• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your favorite board games. Risk?

Started by ksm32, May 24, 2014, 12:17:24 AM

ksm32

I use to love staying up all night with crazy friends playing Risk. There would always be one guy who would get so angry at the dice (his luck or lack of) that he would be throwing them, cussing, making threats, and one time smashing them with a hammer into little bits. I have always liked Monopoly and of course Chess is not to be beat. Not to mention Battleship ETC.

Operation anyone? Those old games were fun.

Morgus

Risk, Monopoly, Clue, Stratego, Game of Life, Mousetrap

Birdie

Oh, fuck Risk. In college, we stayed up for days playing. Once, I remember transporting the board and corresponding diagram over to one guy's mom's house for safe keeping while we went to class. Don't know why we decided she needed to watch the board, considering the overly detailed diagram. :o Lack of sleep and extreme paranoia, I guess. Never again.
Scattergories is fun.

Jackstar

The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game

"The world of horseracing has long been associated with cheating in all its forms. But few games ever attempt to simulate that aspect. Players are assigned a horse and must move it around the track by rolling a single die. This would be rather boring if the game didn't allow for the players to bet on another player's horse, so the dilemma is whether to move your horse badly just to make it easier for the horse you bet on to win. Even that could be boring, but then each player is issued cards which allow them to commit dirty tricks, for instance making a horse fall or forcing the winner to take a drug test. All in all, it makes for some very interesting racing."

coaster

I find monopoly to be pretty dull. It takes forever. A lot of people dont know the actual rules. Did you know that whenever someone lands on a property, it is to either be bought or auctioned off to the highest bidder? It makes the game go a lot quicker.
I enjoy word or trivia games. Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Scattergories etc etc.

Uncle Duke

I enjoyed the sports board games of the 60s/70s.  My two favorites were Strat-o-Matic Baseball and the Sports Illustrated "Bowl Bound" College Football.  The latter I would still play if I could find someone to play with.  The game allows you to play simulated games between dozens of specific great college football teams by year, for example USC 1967 v. Penn St 1986.  The rights to the game were bought from SI by Avlon Hill Games, they put out at least two additionals set of game cards that covered teams up through the early 90s.

I loved playing with 1970 Northwestern, would/lose games with scores like 77-68. 

albrecht

Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, and Risk. Or play cards instead. Anyone remember the game "Diplomacy"? Favorite of Kennedy and Kissinger etc.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Jackstar on May 24, 2014, 12:25:25 AM
Settlers of Catan

That is a fun one.

Quote from: b_dubb on May 24, 2014, 10:55:26 AM
Cones of Dunshire
;D

Our favorite game is 3 Stones, which is similar to Othello. Pass the Pigs is also fun.
http://www.enginuity.com/

zeebo

Quote from: coaster on May 24, 2014, 12:12:30 PM
...I enjoy word or trivia games. Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Scattergories etc etc.

Yes, and don't forget Boggle.

zeebo

Quote from: Morgus on May 24, 2014, 12:19:01 AM
Risk, Monopoly, Clue, Stratego, Game of Life, Mousetrap

I was a friggin Stratego mad-man back in the day, loved that game.  Another cool one, maybe long-forgotten, was MasterMind.

onan

If you have a group of 8 or more people that are imaginative... Balderdash is the game.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on May 24, 2014, 03:43:49 PM
I was a friggin Stratego mad-man back in the day, loved that game.  Another cool one, maybe long-forgotten, was MasterMind.
Yes! Mastermind is an excellent game. Recall the commercials? Actually is still around and I gave one for Christmas to a kid last year. And he loved it. Also gave Stratego but it was some weird new version with things like wizards and ice monsters instead of troops. Not as fun and odd rules. More like a mix of a fantasy card game and Stratego.

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on May 24, 2014, 03:47:55 PM
If you have a group of 8 or more people that are imaginative... Balderdash is the game.

Balderdash is an hilarious and fun game to play.

Perhaps we can play a modified game of it with aldous next time he calls the GabCast.

eddie dean

anyone remember Dark Tower?
Me and a friend would play this game all the time. It was discontinued because Milton Bradley basically stole the idea from the developers who submitted the game idea to MB. MB turned down the deveolpers idea and later released the game as their own idea. Pretty fucked up.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Tower_(game)

[attachimg=1]

onan

Quote from: eddie dean on May 24, 2014, 05:21:35 PM
Me and a friend would play this game all the time. It was discontinued because Milton Bradley basically stole the idea from the developers who submitted the game idea to MB. MB turned down the deveolpers idea and later released the game as their own. Pretty fucked up.

I do, played it for a week then sold it at the big swap meet at the greyhound park in Phx.

eddie dean

Quote from: onan on May 24, 2014, 05:23:14 PM
I do, played it for a week then sold it at the big swap meet at the greyhound park in Phx.

I hope you got big bucks for it!
I understand it's very rare and selling  for hundreds!

Kelt

Has anyone mentioned Bermuda Triangle yet?

I used to fucking love that game, and it's quite on topic for the Bellgab forum too.

onan

Quote from: eddie dean on May 24, 2014, 05:26:07 PM
I hope you got big bucks for it!
I understand it's very rare and it's selling  for hundreds!

It was expensive when new. I'm thinking 50 bucks in the late 70's.

b_dubb

Quote from: eddie dean on May 24, 2014, 05:21:35 PM
Me and a friend would play this game all the time. It was discontinued because Milton Bradley basically stole the idea from the developers who submitted the game idea to MB. MB turned down the deveolpers idea and later released the game as their own idea. Pretty fucked up.

[attachimg=1]
I had that game.  I remember being pretty disappointed in it because once you figured out a particular strategy you couldn't lose.  I remember losing interest pretty quickly.

Those game developers should have researched trademarking / copyrighting intellectual material before showing someone your idea.

jazmunda

This thread reminds me of the first verse of this song:

http://youtu.be/1hKSYgOGtos

area51drone

I still occasionally play risk with my friends from college.   One time a friend of mine was so pissed he flipped up the board, and the game was over. 

I used to enjoy playing Star Wars RPG with a friend of mine, and currently I still love Scrabble, Yahtzee, Mastermind and Stratego.

Lately some friends of mine and I have had a lot of fun playing Resistance:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A2BA8G

jazmunda

I always wanted this game.

http://youtu.be/82oepNoBKz0

Some other favorites were:

Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Mastermind, Battleship, Risk.

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2014, 12:48:17 PM
Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, and Risk. Or play cards instead. Anyone remember the game "Diplomacy"? Favorite of Kennedy and Kissinger etc.
Loved Diplomacy.  And Squad Leader, and just about every Avalon Hill game.

And Strat-o-matic.

area51drone

Diplomacy sounds awesome.  I'd be interested in virtual play via bellgab mail.  Anyone else interested?