• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:22:13 PM
Initially the governor of Maine did unilaterally quarantine her.
Nope.
Authority of Department. Maine Rev. Stat. tit. 22 § 802(2)
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/22/title22sec802.html

136 or 142

Quote from: area51drone on October 31, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
That's the problem.  Think is different than know.  Is it unlikely?  Maybe.  But I bet they couldn't even tell you for the common cold or flu whether or not it will mutate in a given way or another over the next year.   That's why people have to constantly get flu shots is because the virus constantly changes.   One little change in the wrong person could lead to disastrous consequences.

Actually you have to get the flu shot each year because there are a number of strains of it, not because it is constantly mutating. If it was only because of mutations you would likely need to get a new shot once every 5 years or so. The vast majority of times a virus mutates it becomes less deadly because the virus does not want to kill its host.

Show me a single expert in ebola who believes that it could mutate to become airborne in the near future.

area51drone

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:32:02 PM
Actually you have to get the flu shot each year because there are a number of strains of it, not because it is constantly mutating.  The vast majority of times a virus mutates it becomes less deadly because the virus does not want to kill its host.

Show me a single expert in ebola who believes that it could mutate to become airborne in the near future.

What do you think a different strain is??  Jesus Fucking Christ.   "Constantly mutating" is a term meant to suppose that there is a new strain each host.  I'm not saying that at all.  But does it mutate now and then within a course of a year?  I am willing to put money down that the answer is yes.  How many ebola experts are there?  How many of them work for the CDC, or equivalents in their respective countries?   Probably all of them.  How many of those will be willing to lose their jobs by coming out and saying there is a chance?  Probably none.   You're not going to hear it, but it is TRUE that there is SOME CHANCE it could mutate and get much worse, whether or not you want to believe it.

bateman

That this is even a question is absurd. If you've been doing high-risk work with patients who are suffering from one of the nastiest viruses known to man, whose methods of transmission are still being debated by the scientific community, wouldn't any responsible person want to err on the side of caution & stay away from the public for a bit when they get back?

Oh, it's inconvenient? Well nevermind then! Go about your business. Go lick some fruit at the grocery store.

It's utterly irresponsible.

bateman

Also, that CONSERVATIVE RAG, the Associated Press determined that:

QuoteThe U.S. health care apparatus is so unprepared and short on resources to deal with the deadly Ebola virus that even small clusters of cases could overwhelm parts of the system, according to an Associated Press review of readiness at hospitals and other components of the emergency medical network.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EBOLA_US_HEALTH_CARE_PREPAREDNESS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-29-12-25-52

136 or 142

1.It's the same strains that have been around for years.
2.Most ebola experts probably work in universities.

There is a chance we could be hit by a meteor tomorrow.  So what?

area51drone

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:39:01 PM
1.It's the same strains that have been around for years.
2.Most ebola experts probably work in universities.

1. Prove it.  I'm sure some have been around, but tell me where they all started and when!  A strain is still a mutation.
2. Do you know that for a fact?  How many places even have access to the virus?  I bet it is maybe two or three in the country.  Maybe most ebola experts have part time gigs teaching but that doesn't mean they aren't CDC
employees.
3. So what?  We have scientists looking for the dangerous meteors right now.  We pay people who think about how to deal with the situation of one coming and destroying life as we know it.  That's what.   If we have the power to do something about it, we should, as a society, make that happen.

Quarantining someone is a lot easier than stopping a meteor.

bateman

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:39:01 PM

There ain't much we can do about it. Why not reduce the risk of spreading Ebola, which we CAN do?

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on October 31, 2014, 04:43:05 PM

Quarantining someone is a lot easier than stopping a meteor.
If you have connections to the CDC and are an Obama adherent (look at the linked-in etc stuff that she scrubbed from the internet upon returning to the USA) you don't need to be quarantined. If you are a solider, even a general, you must be quarantined. Interestingly many soldiers didn't vote for Obama.

136 or 142

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
There ain't much we can do about it. Why not reduce the risk of spreading Ebola, which we CAN do?

Because it doesn't actually reduce the risk of spreading ebola and given that it may deter health care workers from going to West Africa it will likely increase the risk of spreading ebola.

bateman

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:48:54 PM
Because it doesn't actually reduce the risk of spreading ebola and given that it may deter health care workers from going to West Africa it will likely increase the risk of spreading ebola.

I keep hearing that talking point, I'm not buying it.

136 or 142

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

So, just to make you feel better we should rip up the constitution?

bateman

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:51:50 PM
So, just to make you feel better we should rip up the constitution?

Not at all. I think the NGOs should have their own quarantine policy for starters, because it's the responsible thing to do. Doctors Without Borders dropped the ball - they should not have allowed Craig Spencer back in the States without taking the time to make sure he was not infected. They didn't. The policy should not be "oh, you're probably ok, have a good flight!" Symptoms do not immediately present themselves, as everyone is probably aware of at this point.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 04:50:57 PM
It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Someone willing who will go to third world countries to help desperate people (who sometimes have even attacked doctors and officials) suffering from a deadly communicable disease who can often not even bury bodies and leave them in the streets due to the state of countries' economies and disease will be "put off" from going because they might need to stay in an air-conditioned or heated house with WiFi, cable, telephone, and good food (usually paid) upon their return. Makes sense.

One would think a person so good and decent to volunteer to help people and take that risk would also err on the side of caution when it comes to their own families, and countries, and self-quarantine.

136 or 142

The only person quarantined so far was put in a tent without a shower.

bateman

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:59:13 PM

She also refused to just stay home for a few days. She's an utter twat.

136 or 142

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 05:03:54 PM

She also refused to just stay home for a few days. She's an utter twat.

Actually, she's a hero.  You're the utter twat.

bateman

bateman

I also notice you didn't respond to perfectly reasonable points above. Use your head.

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:59:13 PM
What are you talking about? We have about about a dozen Army soldiers quarantined now with more coming. And the original guy who brought it to the US, Duncan, who died, family was under a quarantine at his apartment in Dallas. The only one who complained loudly was this Obama adherent (who scrubbed her linked-in etc pretty quickly) who found a judge to back her claims up because quarantine IN HER OWN HOUSE was too much an inconvenience.

136 or 142

Fair point on the soldiers.

I see, she picked the judge huh.

Yes,, shame on her for complaining when she had her rights violated for no reason.

Tell me again how you conservatives are all for the constitution. Like I said above you're just a bunch of stupid hypocrites.

It's amusing how you conservatives like to portray yourselves as 'tough guys' yet you're so easily frightened out of your little panties whether it's by ebola, isis, gays or dozens of other things.

bateman

Respond to the points above. Or just keep spewing talking points & namecalling, it really strengthens your position.

For the record, I am not a conservative.

136 or 142

What haven't I responded to?

bateman

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 05:23:07 PM
What haven't I responded to?

Do I need to link you to the specific posts? Scroll up.

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 05:12:26 PM
Fair point on the soldiers.

I see, she picked the judge huh.

Yes,, shame on her for complaining when she had her rights violated for no reason.

Tell me again how you conservatives are all for the constitution. Like I said above you're just a bunch of stupid hypocrites.

It's amusing how you conservatives like to portray yourselves as 'tough guys' yet you're so easily frightened out of your little panties whether it's by ebola, isis, gays or dozens of other things.
Nobody, well at least I'm not, is afraid, yet at least. The difference between African and countries and ours (even with the bad economy and open-borders) is remarkable. It is no surprise that diseases spread quite easily there. We have more to fear from Obama than Ebola, currently. Certainly more to fear from Cartels and illegals, than from ISIL/ISIS/SI or whatever next bunch of Islamic rebels Obama will arm.

I just enjoy watching the mayhem and debate and especially how, once again, we see the President so out of depth in a situation. And doomsday scenarios, like the man-made warming  disruption or Quickening, are always fun to speculate on- they even make profitable fiction movies from them like WWZ, An Inconvenient Truth, Day After Tomorrow, etc. Though I gotta say Scallion and Deyo do a better job than Gore, Jr.

136 or 142

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 05:23:59 PM
Do I need to link you to the specific posts? Scroll up.

I have no idea what you are referring to.

bateman

I'm beginning to see why people avoid the Politics board.

area51drone

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 05:28:53 PM
I'm beginning to see why people avoid the Politics board.

MV drug me in here with his stupid threads merge.  I don't think I even looked at this board until then.

Gd5150

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 31, 2014, 04:32:02 PM
Actually you have to get the flu shot each year

Actually no you don't. I've never gotten the shot. I never get the flu. I never will because the flu shot is a bunch of BS used to make pharmaceutical companies money. If you want to get the flu, get the flu shot.

Most people mistake mild food poisoning which is extremely common for the flu.

Oh and A51 your avatar is hilarious! Blackface never gets old.

albrecht

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 31, 2014, 05:59:41 PM
Actually no you don't. I've never gotten the shot. I never get the flu. I never will because the flu shot is a bunch of BS used to make pharmaceutical companies money. If you want to get the flu, get the flu shot.

Most people mistake mild food poisoning which is extremely common for the flu.

Oh and A51 your avatar is hilarious! Blackface never gets old.
I got the flu shot once and didn't catch the flu. But never have caught the flu in all the years I haven't taken it, so I tend to agree with you on that. I do take stuff like tetanus, Hepatitis, etc. But not the flu shot since their own material always ends up saying it isn't all that effective or they missed this year's strain. I don't think it is a depopulation plot or any of that non-sense.