• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Wishmaster 3 : Beyond the Gates of Hell (2001)
Wishmaster 4 : The Prophecy Fulfilled (2002)
Phantasm (1979)

pate

David Lynch among his other proclivities has the idea of drama

Dune (9/9) Movie CLIP - I Will Kill Him! (1984) HD

Query:  was Twin Peaks a book before it was a screenplay?

Answer:  Lynch did not direct Starship Troopers

Codicil:  Neither were important works of literature?

pate

Ridley Scott?  Who knew sean young was so forgotten...

Blade Runner (4/10) Movie CLIP - Time to Die (1982) HD

It is like a pro rassler against a Olympian...  no rules?  Ridley vs Lynch is herecule bs the fleece... or something...

Perhaps I should reorder the similie (sp?)  Lynch vs Scott is herecule vs the gods' mission... or something...

I prolly got that all wrong... 

edit:  nobody studies histoire anymore

WildCard

Wishmaster was cool. I've gotta watch those again.

Does anybody remember a Clive Barker movie called, "Nightbreed"?
There's a blu-ray director's cut.
I've only watched it long enough to check the quality, which is awesome.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 27, 2014, 02:30:19 AM
Wishmaster 3 : Beyond the Gates of Hell (2001)
Wishmaster 4 : The Prophecy Fulfilled (2002)
Phantasm (1979)

That's dedication!  Are you feeling a little shaky and woozy after all that? 

Nice pic of the Astor Theater!  Cool Iced Air beats Hot Iced Air any time!

And your "They Live" avatar saved Halloween by giving me a last minute inspiration for an easy costume for a party Saturday, so many thanks for that--plaid shirt, shades, and a knapsack, easy peasy!  Three people got it, which was more than I expected.  Everyone else thought I was just being my usual bad self.  "Put on the glasses!"   8)

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 27, 2014, 11:13:51 AM
That's dedication!  Are you feeling a little shaky and woozy after all that? 

Wishmasters 3 & 4 made the first Wishmaster look like Citizen Kane.

So, yeah, I'm bumping into things.

Phantasm served as tourniquet and prevented bleed out, but when October OCDfest is over, I'm going to have to line up several episodes of NOVA and Math is Fun to reclaim lost neural territories.

October is fun!

In the state I'm in at the moment, if I were disgustingly rich, I would finance Wishmaster 5 : Travels Through Time

ks3484

The Tomorrow People 2013: Pilot - The Tomorrow People 2013: SE1 EP2: In Too Deep - The Tomorrow People 2013: SE1 EP3: Girl Interrupted 

In The Name Of The King 2007 - In The Name Of The King 2 2011: Two Worlds - In The Name Of The King 3 2014: The Last Mission

The Monkey's Paw 2013 - The Chair 2006 - Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down 2013: Parts 1 & 2 - House 1986 - House 2 1987: The Second Story - Haunter 2013 - The Invincible Iron Man 2007

albrecht

Quote from: ks3484 on October 27, 2014, 07:26:47 PM
The Tomorrow People 2013: Pilot - The Tomorrow People 2013: SE1 EP2: In Too Deep - The Tomorrow People 2013: SE1 EP3: Girl Interrupted 

In The Name Of The King 2007 - In The Name Of The King 2 2011: Two Worlds - In The Name Of The King 3 2014: The Last Mission

The Monkey's Paw 2013 - The Chair 2006 - Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down 2013: Parts 1 & 2 - House 1986 - House 2 1987: The Second Story - Haunter 2013 - The Invincible Iron Man 2007
I like. Especially the first House and MacLeans. Gonna do revisit "Trilogy of Terror" 1975 but not just because a caller mentioned a doll-like being that "reminded him of Karen Black being chased by a doll" during latest Knapp C2C. (George had whole show about doll and that reference was never mentioned. I dont think even Chucky or Poltergeist one was.) Hosts matter. And I liked Karen Black.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 27, 2014, 03:42:26 PM
Wishmasters 3 & 4 made the first Wishmaster look like Citizen Kane.

So, yeah, I'm bumping into things.

Phantasm served as tourniquet and prevented bleed out, but when October OCDfest is over, I'm going to have to line up several episodes of NOVA and Math is Fun to reclaim lost neural territories.

October is fun!

In the state I'm in at the moment, if I were disgustingly rich, I would finance Wishmaster 5 : Travels Through Time

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to wait a day or two before operating heavy machinery or trimming your nostrils and other crucial yet delicate areas. 

Have you read The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker?  The premise is truly original, and it's a well crafted story.  I had a couple of quibbles, but got over it. 

Like your Camazotz Virus!  At the party I went to Saturday, a friend of mine came as an infected doctor and gave everyone Ebola by handing out colored pipe cleaners he'd painstakingly twisted into the virus shape.  It was great!

Phantasm II (1988)

Quote from: WildCard on October 27, 2014, 10:16:31 AM
Wishmaster was cool. I've gotta watch those again.

Does anybody remember a Clive Barker movie called, "Nightbreed"?
There's a blu-ray director's cut.
I've only watched it long enough to check the quality, which is awesome.

I remember being intensely interested in Nightbreed.  At the time, I was peddling a novel about creatures from the underworld attempting ritualistic ascension, and was worried the ideas would be too similar.  Then I watched the film and was relieved they were not alike... good news.   

I then got a nibble from Villard Books, an imprint of Random House, who had read the first three chapters and got my hopes soaring when they requested to see the entire manuscript.

But ultimately, it was not meant to be.

Damn it.

But still, making it past the first readers/slush pile at a significant publisher, and doing so without an agent, was an accomplishment in itself. That's what I told myself anyway.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 27, 2014, 09:33:08 PM
Have you read The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker?  The premise is truly original, and it's a well crafted story.  I had a couple of quibbles, but got over it. 

Like your Camazotz Virus!  At the party I went to Saturday, a friend of mine came as an infected doctor and gave everyone Ebola by handing out colored pipe cleaners he'd painstakingly twisted into the virus shape.  It was great!

Feel free to copy and spread that virus over and over and over.

I will check out the story by Helene Wecker.

I like the pipe cleaner party favors. I would have probably made the immature choice and gone for the gross out: handing out wet spaghetti noodles preserved with plasticine, effectively ruining the party.

I wonder if he got the idea to use pipe cleaners after reading MacDonald's The Lonely Silver Rain? heh

This is absolutely the year to steal thirty FedEx Tyvek shipping envelopes and sew them together into a hazmat costume.

(Speaking of costumes, I too am surprised three people recognized your They Live costume. That's very clever putting the OBEY signs on the inside of the lenses. Perfect! )

The wife and I just watched The Mist, which was pretty neat. Was not expecting that ending!!

paladin1991

End of the Century: The Ramones.  Pretty decent .  As a fan, I appreciated the look back and the insight on the relationships of the boys.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 27, 2014, 11:38:05 PM

But still, making it past the first readers/slush pile at a significant publisher, and doing so without an agent, was an accomplishment in itself. That's what I told myself anyway.

Hell, yes!  Have you been published? 

Feel free to copy and spread that virus over and over and over.

Thanks!  Nobody's ever invited me to spread a virus, so I'm looking forward to that!

I like the pipe cleaner party favors. I would have probably made the immature choice and gone for the gross out: handing out wet spaghetti noodles preserved with plasticine, effectively ruining the party.

I wonder if he got the idea to use pipe cleaners after reading MacDonald's The Lonely Silver Rain? heh

I haven't read that one yet, so no spoilers, please!  I have four McGees left, and I'm trying to save them because once they're gone, they're gone.  However, I just started my first McGee-less MacDonald book, One More Sunday, which is about the people running a mega-church in the early eighties.  Very good so far--the man was an exceptional story teller!

(Speaking of costumes, I too am surprised three people recognized your They Live costume. That's very clever putting the OBEY signs on the inside of the lenses. Perfect! )

That was a nice touch and I wish I could take credit for the ingenuity, but it was the GF's idea.  She tends to be the brains around here.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 28, 2014, 10:05:35 AM
I haven't read that one yet, so no spoilers, please!  I have four McGees left, and I'm trying to save them because once they're gone, they're gone. 

No worries of spoiling. It's something shown on the book's cover.

A pipe cleaner cat:

The Red Green Show.  Box fans, duct tape, boat trailer....Hovercraft!!

:) :) :)             Just had to take a break from scary stuff.   8)

albrecht

"Halloween IIIM: Season of the Witch". A pre-Halloween tradition for me. Because:
1) it is the most under appreciated of the franchise (and dared to go beyond just great Micheal Myers slasher theme)
2) as a homage to Moustapha Akkad, producer of some great movies (RIP, killed in Jordan by a murder-suicide-bomber along with his daughter and others)
3) and I like Tom Atkins
4) has a cool soundtrack and a mind-numbing, repetitious "Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween" song going on (key to plot)

"Atkins headlined this Halloween sequel, Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), about a demented Irish toymaker who goes back to the Celtic festival of Samhain, the roots of Halloween. Conal Cochran (Dan O'Herlihy) has produced a line of Silver Shamrock masks, each containing pieces of the Blue Stone, which he has stolen from Stonehenge in the UK. He intends to sacrifice the children of America on Halloween Night. Atkins plays Dr. Daniel 'Dan' Chalis, a surgeon who winds up investigating Cochran and his evil toy factory. The film is produced and scored by John Carpenter and is the only film of the series not to feature the suburban killer Michael Myers. Halloween 3 also stars Nancy Loomis, whom Atkins worked with in The Fog"

ItsOver

You are dead-on about Halloween III.  Evil Dan O' and the Silver Shamrock commercial alone make it worthy.  A good warm-up for Dan O' before he nailed it again with Robocop.  What a delightfully evil, sinister bastard.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: ItsOver on October 30, 2014, 04:07:10 PM
You are dead-on for Halloween III.  Evil Dan O' and the Silver Shamrock commercial alone make it worthy.  A good warm-up for Dan O' before he nailed it again with Robocop.  What a delightfully evil, sinister bastard.
"Touch of Evil" on TMC last night.  Welles' acting and influence on cinematography were the good parts.  Everyone else was pretty corny, as were the scene settings.  They'd never get away with a lily white actor (Charleton Heston) in brown face playing a Mexican today.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on October 30, 2014, 04:07:10 PM
You are dead-on about Halloween III.  Evil Dan O' and the Silver Shamrock commercial alone make it worthy.  A good warm-up for Dan O' before he nailed it again with Robocop.  What a delightfully evil, sinister bastard.
An underrated classic is H3, I say.

It is scary how some movies, re-watching them, I don't even mean plots (which actually are wrong on much technology because we get far more than they predicted and jet wrong on the other stuff) but the side fare and more little things. Example: the commercials playing the movie's background, the "government alerts" issued over the radios (or other technology) in them. (RoboCop, THEY LIVE, Running Man, etc etc) The other day we got an "emergency alert" that set my tv BLARING volume on UVerse. I ran into the living room to see WTF was going on because "President wants to get you this information" (or something) No information, just banner that end before I could read. But volume went up, Idk, but a whole lot. LOUD throughout the house. Heard later on Drudge and then news that a "mistake" of the new Federal system for breaking communications had a "glitch." But this went far above the old EMS system. It changed channel and pumped up volume so much that I though speakers might break.
http://www.statesman.com/news/business/u-verse-glitch-freezing-channels-with-nonexistent-/nhrBh/
ps: Touch of Evil is a good one. And, it was an odd casting choice for Heston. But in those days they also had Jews play Indians! And called them Indians, as I do, not "native Americans."

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on October 30, 2014, 08:49:36 PM
Django Unchained
Worth it? I hear Franco Nero had a cameo? (I mean "worth it" for watching versus watching other stuff or the old ones. Obviously, it aint in theater now.)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 30, 2014, 04:19:17 PM
They'd never get away with a lily white actor (Charleton Heston) in brown face playing a Mexican today.

Rod Steiger in 1971's "Duck You Sucker"(aka Fist Full of Dyamite) came pretty close. Hilarious bravura performance.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 30, 2014, 04:19:17 PM
They'd never get away with a lily white actor (Charleton Heston) in brown face playing a Mexican today.

Johnny Depp as Tonto is proof Hollywood never learns from past mistakes.

It's Corinthian leather all the way, in all directions, forever.

my all time top Hollywood "WTF were we thinking" moment:

Duke Wayne as Genghis Khan in...

aldousburbank

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 30, 2014, 10:50:15 PM

No fucking way. Fail on so many levels.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 30, 2014, 10:50:15 PM

That looks suspiciously like Kid Rock playing John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.

b_dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 30, 2014, 09:16:24 PM
Worth it? I hear Franco Nero had a cameo? (I mean "worth it" for watching versus watching other stuff or the old ones. Obviously, it aint in theater now.)
It was excellent