• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 02, 2014, 12:12:31 AM
Does anyone remember what this thread was supposed to be about?  I'm pretty sure whatever it is, we aren't discussing it.

I think it had something to do with the Earps,  Doc Holliday, Jesus, and Godzilla defeating the Redcoats at the O.K. Corral on the 4th of July. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 02, 2014, 12:24:58 AM
I told her that she should always be satisfied in bed.  Seems you set the bar rather low.

That isn't my fault. I get by reading toilet walls. Doesn't everyone? Oh bastard; they don't do they?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 02, 2014, 12:26:04 AM
I think it had something to do with the Earps,  Doc Holliday, Jesus, and Godzilla defeating the Redcoats at the O.K. Corral on the 4th of July.
And Star Trek apparently being fiction. Bastards.

Kelt

And Kelt is In Before Hoagland again!

I found The Face on Kirk!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 02, 2014, 12:28:42 AM
And Star Trek apparently being fiction. Bastards.

Just make sure to stay out of the thirteen original states on July 4th, Yorkie, because that's when they allow any legally drunk descendant of a Revolutionsry War veteran to kill British citizens with a flintlock.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 02, 2014, 12:40:36 AM
Just make sure to stay out of the thirteen original states on July 4th, Yorkie, because that's when they allow any legally drunk descendant of a Revolutionsry War veteran to kill British citizens with a flintlock.

You mean you'd let them do it? Our marriage is a sham. You'll be hearing from my solicitor.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 02, 2014, 12:40:36 AM

Yes, but first you'll have to endure this bit of acting.

Captain Kirk Preamble

Quote from: Kelt on October 02, 2014, 12:35:21 AM
And Kelt is In Before Hoagland again!

I found The Face on Kirk!

No doubt about it, although NASA will probably claim it's just a random shadow pattern made by the straps of Shatner's girdle in the bright studio lights.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 02, 2014, 12:48:13 AM

Captain Kirk Preamble

That is acting in the same way Hoagland is a scientist. Just look at the data.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 02, 2014, 12:52:46 AM
That is acting in the same way Hoagland is a scientist. Just look at the data.

Did I say endure?  I meant you will first be honoured by partaking in this magnum opus of a performance.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 02, 2014, 12:48:13 AM

That episode wasn't the least bit heavy handed, was it?  I still have scars from being hit by the symbolism!  And to this day, I don't understand how Kirk was able to instantly identify all that "We plebneesta" stuff as a woefully inept pronunciation of the Preamble. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 02, 2014, 12:54:31 AM
Did I say endure?  I meant you will first be honoured by partaking in this magnum opus of a performance.

I have a stream of snot and tears to clear up now. It's...it's....it's  too much  :'(

zeebo

The failed 1985 product known as New Coke was later re-released to limited markets under the label Coke II in the early 90's, and after years of virtually non-existent promotion and low sales was permanently discountinued in 2002.  (I don't ever remember seeing it anywhere personally.)

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: zeebo on October 02, 2014, 01:12:34 AM
The failed 1985 product known as New Coke was later re-released to limited markets under the label Coke II in the early 90's, and after years of virtually non-existent promotion and low sales was permanently discountinued in 2002.  (I don't ever remember seeing it anywhere personally.)

[attachimg=1]

They probably dumped it on Third World countries, because they figured people wouldn't realize they weren't getting the "Real Thing" and couldn't do anything about it even if they did.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 02, 2014, 01:27:44 AM
They probably dumped it on Third World countries, because they figured people wouldn't realize they weren't getting the "Real Thing" and couldn't do anything about it even if they did.

Around here the Real Thing can mostly only be found in the small corner Mexican grocery stores - they have the version made from cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 02, 2014, 01:47:16 AM
Around here the Real Thing can mostly only be found in the small corner Mexican grocery stores - they have the version made from cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Too bad we can't still get the real Real Thing, from the early years, if'n you know what I mean.

b_dubb

We know what you mean. * wink wink *

New Coke was introduced to distract people from the switch from sugar to high fructose corn syrup

Quote from: Kelt on October 02, 2014, 12:35:21 AM

This is why there are no heroes anymore.  A man takes a stand and you goddamn liberals make fun of his posture.

Quote from: zeebo on October 02, 2014, 02:05:01 AM
Too bad we can't still get the real Real Thing, from the early years, if'n you know what I mean.

Some of baseball's biggest stars of that era were openly "juicing" on it and heartily endorsing its energy bestowing properties (which might explain a lot of Rube Waddell's legendary eccentric behavior).  And, of course, kids couldn't get enough of it!

[attachimg=1]

And then there was Vin Mariani, the choice of royalty, inventors, presidents, and popes.  From Wikipedia - "Vin Mariani (French: Mariani's wine) was a tonic and patent medicine created circa 1863 by Angelo Mariani, a French chemist who became intrigued with coca and its economic potential after reading Paolo Mantegazza’s paper on coca's effects. In 1863, Mariani started marketing a wine called Vin Tonique Mariani (à la Coca du Pérou) which was made from Bordeaux wine treated with coca leaves.

"The ethanol in the wine acted as a solvent and extracted the cocaine from the coca leaves, altering the drink’s effect. It originally contained 6 mg of cocaine per fluid ounce of wine, but Vin Mariani that was to be exported contained 7.2 mg per ounce, in order to compete with the higher cocaine content of similar drinks in the United States. Advertisements for Vin Mariani claimed that it would restore health, strength, energy, and vitality.   Vin Mariani was very popular in its day, even among royalty such as Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland. Pope Leo XIII and later Pope Saint Pius X were both Vin Mariani drinkers. Pope Leo awarded a Vatican gold medal to the wine, and also appeared on a poster endorsing it.

"Thomas Edison also endorsed the wine, claiming it helped him stay awake for longer hours. Ulysses S. Grant was also a fan of the wine, which he began drinking while writing his memoirs towards the end of his life."

[attachimg=2]

aldousburbank

Quote from: zeebo on October 02, 2014, 02:05:01 AM
Maybe you can't.  ;)
Oddly though, when Coca is combined with alcohol, as in wine, a sedative-like compound alkaloid is also engendered, which noticeably mellows the stimulatory effects in my experience. 

Eddie Coyle

China began to strictly enforce it's Zero Population Growth laws for infant females because they were sick and tired of hearing "Isn't She Lovely" which each new baby girl.

Can't say I blame them.

pate

Quote from: wotr1 on September 24, 2014, 12:06:18 PM
So: Providing that Tommy writes 52 simple comments and questions on separate 3X5 cards and Jorch shuffles them before reading them each night, there are enough permutations that no listeners should be able to tell that the host is sleeping through the interview?

His *real* name is actually Jorch Lame Wastey...

zeebo

Quote from: aldousburbank on October 02, 2014, 11:18:09 AM
... when Coca is combined with alcohol, as in wine, a sedative-like compound alkaloid is also engendered, which noticeably mellows the stimulatory effects in my experience.

This sounds like a fine elixer, and I'd sign up for any trial studies of it's medicinal value.

pate

Can one still buy coca leaves at the local apothecary?  I love this stuff but prefer to make my own elixers...

aldousburbank

Quote from: pate on October 04, 2014, 02:36:00 AM
Can one still buy coca leaves at the local apothecary?  I love this stuff but prefer to make my own elixers...
Yes! At the local apothecary in Peru and Bolivia. 

Heather Wade

Quote from: aldousburbank on October 04, 2014, 08:36:29 AM
Yes! At the local apothecary in Peru and Bolivia.

Peru does ship to the states.

A crayon can be lit like a candle, and will burn for about 30 minutes.

Batman is a river, city, and province in Turkey, which doesn't really help explain Turkeyman

[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

King Tut's wife was also his half sister.