• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Taaroa

Saw Lady Snowblood and Lady Snowblood 2: Love Song of Vengeance this evening. First one had some nice cinematography at times, but the story and pacing was a bit convoluted. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting, but enjoyable enough. The main actress sings the opening and closing song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwqZpV3K1c

Second one had a similar pacing and story structure as a more traditional samurai film, and you could tell it had a bigger budget (with that said, the first movie was more stylish). Also enjoyable, but probably not as good as the original.

For both of them, it might help a bit if you know some Japanese history from the era between the Meiji restoration and WW2.

The Explosive Generation from 1961 on The Works network. I've seen it before, and it's not half bad. Shatner is actually very good as a hip high school teacher who relates to the kids, who dig him in return, but ultimately runs afoul of the square parents and school board who disapprove of his newfangled methods. Drama and some hilarity ensue.

Shatner is actually uncharacteristically restrained in this, and it may be the only movie he made without leaving teeth marks in the scenery.

It also features Beau Bridges and Edward "Chief" Platt in supporting roles.

Bette Davis on an ancient Dick Cavett 1971 rerun.

Charisma and X-factor coalesced about her like a pleasant fog.

Many of today's overpaid actors/musicians are vapid no talent idiots.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 24, 2017, 03:03:52 PM

Many of today's overpaid actors/musicians are vapid no talent idiots.

That's a bit harsh. Many of the underpaid ones are, too.

SredniVashtar

Has any straight man voluntarily seen La La Land? Every time I see the still of those two idiots waving their arms about I feel my testicles shrivel. Fey nonsense like this is why your country is mincing towards irrelevance. There should be some sort of ordinance to prevent this kind of Oscar bait cropping up every bloody year. We know they will all be forgotten in a few months anyway, and it's all just a bit of nonsense for the media to cluck about to fill some time.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 24, 2017, 03:25:46 PM
That's a bit harsh. Many of the underpaid ones are, too.

My elitism exposed - like the rotting rust hiding under the fender of a 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 24, 2017, 03:41:53 PM
Has any straight man voluntarily seen La La Land? Every time I see the still of those two idiots waving their arms about I feel my testicles shrivel. Fey nonsense like this is why your country is mincing towards irrelevance. There should be some sort of ordinance to prevent this kind of Oscar bait cropping up every bloody year. We know they will all be forgotten in a few months anyway, and it's all just a bit of nonsense for the media to cluck about to fill some time.

;D ;D ;D

I concur completely with these sentiments.  La La Land is clearly not meant for straight males.  I gag every time I see a commercial for it. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 24, 2017, 04:38:34 PM
;D ;D ;D

I concur completely with these sentiments.  La La Land is clearly not meant for straight males.  I gag every time I see a commercial for it.

Did you watch Arrival?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 25, 2017, 01:00:46 AM
Did you watch Arrival?

No I haven't mainly because the wife doesn't want to see it.  I tried to get her to see it a couple of times but she balked at the very thought of it.  I like Renner and Adams though so I do plan on seeing it at some point.  I forgot that it was nominated.  I doubt it will win because the Academy tends to look down on science fiction films.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 25, 2017, 01:05:59 AM
No I haven't mainly because the wife doesn't want to see it.  I tried to get her to see it a couple of times but she balked at the very thought of it.  I like Renner and Adams though so I do plan on seeing it at some point.  I forgot that it was nominated.  I doubt it will win because the Academy tends to look down on science fiction films.

It was late and I'll admit I was a little stoned but I found it kind of baffling. I'm sure I'll give it another view sometime but I thought I'd ask people what they got out of it first.

The first two episodes of "Schitt's Creek" on Netflix last night. Thought it was pretty funny if not gut busting hilarious, and will definitely watch the rest.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3526078/

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 25, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
The first two episodes of "Schitt's Creek" on Netflix last night. Thought it was pretty funny if not gut busting hilarious, and will definitely watch the rest.

I've wanted to give it a chance because of Levy but it just looks so typical sitcom schlock to me. Is it really worthy?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 25, 2017, 01:49:05 PM
I've wanted to give it a chance because of Levy but it just looks so typical sitcom schlock to me. Is it really worthy?

It doesn't really break any new ground, and I was expecting a little more from the writing, but Levy and Catherine O'Hara, who is outstanding in everything she does, are as funny as always. Chris Elliot is also good in his usual type of creepy guy role. Give it a try. It's good enough that I'm going to watch more of it.

the_Stranger

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 25, 2017, 01:42:26 PM

One of the few new shows I cannot miss.
Love the show.
The chemistry makes the show, to me.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 25, 2017, 02:08:40 PM
It doesn't really break any new ground, and I was expecting a little more from the writing, but Levy and Catherine O'Hara, who is outstanding in everything she does, are as funny as always. Chris Elliot is also good in his usual type of creepy guy role. Give it a try. It's good enough that I'm going to watch more of it.

Oh, right! I forgot Elliot is in it. I haven't seen him in awhile. I used to love him as the guy under the stairs and his myriad of other kooky characters he played on Letterman. I'll give it a chance.

Ciardelo

Currently on Netflix. Great little stupid comedy for the afternoon. Not for the kiddos though, it's definitely a hard (R) rating.

ItsOver

Currently watching "The Wild, Wild West."  Not the God-awful movie with Will "I am the Poser Last Man on Earth" Smith but the classic TV series.  I haven't watched it since it originally showed but it's now on MeTV, Sat. 6:00 PM EST.  Ross Martin really makes it happen, as Artemus Gordon.  I really enjoyed Martin in "Experiment in Terror."  He played wonderfully off of Lee Remick.  Robert Conrad's OK but he's kind of hammy at times, not quite as bad as William Shatner.  Probably better know for his later role in "Black Sheep Squadron."  I never took much of a fancy to that show, for some reason.

Quote from: ItsOver on February 25, 2017, 05:15:42 PM
Currently watching "The Wild, Wild West."   ...   Probably better know for his later role in "Black Sheep Squadron."  I never took much of a fancy to that show, for some reason.

Remember the original title - Baa Baa Black Sheep?  It recently came up in a disagreement I had with a friend and she thought I was crazy.  Right.  I sit the fuck around all goddamned day and make up nonexistent titles for ancient television series.  She didn't believe me until she looked it up.

These days, Robert reminds me of an economy-sized Angus Scrimm.

I wanted to place Conrad on my Celebrity Death Pool list, but MV said if I exceeded ten he would send me to the cornfield.

But AS I SEE IT, my list "goes up to eleven," anyway, with Robert Conrad being implied now.  My list is composed of celebrities l like, so as not to be construed as a death wish tally.

Those eleven funerals are going to be a bitch.

Quote from: ItsOver on February 25, 2017, 05:15:42 PM
Currently watching "The Wild, Wild West."  Not the God-awful movie with Will "I am the Poser Last Man on Earth" Smith but the classic TV series.  I haven't watched it since it originally showed but it's now on MeTV, Sat. 6:00 PM EST.  Ross Martin really makes it happen, as Artemus Gordon.  I really enjoyed Martin in "Experiment in Terror."  He played wonderfully off of Lee Remick.  Robert Conrad's OK but he's kind of hammy at times, not quite as bad as William Shatner.  Probably better know for his later role in "Black Sheep Squadron."  I never took much of a fancy to that show, for some reason.

Ross Martin was the key to the series success.  A simply wonderful, charismatic actor whose life was cut short at far too young an age.  I remember he had to take breaks from the series due to ongoing heart problems.  Robert Conrad was fine as West but it was Martin who kept me coming back.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 25, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
Remember the original title - Baa Baa Black Sheep?  It recently came up in a disagreement I had with a friend and she thought I was crazy.  Right.  I sit the fuck around all goddamned day and make up nonexistent titles for ancient television series.  She didn't believe me until she looked it up.

These days, Robert reminds me of an economy-sized Angus Scrimm.

I wanted to place Conrad on my Celebrity Death Pool list, but MV said if I exceeded ten he would send me to the cornfield.

But AS I SEE IT, my list "goes up to eleven," anyway, with Robert Conrad being implied now.  My list is composed of celebrities l like, so as not to be construed as a death wish tally.

Those eleven funerals are going to be a bitch.

Wow!  You're not kidding, I knew Conrad was still around but he does look like the caretaker for the local funeral home, these days.  Speaking of Angus, it reminds me of the ultimate chin in Hollywood.

I can almost see deadly silver spheres floating around in the background.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 25, 2017, 05:54:41 PM
Ross Martin was the key to the series success.  A simply wonderful, charismatic actor whose life was cut short at far too young an age.  I remember he had to take breaks from the series due to ongoing heart problems.  Robert Conrad was fine as West but it was Martin who kept me coming back.
Completely concur.  A very good actor.  I'd forgotten this bit of trivia.

"According to co-star Stephanie Powers, Martin himself suggested that his billing in Experiment in Terror be held until the film's end, lest audiences who fondly remembered him as Andamo might not accept him in a villainous role if they knew beforehand it was him."

RIP, Artemus!

Lt.Uhura

Just wasted 2 hours watching the dreary Manchester By The Sea. A slow as molasses film about one man's struggle to recover from a tragedy. Spoiler: He never recovers. There is no resolution. Every actor in the film is dull and lifeless with the exception of the nephew. As an aside, after seeing  Michelle Williams in several films I wondered why she's typically cast in awkward and self-conscious roles. I now think she really is awkward and self-conscious and somehow ended up an actress.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 26, 2017, 04:42:55 PM
Just wasted 2 hours watching the dreary Manchester By The Sea. A slow as molasses film about one man's struggle to recover from a tragedy. Spoiler: He never recovers. There is no resolution. Every actor in the film is dull and lifeless with the exception of the nephew. As an aside, after seeing  Michelle Williams in several films I wondered why she's typically cast in awkward and self-conscious roles. I now think she really is awkward and self-conscious and somehow ended up an actress.

Thanks for the warning!  :D  Last thing I saw Michelle Williams in was the dreary Blue Valentine.  It is not that she's bad, she just picks bad movies.

Up All Night

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 24, 2017, 04:38:34 PM
;D ;D ;D

#OscarsTooGay#OscarsTooBlack :D

Turnabout is Fairplay, No?

I love Hinterland.  I now want to visit Aberystwyth before I see Reykjavik.

I also wish Hell or High Water would win Best Picture Oscar tonight.

albrecht

Quote from: Étouffée on February 26, 2017, 07:07:52 PM
I love Hinterland.  I now want to visit Aberystwyth before I see Reykjavik.

I also wish Hell or High Water would win Best Picture Oscar tonight.
Same (on "Hell or Highwater") I haven't seen Hinterland but Welsh is such a crazy language. The signage etc is bizarre. They hopefully have serious subtitles. Glad the language was saved and thrives though- many languages dying off.

I just checked and apparently Icelandic Air still offers a free multi-day layover in Iceland when you use them to fly to Europe.
https://www.icelandair.us/flights/stopover/?pos=US&lang=en
and have added an optional "buddy" to the deal, which sounds a bit creepy, but could turn out to be a good thiing to have a local guide to things:
http://www.icelandair.us/stopover-buddy/

Rix Gins

I noticed that the People Vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story is playing on Netflix. I didn't attempt to watch it on FX because it was drowning in commercials.  Pretty good so far, I've made it to OJ being placed in a cell after the famous Bronco ride.

It doesn't take very long to find out that the premise of the show are the actions and behind the scenes machinations of all the principal lawyers that were involved in the case.  This is good because you really didn't know too much about them when the actual trial itself was underway, except of course, F. Lee Bailey, everybody knew who he was back then.  John Travolta does a great job playing the rotund, balding Robert Shapiro.  All of the actors and actresses bear a striking resemblance to the original lawyers.  The actress playing Marcia Clark looks just like Marcia.  The Marcia Clark in this production is a hard driving, bossy, chain smoking prosecutor.  See?  I learned something about her that I hadn't known while the trial was happening.  I was pretty sure she was ambitious, most prosecutors are,  but I didn't know that she was a heavy smoker.  She has an Achilles heel in the early goings of the film, that being she is supremely overconfident in gaining a quick double homicide conviction against The Juice.

Speaking of OJ, my only criticism so far has to do with the fact that Cuba Gooding jr. doesn't resemble him very much, nor does the actor possess a semi-baritone voice like OJ has.  You would think that him being an actor and all, he could modulate his voice a little to sound a bit more like OJ. 

Pretty well played drama so far.  All the actors are good, even the ones playing the Kardashion kids.  I'll finish watching the thing, even though I and everyone else in the world knows how it ends. 

Dr. MD MD

Apparently, this year's Academy Award show, aside from being a snowflake filled fiasco, had the lowest ratings they had in 9 years. #morewinning!  ;D

Zetaspeak

Recently watched 2011's Super 8. Wanted to watch it for a while but never got around to it. I thought it was pretty good.

This week I am going to go watch "Get Out". First heard of it on the previews for Spin and it really caught my attention, a mix of horror and uncomfortable laughs seemed like an interesting mix. Seeing that it had an unbelievable 100% Rotten Tomato rating (especially for the genre) it makes it something I really want to see.

It been a great couple of years for horror. I think 2013 first Conjuring really forced everybody to step up their game. Last year we had Conjuring 2 with over 100M domestic/300M Worldwide. Don't Breath was a surprise success with 90M. This year we already have M. Night comeback movie with Split at 130M Dom. This weekend's "Get Out" which was #1  in the boxoffice with 30M. All those movies are at least 75% or over on Rotten Tomato.

There's been a few years that horror genre was being unimaginative. But seems to be putting more interesting stuff out there.