• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 28, 2014, 06:35:20 AM
Hey whut?

This is not the vegetable conversation you are looking for.

Happy Pancake.  ;)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 27, 2014, 04:12:24 PM

Yeah, but this was back when they were paranoid about the Soviet Union and pretty much anyone else who they thought had got the lead on them; (That the rest of the world had is neither here nor there) so it stood to reason they'd dedicate one pilot to doing what someone else had done over several years (Through being a test pilot), just to say nananananananana....Not immature at all.

Must be hard knowing that your once great empire, has been reduced to a handful of highly taxed wealthy producers that fund the 'dole' from the Queen on down to your multitude of Raggies.

Take solace my jealous friend, China will have the lead soon enough.
God save us both when China will be both the 'moral and military' of the world.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WhiteCrow on November 28, 2014, 09:41:50 AM

Must be hard knowing that your once great empire, has been reduced to a handful of highly taxed wealthy producers that fund the 'dole' from the Queen on down to your multitude of Raggies.

Take solace my jealous friend, China will have the lead soon enough.
God save us both when China will be both the 'moral and military' of the world.

Jealous? Say what? (To use an American expletive). The USA has a 14% illiteracy rate from teenage to adult. It has one of the worst infant mortality rates in the world. It has 30000 people killed with guns each year, from a population that has just over four times that of the UK, that has a gun death rate of about 50 per year. We have the world centres of IT excellence in the world. Boeing has major R&D facilities about five miles from here to tap into our engineering excellence, and I should be jealous, because of what exactly? ;D

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 28, 2014, 11:37:24 AM

Jealous? Say what? (To use an American expletive). The USA has a 14% illiteracy rate from teenage to adult. It has one of the worst infant mortality rates in the world. It has 30000 people killed with guns each year, from a population that has just over four times that of the UK, that has a gun death rate of about 50 per year.

thats cause you Brits tend to be more civilized than us yanks. 
and btw, ~2/3rds  of those gun deaths are suicides, self defense, and cause unknown (ie accidental incidents "i wuz cleaning me gun and it went off sez the redneck). mostly suicides, that probably would of found another way to off themselves in any case.

I should be jealous, because of what exactly? ;D

Because we don't eat food with names like "spotted dick," which sounds like a venereal disease, and "bubble and squeak," which evokes vivid, nightmarish visions of particularly heinous intestinal disorders.  Not to mention the horrors of the traditional English breakfast, which have been well documented for decades and are replete with accounts of grown men ripping their own heads off rather than tuck into one.  That's what.

Happy Pancake!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 28, 2014, 12:02:59 PM
Because we don't eat food with names like "spotted dick," which sounds like a venereal disease, and "bubble and squeak," which evokes vivid, nightmarish visions of particularly heinous intestinal disorders.  Not to mention the horrors of the traditional English breakfast, which have been well documented for decades and are replete with accounts of grown men ripping their own heads off rather than tuck into one.  That's what.

Happy Pancake!

Okay; so I like hash browns with my bacon (three rashes), fried eggs, mushrooms, Cumberland sausage and fried bread. That makes me nearly Cosmopolitan. Bubble and squeak is delicious. And I was asked not that long ago for a reciepe for Yorkshire Pudding, which, tradition has, was invented to fill the guests up before the beef was served so they didn't eat so much of it...Yorkshire folk are said to be mean with money but I've never come across it. ;D

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 28, 2014, 12:09:21 PM

Okay; so I like hash browns with my bacon (three rashes), fried eggs, mushrooms, Cumberland sausage and fried bread. That makes me nearly Cosmopolitan. Bubble and squeak is delicious. And I was asked not that long ago for a reciepe for Yorkshire Pudding, which, tradition has, was invented to fill the guests up before the beef was served so they didn't eat so much of it...Yorkshire folk are said to be mean with money but I've never come across it. ;D

Wow, that breakfast sounds downright civilized!  I take back what I said, unless it turns out you boil all the goodness out of that sausage. I've had the misfortune to eat bangers, and I nearly wept at the sight of those tasteless, gray, miserable little meat cylinders after the cook had sadistically scalded all the life out of them.

albrecht

Jealous? Say what? (To use an American expletive). The USA has a 14% illiteracy rate from teenage to adult. It has one of the worst infant mortality rates in the world. It has 30000 people killed with guns each year, from a population that has just over four times that of the UK, that has a gun death rate of about 50 per year. We have the world centres of IT excellence in the world. Boeing has major R&D facilities about five miles from here to tap into our engineering excellence, and I should be jealous, because of what exactly? ;D
But, on the same token, compare the literacy rate, teenage pregnancy rate, drug use rate, etc of the UK with, say, Switzerland or Norway, or even Germany. Worst in Europe. But same issue like with our guns deaths and literacy rate, if you break it down by race/ethnicity and immigration status. The more "diversity"- the average goes down, or up, depending on what you are talking about. Non-native English types, Gypsies/Travelers, Irish, and immigrants of every sort.  Compare internally within countries and you'll find the same phenomena. Which is why you have some places that used to score high, like Sweden, becoming the highest rape per capita of Europe (and beating out many places around the world.) Have an open-border with a narco-state and take in who knows how many illiterate children and adults (and criminals) like I do in my state. Guess what? Literacy rates and test scores are going to plummet, etc.

ps: I'm not so sure bragging about an American company providing you jobs! If you were so "excellent" why isn't it a British company, say BAE there? Maybe Boeing is just taken advantage of cheap labor for the engineering excellence (likely cheaper than Seattle area) or taxation schemes (the US has high corporate tax rate?) I guess I could claim having BAE nearby here means it was because of our excellence in engineering. But I know it is because they sell more now to our DoD than to the Brits.

Quote from: wr250 on November 28, 2014, 11:47:25 AM

thats cause you Brits tend to be more civilized than us yanks. 
and btw, ~2/3rds  of those gun deaths are suicides, self defense, and cause unknown (ie accidental incidents "i wuz cleaning me gun and it went off sez the redneck). mostly suicides, that probably would of found another way to off themselves in any case.

I disagree that suicide by firearm and accidental incidents aren't relevant to Yorkie's point and the failure of the gun culture.  In fact I think they are quite good examples of why there should be better restrictions on handguns.  But I'll leave that to the political thread.

ks3484

U.S. law says that the Flag should be on display each and every day ( weather permitting ) --

US Code Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6 (d) - The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on ...

Should those who don't comply be sanctioned in some way? After all US Code is the law of the land ( all 50 States & DC ).

albrecht

Quote from: ks3484 on November 29, 2014, 12:25:15 AM
U.S. law says that the Flag should be on display each and every day ( weather permitting ) --

US Code Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6 (d) - The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on ...

Should those who don't comply be sanctioned in way? After all US Code is the law of the land ( all 50 States & DC ).
Only if the law says so, which it doesn't. And since the Court, in all of its self-aggrandizing jurisdiction,  has already ruled that even burning the flag in public is A-Okay. (Interestingly proper disposal of flag also has burning...but no hippie, commie, or Islamists.) I don't think you will be sanctioned or audited if you left your flag out over night. (Though you might risk same under this administration, for flying it at all, perhaps.)

zeebo

Speaking of pancakes ... the highest official pancake toss measured 31 ft 1 in and was achieved by Dominic Cuzzacrea (USA) at Walden Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga, New York, USA, on 13 November 2010.

ks3484

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2014, 12:39:38 AM
Only if the law says so, which it doesn't. And since the Court, in all of its self-aggrandizing jurisdiction,  has already ruled that even burning the flag in public is A-Okay. (Interestingly proper disposal of flag also has burning...but no hippie, commie, or Islamists.) I don't think you will be sanctioned or audited if you left your flag out over night. (Though you might risk same under this administration, for flying it at all, perhaps.)

I see what you're saying so why not put it to a vote? Why not let "all of the People" decide if and what sorts of sanctions should be in place to bring about compliance? Should there be sanctions for not displaying a Flag? Should there be sanctions for not hanging your flag out correctly? Should there be sanctions to varying degrees depending on ...? All speech is not free. Freedom of speech can be abused. You can't yell fire in a closed setting like a theater. If you do then you can expect sanctions. You can't use "speech" to incite. If you do there are sanctions. Besides if you are burning your Flag it means that at least you have one to burn, as opposed to not having one at all - which would carry some very serious sanctions. Once your flag is burned you will be expected to have it replaced in a reasonable amount of time because if you don't have one at all you can expect sanctions. For that matter you can burn a Flag every day because you'll end up replacing it with another one. It's money out of the person's pocket who chooses to burn their flag otherwise they will face sanctions for not having one on display.

ks3484

I know what some might think, but it's there it's really really there  -

US Code Title 22 - Foreign Relations And Intercourse :)

albrecht

Quote from: k >s3484 on November 29, 2014, 01:22:16 AM
I know what some might think, but it's there it's really really there  -

US Code Title 22 - Foreign Relations And Intercourse :)
Of course it is. May I suggest also getting into the "fringed flag" issue?   :o im kidding, but not really considering the whole Law of Sea thing (much les the TPP)

Quote from: zeebo on November 29, 2014, 01:09:07 AM
Speaking of pancakes ... the highest official pancake toss measured 31 ft 1 in and was achieved by Dominic Cuzzacrea (USA) at Walden Galleria Mall in Cheektowaga, New York, USA, on 13 November 2010.

An "official pancake toss" implies that there's an official, internationally recognized standard size for a pancake in terms of weight and diameter.  Do you know what it is, by any chance?  Just curious.  Thanks!

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 29, 2014, 01:59:04 AM

An "official pancake toss" implies that there's an official, internationally recognized standard size for a pancake in terms of weight and diameter.  Do you know what it is, by any chance?  Just curious.  Thanks!

Yep it's the size required to contain two U.S. standard-size sausages as rolled up comfortably in a pigs-in-a-blanket scenario.

Quote from: zeebo on November 29, 2014, 02:21:53 AM
Yep it's the size required to contain two U.S. standard-size sausages as rolled up comfortably in a pigs-in-a-blanket scenario.

Thanks!  That sounds like a very happy pancake!   :D

ks3484

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2014, 01:37:19 AM
Of course it is. May I suggest also getting into the "fringed flag" issue?

Once again, I believe that all of America should have a say in this matter, and we should opt for the ballot - not the bullet. The person in this instance was sanctioned because of ignorance? I think not. He was sanctioned because there are no uniform sanctions that can be applied to those who would disabuse the Flag.

WPXI - Man facing charges for hanging American flag upside down, spray painting it - May 16, 2014

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2014, 01:37:19 AM
:o im kidding, but not really considering the whole Law of Sea thing (much les the TPP)

Maritime Law is a body of work ( sanctions ) used to regulate the highways and byways of the most commonly used conveyances of the day. Sure most of the controlling Maritime Laws that have become obsolete have been updated and/or replaced with concordances that address and reflect more maritime modern issues.

As for the TPP it is replacing the WTO. I would say that it is and has always been an inevitability. It is the Western Hemisphere's attempt to counter the EU. Corporate America has to reconcile it's gross mismanagement of the capital markets it enjoyed thanks to Hitler and Japan. Corporate America enjoyed being above and beyond any threats to it's market share or markets period. It has failed miserably and has shown no ability to recapture it's dominance of the world's markets. It simply never accounted for the fact that the European marketplace could and would rebuild itself following WW1 & WW2. The irony is that we gave, not loaned, but gave Europe the money to rebuild itself. following the war. The  European Recovery Program, or ERP, or as it better known the Marshall Plan did not account for Corporate America's dominance of just about every global marketplace. It never foreseen the imbalances of US or global wages, or the cost of living in America compared to just about every place else on the planet. Corporate America lulled itself and the American consumer in to a false sense of security.

Sorry didn't mean to carry on like this, but consider the tobacco conglomerates. Prices have risen exponentially on a pack of cigarettes in the US (just like gasoline), and there was a point in time when just about half of every adult (men & women) smoked. Now only about one third does. But consider that the entire US population (men, women, and children) is only about 320 million v. the targeted smoking population of mainland China. One third (333 million) of China's one billion plus population smokes and is still more than the entire US population. So who loses? Those who want to smoke despite the Surgeon General's Warning; but have found it to be too much of a financial burden to continue. No thought about the jobs, or incomes that have disappeared in the US and have resurfaced in mainland China who has a labor force that allows for big tobacco to rake in the Yen with little regard for the wages it pays the labor force over there.

albrecht

Squirrels are a threat to our infrastructure. Forget Norry's constant warnings against EMPs or those Russian and Chinese hackers! They even have a movement similar to Sharpton's movement called "Squirrel Power!"
http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/weird/2014/11/24/cupertino-power-outage-squirrel/19480031/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/opinion/sunday/squirrel-power.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2014, 09:52:53 AM
Squirrels are a threat to our infrastructure. Forget Norry's constant warnings against EMPs or those Russian and Chinese hackers! They even have a movement similar to Sharpton's movement called "Squirrel Power!"
http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/weird/2014/11/24/cupertino-power-outage-squirrel/19480031/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/opinion/sunday/squirrel-power.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

does zeebo know about this squirrel enslavement?

Harry Shearer appeared in the pilot for Leave it to Beaver as Frankie Bennett, a sneaky, mischievous acquaintance of the boys who pulls a fast one on The Beaver.  However, his parents wouldn't allow him to continue because they wanted him to spend his childhood in show business.  The character was recast and renamed as Eddie Haskell. 

[attachimg=1]

b_dubb

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 01, 2014, 12:18:46 PM
Harry Shearer appeared in the pilot for Leave it to Beaver as Frankie Bennett, a sneaky, mischievous acquaintance of the boys who pulls a fast one on The Beaver.  However, his parents wouldn't allow him to continue because they DIDN'T want him to spend his childhood in show business.  The character was recast and renamed as Eddie Haskell. 
[attachimg=1]
fixed. sincerely.

Heather Wade

Quote from: ks3484 on December 01, 2014, 09:39:35 PM
6.) Farts have been clocked at a speed of 10 feet per second (7 mph).

In the Archives: Fart Proudly by Benjamin Franklin (1781)

High Speed Farts, great band and/ or album name.

jazmunda

Quote from: (Redacted) on December 01, 2014, 09:57:50 PM

High Speed Farts, great band and/ or album name.

Or a board game that the whole family can play.

jazmunda

If the Wonder Years were made today and it covered the same relative time frame it covered back when it premiered in 1988, it would be set in 1994.

ks3484

Quote from: jazmunda on December 01, 2014, 10:20:52 PM
If the Wonder Years were made today and it covered the same relative time frame it covered back when it premiered in 1988, it would be set in 1994.

How so? I hope that the theme song would be the same-

Boy meets girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall with Lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRm6lXCG1kw