• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

trostol

Quote from: Taaroa on April 25, 2017, 11:26:20 PM
I'd probably say Wes Anderson would be most overrated.

Honourable mentions: Baz Luhrmann, George Miller, JJ Abrams, Joss Whedon.

hmmm..Wes is tough..cause i have enjoyed several of his films..Baz might be too artistic really..JJ and Joss are like one in the same person it seems...which leads to..I am pretty much tired of the superhero flicks and tv shows and all that..between MArvel and DC they have pretty much oversaturated the market

comaphobe

I too am not a Tarantino fan. I do like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown and think they are both excellent, but outside of those I find his movies boring and hard to sit through. I think he had production credits for True Romance and Killing Zoe, both of those were really fun.

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 25, 2017, 09:33:00 PM
One of my favorite 'westerns' was the original Westworld.  Yul Brynner was absolutely great in the roll of the cold, calculating, gun-slinging robot.

"Sloppy with your drink..... Get this boy a bib."

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 25, 2017, 09:33:00 PM
One of my favorite 'westerns' was the original Westworld.  Yul Brynner was absolutely great in the roll of the cold, calculating, gun-slinging robot.

Loved Westworld. 

I just watched My Darling Clementine (1946) again.   Bad history but a wonderful film.  I was struck by the lack of soundtrack music in the film which was a major +.  Sometimes in 40's and 50's films, there is way too much music.  I thought Victor Mature gave a very good performance as Doc Holliday.  The death of Doc and the two Earp brothers in this movie elevates this film to a tragedy whereas if it stuck to the truth, that element would have been lost.  I also thought Walter Brennan was great as old man Clanton.  I've wondered in the past if Ford really thought this was the true story as he alleged Wyatt Earp told him how things went down at the OK Corral.  I've come to the decision that it really doesn't matter.  If you want history, read a book or watch a documentary. 4.5 stars.

zeebo

Quote from: comaphobe on April 26, 2017, 03:42:35 AM
I too am not a Tarantino fan. I do like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown and think they are both excellent, but outside of those I find his movies boring and hard to sit through. I think he had production credits for True Romance and Killing Zoe, both of those were really fun.

Reservoir Dogs was my fave - Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel, and Steve Buscemi were all great in that one.  The dialogue in that flick is classic.  Also loved True Romance (written but not directed by QT), and, well let's just say, half of Pulp Fiction.  Since then I kinda lost interest.  Although I also thought From Dusk Till Dawn was a kick, which he co-wrote w/ R. Rodriguez.  Speaking of the latter, I also liked Desperado.

akwilly

I watched the first season of scream queens. It was freakin great! Smoking hot girls and it is funny as heck. If you watch it keep your eyes on Abigail bresslin. Somewhere between the final 3 episodes she gained like 50 lbs. I was like dang man she got fat fast. So fast that I googled her to see if she was pregnant. She was not but holy crap she is the only woman I can think of that actually got hotter by getting big. Princess leia's daughter is also in it along with eric Roberts daughter.

I just watched Frontier Marshal, the 1939 version of the Gunfight At the OK Corral.  This plays even a bit looser with the facts than My Darling Clementine.  Here, Doc Halliday (Cesar Romero) as he is called in the movie, dies before the gunfight and Wyatt takes the whole gang out himself at the OK Corral.  Here, the gang are not the Clantons but some rival saloon operators. Ward Bond was also in this playing a marshal that gets fired.  Randolph Scott is as always a great screen presence as Earp.  Lon Chaney has a nice early role as one of the gang and Halliday forces him to dance a jig which is pretty funny.  Eddie Foy Jr. plays his father who may have been in Tombstone that fateful day.  Nancy Kelley stars plays Halliday's love interest, Sarah, who knew him as a doctor back East and wants to get with Doc again. Also stars John Carradine as the lead heavy and Binnie Barnes as Doc's other love interest. As in Clementine, they get the year of the Gunfight wrong.  In MDC, it was 1882 and here it was 1880.  Of course, the real thing happened in 1881.   

There is one howlingly bad line in this film.  I can't remember it word for word but the gist of it is that Sarah says at one point in the film that Doc, slowly dying from tb, will not die because she will love and care for him.  Ouch.  Sarah is in for a rude awakening!  Still, clocking in at 71 minutes, it was a pretty good oater and there were no dull stretches. 3.5 stars.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 27, 2017, 12:17:52 AM
I just watched Frontier Marshal, the 1939 version of the Gunfight At the OK Corral.  This plays even a bit looser with the facts than My Darling Clementine.  Here, Doc Halliday (Cesar Romero) as he is called in the movie, dies before the gunfight and Wyatt takes the whole gang out himself at the OK Corral.  Here, the gang are not the Clantons but some rival saloon operators. Ward Bond was also in this playing a marshal that gets fired.  Randolph Scott is as always a great screen presence as Earp.  Lon Chaney has a nice early role as one of the gang and Halliday forces him to dance a jig which is pretty funny.  Eddie Foy Jr. plays his father who may have been in Tombstone that fateful day.  Nancy Kelley stars plays Halliday's love interest, Sarah, who knew him as a doctor back East and wants to get with Doc again. Also stars John Carradine as the lead heavy and Binnie Barnes as Doc's other love interest. As in Clementine, they get the year of the Gunfight wrong.  In MDC, it was 1882 and here it was 1880.  Of course, the real thing happened in 1881.   

There is one howlingly bad line in this film.  I can't remember it word for word but the gist of it is that Sarah says at one point in the film that Doc, slowly dying from tb, will not die because she will love and care for him.  Ouch.  Sarah is in for a rude awakening!  Still, clocking in at 71 minutes, it was a pretty good oater and there were no dull stretches. 3.5 stars.

Seems like you're on a OK Corral movie kick. Which one was the best in your opinion?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 27, 2017, 12:20:15 AM
Seems like you're on a OK Corral movie kick. Which one was the best in your opinion?

Yeah, I just finished a book about Wyatt Earp and more specifically Dodge City.  The Tombstone shootout is covered in the book too.

As for your question, that is a difficult question to answer.  None of the ones I've seen are bad films.  Most are good films. However, none have been accurate either.  I'm getting ready to sit down and watch the Lancaster/Douglas version and it has been a while since I saw that one.  A lot of people praise Hour of the Gun with James Garner as being the most accurate but as a film, it is frankly a tad dull.  Others praise Tombstone because it is the most recent and plays to modern sensibilities better.  I happen to like it a lot too.  My sentimental favorites are Gunfight At The OK Corral with the great Frankie Lane song and My Darling Clementine.  Of the two, MDC is the work of art.  Tombstone is great too though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HjPfecJiw

zeebo

Yor, Hunter from the Future (1983) on ThisTV.  Suspect they hired half-starved commune-dwellers from somewhere near the Sierra mtn. foothills.  Yor himself looks like a down-on-his luck Dana Carvey with his Garth hair and a loin cloth.

I decided to take a break from the OK Corral and watched Paid (1930), an early Joan Crawford vehicle.  I'm glad I didn't pay to see this movie.  There's a lot of written reviews on IMDB, well 15 anyway, lol, extolling how great Joan Crawford was in this.  I'm not one of them.  She was waaaayyyyy too melodramatic and the screenplay had me rolling my eyes from the first line of the film.  I generally love pre-code films and while this had some moments mainly dealing with Marie Prevost who was the best thing in this movie, this was hard to take.  Just far too contrived and the finale was way too drawn-out and talky.  I'll highlight a few ridiculous moments.

*  Crawford, as she is being sentenced to jail talks emotionally for like 2 minutes in the courtroom when she is being sentenced by the judge.  She angrily addresses her accuser and the judge does nothing during all this.

*  After prison, she hatches a plot to legally extort money from rich gentlemen.

*  She gets a restraining order against the police.

You get the idea.  It was just ridiculous and she emoted far too much during some scenes.  I have a high tolerance for this sort of thing but this film drove me crazy.  I'm finding that a lot of early sound MGM films are not so hot.  Warners did this sort of thing much better at the time. 2.25 stars and I may be being kind.  If you're a Crawford fan, by all means give it a watch.  If you are not, then I'd skip this one though again Marie Prevost is quite good  She died of alcohol poisoning at age 38 in 1937. 

smccomas69

Just finished the first season of Travelers on Netflix, I recommend

trostol

just thought of another..i guess remake..reimagining what ever that personal am entertained by but a lot of peopel absolutely hate..Lone Ranger...

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on April 28, 2017, 04:15:10 PM
just thought of another..i guess remake..reimagining what ever that personal am entertained by but a lot of peopel absolutely hate..Lone Ranger...

This would make a good thread topic actually.  "Remakes you don't hate" lol.  I have one - Totall Recall.  I think it flopped but I thought it was kinda cool.  Some great action sequences and Kate Beckinsale was really good.  Plus it has Jessica Biel, which is always a bonus imho. 

Quote from: trostol on April 28, 2017, 04:15:10 PM

I'm sorry.  I grew up watching old reruns of the Lone Ranger and there can be only one.  Clayton Moore.  I found an old episode with DeForest Kelley in it.  From 1949.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_FLrrrqd1E

TigerLily

Finally, finally, finally saw "Logan". So excellent  :'( . And how amazing was that little gurrl?

Quote from: TigerLily on April 28, 2017, 06:40:13 PM
Finally, finally, finally saw "Logan". So excellent  :'( . And how amazing was that little gurrl?

It was great but I left depressed.  I hated the deaths that occurred.  I won't name names as it is still a new film but you know what I mean.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 28, 2017, 06:45:34 PM
It was great but I left depressed.  I hated the deaths that occurred.  I won't name names as it is still a new film but you know what I mean.

Hence my teary emoticon. The entire film was somewhat sad. But I wouldn't say I left depressed and certainly can't say it was uplifting. So deep and complex but a satisfying philosophical ending.  Words one wouldn't necessarily expect for a Marvel "comic book" movie.

Now on to the new Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy movies   8)

Quote from: TigerLily on April 28, 2017, 07:12:11 PM
Hence my teary emoticon. The entire film was somewhat sad. But I wouldn't say I left depressed and certainly can't say it was uplifting. So deep and complex but a satisfying philosophical ending.  Words one wouldn't necessarily expect for a Marvel "comic book" movie.

Yeah.  I hear the new GotG movie opens with ELO's Mr. Blue Sky.  My band has been getting a lot of love from moviemakers the last few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOMIH7cgh0

trostol

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 28, 2017, 05:34:47 PM
I'm sorry.  I grew up watching old reruns of the Lone Ranger and there can be only one.  Clayton Moore.  I found an old episode with DeForest Kelley in it.  From 1949.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_FLrrrqd1E

yeah i hear thats a huge problem a lot of people had with it...again..i liked it for what it was..a an entertaining flick..lil bit of action..lil drama...and some humor..i have found more and more i prefer humor over anything else..which is why GotG and Ant-man are my 2 fave MCU films

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on April 28, 2017, 08:26:41 PM
yeah i hear thats a huge problem a lot of people had with it...again..i liked it for what it was..a an entertaining flick..lil bit of action..lil drama...and some humor..i have found more and more i prefer humor over anything else..which is why GotG and Ant-man are my 2 fave MCU films

Deadpool was good that way too.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2017, 08:29:19 PM
Deadpool was good that way too.

yeah Deadpool was another good one..i guess i just cant do the whole straight action or straight dramas anymore

coaster

Support Your Local Sheriff is on the western channel right now. It's a fun movie. Bruce Dern is a hoot in it.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on April 29, 2017, 01:16:28 PM
Support Your Local Sheriff is on the western channel right now. It's a fun movie. Bruce Dern is a hoot in it.

I have hated Bruce Dern ever since he killed John Wayne.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 29, 2017, 01:26:21 PM
I have hated Bruce Dern ever since he killed John Wayne.

Are you talking about The Cowboys?  That was a great flick but it really pissed me off when Duke was killed. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 29, 2017, 01:30:36 PM
Are you talking about The Cowboys?  That was a great flick but it really pissed me off when Duke was killed.

Yep. I was 16 when I saw that and I still hold it against Dern.

trostol

Quote from: coaster on April 29, 2017, 01:16:28 PM

do not think i have seen that one...i have seen Support Your Local Gunfighter...

coaster

Quote from: trostol on April 29, 2017, 04:38:40 PM
do not think i have seen that one...i have seen Support Your Local Gunfighter...
I think that's a sequel to Sheriff.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: TigerLily on April 28, 2017, 07:12:11 PM

I just watched Deadpool this weekend on DVD. Everybody sold me on it, I had to see it eventually. I was so late to the party.

Not Movie but TV, my favorite TV show concluded it's 5 season run. Bates Motel was so fantastic, really did a great job for the backstory of Psycho with a bit of a twist. Sad to see it conclude but at least they got the full run they wanted to tell the story.

the_Stranger

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 24, 2017, 03:44:18 PM
The Wild Geese - 1978 -  Lively flick with Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Roger Moore and Hardy Kruger leading a force of aging mercenaries trying to rescue central African opposition leader Julius Limbani (Winston Ntshona) from a dictator's prison. Nice screenplay from Reginald Rose (12 Angry Men, Man of The West) keeps the action flowing.  Andrew V. McLaglen capably directs and really does a nice job on this film, maybe his best.  This movie is The Expendables of its day but with more brains and a heart.  I was very pleasantly surprised by this film.  All of the leads perform extremely well together with a spirit of camaraderie.   The supporting cast is also excellent with Stewart Granger, Jack Watson, Kenneth Griffith and Ronald Fraser among the familiar faces.  Great popcorn flick.  4 stars.
Great cast in this film and a Joan Armatrading theme song, to boot.
The DVD has lots of great extras featurettes and goodies.
The story was not the greatest, but the flick is fun which makes up for the shortcomings.