• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IRS demands Ron Paul's donor list

Started by bateman, April 15, 2014, 07:24:21 PM

Juan

I think all contributions to campaigns are public. Or maybe there's a small donor exemption.
This is something different - it's contributions to a private non-profit.  Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the aims of the non-profit, should all of their donor lists be public?

Should our votes be public too?

It wouldn't be a problem, except Left-wing thugs get the information then assault and harass the people they don't agree with.  All in the name of Free Speech, of course.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Juan on April 16, 2014, 09:39:39 AM
I think all contributions to campaigns are public. Or maybe there's a small donor exemption.
This is something different - it's contributions to a private non-profit.  Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the aims of the non-profit, should all of their donor lists be public?
Yes, because if money is speech, as the Roberts Court has decreed, then why the speakers be permitted to hide?  If they fought so hard for their "speech" they should have the dignity to stand behind it.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 16, 2014, 01:27:05 PM
Should our votes be public too?

It wouldn't be a problem, except Left-wing thugs get the information then assault and harass the people they don't agree with.  All in the name of Free Speech, of course.
Votes are the most secularly sacred possession of free citizens.  Choice is always personal and private whereas speech is meant for public consumption.
But don't let the obvious undermine yet another cheap shot at lefties.

oh, and "Alinsky".

Well, money talks and bullshit, uh, hides.

wr250

well good ol al sharpton owes some 2.6 million to the irs. govt response? dinner with 0bama.
cliven bundy owes 1.1 mil  in grazing fees. govt response? armed siezure of cattle nearly provoking another waco.
IRS probes ron paul?  hey stick to those you know owe money and go after them.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: wr250 on April 16, 2014, 04:35:29 PM
well good ol al sharpton owes some 2.6 million to the irs. govt response? dinner with 0bama.
cliven bundy owes 1.1 mil  in grazing fees. govt response? armed siezure of cattle nearly provoking another waco.
IRS probes ron paul?  hey stick to those you know owe money and go after them.
As the thread indicates, Sharpton did render some service to our nation by wearing a wire to confront organized crime.  I have, as yet, to find any service rendered by Cliven Bundy.
And the cattle were returned:
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/04/14/Feds-give-in-release-cattle-seized-from-Nevada-rancher-who-refused-their-authority/8431397503860/
Precisely to avoid "another Waco" where some people feel they have no responsibility to other people or their own government.

onan

I think this article helps explain Sharpton, at least to his ability to stay in the political limelight.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/04/16/why-does-al-sharpton-still-have-pull-with-america-political-class/

As far as comparing him to Bundy... Bundy never got a consensus for anything, from anyone without a baseball bat (ok I kid).

Juan

Quote from: NowhereInTime on April 16, 2014, 02:52:10 PM
Yes, because if money is speech, as the Roberts Court has decreed, then why the speakers be permitted to hide?  If they fought so hard for their "speech" they should have the dignity to stand behind it.
Except that relates to political campaigns - not contributions to a non-profit.  Should the donor lists of all non-profits be open to public inspection?

onan

Quote from: Juan on April 16, 2014, 05:28:31 PM
Except that relates to political campaigns - not contributions to a non-profit.  Should the donor lists of all non-profits be open to public inspection?

Yes, unless the donor wants no tax break and remains anonymous.

VtaGeezer

The toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.  The Bush-Roberts Court is for America what the Greeks call ephialtes...after Ephialtes of Trachis, who sold out the Spartans at Thermopylae. We are sooo fucked.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Juan on April 16, 2014, 05:28:31 PM
If they are charities designed to help people and meet decent thresholds of contribution then no.  If they are SuperPACS or megachurches where the "pastor" drives a Bentley, then yes.
If you put a gun to my head, I would err toward disclosure than secrecy when it comes to the flow of money.

SciFiAuthor

They'd just leak it anyway. The IRS is notorious for doing that.

bigchucka

Next they'll be wanting Rand Paul's....

someguy

ron paul has ties to white supremacy movement which in turn has ties to far right wing politics. they're going to be scrutinized.

Little Hater

Quote from: NowhereInTime on April 16, 2014, 09:01:13 AM
All political donors should be publicized.  Free speech should be public, not skulking in the shadows.

I knew that if I hung around here long enough, NIT and I would agree on something. I would also include donations to non-profits of all kinds if the money is tax-deductible.

I also think all government records (except those with legitimate national security or personal privacy implications) should be open, and easily accessible online.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: bigchucka on April 16, 2014, 10:02:15 PM
Next they'll be wanting Rand Paul's....
Relax.  Nobody wants Rand Paul.

albrecht

Why not just get rid of the tax-free charitable giving entirely? Why are some people allowed via our tax laws to decide which ideas or social programs they wish to support instead of paying taxes? Especially the large Foundations set up for perpetuity by billionaires as a way to avoid taxes, employ family members and friends, fund pet projects, project political/social influence even in non-directly, and fund parties, "fund raisers", buildings, and travel tax-free. Congress investigated them in 1954 and not much has changed.

I'm all for charity, religious donations, and even funding political action groups if you wish. But they shouldn't be tax-free. If we all didn't have to pay so much in taxes we could give more to charity or our own pet-projects. I still say a national sales tax but....too many lawyers, accountants, corporations, Foundations, and politicians are vested in the system that benefits them.