• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Exported TV shows

Started by Yorkshire pud, June 10, 2014, 10:58:38 AM

Yorkshire pud

Another thread gave me an idea to ask which TV shows/ dramas/ sit coms have you seen that came to you from over the pond US-UK that you really enjoy? Dr Who and Star Trek (in all genres/ Deep Space ( etc) are a given.

For me I loved (in no particular order): MASH, Soap, Hill St Blues, Taxi, Happy Days, Big Bang Theory, Frazier

I'll try and think of others. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 10, 2014, 10:58:38 AM
Another thread gave me an idea to ask which TV shows/ dramas/ sit coms have you seen that came to you from over the pond US-UK that you really enjoy? Dr Who and Star Trek (in all genres/ Deep Space ( etc) are a given.

For me I loved (in no particular order): MASH, Soap, Hill St Blues, Taxi, Happy Days, Big Bang Theory, Frazier

I'll try and think of others.

Great idea, Yorkie!

For starters, I enjoyed "Good Neighbors," which had a hilarious premise (and also since I had a serious lust for Felicity Kendall when I first watched it thirty-some years ago), "Cracker" with the brilliant Robby Coltrane, "Lovejoy," "Black Adder," "French and Saunders," and "Ab Fab," although I still haven't seen the latest installment of that.  I also love "Big Train," although I've just seen bits of it on YouTube--great stuff!  A Brit friend also turned me on to "Bottom," which I've also caught on YouTube, and I'm still trying to make up my mind about.  Rik Mayall (really enjoyed "Bad News on the Road") and Ade Edmondson are outstanding, but the disgust meter goes off the charts sometimes. 

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of BBC tripe gets aired on our Public Broadcast System (PBS) network, just because many self-styled intellectuals think that anything British must be sophisticated.  That includes, "Are You Being Served?" (it had its moments, but it kind of beat its own jokes to death), which has a huge following and is still being aired, "To the Manor Born," and "Vicar of Dibley," although I like Dawn French a lot.

Oh, and also a fan of "Do Not Adjust Your Set," although again I've just seen YouTube clips.  It's just about impossible to beat the combination of the pre-Pythons and the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band!  May Viv Stanshall, the old Ginger Geezer, rest in peace while still perpetrating the occasional bit of madness and mayhem.

RcCle

AbFab is the funniest damn show.  Timeless, like "I love Lucy".

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 10, 2014, 11:16:02 AM
Great idea, Yorkie!

For starters, I enjoyed "Good Neighbors," which had a hilarious premise (and also since I had a serious lust for Felicity Kendall when I first watched it thirty-some years ago),

That's interesting: It was called 'Good life' here. Did they change it?

"Cracker" with the brilliant Robby Coltrane, "Lovejoy," "Black Adder," "French and Saunders," and "Ab Fab," although I still haven't seen the latest installment of that.  I also love "Big Train," although I've just seen bits of it on YouTube--great stuff!  A Brit friend also turned me on to "Bottom," which I've also caught on YouTube, and I'm still trying to make up my mind about.  Rik Mayall (really enjoyed "Bad News on the Road") and Ade Edmondson are outstanding, but the disgust meter goes off the charts sometimes. 

You probably heard that Rik Mayall died yesterday. 56, great loss. Genius is overused, but he was a pioneer in so many ways.

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of BBC tripe gets aired on our Public Broadcast System (PBS) network, just because many self-styled intellectuals think that anything British must be sophisticated.  That includes, "Are You Being Served?" (it had its moments, but it kind of beat its own jokes to death), which has a huge following and is still being aired, "To the Manor Born," and "Vicar of Dibley," although I like Dawn French a lot.

I didn't like Are you being served first time around. Manor born was okay. Dibley, so so.
Oh, and also a fan of "Do Not Adjust Your Set," although again I've just seen YouTube clips.  It's just about impossible to beat the combination of the pre-Pythons and the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band!  May Viv Stanshall, the old Ginger Geezer, rest in peace while still perpetrating the occasional bit of madness and mayhem.

Did you get Fast Show? And in the early 80's all the Mell Smith/Rowan Atkinson/ Griff Rys Jones shows?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 10, 2014, 11:33:56 AM
That's interesting: It was called 'Good life' here. Did they change it?

They must have, because it was always "Good Neighbors" here.  Penelope Keith is a tremendous actress, too.  I've seen her in quite a few things.

[/quote]You probably heard that Rik Mayall died yesterday. 56, great loss. Genius is overused, but he was a pioneer in so many ways.[/quote]

I did not. Damn--that is very sad news.  I'll have to look that up.  Totally agree about "genius" although I would say that if he didn't qualify, he didn't miss by much.

[/quote]I didn't like Are you being served first time around. Manor born was okay. Dibley, so so.
Did you get Fast Show? And in the early 80's all the Mell Smith/Rowan Atkinson/ Griff Rys Jones shows?
[/quote]

Not familiar with those.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 10, 2014, 11:39:27 AM
They must have, because it was always "Good Neighbors" here.  Penelope Keith is a tremendous actress, too.  I've seen her in quite a few things.

You probably heard that Rik Mayall died yesterday. 56, great loss. Genius is overused, but he was a pioneer in so many ways.

I did not. Damn--that is very sad news.  I'll have to look that up.  Totally agree about "genius" although I would say that if he didn't qualify, he didn't miss by much.

I didn't like Are you being served first time around. Manor born was okay. Dibley, so so.

Not familiar with those.

A Kick up the 80's? Sorry my fault...I meant that yes, Rik Mayall was a genius in my opinion, but was a pioneer too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27768531

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27776568

The Young Ones also starred Mayall's comedy partner Ade Edmondson. They met at Manchester University and went on to create characters including The Dangerous Brothers and BBC sitcom Bottom.

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing," said Edmondson on Monday.

"They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."
:)

For "Not the Nine O'clock News"

one of their best sketches... and sadly still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y&feature=kp

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

Just saw that in a story about Mayall's death--nice one!  It was interesting to read that they got the idea for "Bottom" while performing "Waiting for Godot."  I'd like to see a slapstick version of that!

albrecht

"Fawlty Towers"
"Upstairs, Downstairs"
"Sherlock Holmes" (Jeremy Brett, I hate the new "Sherlock" show)
any of the Poirot movies
"Tailor, Tinker, Solider, Spy" with Sir Alec Guinness
"Keeping Up Appearances"
"Are You Being Served"
"Father Brown" is pretty decent
and of course, "Benny Hill" and "Monty Python"

MrMajestik

Skins and The I.T. crowd.
Both of which were copied here in the U.S. into vastly inferior versions.

Yorkshire pud

Not the nine o'clock news. I remember watching this the first time (I'd have been 17-18) and couldn't breath for laughing.

http://youtu.be/rG-7miFQR_I

And does anyone remember Oliver Stones "Wild Palms"

I loved this at the time and still kind-of like it now

Trailer - http://www.videodetective.com/movies/wild-palms/2966

area51drone

Benefits street.   This is why I think a Casio show would do very well..  right along with Hoarders, etc.

coaster

Antiques Roadshow, which was not just imported but copied here in the states. Both versions are really good.

In order, from the BBC:

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) - the  episodes not from the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories were not nearly as good
Red Dwarf - at least the first few seasons
Orphan Black
Sherlock

I think there are quite a few shows that were based on BBC series.  The ones I liked over the years were:

Three's Company
The Office
All in the Family
Sanford and Son

ManiacMatt

Monty Python was an all time favorite, but I loved One Foot In The Grave.  Watching that old guy get mad was hilarious.  I don't believe it!

This list is very long because I'm an addict

In order:
Doctor Who: all 12 regenerations, even Colin Baker
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Smiley's Children
BBC miniseries I, Claudius and Claudius the God
BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth
BBC miniseries Persuasion with Ciarin Hinds
Monty Python
The Fast Show
House of Cards (original)
Sherlock (old and new)
Absolutely Fabulous
The Thick of It
As Time Goes By
The Fades
Luther
Upstairs, Downstairs (original)
Life on Mars
Black Adder
BBC miniseries Neverwhere
Torchwood
The League of Gentlemen
Yes, Minister

And, thank you, UK, for sending us the great Edward Woodward as our Equalizer

Quote from: ManiacMatt on June 10, 2014, 03:20:31 PM
Monty Python was an all time favorite, but I loved One Foot In The Grave.  Watching that old guy get mad was hilarious.  I don't believe it!

But did you see the brief moment where you find out why he's so angry?

I, Claudius
Red Dwarf
Blackadder (the WW1 period series)

I like lots of the 70s and older BBC stuff. They have this really low sound profile-less background noise and incidental sounds, a slight bit of echo-so many of them give the feeling you are watching the performance alone in a playhouse.

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 10, 2014, 04:00:59 PM
This list is very long because I'm an addict

In order:
Doctor Who: all 12 regenerations, even Colin Baker
Smiley's Children
BBC miniseries I, Claudius and Claudius the God
BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth
BBC miniseries Persuasion with Ciarin Hinds
Monty Python
The Fast Show
House of Cards (original)
Sherlock (old and new)
Absolutely Fabulous
The Thick of It
As Time Goes By
The Fades
Luther
Upstairs, Downstairs (original)
Life on Mars
Black Adder
BBC miniseries Neverwhere
Torchwood
The League of Gentlemen
Yes, Minister

And, thank you, UK, for sending us the great Edward Woodward as our Equalizer
Indeed. I forgot that the BBC Dickens productions are very enjoyable, especially 'Bleak House' I thought. Enjoyed Luther also, esp 1st season. And, of course 'House of Cards' n sequels (original not the remake though I hear it is pretty good.) The newer productions (or interpretations) of Sherlock Holmes and 'Upstairs, Downstairs' were not nearly as good. I have the both the Jeremy Brett Sherlocks and "US/DS" series on VHS. About the only VHS that I still kept in this days of DVD or just movie files.

Also Sapphire and Steel!

A deeply strange supposed rival to Dr Who it continues to baffle and enthral even now

Sapphire and Steel - TV intro HQ (1979-82)

Kelt

With the death of Rik Mayall, this bears posting.

http://youtu.be/aH6i6qJncSI

zeebo

The 1981 BBC mini-series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Although done on a small budget, it's so much better and funnier and truer to the book than the lame bloated movie.  Great casting too.

Also as some have mentioned:

Red Dwarf
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy mini-series
Monty Python
Ab/Fab
Keeping Up Appearances
Black Adder
The Day the Universe Changed series by James Burke

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 10, 2014, 04:00:59 PM
Smiley's Children

Did you mean Smiley's People, a sequel to TTSS?  I haven't seen it but want to.  Also I wish the BBC would do the Honourable Schoolboy which was my favorite Le Carre novel.

Quote from: zeebo on June 10, 2014, 05:54:05 PM
Did you mean Smiley's People, a sequel to TTSS?  I haven't seen it but want to.  Also I wish the BBC would do the Honourable Schoolboy which was my favorite Le Carre novel.

Duh! Brain spasm! Thanks zeebo. Indeed it is Smiley's People.

Interesting factoid: Patrick Stewart plays Karla, Smiley's nemesis. He's also in I, Claudius before he got a full body waxing for Star Trek TNG. I  notice these things.  ;D  The man gets around.

I left off the excellent Prime Suspect with the divine Helen Mirren.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: missing transmission on June 10, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
But did you see the brief moment where you find out why he's so angry?

Yes, of course, that's why it was so funny!

Quote from: ManiacMatt on June 10, 2014, 06:14:12 PM
Yes, of course, that's why it was so funny!

Ummm perhaps were thinking of a different scene? Or perhaps your sense of humour is waaaaay darker than mine.

jazmunda

Nice thread Yorkie.

* Doctor Who
* Blake's 7
* Space 1999
* Monty Python
* Faulty Towers
* Black Adder
* The Young Ones
* Life on Mars
* I.T. Crowd
* The Office
* Extras
* Derek
* Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
* Love Thy Neighbour
* Mind Your Language
* Man About the House
* George and Mildred
* The Goodies
* Are You Being Served
* The Inbetweeners
* Spaced
* Hale and Pace

Hey jaz, speaking of imported television, I remember seeing an early sixties Australian kiddie adventure show called "The Terrible Ten."  It was about ten early adolescent types who lived on farms or ranches and rode around on horses. In their wanderings, they found a big pile of scrap lumber and built themselves a pretend town, which they (naturally) called "Ten Town."  I remember nothing else except that they always had spine tingling adventures, may have solved petty crimes, and we're always being menaced by a group of bad kids, who they inevitably thwarted and humiliated.  Does that ring any bells?

We also got Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" for awhile, although about all I remember is the little improv jazz piano he pounded out during the credits.