• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Zoo

SOA (Sons of Anarchy) has come to a end. I have watched this show from the first to the last and enjoyed it a lot. I am sad to see it end but I am also glad it went out with a really good ending!!1

coaster

Quote from: Kelt on December 08, 2014, 11:30:39 PM
And then it ends with no actual resolution.  Just a close up of the guy from The Fugitive and MiB mumbling something about stuff.

That was the best part of the movie. I'm surprised that you got nothing out of that scene.

Zoo

Predestination, not a bad movie. Takes you on a wild ride of what the hell is going on. When you think you got it you find out you don't. Just when you do get it you find out that you knew the whole time but let yourself be fooled. I liked it.

Four cans of gasoline 8) !!1

yumyumtree

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 09, 2014, 12:27:21 AM
The David Cronenberg movie?

Nope, later movie.  Same title unfortunately.

I didn't see this Crash, but it was probably an injustice for it to beat out Brokeback Mountain for the Oscar.  But I didn't see Crash, so maybe not.

I don't know whether or not to recommend Blood Simple to you.  It's the same Coen brothers territory, but more accessible.

ks3484

♦ Bermuda Triangle-

♦ S.H.I.E.L.D. S1 E1-11 - non animated version-

♦ Salem-

♦ Bermuda Tentacles-

♦ Night of the Demons 2-

Kelt

Quote from: coaster on December 10, 2014, 02:05:11 AM
That was the best part of the movie. I'm surprised that you got nothing out of that scene.

I like a good monologue when it's appropriate.   

Rutger Hauer's "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" was as powerful as it was entirely unexpected.  Samuel L Jackson's, "You ever read the Bible, Brett?" monologue, possibly one of the coolest moments in modern film-making. Even Jamie Bamber's, "What would ANY of us have done?" monologue in the Battlestar episode, Crossroads, was brilliant.

Tommy Lee Jones' monologue, unlike those three previously mentioned monologues, leaves its meaning open to interpretation... but given the crude violence of the movie it seemed out of place to finally tack on an attempt at deeper meaning.

zeebo

Quote from: Kelt on December 10, 2014, 10:51:57 PM
...Rutger Hauer's "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" was as powerful as it was entirely unexpected.  Samuel L Jackson's, "You ever read the Bible, Brett?" monologue, possibly one of the coolest moments in modern film-making. Even Jamie Bamber's, "What would ANY of us have done?" monologue in the Battlestar episode, Crossroads, was brilliant.

Good examples.  I'd add:

Morgan Freeman's from Shawshank: "There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret.  ....."

Mel Gibson's from Braveheart:  "Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while...."

and Bill Pullman's from Independence Day:  "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world...."

I know there's some great ones from Battlestar, maybe from the episode Scar, or Razor.

This should probably be it's own spin-off thread.

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 10, 2014, 05:34:42 PM

I don't know whether or not to recommend Blood Simple to you.  It's the same Coen brothers territory, but more accessible.

I liked Blood Simple.

Quote from: Zoo on December 10, 2014, 04:20:52 AM
Predestination, not a bad movie. Takes you on a wild ride of what the hell is going on. When you think you got it you find out you don't. Just when you do get it you find out that you knew the whole time but let yourself be fooled. I liked it.

Four cans of gasoline 8) !!1

i liked it so i dug up where it came from on YT.

ââ,¬â€All You Zombiesââ,¬â€

coaster

Saw Nightcrawler tonight. It was slow and repetitive in parts, but all in all it was a good movie. Also Horrible Bosses 2. Why I dont know. I guess I needed a laugh, but they were few and far between.

yumyumtree

This may sound silly but one of my favorite movie monologues is the "I like me" speech John Candy gives Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles

yumyumtree

Bullitt 1968
Big Fish 2003
The Ides of March 2012(I think)

I can recommend all three with no reservations.

paladin1991

Watched the Revelation Road Trilogy.  We liked it, but the boy was busy pointing out inconsistencies....so I guess he enjoyed itr after all.

paladin1991

Watched Cleanskin with Sean Bean.  Dark, watch how the sheeple are worked according to plan.  Does this happen?   

yumyumtree

Inside Llewyn Davis 2013
Auntie Mame 1958

Did John Goodman's character in Inside Llewyn Davis put anybody else in mind of Michael Savage?  What was he even doing with those two guys anyway?  I wasn't clear on that.

eddie dean

Anybody watching/watched The Newsroom?
Overall, I enjoyed the show.  Complex characters & fast paced dialog especially during conflicts.
I'm disappointed with the series finale, however.  It was pretty weak. It could have been so much better if they explored/extended certain story lines, (I'm purposely being vague so I don't spoil it) and didn't rely on the flash back tactic, which is lazy.

The 3rd season was entirely too short with only 6 episodes.  The season started off really great, but the plot resolved so fast it was like Sorkin just got bored with it or ran out of ideas, then wrote in the typical "Ride into the sunset" and "happily ever after" ending.
The best endings shouldn't always be wrapped up in a nice little package. The audience should continue to wonder, almost agonize  about what happens, long after the credits finish rolling.

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 18, 2014, 07:22:44 PM

Auntie Mame 1958

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Love that film, but I'm also a big Rosalind Russell fan and she was absolutely brilliant.

albrecht

Various "Charlie Chan" movies since easy availability (though questionable print quality) on the internet. I've always liked the old Sherlock, Chan, Mr. Moto, Fu Manchu, Falcon (gay didn't mean what it mean now) movies, but some of the Chan movies stand out for also production value of the time (imbedded music shows, old cars, excellent and under-rated black actors (Mantan Moreland Ben Carter etc with their awesomely funny rap talk routines)and for the ridiculous plots of spiritualism (very C2C style) and other more modern things like money counterfeiting, Nazi spies, corporate frauds, family inheritances, "locked room" killings, etc.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 19, 2014, 08:33:18 PM

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Love that film, but I'm also a big Rosalind Russell fan and she was absolutely brilliant.

It was originally "sons of bitches" or "bastards" but due to the Hayes code was changed to "suckers" for the movie.  Personally I prefer the musical versions, but this was entertaining enough.

yumyumtree

Straight from the Heart 2003

I could lie and say that I didn't see this. Since it was a TV movie I watched on DVD, it may not count.  It was, as one imdb user put it, "pure schmaltz," the kind of thing you would see on Lifetime, pure chick flick.  But it also got a 7.0 on imdb, and I suspect that there are Fellini and Bergman films that don't get that.  So go figure.

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 18, 2014, 07:22:44 PM
Auntie Mame 1958

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 19, 2014, 08:33:18 PM

:) :)  One of my favorites!!  :) :)

"Wife?"
"Think, Agnes.  Think!"

Just watched it again last night.   :)

Quote from: Treading Water on December 22, 2014, 12:21:42 PM

"Wife?"
"Think, Agnes.  Think!"

Agnes Gootch! Lol!

The Bishop's Wife 1947 Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven

Fantastic cast, lovely holiday movie and oh! that ice skating scene!

paladin1991

It's a Wonderful Life.  Holiday favorite.  Next, A Christmas Story.

paladin1991

Whoops.  Spoke to soon.  Kids are watching March of the Toy soldiers.  Stan and Ollie.  the kids love the look back into early last century film vision.