• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

zeebo

I caught "Flying Guillotine 2" on El Rey the other night.  Now I just gotta see the prequel.

Eddie Coyle

I had the misfortune of passing by the ABC affiliate around 9:30pm and they were showing some shitass Sandler movie of recent vintage.

I've never missed College Football so desperately....

yumyumtree

Jamaica Inn 1939
Considered one of the inferior Hitchcock films and even included in a 50 worst films books by Harry Medved and some other guy.  But I liked it.  Apparently the personality clashes of Hitchcock and Charles Laughton created a lot of problems.

American Sniper 2014
Now today people on imdb.com are whining about "fake babies' and I have no idea what they're talking about.  Could somebody who saw American Sniper please enlighten me?  I didn't spot them, I'm afraid.

Heather Wade

Is this thread only for movies?  "Life Below Zero"
If only I was tough enough to live in Alaska.  If only...

analog kid

Watched Interstellar last night.

I'm not really the biggest Christopher Nolan fan in the world. Thought it was interesting for a while, and then tedious, much like Inception. Damn movie is three hours.

b_dubb

"The Man In The High Castle" - episode 1 on Amazon Prime. Thumbs up.

ks3484

â–²Wierd or What? - S2&3 - Hosted by William Shatner - Couldn't find S1 on Netflix.

analog kid

Taken 3. It's kind of like the Taken franchise meets The Fugitive.

It's not a good sign when you're watching a mindless popcorn movie, while drinking, and can't even finish it.

Kelt

Just saw Hellboy 2. That's a great movie.

not a movie, but It's Always Sunny is back on FX.Possibly the funniest comedy on American TV ever.

"What do now"? asked Charlie.

zeebo

Quote from: analog kid on January 23, 2015, 12:02:53 PM
Watched Interstellar last night.

I'm not really the biggest Christopher Nolan fan in the world. Thought it was interesting for a while, and then tedious, much like Inception. Damn movie is three hours.

I so agree - I found it unbearably slow, dreary, and emotionally overwrought.  For a laugh check out some of the imdb reviews, not the fake ten-star ones, but the others by people who actually sat through it.

I just watched Mirage Men, a documentary about Richard Doty, Bill Moore and Paul Bennewitz. I have always been interested in the subject of UFOs but this doc made a case for a more down to Earth - still creepy - explanation for some of the more bizarre "contactees" and the crossover between UFO phenomenon and psychological operations. The show was really interesting and kept me thinking about it for a long time afterward and makes some interesting connections. I saw it on netflix, at least here in Canada it was available.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 24, 2015, 01:22:12 PM
I just watched Mirage Men, a documentary about Richard Doty, Bill Moore and Paul Bennewitz. I have always been interested in the subject of UFOs but this doc made a case for a more down to Earth - still creepy - explanation for some of the more bizarre "contactees" and the crossover between UFO phenomenon and psychological operations. The show was really interesting and kept me thinking about it for a long time afterward and makes some interesting connections. I saw it on netflix, at least here in Canada it was available.

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to go pick up the book at the library this afternoon.

Quote from: ItsOver on December 28, 2014, 06:12:44 PM
How about "The Imitation Game?"  The preview looked good.

Saw it last night.  The acting is really impressive, particularly by Cumberbatch as Turing.  Technically, the movie is good and would be interesting for someone not familiar with the historical facts.

For those who know of Turning, this film might be aggravating.  The story is way out of whack with historical reality, but also you don't get a full appreciation of the magnitude of what Turing accomplished, both on the Enigma project and also in terms of his contributions to computer science.  Also, he's portrayed as though he had Asperger's, which was not the case at all. 

One of the producers said the film was a work of art, and the objective was not to make a documentary, but to create a sense of what it was like to be Turing working on that project in that environment.  The only place that they clearly succeeded in that, in my opinion, was the monstrous injustice visited upon him by the UK because he was a fag.  The sadness of it all was very effectively communicated without descending into the maudlin. 

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 18, 2015, 01:40:07 AM

I had the misfortune of passing by the ABC affiliate around 9:30pm and they were showing some shitass Sandler movie of recent vintage.

I've never missed College Football so desperately....
College Football.  My crack cocaine.  Adam Sandler.  The Anti Christ.  If he was a no talent dumbass.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 24, 2015, 02:05:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to go pick up the book at the library this afternoon.

I'm going to keep on the lookout for it, I'm sure it will be a very interesting read.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 24, 2015, 04:17:04 PM
I'm going to keep on the lookout for it, I'm sure it will be a very interesting read.

Just got home with it and will probably dive in this evening. The library has the movie, too, but all the copies are checked out right now.

aldousburbank

I've been watching Blue Bloods on Netflix. NYPD family with Magnum PI as Police Commissioner, and some older dude with awesome dentures whose face is recognizable but a name that nobody knows as the family patriarch.

Aside from filling my West Wing vacuum, i.e. television fantasy that there is integrity somewhere in public service, I like that 3 generations have a meal together in every episode. I'm a simple dude that way. And I'm into law and order as long as I'm the one ordering it.

It's not a particularly outstanding series but it's pretty good and would probably go great with beer and salty snacks. That kind of thing. I've only been weedicated whilst watching but it's pretty good that way, if that's allowed in your viewing region. If you're like me and miss Manhattan the second you leave it, you'll enjoy the abundance of city scenery.

3.5 out of 5 toke rating.

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 24, 2015, 04:36:02 PM
... NYPD family with Magnum PI as Police Commissioner...
I'm surprised we haven't heard Jorch fantasizing about a studio in NYC.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on January 24, 2015, 11:47:45 AM
I so agree - I found it unbearably slow, dreary, and emotionally overwrought.  For a laugh check out some of the imdb reviews, not the fake ten-star ones, but the others by people who actually sat through it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I loved it,a nd cried buckets.

analog kid

Quote from: zeebo on January 24, 2015, 11:47:45 AM

What I see a lot are the Nolan fanboys - those guys who are going to the theater five times for it. It's just not that good. I kept getting taken out of the movie, for one thing, by the insistence that I acknowledge how great an actor McConahey is (not bothering spellchecking that name).

One might say the movie insists upon itself.

American Sniper

Powerful. Very intense; very difficult to watch. Best picture, best actor, best actress.

zeebo

Quote from: yumyumtree on January 24, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I loved it,a nd cried buckets.

Yep I kept hearing for weeks about how great it was so finally decided to catch it in the theater for the full experience.  Unfortunately, that's what I got.   ;)

I could really go on about all my gripes with it, and I did a bit on another thread here, but in the end these are all opinions and I certainly know the feeling of loving a movie that various other people disliked.  Glad you got something good out of the experience.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on January 24, 2015, 02:21:01 PM
College Football.  My crack cocaine.  Adam Sandler.  The Anti Christ.  If he was a no talent dumbass.

I'd watch Florida Atlantic vs UAB play 7 on 7 scrimmages before I'd consider watching an Adam Sandler thing. I guess ABC treats Saturday nights as a wasteland between Jan-Aug, if they're airing Sandler films.

zeebo

Quote from: analog kid on January 24, 2015, 08:49:22 PM
...One might say the movie insists upon itself.

And for three hours.  :)   ... with the preachy dialogue, over-sentimentality, ear-blasting sound effects/score, ... oops, sorry- I promised myself I wouldn't rant anymore about it.  Moving on.

Eddie Coyle

It's 5:30am, and I'm sparking up and watching "Cabin Boy" after drinking all night.

My next post may be from a rehab clinic.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 25, 2015, 12:10:05 AM
    I'd watch Florida Atlantic vs UAB play 7 on 7 scrimmages before I'd consider watching an Adam Sandler thing..
Bring it.  Hell, I was actually watching and KEEPING SCORE of the Reese's Senior Bowl on Saturday.  Go North!
-GNS & ASS

Speaking as a helpless college football addict, I find considerable solace in ESPNU, BIG TEN NETWORK, and other similar sports platforms that run replays of college games -- classic games, and those not so classic.