• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab "New Member" Meet and Greet!

Started by GodsEqual, September 24, 2008, 02:13:23 AM

Hello, found this site through an Android app called "A Online Audio".  Want to say hello and thank you for the station.

Anyone know when the Coast to Coast Android app is going to be released?  They keep saying soon...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Black Kitty Robot on February 10, 2011, 07:50:01 PM
Hello, found this site through an Android app called "A Online Audio".  Want to say hello and thank you for the station.

Anyone know when the Coast to Coast Android app is going to be released?  They keep saying soon...
hi there, and welcome to the forums!

is "a online audio" a stream player?

i don't know anything about a c2c android app.

what type of android phone do you have?  i have a droid x, rooted, running liberty rom v1.5.

JustOneFix

Now that I found the introduction thread.......

I'm JustOneFix and have been a long time listener of C2C. Started around '96 and haven't quit listening yet. I thought it royally sucked when Art retired, but I gave George the benefit of the doubt and kept listening. He's no Art Bell, but he is entertaining in his own way. I have a great disdain for Ian Punnett however.

I stumbled across this forum a few days ago and have lurked ever since. I didn't have anything else to do today so I joined the forum and hope to be pretty active, it looks like a great group and no drama!

MV/Liberace!

hey, justonefix.  already gave u the initial shoutout elsewhere, but no harm in round two.  thanks for joining, and hopefully you'll be a regular.

aldousburbank

Hello everyone,

As a means of retroactively introducing myself... I guess I'm a self confessed weirdo, which I enjoy being, partially because it's the only way I've found to make everyone else seem normal.  Know what I mean?  So as I said in a previous post, I've been radio-ing around the dial lo and behold 'pert near all of these 50 years, and so that's why I'm here.  I like quality radio, especially off kilter stuff tuned into at night on short-wave or AM bands for example.  Corporate radio, not so much.  As a recently displaced small-farm vegetable farmer (soon to be again- I like dirt, what can I say?) I recently became a Mr. Mom, running the house needs while school and work happens for the rest of our home crew, so I have some long-neglected reading, even writing, time again.  So this has been fun, this little outlet for radio community here.

If you're up for a couple of yuks, I wrote a short(ish) story of my being stranded in Needles, CA, home of the Knapp-reported "Needles Crash".  It was hot, I was desperate, and I happened to have the Needles Coast episodes on my mp3 player so it was weird and funny.  You'll find an extract below this link to the whole tamale- Thanks for the forum people!

http://azgoji.com/pin.html

"...there are an abundance of abandoned parking lots in Needles.  This town, once ensconced with the high class El Garces Hotel and Train Depot, situated on the Colorado River where the very hottest portions of Arizona and California meet, is the classic “Route 66 town gone dry”.  It was the arrival of Interstate 40, more so than the advent of cheap air travel, that dried up Needles and dozens of cities and towns along the route like it.  Basically, although often within visible distance from Main Street, the rapid pace of travel on the interstate made the idea of actually stopping at a traffic light or buying an ice cream cone in a place like Needles seem like a less than desirable option, rather than an absolute necessity as in the 66 heydays.  What were once populated downtown business and civic centers are now partially restored and stripped down zones of utilitarian necessity.  Lacking are almost any adornments such as family restaurants, an arcade, a theatre, or any of the other things (other than the token has-been motels, a couple of bars, liquor stores, and a single apparent street walker) that give a place the appearance of livability.

This tale would not be complete however, without the honorable mention of some of America’s most authentically bad cuisine being served right across the street from the train station.  We went there because it was Sam’s birthday and we wanted to treat him to dinner, and it was the only place open because the other one was closed.  Don’t worry, it’ll be easy to find if you want to look for it.  But if you go, don’t expect ambiance or wi-fi service.  Actually, don’t expect any service at all, as I speak perfect spanglish and I couldn’t make sense of anything said by, and eventually to, the two lost looking chavos at the counter.  They acted as if they had just been dropped into their aprons and had no idea what to do next and fumbled with the paper roll on the cash drawer. (Cash only btw, fyi)  It felt so weird that I started to suspect that we had walked in on the middle of a heist and that the real burrito dudes were back there wrapped up in duct tape in the kitchen somewhere.  But as soon as the alleged food started to arrive in a perfectly dysfunctional manner, it was clear that these were undoubtedly, in fact, the two virtuosos behind Sam’s worst birthday meal ever in his 42 years.  So absolutely and undisputedly inedible was this styrofoam cradled fare that we were emotionally and physically incapacitated by the horrid collective realization that this was certainly the most ill-presented and indigestible crap served to a paying customer in many months within a regional circumference of at least 500 miles.  Possibly more.  We were left so stunned by this dark and disturbing knowledge that the thought of returning the foul substance never crossed our heat-stroked minds."

misssirveaux

Quote from: Sy-Klone on January 22, 2011, 08:55:50 AM
I was also 17 in 1997, so we're the same age. I didn't do the pot thing, but otherwise? Yeah. The 90s were fun. It's funny...I spent the 90s desperate to get to the 21st century, and then when I got there, I spent 2001-2010 wishing I could get back to the 80s and now I'm entering 2011 nostalgic for the 90s. It seems that I'm incapable of enjoying the moment. I'm either too busy looking forward or I'm looking backward wishing for the old days. I'd imagine that in 2021, I'll be waxing nostalgic about how cool things were in 2011. :)

I'm in the same boat as Sy-Klone and Michael.  I, too, was 17 in 1997.  I started listening to the show during the summer of 1996.  I was hooked from the moment I heard Art.  The first time I listened, if I recall correctly, was during open lines.  It sucked me in.  I went to school with little or no sleep throughout most of my junior and senior years of high school, thanks to Art Bell.  I remember listening to Ghost to Ghost in 1997 and being unable to go to sleep that night.  I went to school on empty the next day. 

I wrote in another post earlier that Art Bell was one of my idols when I was a teenager.  I guess he still is, and I say that because he had such a huge impact on my life.  He opened my mind up to so many ideas and concepts that had been foreign to me because I had a very sheltered childhood.  I had always had an interest in ghosts and UFOs, which drew me to the show originally, but there was much more than that to Art's program.  He truly changed my mindset when I was young, and for that I'll always look up to him.  And I miss him very much now.  I often think of how great it would be to hear Art providing commentary on all of the mess going on in the world right now instead of you-know-who.

Like Sy-Clone said of himself, I feel nostalgic for the '90s all the time.  I remember being pretty miserable throughout most of my teenage years, but looking back on it now, I did have some very good times.  Simpler times.  We had no ISP at our house until I was close to graduating high school, so I do have plenty of memories of listening to C2C on hot summer nights with just a book, or outside with my telescope, or just lying in my dark bedroom.  Now, most of the time when I listen, I'm online and multitasking.  In fact, I'm pretty much online and multitasking anytime I'm not sleeping.   :P  I miss the days before the Internet sometimes.

Anyway, sorry to ramble.  Just wanted to share a few memories and to share why I'm here.  Glad to have found this place.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: misssirveaux on February 27, 2011, 04:51:43 AM
I'm in the same boat as Sy-Klone and Michael.  I, too, was 17 in 1997.  I started listening to the show during the summer of 1996.  I was hooked from the moment I heard Art.  The first time I listened, if I recall correctly, was during open lines.  It sucked me in.  I went to school with little or no sleep throughout most of my junior and senior years of high school, thanks to Art Bell.  I remember listening to Ghost to Ghost in 1997 and being unable to go to sleep that night.  I went to school on empty the next day. 

I wrote in another post earlier that Art Bell was one of my idols when I was a teenager.  I guess he still is, and I say that because he had such a huge impact on my life.  He opened my mind up to so many ideas and concepts that had been foreign to me because I had a very sheltered childhood.  I had always had an interest in ghosts and UFOs, which drew me to the show originally, but there was much more than that to Art's program.  He truly changed my mindset when I was young, and for that I'll always look up to him.  And I miss him very much now.  I often think of how great it would be to hear Art providing commentary on all of the mess going on in the world right now instead of you-know-who.

Like Sy-Clone said of himself, I feel nostalgic for the '90s all the time.  I remember being pretty miserable throughout most of my teenage years, but looking back on it now, I did have some very good times.  Simpler times.  We had no ISP at our house until I was close to graduating high school, so I do have plenty of memories of listening to C2C on hot summer nights with just a book, or outside with my telescope, or just lying in my dark bedroom.  Now, most of the time when I listen, I'm online and multitasking.  In fact, I'm pretty much online and multitasking anytime I'm not sleeping.   :P  I miss the days before the Internet sometimes.

Anyway, sorry to ramble.  Just wanted to share a few memories and to share why I'm here.  Glad to have found this place.

Very articulate.  As a communications portal the internet has effectively removed "deliberation" prior to responding to, or initiating communication.  It is just too easy to quickly write a regrettable email, or conduct research from illegitimate sources (Wikipedia). 

I usually suggest that, if it is not an emergency, wait at least 3 hours before responding to any email.  Think about it first, mull over a thoughtful response.  Snail mail used to force deliberation, as one has to prepare pen and paper, write your message, put it in an envelope and walk to the mailbox, and perhaps wait a day before it was picked up, and 2 to 3 days before delivery. 

One of the biggest banes to human existence right now are Social Networks.  What a complete waste of time.  People need a lot more "listening to C2C [or any media] on hot summer nights with just a book, or outside with my telescope, or just lying in my dark bedroom" - actual thinking and mental self-discovery perpetuating the growth of a strong individual personality.

Thanks for your post, and welcome.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: misssirveaux on February 27, 2011, 04:51:43 AM

Like Sy-Clone said of himself, I feel nostalgic for the '90s all the time.  I remember being pretty miserable throughout most of my teenage years, but looking back on it now, I did have some very good times.  Simpler times.  We had no ISP at our house until I was close to graduating high school, so I do have plenty of memories of listening to C2C on hot summer nights with just a book, or outside with my telescope, or just lying in my dark bedroom.  Now, most of the time when I listen, I'm online and multitasking.  In fact, I'm pretty much online and multitasking anytime I'm not sleeping.   :P  I miss the days before the Internet sometimes.

A great post. Thx for joining, and post often.

Sent from my Droid X.

Camper

I'm new here but recognize some of you. I was an occasional poster at the old GNS forum. I just found this place when I was searching google to see why Art didn't do the New Years show. I didn't know that they had removed his name from the website and all that. It's inexcusable to remove Art from C2C without at least some kind of statement to longtime listeners.

I've listened to Art from the beginning (I was 41 in 1997!)  I was always a night owl and rarely missed shows over the years. Nothing will ever compare to the old C2C with Art Bell 5 or 6 nights a week. Good times. I like George Knapp and he would be my choice for host. Ian is ok and I usually enjoy his shows. I despise Noory and think anagrammy nailed it when when she referred to him as a radio whore. George is a simple minded idiot. He would be more suited doing those paid advertisements that pass themselves off as talk shows early saturday mornings.

Anyway, hi everyone and I'm glad I found this place!

The General

Quote from: Camper on March 02, 2011, 12:04:25 AM
George is a simple minded idiot. He would be more suited doing those paid advertisements that pass themselves off as talk shows early saturday mornings.
Hilarious and true.  Welcome to Coastgab.

MV/Liberace!

I'm new here but recognize some of you. I was an occasional poster at the old GNS forum. I just found this place when I was searching google to see why Art didn't do the New Years show. I didn't know that they had removed his name from the website and all that. It's inexcusable to remove Art from C2C without at least some kind of statement to longtime listeners.

I've listened to Art from the beginning (I was 41 in 1997!)  I was always a night owl and rarely missed shows over the years. Nothing will ever compare to the old C2C with Art Bell 5 or 6 nights a week. Good times. I like George Knapp and he would be my choice for host. Ian is ok and I usually enjoy his shows. I despise Noory and think anagrammy nailed it when when she referred to him as a radio whore. George is a simple minded idiot. He would be more suited doing those paid advertisements that pass themselves off as talk shows early saturday mornings.

Anyway, hi everyone and I'm glad I found this place!
it's a pleasure you've found your way back.  please return frequently!

HAL 9000

Prediction: Since the recent (roughly March 4, 2011) demise (deletion)of the George Noory Sucks thread at GLP, I expect many new visitors/members here. I suspect the paying members there are pretty pissed, though you have to be pretty stupid to pay just to have an avatar ;)

Consider CG as your GNS lifeboat :)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: HAL 9000 on March 06, 2011, 01:46:34 AM
Prediction: Since the recent (roughly March 4, 2011) demise (deletion)of the George Noory Sucks thread at GLP, I expect many new visitors/members here. I suspect the paying members there are pretty pissed, though you have to be pretty stupid to pay just to have an avatar ;)

Consider CG as your GNS lifeboat :)

That group generated a whole new magnitude of vitriol, unseen here since the GLP Exodus during the summer of '09.  As long as they read and practice the TOS, everything should be fine.  Just my 2 cents.

aldousburbank

George is a simple minded idiot. He would be more suited doing those paid advertisements that pass themselves off as talk shows early saturday mornings.

Nice call.  He'd be great hustling men's cosmetics and anti-aging supplements.

Silent

Quote from: Marc Knight on February 27, 2011, 09:32:36 AM

I usually suggest that, if it is not an emergency, wait at least 3 hours before responding to any email.  Think about it first, mull over a thoughtful response.  Snail mail used to force deliberation, as one has to prepare pen and paper, write your message, put it in an envelope and walk to the mailbox, and perhaps wait a day before it was picked up, and 2 to 3 days before delivery. 

One of the biggest banes to human existence right now are Social Networks.  What a complete waste of time.  People need a lot more "listening to C2C [or any media] on hot summer nights with just a book, or outside with my telescope, or just lying in my dark bedroom" - actual thinking and mental self-discovery perpetuating the growth of a strong individual personality.

I couldn't agree more with your two points here.  I even try to apply that wait period to forum posting, especially when getting into heated topics full of emotion.  Sometimes impulse overrides and I almost always regret a comment or two later on.  That's just my personality though, some people are calm and collected enough to not feel this way.

As for social networks I can't stand them.  They encourage narcissistic behavior in a society that is all too self important already.  There's certainly good sides to sites like Facebook but overall I think it's a waste of time.  There's enough posturing, attention seeking, self absorbed people I meet every day in person.  Twitter is the ultimate manifestation of narcissism in my opinion.

Edited to add this since I love the quote and I think it applies here:

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Social networks are mostly full of people discussing people. 

onan

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 06, 2011, 08:17:55 AM

unseen here since the GLP Exodus during the summer of '09. 

Being still fairly new here... I have no reference to this event. Quite some time ago (more than 2 years, less than 4) I did a search "noory sucks" and I was directed to a website with hundreds of pages of posts varying from hate to some form of apology for noory.

Quite honestly it was so large that any comment would have been nothing more than me swimming 40 miles off the coast of NC and pissing in the water and believing the temperature would change. So after reading a couple pages I left and didn't give it much thought.

I bumped into this forum while looking for art bell shows to d/l... I was quite pleased to find not only access to Art's shows but also to a forum that had thoughtful and often times hilarious posts about our favorite numbskull gn.

So if it isn't a problem what are the cliff notes on this exodus?

IU Jacob

Hello all,

My name is Jacob. I'm a young dude and I'm currently working as a radio DJ, aspiring to be a professional musician aswell.

I've been browsing these forums every now and then over the past little while, so I finally decided to join up.
I'm not a Noory hater per say (in response to the last couple posts above), though I am partial to Art, and I like Ian too.
I would hear Coast to Coast every now and then when I was a kid in the 90's,  (or the “creepy radio show” as I knew it at the time, and thought it was actually coming out of Vancouver… Aliens, Ghosts, and Bigfoots so close to home can be slightly terrifying when you're so young) though I never actually knew what it was or much about the show up until a few years ago when I was about 20 and started listening pretty regularly, so I was pretty much only listening to Noory and Ian live up until about a year ago until I discovered ShoutCast/TuneMark on my iPhone... leading me to Art Bell archives, which I now leave on over the regular show. So, needless to say, I'm still fairly new when It comes to Coast knowledge and community. That said, nice to "meet" you all, hopefully you aren't all total weirdoes.... but then again, hopefully you are. ;)

PS. If one had a question about finding a certain episode from way back (didn't want to just jump in and make a new thread), where would you do this?

EvB

We were invaded by a horde of barbarians.  They were impossible to civilize. Lord knows every effort was made.  they made such a mess of things that Michael shut the site down for a few months, then reopened with a new name.  A few of those people are still around, and welcome.  Not every apple in the barrel was rotten.

I know that's not a lot of info - but honest, it isn't worth much more.

EvB

Welcome IU Jacob!  Looks like you will fit right in.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on March 06, 2011, 11:00:40 AM
Being still fairly new here... I have no reference to this event. Quite some time ago (more than 2 years, less than 4) I did a search "noory sucks" and I was directed to a website with hundreds of pages of posts varying from hate to some form of apology for noory.

Quite honestly it was so large that any comment would have been nothing more than me swimming 40 miles off the coast of NC and pissing in the water and believing the temperature would change. So after reading a couple pages I left and didn't give it much thought.

I bumped into this forum while looking for art bell shows to d/l... I was quite pleased to find not only access to Art's shows but also to a forum that had thoughtful and often times hilarious posts about our favorite numbskull gn.

In the previous manifestation of Coastgab, (georgenoorysucks.com) a God Like Productions (GLP) Refugee thread was created here as a consequence of the elimination of the GLP george noory sucks thread in the summer of '09.  There are different ways of interpreting the phenomenon that followed, but it got a little crazy.  I'll leave further comment to others.

EvB

Quote"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

What I love about the people that CG attracts is that while we do discuss people, we do much more than that. Given the general population of web-forum posters, I'm impressed by the intelligence and thoughtfulness of our crowd.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Silent on March 06, 2011, 09:27:18 AM
I couldn't agree more with your two points here.  I even try to apply that wait period to forum posting, especially when getting into heated topics full of emotion.  Sometimes impulse overrides and I almost always regret a comment or two later on.  That's just my personality though, some people are calm and collected enough to not feel this way.

As for social networks I can't stand them.  They encourage narcissistic behavior in a society that is all too self important already.  There's certainly good sides to sites like Facebook but overall I think it's a waste of time.  There's enough posturing, attention seeking, self absorbed people I meet every day in person.  Twitter is the ultimate manifestation of narcissism in my opinion.

Edited to add this since I love the quote and I think it applies here:

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Great quote, thanks.

Silent

Quote from: EvB on March 06, 2011, 11:35:00 AM

What I love about the people that CG attracts is that while we do discuss people, we do much more than that. Given the general population of web-forum posters, I'm impressed by the intelligence and thoughtfulness of our crowd.

This is true.  There's a nice mix of discussion that goes on here.  Just to clarify my post, I don't mean to say that anyone using sites like Facebook are small minded dumb people.  I think small talk about people and ourselves is a normal piece of human life that everyone does.  My problem with social networks is they are designed around these kinds of things and thus mostly contain chit chat of no real substance.  The amount of attention Facebook and Twitter get here in the US goes way beyond the value of their content and what they contribute to our society and culture.  I believe most people are capable of more intelligent thoughts, these thoughts just don't end up on Facebook and Twitter.

EvB

QuoteI believe most people are capable of more intelligent thoughts, these thoughts just don't end up on Facebook and Twitter.

Agreed.  When I refer to the web population of posters, I'm talking about general human (I think they are human) behavior on the web.  someperfectly nice, sane and intelligent people go nuts on the web.  I'm told it has to do with the fact that we are not face to face with, or thinking of, a person in particular and therefore our usual filters often don't kick in as they should.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Silent on March 06, 2011, 12:02:22 PM
The amount of attention Facebook and Twitter get here in the US goes way beyond the value of their content and what they contribute to our society and culture.  I believe most people are capable of more intelligent thoughts, these thoughts just don't end up on Facebook and Twitter.

Understanding these medium's potentials, what they have rapidly evolved into I call Abuse Of Freedom Of Speech.

Silent

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 06, 2011, 12:18:07 PM
Understanding these medium's potentials, what they have rapidly evolved into I call Abuse Of Freedom Of Speech.

I'm intrigued by this.  Could you elaborate a bit?

EvB

Jacob,

I looked around and fond some posts about available shows in this thread:
Do not attach Coast to Coast episodes to your messages.
So, that is one place to try.

onan

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 06, 2011, 12:18:07 PM

To me Facebook (the only one I ever visited) was mostly a complete waste of time. Way too much information from friends of friends of family and invitations to assinine sites to waste more time. All of this under the false premise of community.

As to an abuse of freedom of speech... I don't see that. I have seen the opposite however. I know of 2 incidents of people losing their jobs for posting disparaging remarks that might have lead back to the company. I do not think any damage was ever proven but employment was lost just the same.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Silent on March 06, 2011, 12:26:17 PM
I'm intrigued by this.  Could you elaborate a bit?

Well, mostly because it sounds funny to me to say it.  But the thought was ok, we are one of the few places on the planet where we are allowed to express ourselves to the point of yelling fire in a crowd, now what have you got to say?  That kind of thing.