• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on November 25, 2014, 11:14:26 PM
Nice ,Thank you Wild Card. Nice to see McKenna again.
I went to his birthday party in Hawai'i just months before he learned of his terminal illness. Nice party, hundreds of people.
[attachimg=1]

One of the several reasons I check in here.  Greatly enjoy random anecdotes of bellgab members having run into famous/interesting personalities, be it a somewhat obscure blues musician, Britney Spears, or Ronnie James Dio, etc. The more old school, the better.

Ok, I kid about Brit. Please. No selfies or details featuring Britney. (But if Britney herSELF wishes to send a PM, hit me up, baby!)

WildCard

Nice ,Thank you Wild Card. Nice to see McKenna again.
I went to his birthday party in Hawai'i just months before he learned of his terminal illness. Nice party, hundreds of people.

Too cool!
Transcendental Object ends with a clip of an Art Bell interview with Terrence talking about his cancer, his impending death, etc. Just priceless.
Whoever made this did a really good job.

Is the Peter Bergmann here the PB of Firesign Theatre?

I didn't even think of that but, no I don't think so. What a comedy duo that would of been.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 25, 2014, 11:09:30 PM
No have Get TV. Also have not viewed The Ambushers in a very long time.

At the risk of sounding redundant, should I get Get TV?

Remember Dean's fireman's pole on his television show? hahaha. Epic coolness.

No longer limited to growing up to be a fireman. Grow up to be Dean Martin!

Batman with a martini. Spy with a singing voice.

I don't know if you can get Get TV unless your TV provider decides to add it to your line up like mine did a few weeks ago.  It's a movie channel with editing and commercials that shows a strange mix of TCM type classics and action movies from the sixties and seventies, including some European period movies I'd never heard of that featured big Hollywood stars like Bronson and Tony Curtis.

I do remember Dean's old variety show with the fire pole.  I'm a long time fan, because he had so much fun playing the Dean Martin persona with a wink and a little twinkle in his eye.  It had to be cooll to be him!

WildCard

Will Camazotz Automat ever share his Howard Bloom joke?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Don't count on it".
Oh well, I wouldn't get it anyway.

It looks like Get TV is doing a Matt Helm marathon tonight, because now it's showing The Wrecking Crew, the one where he goes undercover by disguising himself as Phil Spector, foils the bad guys, and winds up with all the sexy chicks he doesn't shoot during one of his periodic psychotic rages.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 26, 2014, 01:11:14 AM
It looks like Get TV is doing a Matt Helm marathon tonight, because now it's showing The Wrecking Crew, the one where he goes undercover by disguising himself as Phil Spector, foils the bad guys, and winds up with all the sexy chicks he doesn't shoot during one of his periodic psychotic rages.

This sounds like the greatest thing ever filmed by anybody.

Quote from: WildCard on November 26, 2014, 12:09:42 AM
Will Camazotz Automat ever share his Howard Bloom joke?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Don't count on it".
Oh well, I wouldn't get it anyway.

Keep eyes out for a PM on Thanksgiving, WC.

I should be just inebriated enough to share.

Quote from: Treading Water on November 25, 2014, 08:53:27 PM

Ha!  I knew I wasn't the only one.   ;)

"Manly yes, but I like it too" LOL, it's a big club!

I don't get the weird accent. Gillian Anderson was born in the UK before emigrating when she was a kid. I can't tell what region she's striving for, but it's fun to listen to, anyway. And James Dornan - holy crap, loved him as the sheriff in Once Upon a Time but what a creep he is in this.

Also, when it comes out "The Missing" currently on BBC and Starz with James Nesbitt is highly recc'd.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 05:47:08 AM

I don't get the weird accent. Gillian Anderson was born in the UK before emigrating when she was a kid. I can't tell what region she's striving for, but it's fun to listen to, anyway. And James Dornan - holy crap, loved him as the sheriff in Once Upon a Time but what a creep he is in this.

Also, when it comes out "The Missing" currently on BBC and Starz with James Nesbitt is highly recc'd.

I've been watching series on Netflix lately.  I'm having fun picking out the actors who have parts in Game of Thrones.  They all look so different with clothes on.... :o

I've enjoyed all your recommendations so far.   :)   Especially the creepy guys. teehee

Quote from: Treading Water on November 26, 2014, 11:41:10 AM

I've been watching series on Netflix lately.  I'm having fun picking out the actors who have parts in Game of Thrones.  They all look so different with clothes on.... :o

I've enjoyed all your recommendations so far.   :)   Especially the creepy guys. teehee

Aw, thanks TW!

I've been doing the Game of Thrones game, too. The actors are everywhere. The BBC had another miniseries about a young woman who joins the British army as a medic and heads to Afghanistan. One guy gives her a hard time and later develops a crush on her. I knew I saw him somewhere - he's the psycho who tortures Theon. Then there was an adaptation of Under Milkwood, (highly recc'd) and there he was again. He's all over the place.  ;D

Can't wait for season 5. I've seen some stills from production and it looks epic.

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 03:58:37 PM
... Can't wait for season 5. I've seen some stills from production and it looks epic.

This is for GoT right?  Aren't they doing a season per book, i.e. would this be book 5?

bigchucka

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 07:36:23 PM
This is for GoT right?  Aren't they doing a season per book, i.e. would this be book 5?

Not exactly. When writing the third book, it became so large they thought it would be best to split it up.  In the "Westeros" timeline, books 3 and 4 happen during the same time.  Everything gets merged back together during the fifth book.

zeebo

Thanks for the info.  I made it through the 3rd book, then gave up on it, but still curious how (or if) things get resolved.  So gonna just binge-watch the series at some point.

b_dubb

Quote from: bigchucka on November 26, 2014, 07:52:14 PM

Not exactly. When writing the third book, it became so large they thought it would be best to split it up.  In the "Westeros" timeline, books 3 and 4 happen during the same time.  Everything gets merged back together during the fifth book.
BigChucka have you gained the power of the The Sight yet?

I've never read the books, zeebo. I bingewatched over the summer until I caught up which is why it's season 5 to me. I guess at some point I ought to crack open the books as they have to be more detailed than the tv production.

b_dubb

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 08:37:11 PM
I've never read the books, zeebo. I bingewatched over the summer until I caught up which is why it's season 5 to me. I guess at some point I ought to crack open the books as they have to be more detailed than the tv production.
Uhhh each book is fairly huge.  Some as big as "Atlas Shrugged".  Maybe I'll read the first book at some point but not ALL of them.  GRRM needs an editor. A brutal editor.  Basically the Mountain On A Horse but with a pen and one of GRRM's manuscripts. Just hacking away.

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 08:37:11 PM

Yep after reading some 3000 pages, I can confirm they've got plenty of details.   ;)

Quote from: b_dubb on November 26, 2014, 08:51:48 PM
Uhhh each book is fairly huge.  Some as big as "Atlas Shrugged".  Maybe I'll read the first book at some point but not ALL of them.  GRRM needs an editor. A brutal editor.  Basically the Mountain On A Horse but with a pen and one of GRRM's manuscripts. Just hacking away.

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 08:51:54 PM
Yep after reading some 3000 pages, I can confirm they've got plenty of details.   ;)

Seeing as how you both put it that way, I think I'm going to skip the books and avoid that inevitable moment on page 2500 where I shout "WTF? Who gives a shit?" and bounce the book against a wall.

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 09:14:11 PM
...I think I'm going to skip the books and avoid that inevitable moment on page 2500 where I shout "WTF? Who gives a shit?" and bounce the book against a wall.

That experience happened to me twice during the third book.  The first time I picked it up again and plowed through to the end.  The second time was on the last page and resulted in this post/rant:

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,711.msg290450.html#msg290450

Don't end up like me.   :D

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 09:14:11 PM

Seeing as how you both put it that way, I think I'm going to skip the books and avoid that inevitable moment on page 2500 where I shout "WTF? Who gives a shit?" and bounce the book against a wall.

You could just read the wikipedia summaries.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 27, 2014, 12:16:45 AM
You could just read the wikipedia summaries.

Well yeah, but then there would be nothing to complain about.

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 09:30:39 PM[size=78%][/font][/size]That experience happened to me twice during the third book.  The first time I picked it up again and plowed through to the end.  The second time was on the last page and resulted in this post/rant:

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,711.msg290450.html#msg290450

Don't end up like me.   :D

Wow, epic rant zeebo, and one I agree with. I like my fantasy with a little moral underpinning. I want to know Sauron's going to get a black eye at the end. I really don't get that with GoT although I do like Tyrion and Ned, but as the gore escalates I find myself losing interest.

Quote from: coaster on November 27, 2014, 12:50:13 PM
mystery science theater turkey day marathon
https://www.shoutfactory.com/editorials/mst3k-turkey-day-sale-marathon

Sweeeet!  Thanks for the heads up! 

I still have some VHS tapes of the Turkey Day marathon they did about twenty-five years ago.  Great memories!

[attachimg=1]

coaster

Joel Hodgson did an AMA the other day on Reddit and it looks like MST3K is coming back. Also, not sure where I found this link, but it has all the MST3K episodes. Hell, I may have seen the link here, not too sure. http://www.club-mst3k.com/

Quote from: coaster on November 27, 2014, 01:16:49 PM
Joel Hodgson did an AMA the other day on Reddit and it looks like MST3K is coming back. Also, not sure where I found this link, but it has all the MST3K episodes. Hell, I may have seen the link here, not too sure. http://www.club-mst3k.com/

That's great news! 

They also put all the episodes on YouTube awhile back.

maureen

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 26, 2014, 03:58:37 PM

Aw, thanks TW!

I've been doing the Game of Thrones game, too. The actors are everywhere. The BBC had another miniseries about a young woman who joins the British army as a medic and heads to Afghanistan. One guy gives her a hard time and later develops a crush on her. I knew I saw him somewhere - he's the psycho who tortures Theon. Then there was an adaptation of Under Milkwood, (highly recc'd) and there he was again. He's all over the place.  ;D

Can't wait for season 5. I've seen some stills from production and it looks epic.
my dear UC, it's delightful that someone else appreciates Under Milkwood. I grew up with the original recording and would appreciate a link to the film adaptation you have been watching. As Blind Captain Cat calls out as he passes the fish shop, "Goodbye, girls!" Great is our Dylan!!!

Quote from: maureen on November 27, 2014, 01:43:33 PM
my dear UC, it's delightful that someone else appreciates Under Milkwood. I grew up with the original recording and would appreciate a link to the film adaptation you have been watching. As Blind Captain Cat calls out as he passes the fish shop, "Goodbye, girls!" Great is our Dylan!!!

One of my favorites! This was a particularly wonderful all Welsh BBC production that was performed by actors in Wales, the US and Canada. Tom Jones was Capt Cat, and other big hitters were involved including Sian Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Michael Sheen. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a DVD forthcoming and I can't find it uploaded to youtube yet.  :(

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 27, 2014, 12:39:50 PM
Wow, epic rant zeebo, and one I agree with. I like my fantasy with a little moral underpinning. I want to know Sauron's going to get a black eye at the end. I really don't get that with GoT although I do like Tyrion and Ned, but as the gore escalates I find myself losing interest.

Haha yeah I think trying to keep all those characters and subplots straight sent me over the edge that day.  And I get what you mean, although I guess none of us yet know how it really ends, since there's still supposedly two more tomes to come.  For all I know he may resolve everything in awesome fashion, but I lost patience with what eventually seemed to me a bunch of people wandering around not resolving anything.   

The moral ambiguity though I actually thought was pretty interesting, the way the characters have different motivations and moods and alignments that shift and develop throughout.  It does make it hard to know who to root for, or against though.  Certain characters I still don't know how to classify.  In any case there are several that I'm invested in at this point and still really want to know how it turns out for them.  (Btw I'm not being specific here to avoid spoilers.)