overdrive for audiobooks? My local library subscribes to Overdrive and I use it from time to time.

I do. I like it. I download audiobooks on days when there are no new podcasts to sync. I'd love  for there to come a time when every day of the week has at least 2-3 decent podcasts. All the good ones seem to come on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Last audiobook I downloaded from Overdrive was Franzen's latest about the girl living in the anarchist squat. Today I'm downloading Chuck Klosterman's new one.

WildCard

I'm surprised this thread doesn't get more traction.
Y'all still read book's in <current year>?!

Anyhoo, I expected to hate this but it really pulled me in.
Little too long, seemed like he kind of lost his way half-way through, but great just by virtue of the subject-matter.
7/10 would bang again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNu5k5Wx1Q

Jackstar

Quote from: WildCard on May 30, 2017, 07:12:54 PM
Anyhoo, I expected to hate this but it really pulled me in.

You're gonna love The Fountainhead!

pate

Doc, you will love this "book"

This story is set in Niven's "The State" universe, which isn't the same as his "Known Space" universe.

-p

pate

Doc, when you are finished "reading" that last one;  you might get a kick out of this one:

It is neither about the Kansas City Chiefs nor the impending Republican mid-term victory;  it is about your favorite:  Communists!

Not to be confused with "The Hunt for Red October," which was written awhile after "Red Storm Rising."

Pretty good thriller, I think you will like the ending and will find it less confusing than my last recommendation for you.

-p

ediot:  This is only "Part 1," I imagine that Part 2-?? can be found in the video's description on the 'Tube.

Dr. MD MD

How's your degree at Remedial College going?

albrecht

Quote from: pate on October 02, 2022, 08:48:13 PMDoc, when you are finished "reading" that last one;  you might get a kick out of this one:

It is neither about the Kansas City Chiefs nor the impending Republican mid-term victory;  it is about your favorite:  Communists!

Not to be confused with "The Hunt for Red October," which was written awhile after "Red Storm Rising."

Pretty good thriller, I think you will like the ending and will find it less confusing than my last recommendation for you.

-p

ediot:  This is only "Part 1," I imagine that Part 2-?? can be found in the video's description on the 'Tube.
There are conspiracies about his death, who wrote the books, and his/their connections. Still, decent reads on a flight/beach etc. Not great literature but fun escapism, kill time, etc. Though some would say a type of propaganda or, even, predictive programming, in some.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on October 02, 2022, 09:08:03 PMThere are conspiracies about his death, who wrote the books, and his/their connections. Still, decent reads on a flight/beach etc. Not great literature but fun escapism, kill time, etc. Though some would say a type of propaganda or, even, predictive programming, in some.

It's perfect for a simpleton then.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 02, 2022, 09:09:24 PMIt's perfect for a simpleton then.
Or a way to kill time. And more fun than youtubes or tv. And no need to upgrade or deal with phones charger how to work online movie etc on a flight, just break out a paperback and get to where you need to go. Alistair MacLean was my go-to for a while. Simple stuff but action some plots decent writing but quick to finish. Clancy had good stuff also for this purpose. Though, post death, 'his' novels increased in more volume but still a quick read. I think they expanded the print and font for audience ages, maybe. Haha.

pate

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 02, 2022, 09:09:24 PMIt's perfect for a simpleton then.

I am sure you can manage it.

If that one is too advanced for you, you might try:

Which was written specifically for adolescents in the 50s/60s era.  You will probably not like it as it is nothing like the dumb movie adaptations.  Somewhat similar, but I do not believe Heinlien would have approved of what was done with his work...

Maybe he would have, he got a little weird in his writings at the end of his life...  This was one of his earlier works.

I enjoyed this one that he wrote in his "Later Years":

Which he wrote in 1982, I admit I purchased it mainly due to the cover.  There are those who believe we are in the "Crazy Years" of Heinlien's universe:

-p

pate

Doc,

I have given you ample time to actually read the past four or five books I have recommended.

I just thought of this fun little one:

Dr. Pournelle wrote all kinds of stuff, you might enjoy his "Strategy of Technology" paper which I believe he wrote for the Reagan Administration, that is if you can understand the relatively light techno-scientific-ese that it was written in.

I offer you an easier option with "West of Honor;" one of the good actual Doctor's many writings in the fiction arena.  I believe this is one he wrote sans co-author, (he frequently worked with other luminaries in the SF/Fantasy world.  "Lucifer's Hammer," is a pretty good co-authored work of his) and is his mid-70s imagining of the state of affairs in the 2070s (roughly one hundred years later, in case, as I suspect you aren't too great at the Maths).

This is the universe of the CoDominion:  where the mutually faltering USA and USSR have made a devil's bargain to unite forces in space.  They still retain their terrestrial territories, but use the space colonies as a place to relocate their "problem citizenry" off world via the BuReLoc (short for Bureau of Relocation).

John Christian Falkenberg is the "hero," of sorts.  He loses his CoDominion Officer's commision for some political reason (perhaps not in this story, but maybe the next one:  there are several "Falkenberg's Legion" novels) and is deposited/left adrift in some awful colony (Tanith?  I vaguely recall this one, its been a few years...)

Anyhow, if you can get over the repulsive idea of the USA & USSR teaming up (I think Pournelle does a decent job of addressing his own revulsion to the idea by the "arranged marriage" aspects of the Soviet/US officer interactions in the CoDominion Space Navy, a sense of mutual fatalism, I digress), you might get a kick out of the Falkenberg series.

Had I acted before the good Doctor's death a few years ago, I would have a signed copy of "The Prince" on my shelves... I unfortunately never got A Round Tuit on sending him the thing, which he promised to sign...  It is a mis-print edition that is missing the first few pages (or one of the illicit "Royalty Thieves" tore those pages out, I was going to tuck a $100 into it when I sent it just in case.  Which he possibly would have sent back!  HAH.  He was a cool dude, I corresponded with him a bit via the e-mail).

One of my infrequent requests to him was that he finish/continue his "Jannisaries" series:

Which were just fun, he was allegedly working on it when he died.  Perhaps his son will complete it based on whatever progress was made before he passed?

That would be neat, even if it turned out like Herbert's son finishing/continuing the Dune story (just not the same as the original, and probably best left unfinished?

-p

Fruitdriller

Quote from: pate on October 04, 2022, 07:09:18 PMDoc,

I have given you ample time to actually read the past four or five books I have recommended.

I just thought of this fun little one:

You cannot view this attachment.

Dr. Pournelle wrote all kinds of stuff,

[...]

if you can get over the repulsive idea of the USA & USSR teaming up

[...]

-p

Quagga in the room.