• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 25, 2015, 04:32:11 AM
   It's 5:30am, and I'm sparking up and watching "Cabin Boy" after drinking all night.

My next post may be from a rehab clinic.

Remember how brilliant that guy was on Letterman all those years? Remember how great his TV show was?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 25, 2015, 09:18:36 AM
Remember how brilliant that guy was on Letterman all those years? Remember how great his TV show was?

"Get A Life" is one of the few shows I enjoyed as kid that I still can watch and actually enjoy it. I have them on VHS from 1990-92. It used to get pre-empted by Celtics games(especially in 91-92 when it was on Saturday nights) and end up airing at 2am...and it was even better in that time slot.

Late Night With David Letterman was often terrific. Late Show With Letterman almost never came close to what he was doing at NBC. His relationship was CBS was too cozy and the edge was gone.

http://youtu.be/uhRoWXgWpxY

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on January 25, 2015, 05:31:21 AM
Bring it.  Hell, I was actually watching and KEEPING SCORE of the Reese's Senior Bowl on Saturday. 

You think that's bad, in the wee morning hours I was watching some European league soccer match .... and CARING about it.   :-\

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: zeebo on January 25, 2015, 01:57:04 PM
You think that's bad, in the wee morning hours I was watching some European league soccer match .... and CARING about it.   :-\

I still watch because they are way overdue for a massive human stampede or conflagration.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 25, 2015, 11:54:40 AM

"Get A Life" is one of the few shows I enjoyed as kid that I still can watch and actually enjoy it. I have them on VHS from 1990-92. It used to get pre-empted by Celtics games(especially in 91-92 when it was on Saturday nights) and end up airing at 2am...and it was even better in that time slot.

Late Night With David Letterman was often terrific. Late Show With Letterman almost never came close to what he was doing at NBC. His relationship was CBS was too cozy and the edge was gone.

'Chris Elliott: A Television Miracle' David Letterman's 2nd Annual Holiday Film Festival 1986

ks3484

▲ Frontline: Secrets of the Vatican

Reminded me about the stuff Fr. Malachi Martin was speaking of on one of Art's Coast to Coast shows. He said he used the stuff going on in the Vatican as background for his book "The Windswept House".

Smiley's People, 1982
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, 2011 Gary Oldman and Mark Strong were excellent, but the original miniseries with Alec Guinness and Ian Bannon will always be the gold standard for LeCarre

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on January 27, 2015, 05:49:16 PM
... the original miniseries with Alec Guinness and Ian Bannon will always be the gold standard for LeCarre

Enjoyed that series too.  So many books would be better as mini-series than movies.  I'd take lower production values and richer storylines over the problematic movies we often get.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on January 27, 2015, 07:26:48 PM
Enjoyed that series too.  So many books would be better as mini-series than movies.  I'd take lower production values and richer storylines over the problematic movies we often get.
It is very hard to get a decent book into a 2hr (or less) movie. Short stories make for better movies. I think mini-series is the happy middle of allowing more in depth and length but still allowing for an ending and good productions and not just a tv show that seem to try to exist forever until they don't have ratings and then quit (often unsatisfactorily.)

Quote from: albrecht on January 27, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
It is very hard to get a decent book into a 2hr (or less) movie. Short stories make for better movies. I think mini-series is the happy middle of allowing more in depth and length but still allowing for an ending and good productions and not just a tv show that seem to try to exist forever until they don't have ratings and then quit (often unsatisfactorily.)

That was the problem with the 2011 remake of Tinker, Tailor. Too much book for a film and most of the nuance were missing. In the miniseries, you became part of the unfolding of the layers upon layers of mystery surrounding the mole and when he was revealed it was a shocker, much more than someone who was just sitting in various meetings as in the film.

Don't most mini-series just end up turning into pulpy romance novels, no matter what they were supposed to be about?

pate

Not sure:

Idiocracy - Brawndo

but about to watch that old? Rowan Atkinson Mr. Bean movie that I think Netflix e-mailed me about about a month ago, 'cuz I just checked e-mail and saw that in my month long SPAM folder that I go through on the Last Tuesday of the Month, the 27th (whichever comes first), -OR- when I notice that Mercury is in retrograde, who cares about the methodology?  Mr. Bean=funny so I can totally truthfully say that with all the evidence I have at the time of this post, it will be awesome!

I know, how did I miss "Johnny English" in the theatres, well, to tell the truth I think I was outside protesting "American Sniper" or something...  Not sure...

edit: My bad, "Johnny English Reborn" is the totally awesome movie that I willhavebeen watcheringed...  Damn intartubes...

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on January 27, 2015, 07:55:50 PM

I'm kinda drunk at the moment so won't risk elaborating on this, and instead will just say I agree 99%.  (The 1% wiggle-room is in case I reconsider while sober.)

Kelt

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on January 27, 2015, 08:26:08 PM
Don't most mini-series just end up turning into pulpy romance novels, no matter what they were supposed to be about?

I absolutely fucking HATE the nonsensical pandering to women in every single goddamned movie and TV show, where a 'romantic subplot' is hammered into the storyline whether it requires it or not.

Do chicks seriously need a romantic angle to a blood and guts sci-fi spectacular in order to watch it?  And if you do then fuck off and watch Titanic instead of corrupting my blood and guts sci-fi spectacular with all this stupid, unnecessary romantic shit.

"I am ZLOTHAR, Ruler of the Universe, come to destroy your puny world! But first, let's have 20 minutes of the hero talking to some superfluous chick about babies and valentines day! THEN we can get on with the killing and suchlike... MWUHAHAHAHAHA!"

Godfuckingdammit!

Great... now I'm furious.

ksm32

Ravenous!  Anybody seen this movie?  Folks eatin Folks!

mmm, folllks.

Yes! Totally killed Pride and Prejudice for me. Too much lovey dovey schmaltz, not nearly enough fisticuffs.  :)

Only if Richard Chamberlain is in it.
(Oh, crap, I just outed myself.)  :P

b_dubb

Quote from: ksm32 on January 28, 2015, 02:25:16 AM
Ravenous!  Anybody seen this movie?  Folks eatin Folks!

mmm, folllks.
That was fun. Not at all what I expected.  Reminded me of Hammer films.  Particularly "The Wicker Man".

Quote from: Treading Water on January 28, 2015, 12:18:42 PM

Erm,,,, Konichiwah Ajin-san

STILL locked in my memory vault, since I ran out and bought the video  ;D 

Quote from: b_dubb on January 28, 2015, 01:34:07 PM
That was fun. Not at all what I expected.  Reminded me of Hammer films.  Particularly "The Wicker Man".

Christopher Lee can bust a move but I never could take my eyes off the hobby horse or the salmon of knowledge at the tail end of the parade.

Kelt

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on January 28, 2015, 03:35:41 PM

Christopher Lee can bust a move but I never could take my eyes off the hobby horse or the salmon of knowledge at the tail end of the parade.

Funny thing is that that gif looks like the residents of Stornoway on any given Saturday night.

Quote from: Treading Water on January 28, 2015, 12:18:42 PM

The Thorn Birds, Shogun... phhhhht  ;) .

Mostly, I remember one that was supposed to be about the Apollo missions, but it mostly involved some inconsequential joker going around sleeping with the astronauts' wives.  As a kid interested in space, it all seemed kind of pointless.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on January 28, 2015, 03:35:41 PM

All I remember from that movie was the innkeeper's daughter.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 28, 2015, 07:24:13 PM
All I remember from that movie was the innkeeper's daughter.

I hope you remember the lesson as well - if it's the eve of a pagan festival, and the innkeeper's daughter tries to seduce you, always go for it.

Delphi

Downloading "Unbroken" .. Anyone seen it?  The previews looked good.. i live ww2

yumyumtree

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 25, 2015, 11:54:40 AM

oh, yes, Chris Elliott was from the early days of Letterman, in the early 80s, when I was still living in Missoula. and there was Larry "Bud" Melman, too.

I really liked "Get a Life", too.  I remember the actress playing his mother had actually been a sitcom queen from an earlier era and I thought that was interesting casting.  She was usually seen in a bath robe.  I think she had been on Father Knows Best or something and also played Andy Griffith's girlfriend in the 60s.

I seem to remember some TV show with Chris Elliott playing a doctor, too.