• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 03, 2014, 12:43:31 PM
Been catching up on 'Revolution' TV series.  What is about Charlie that I find so intriguing?  Is it here eyes or her lethality.  Reminds me of High school and being a gaming geek, "I''d roll the dice with her and come up with...."

She is strong, bright and fierce -- what's not to like?  I hope you roll a 19...  No, no, no, no... 19.

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 03, 2014, 12:43:31 PM
Been catching up on 'Revolution' TV series.  What is about Charlie that I find so intriguing?  Is it here eyes or her lethality.  Reminds me of High school and being a gaming geek, "I''d roll the dice with her and come up with...."

....and find two back ups just in case... remember gamers do it 3 to 1
8)

Tarbaby

Just watched:
Cat-women of the Moon (1953)

So stupid, so campy, so flawed it's… hilarious. I think I found it on Archive.Org (free) Public Domain. We could actually have an entire thread to discuss the hundreds of plot gaffs. If only I knew what a "gaff" was. :)

paladin1991

Noory is the ultimate gaff.  But I digress fm the thread.

Tarbaby

Onan, Nicely said. I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers- to respond to part of your post I want to try to assure you that I don't select words just to appear to reach for credibility, I use the words that seem to best describe what I'm thinking. And we are somewhat speaking to cross purposes here in that I don't think one can intellectually argue the existence of God, but what I was trying to say was the exercise is still very beneficial. For instance, we learn how to articulate and define our thoughts and ideas.

I also asserted that I thought there  was  evidence for something more to evolution than random mutation. But that might not rise to the level of an anthropomorphic God. And this is exactly why I brought up epistemology and ontology, for a reason not just for fluff.   Before we can argue the existence of something we must first define it.

Quote from: Tarbaby on April 09, 2014, 06:22:43 PM
Onan, Nicely said. I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers- to respond to part of your post I want to try to assure you that I don't select words just to appear to reach for credibility, I use the words that seem to best describe what I'm thinking. And we are somewhat speaking to cross purposes here in that I don't think one can intellectually argue the existence of God, but what I was trying to say was the exercise is still very beneficial. For instance, we learn how to articulate and define our thoughts and ideas.

I also asserted that I thought there  was  evidence for something more to evolution than random mutation. But that might not rise to the level of an anthropomorphic God. And this is exactly why I brought up epistemology and ontology, for a reason not just for fluff.   Before we can argue the existence of something we must first define it.

.... in the past i often had channels change in the middle of a program with out command...  i always felt a bit lost for a few moments.... kinda like now....  ;D

onan

Quote from: Tarbaby on April 09, 2014, 06:22:43 PM

I have no doubt that you are honest in your position.

My complaint is really about the similarity in studying religion and attending Hogwarts (sp). From an historical position I am interested in the beliefs of people. To extend that study to finding a true god... I would just as soon find some eye of newt and dragon's teeth.

Going to watch this tomorrow night I saw it years ago.. wonder if it still stands up

The trailer is somewhat misleading

Rollover (1981) - Theatrical Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083006/

b_dubb

Iron Sky: The Director's Cut ... well worth watching

Today's Special (2009),  formulaic but charming story about an haute cuisine Indian chef and his father's restaurant in Queens. For once, the exteriors were spot on, absolutely shot in and around the area.

Little Hater

Just watched The World's Fastest Indian. Well worth the two hours, even if you aren't interested in motorcycles. Anthony Hopkins is great.

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on April 16, 2014, 10:12:35 PM
enjoyed this movie

The Machine Theatrical TRAILER (2014) - Sci-Fi Thriller HD

I saw the teaser trailer months and months ago... glad it lived up to the promise... I hope the feature length version of this will also be as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyQmecxub4

Tarbaby

Just watched "Laura", 1944. With Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Vincent Price and others. TCM gives it four stars. I did like it. Good whodunit. IMDb Users rate it 8.2 out of 10.

albrecht

Quote from: Tarbaby on April 20, 2014, 04:38:10 PM
Just watched "Laura", 1944. With Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Vincent Price and others. TCM gives it four stars. I did like it. Good whodunit. IMDb Users rate it 8.2 out of 10.
Saw that on TCM the other night. A good one indeed. Watched "The Bad Seed" again last night. Excellent, but creepy film. And such an odd ending (of sorts) and then the odd credits that are reminiscence of a play with each person coming out and announcing their name and character played. And then the spanking end. Funny after such a creepy movie.  Going to watch "Lured" tonight I think (George Sanders, Boris Karloff, Charles Coburn- and Lucille Ball! Seems like very promising movie.)

b_dubb

I believe that is an early Otto Preminger movie.  Film scholars credit that with beginning of the 'noir'.  Or not.  I may be confusing films and film knowledge.  Haven't really had my head in that world in a while.

Superb film score, too.

Quote from: albrecht on April 20, 2014, 04:54:32 PM
Saw that on TCM the other night. A good one indeed. Watched "The Bad Seed" again last night. Excellent, but creepy film. And such an odd ending (of sorts) and then the odd credits that are reminiscence of a play with each person coming out and announcing their name and character played. And then the spanking end. Funny after such a creepy movie.  Going to watch "Lured" tonight I think (George Sanders, Boris Karloff, Charles Coburn- and Lucille Ball! Seems like very promising movie.)

The ending of The Bad Seed was changed from the book and play to comply with the Hays code, and so there's that moment of divine retribution on the pier. But in the original, the mother gives her an overdose, shoots herself and dies, the daughter presumably going on to commit more murders.

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on April 20, 2014, 07:26:36 PM
The ending of The Bad Seed was changed from the book and play to comply with the Hays code, and so there's that moment of divine retribution on the pier. But in the original, the mother gives her an overdose, shoots herself and dies, the daughter presumably going on to commit more murders.
Thanks for that. Ive seen before but so long ago, I guess. Or seeing so many decades after see in new light. But I always thought the end (of movie) was weird, esp now. (Maybe I never saw whole movie back then?) I thought thr ending was made almost post-hoc, because your (I mean u mention the original play\book) makes more sense to the movie. Tho movie is still good. Also interesting about Hays, didnt realise all the way to 68. I do wonder tho if the 'code' made movies better, in a way? At least some. Of course other elements n contractual arrangements with actors etc. But I still say there is some more intrique, beauty, corruption, suspense, n even sex appeal in many of evem bad production movies of that era than now.

RcCle

demon seed (1977).

Julie Christie will NEVER get that SmartHome plan from Time Warner!!

Tarbaby

D_dubb, interesting!

Watched "play it again, Sam", Woody Allen, Diane Keaton. 1972  I think it was the first Woody Allen-Diane Keaton vehicle. It was pretty good but getting a little dated and cliched at this point. It was a bit unsettling when you consider the themes of that movie and Allen's later life exploits. It was as if the movie was a sublimation of Allen's inner hormonal urges.

b_dubb

Quote from: b_dubb on April 20, 2014, 07:50:50 PM
Orphan Black.  This actress is phenomenal.
There's a detective on this show named Arthur Bell.  There are no coincidences.

coaster

The last movie I watched was "Joe". For a Nic Cage movie, it was pretty good. He needs to do more roles like these to fix his credibility as an actor.

b_dubb

Quote from: coaster on April 21, 2014, 06:26:30 PM
The last movie I watched was "Joe". For a Nic Cage movie, it was pretty good. He needs to do more roles like these to fix his credibility as an actor.
"Joe" was a damn good book.  Larry Brown was a fine writer and it was a shame he died so young.  That book reminded me of "As I Lay Dying".  Definitely had a similar narrative voice. 

Haven't seen it yet, but Joss Whedon's new In Your Eyes looks pretty interesting!