• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

zeebo

BobGrau

Had my once-a-decade viewing of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yesterday... I kept thinking "My God, he's smoking indoors!"

Behind the Candleabra 

The story was self-serving, I suppose, but the acting by Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Rob Lowe, Dan Ackroyd, Debbie Reynolds and Scott Bakula was really well done. Props to the makeup and hair people. I didn't recognize Debbie Reynolds, her transformation was that good, while everyone else really did resemble the people they were playing, especially Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

albrecht

"Seems Like Old Times", again. Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, Charles Grodin and many good character actors. Neil Simon script. What is not to like. Hilarious movie and never gets old.

coaster

I just finished "Edge of Tomorrow". A scifi flick with Tom Cruise. Never would have thought I'd enjoy something like that, but it was pretty good.

b_dubb

Quote from: coaster on July 20, 2014, 11:00:54 PM
I just finished "Edge of Tomorrow". A scifi flick with Tom Cruise. Never would have thought I'd enjoy something like that, but it was pretty good.
I think the appeal was mostly that Tom Tom really takes a serious beating that movie

George Drooly

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 17, 2014, 10:46:35 AM
Is this based on a Jorge Luis Borges story?

Just reading some more about this movie:
"Controversy

In addition to the film's atmosphere of sordid realism, the kangaroo hunting scene contains graphic footage of kangaroos actually being shot. A disclaimer at the conclusion of the movie states:

Producers' Note.

The hunting scenes depicted in this film were taken during an actual kangaroo hunt by professional licensed hunters.
    For this reason and because the survival of the Australian kangaroo is seriously threatened, these scenes were shown uncut after consultation with the leading animal welfare organisations in Australia and the United Kingdom.[18]

The hunt lasted several hours, and gradually wore down the filmmakers. According to cinematographer Brian West, "the hunters were getting really drunk and they started to miss, ... It was becoming this orgy of killing and we [the crew] were getting sick of it." Kangaroos hopped about helplessly with gun wounds and trailing intestines. Producer George Willoughby reportedly fainted after seeing a kangaroo "splattered in a particularly spectacular fashion". The crew orchestrated a power failure in order to end the hunt.[19]

At the 2009 Cannes Classic screening of Wake in Fright, 12 people walked out during the kangaroo hunt.[20]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_in_Fright

Love Borges but never would have thought to utter his name in conjunction with this film... why do you ask?

The kangaroo killing scene reminded me a bit of the rabbit hunt in Rules of the Game.

George Drooly

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 17, 2014, 03:53:18 PM
You could say the same for Bladerunner.

Bladerunner is a horrible reduction and bastardization of the source novel. Totally misses the point(s) Dick was trying to make. Ridley Scott has never made a good film in his life, because he's dumb as a rock, whatever his other talents might be.

George Drooly

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 17, 2014, 11:37:48 AM
Anytime  I have to read the wiki entry to find out what the writer and director were aiming for, I know the movie failed in some way. I did find the beginning sequence with the Engineer and the water visually stunning and that alone could have led to a profound film, but the film suffered from trying to tack this mythology on to the Alien mythos and failed. I really didn't understand a lot after that scene, particularly who those Engineers were and what they were about and why. It really could have been so much better as a stand alone with an independent plotline. The Engineers were pretty awesome, though.

All Prometheus was about was Scott pilfering old scrips by the great Dan O'Bannon, who in turn was just pilfering Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and Bava's Planet of the Vampires..

Quote from: George Drooly on July 21, 2014, 03:24:51 AM
Ridley Scott has never made a good film in his life, because he's dumb as a rock, whatever his other talents might be.
Quote from: George Drooly on July 21, 2014, 03:27:08 AM
All Prometheus was about was Scott pilfering old scrips by the great Dan O'Bannon

I liked Alien, and I just found out Alien was written by Dan O'Bannon (because of above posts).

Quote from: George Drooly on July 21, 2014, 03:21:43 AM
Love Borges but never would have thought to utter his name in conjunction with this film... why do you ask?
It just seems like something he would write. Blurred realities, mankind as a predator vs prey relationship, stories where the end comes back to the starting point.

Quote from: BobGrau on July 20, 2014, 01:18:43 AM
Had my once-a-decade viewing of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yesterday... I kept thinking "My God, he's smoking indoors!"

I haven't seen that since it was in the theaters.  That would have been such an easy book to thoroughly botch, but I think Terry Gilliam did a great job with it,   and Johnny Depp was the perfect Thompson.

I miss being able to smoke indoors, because I don't like breathing all that second-hand engine exhaust when I have to do it outside.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 20, 2014, 02:34:46 AM
Behind the Candleabra 

The story was self-serving, I suppose, but the acting by Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Rob Lowe, Dan Ackroyd, Debbie Reynolds and Scott Bakula was really well done. Props to the makeup and hair people. I didn't recognize Debbie Reynolds, her transformation was that good, while everyone else really did resemble the people they were playing, especially Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

I loved it and watched it twice. As you said, the makeup was incredible. As expected with anything to do with Liberace, it was over-the-top and quite a spectacle.

albrecht

Cockfighter (1974): Warren Oates, Harry Dean Stanton, Richard B. Shull
Dir: Monte Hellman
I don't know why but I like this movie and haven't seen in awhile so figured to give it another watch. I seem to watch it every few years along with "Bring Me the Head...) What can you say? Warren Oates and HDS always are so good, great in this film. And they are some of my favorite actors. It is, like a few other movies, controversial due to the animal "stunts." But the cockfights are not the real subject of the film and one will likely see worse violence, sadly, on your nightly news broadcast considering all the wars (or going to a chicken slaughterhouse.) But I'm not talking about the politics or ethics of cockfighting because the movie is about more than those scenes.

Allegedly, according to IMDB, while trying to come up with an ad campaign to this seemingly unmarketable film, American International's advertising committee came up with this humorous fake tagline:
"He came into town with his cock in hand, and what he did with it was illegal in 49 states."

Cockfighter trailer (1974) starring Warren Oates

Kelt

Has anyone seen The Perfect Host with David Hyde-Pierce?

That's one unusual movie.

Quote from: Kelt on July 22, 2014, 04:40:28 PM

Yessssss....

Unusual is an Understatement.   I couldn't look away. 
Now I feel creepy again...      Thanks.     ;)

Tarbaby

Oh my God, already bellGab has tarnished Albrecht! ;-)

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Kelt on July 22, 2014, 04:40:28 PM

Yes.  Loved it.

Kelt

If you liked The Perfect Host you might also like Ravenous.

Those are two movies I've finished watching and thought, "I've never seen anything quite like that before."... and in a good way.

http://youtu.be/JO98NMMgp0Y

phrodo

Tonight was The Big Lebowski and Miller's Crossing ... damn fine Coen Bros classics. Last night was No Country for Old Men -- been kinda in a Coen Bros mood lately.

onan

Quote from: phrodo on July 24, 2014, 03:12:36 AM
Tonight was The Big Lebowski and Miller's Crossing ... damn fine Coen Bros classics. Last night was No Country for Old Men -- been kinda in a Coen Bros mood lately.

Might I suggest A Serious Man, Blood Simple, and The man who wasn't there?

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on July 23, 2014, 07:12:38 PM

An Adventure in Space and Time: The Trailer - Doctor Who 50th Anniversary - BBC Two

This is a must see for all Whovians. Another bio where props go to the actors for transforming themselves with the aid of makeup and hair. Good story about the beginnings of Doctor Who in time for the 50th. My favorite part is the cameo where One looks forward to Eleven. Just really nicely done.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 22, 2014, 11:39:24 AM
I loved it and watched it twice. As you said, the makeup was incredible. As expected with anything to do with Liberace, it was over-the-top and quite a spectacle.

I liked it a lot too because it was a goodnatured film. It wasn't out to revile Liberace or Scott Thornton, while it detailed the over-the-top lifestyle Liberace lead in a sort of affectionate way, if that doesn't sound strange. Michael Douglas was amazing.

America: Imagine the World Without Her

Dinesh D`Souza smacks a frozen rope line-drive right over the centerfield wall. Beautiful film! EVERYONE should see this.

Zoo

Pandora's Promise it is a Documentary about Nuclear Power and I us to be against it in the biggest way until I saw this. Now it changed my mind. It might change yours and it can be seen for free below!!1

http://youtu.be/F0esvuLeRFI

A Lonely Cow Weeps at Dawn.

The first pr0n movie I've watched where I fast-forwarded through the sex scenes to get to the plot.

George Drooly

http://youtu.be/eEA1ekCU8qg

QuoteOriginally titled The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, this film was not released until almost 5 years after it's creation. It was later released under a similar name to the earlier Wes Craven film to cash in on the hype. With a budget of between $2000-3000, almost all of which was spent on drugs, this film was one of the earliest examples of a pseudo-snuff film, preceding the more famous Cannibal Holocaust by almost 8 years. The film proved so elusive that no one even knew the real name of the film's director until 2000!
It follows a convict who after being released from prison decides to make some snuff films. Many extremely violent and gory murders ensue.

Tarbaby

Watched "Rachel and the stranger",  1948. Robert Mitchum, William Holden, Loretta Young. Pretty hokey I guess. Wholesome. But salad.  I've always thought Loretta Young was one of the most beautiful movie stars. And a damn good actress.

Out west  - Man's wife dies and he hires a woman to help raise his son. No spoilers. But I did notice on IMDb everyone loves it.