• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

pate

In the middle of "The Lighthorseman" (sp) ...

WWI?  WWII?

I thought Mr. Gibson was above all that...

albrecht

I won't be watching this. Never watched the remake of "House of Cards" either. Why not just watch the original ones. Lots better, usually (though I admit I like the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Sutherland better than the original.) Or, heaven forbid, come up with stories and interesting plots/actors that are new, Hollywood?
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fox-developing-remake-of-bbcs-luther-with-creator-neil-cross-1201359232/

albrecht

In keeping with my, frankly, bizarre attachment to "made-for-tv" movies of decades past:
"Cruise Into Terror" (1978). Can by found on the youtubes even.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077382/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_35
Amazing cast of character actors and great actors. It always amazes me (I miss it) how many good actors used to make low-budget or made-for-tv films back in the day. Ridiculous plots, no budgets, etc. Or make big-budget, ridiculous films like the disaster-film era. And this was post Studio-contract days so, I guess, just to make a buck or pay off some more alimony? Anyway this one is pretty good. "Face" from "The A-Team", TC from "Magnum P.I." getting their start. And established types Ray Milland (from "Last Weekend" and "Big Clock" and "Dial-M" to this and "Frogs!"), John Forsythe, Christopher George (and wife the lovely Lynda Day) and many good actresses. And an Egyptian curse theme in Mexican waters!!

WildCard

The Transcendental Object At The End Of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAlaRdrcQcY
"Created by Peter Bergmann, this is a movie/documentary/project/mashup/juxtapo­sition/amalgamation made from everything Terence McKenna left us with, mixed with the music of We Plants Are Happy Plants."

b_dubb

Interstellar is definitely worth seeing.  The beginning seemed slow and awkward but there are reasons for this.  Be sure to void your bladder and your bowels first.  It's almost three hours long.  My ass fell asleep toward the end.

I saw Interstellar a week ago and still can't decide whether I liked it or not.  I'd still say it's worth seeing.

I hate the way Netflix recommends the same movies over and over again in different formats on the same page. Jeez, aren't there enough movies to go around that each category can have something fresh instead of recycled stuff from the categories above?

Now that I've got that off my chest, I watched 'A Long Way Down' with Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collette and Aaron Paul. Not the worst way to spend an evening, so I'll just give it the damning 'cute' review. A man goes on the roof of a tall building in London on New Year's Eve to commit suicide and finds himself with companions with the same intent. As always, Toni Collette was great but the film was predictable.

My new obsession is Ireland's The Fall. Series 1 is on Netflix and Series 2 just began on BBC. Despite Gillian Anderson's rather strange accent, it's a good series about her detective's cat and mouse with a serial killer of young women with dark hair which is spanning both series at this point. It's no 'The Killing', but in it's own way, it's good.

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on November 23, 2014, 10:13:17 PM
for those NOT keeping up.... http://www.bfi.org.uk/sci-fi-days-fear-wonder   8)

That is a film (re)show in theaters? It looks interesting and I would like to watch all of the Quartermass stuff on a big screen.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 23, 2014, 11:15:40 PM
That is a film (re)show in theaters? It looks interesting and I would like to watch all of the Quartermass stuff on a big screen.
it's a three month event of science fiction celebration. i've been a fan of science fiction/horror/anime since 1964. Forrest J Ackerman was a pen pal of mine. in 1977 i finally got to visit him. i had never seen a Hugo Award so he let me hold the one he was awarded. his is unique.
i took my fandom everywhere i visited on this planet and met a lot of good people. my post of the event (only a month late) was also meant to throw out some good stuff to watch that might have been missed by other fans.  8)

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on November 24, 2014, 12:03:18 AM
i've been a fan of science fiction/horror/anime since 1964. Forrest J Ackerman was a pen pal of mine. in 1977 i finally got to visit him. i had never seen a Hugo Award so he let me hold the one he was awarded. his is unique.

I used to watch his main panel at San Diego Comic Con every year. He was great.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 24, 2014, 12:33:02 AM
I used to watch his main panel at San Diego Comic Con every year. He was great.

agreed. the best of fans.

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on November 24, 2014, 12:03:18 AM
it's a three month event of science fiction celebration. i've been a fan of science fiction/horror/anime since 1964. Forrest J Ackerman was a pen pal of mine. in 1977 i finally got to visit him. i had never seen a Hugo Award so he let me hold the one he was awarded. his is unique.
i took my fandom everywhere i visited on this planet and met a lot of good people. my post of the event (only a month late) was also meant to throw out some good stuff to watch that might have been missed by other fans.  8)
[attachimg=1]

Quatermass and the Pit is still one of the scariest science fiction films made. I've been very wary of underground construction ever since.

eddie dean

For the 007 fans, the doc called "Everything or Nothing. The Untold Story..." explores the story behind Ian Fleming's iconic character James Bond.
It's a great doc film, I highly recommend it!

Mad Men Season 7 Part 1. Episodes 1 through 7.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 24, 2014, 04:22:11 AM
Quatermass and the Pit is still one of the scariest science fiction films made. I've been very wary of underground construction ever since.

One of the few movie posters I own. Would like to own a miniature of that insectoid piloted spaceship and put it on my desk. During my extremely brief "model building" phase, I longed for a company to release that bad thing, even contacting a place called Lunar Models in the very early 1990s inquiring about their creating a custom kit for fans.

"You could build the kit yourself," he said. "Good luck."

No. No, I couldn't. It would have ended up looking like a flattened bicycle helmet.

Bought the old poster. It's the American Five Million Years To Earth sheet. Needless to say, that film made a strong impression on my perception of all things sci fi and horror. When I read Stephen King's Tommy Knockers, I was like, I see what you did there.

This is a fairly good pic of the ship via lobby card, which really, I should have bought instead of the poster.  It would make a good Christmas present to myself:

analog kid

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 23, 2014, 07:19:59 PM
I saw Interstellar a week ago and still can't decide whether I liked it or not.  I'd still say it's worth seeing.

Sounds like a Christopher Nolan movie. I'm still not sure if I liked Inception, or thought it was tedious and self indulgent. It's not something I'd watch a second time though.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 24, 2014, 05:34:03 PM

One of the few movie posters I own. Would like to own a miniature of that insectoid piloted spaceship and put it on my desk. During my extremely brief "model building" phase, I longed for a company to release that bad thing, even contacting a place called Lunar Models in the very early 1990s inquiring about their creating a custom kit for fans.

"You could build the kit yourself," he said. "Good luck."

No. No, I couldn't. It would have ended up looking like a flattened bicycle helmet.

Bought the old poster. It's the American Five Million Years To Earth sheet. Needless to say, that film made a strong impression on my perception of all things sci fi and horror. When I read Stephen King's Tommy Knockers, I was like, I see what you did there.

This is a fairly good pic of the ship via lobby card, which really, I should have bought instead of the poster.  It would make a good Christmas present to myself:

Wow, Cam, I really am envious of the poster. This is one of my favorite sci fi films ever, but the whole Quatermass franchise is great. I saw it again recently and it still was a scary, well-thought out piece of work. Owning a miniature of the insectoid ship would be the absolute best. Russell T Davies dipped heavily into Quatermass for his Torchwood miniseries 'Children of Earth'. At first he credited Nigel Kneale and then Kneale was forgotten. I thought the story CoE was derived from was better than the rehashed remake.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 23, 2014, 09:40:39 PM

My new obsession is Ireland's The Fall. Series 1 is on Netflix and Series 2 just began on BBC. Despite Gillian Anderson's rather strange accent, it's a good series about her detective's cat and mouse with a serial killer of young women with dark hair which is spanning both series at this point. It's no 'The Killing', but in it's own way, it's good.

HA!  I just started watching that, too.  You are correct, young lady! 
Her accent is kinda' goofy. 
But I like it, too....   ::)
(See what I did there?  Or isn't anyone else old enough to remember?)

Quote from: Treading Water on November 25, 2014, 04:11:55 PM

HA!  I just started watching that, too.  You are correct, young lady! 
Her accent is kinda' goofy. 
But I like it, too....   ::)
(See what I did there?  Or isn't anyone else old enough to remember?)

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when women liked that manly scent.   :(

bateman

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 23, 2014, 09:40:39 PM

LOVE that series - didn't realize it was back. I was in Belfast last year, so it's pretty cool to pick out some of the locations.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 25, 2014, 04:18:49 PM

Ha!  I knew I wasn't the only one.   ;)

Bates Motel - Season 2

Vera Farmiga absolutely kills as Norma Louise Bates.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 25, 2014, 04:18:49 PM

I'm old enough to have advised the serpent/reptilian not to enter the Garden to tempt those damnable humans.  Did he/the reptile race listen?

Noooooooooooo.

Look what happened (more or less.)

(I relive these pivotal events while listening to The Bee Gees sing "Nights on Broadway.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2SDf42guB4

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 25, 2014, 10:44:25 PM
Bates Motel - Season 2

Vera Farmiga kills as Norma Louise Bates.

Do you have Get TV, Cam?  The Ambushers just started.  Haven't seen it for many years, but it was one of my favorites during my adolescence.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 25, 2014, 10:57:17 PM

Do you have Get TV, Cam?  The Ambushers just started.  Haven't seen it for many years, but it was one of my favorites during my adolescence.

No have Get TV. Also have not viewed The Ambushers in a very long time.

At the risk of sounding redundant, should I get Get TV?

Remember Dean's fireman's pole on his television show? hahaha. Epic coolness.

No longer limited to growing up to be a fireman. Grow up to be Dean Martin!

Batman with a martini. Spy with a singing voice.

Quote from: WildCard on November 23, 2014, 11:53:12 AM
The Transcendental Object At The End Of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAlaRdrcQcY
"Created by Peter Bergmann, this is a movie/documentary/project/mashup/juxtapo­sition/amalgamation made from everything Terence McKenna left us with, mixed with the music of We Plants Are Happy Plants."

Nice ,Thank you Wild Card. Nice to see McKenna again.
I went to his birthday party in Hawai'i just months before he learned of his terminal illness. Nice party, hundreds of people.
Is the Peter Bergmann here the PB of Firesign Theatre?