• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 02:20:14 PM

I notice you didn't contradict what I said

And I doubt you've even seen any Jehovah Witnesses in years.
You trolls shouldn't be fed; you always want the last bite.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on Today at 09:40:49 AM

... The travel banners may have enormous faith in the competence of government...

Goodness, hypocrisy from the right?  Who would have expected THAT?...

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 12:57:50 PM
It's not an all or nothing game.  We Conservatives believe there is a place for government, duh.

We just don't think it needs to be anywhere near the size that it has turned into. 

There's a prime example of what conservatives and religious nuts do when they have no effective counter-argument: it's called moving the goalposts.

If you'd like to address what I wrote rather than this silly diversion, I'm all ears.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 21, 2014, 12:17:14 PM
Total costs of 32 billion as estimated by the UN and World Bank. $1 million to help those infected and prevention, and  $29,999,000,000 to the board of directors at the UN and World Bank corporations...I mean not for profit organizations.

The costs to pharmaceutical companies are unmeasurable. R&D is millions. If they develop a successful vaccine and eliminate the need for their lifelong "treatments", the costs are trillions. Thats why they haven't developed a vaccine in nearly a century.
Clarify that.   Do you mean no for-profit company has developed a vaccine in nearly a century?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 02:20:14 PM
And I doubt you've even seen any Jehovah Witnesses in years.

I wish you could say that about me.  They come to my door every fuckin day.  And they send a different platoon every time, so it's useless to tell them to fuck off.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 02:47:58 PM
I wish you could say that about me.  They come to my door every fuckin day.  And they send a different platoon every time, so it's useless to tell them to fuck off.
Now they have an iPad app; if you say anything but "Uh-huh" they can input it and it gives them a bible verse to use in response.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 21, 2014, 02:46:42 PM
Clarify that.   Do you mean no for-profit company has developed a vaccine in nearly a century?
But they get incentives, things like immunity from lawsuits, or government pressuring people to use them (recall Rick Perry and his call for girls to get HPV vaccine.)
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB123535050056344903
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/perry-has-deep-financial-ties-to-maker-of-hpv-vaccine/2011/09/13/gIQAVKKqPK_story.html

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 02:47:58 PM

Put a "No solicitors" sign on your front door.  An old buddy of mine who became a JW many years ago has told me about the protocols they have to follow when they go a-witnessing, and they're supposed to honor those signs as well as any place that posts "No trespassing" signs.  A lot of door-to-door peddlers ignore it (and from the looks of many of them, that's probably more a literacy issue than anything else), but I haven't had a JW ring the bell in years and they're definitely around. 

It seems to work for Mormons, too, because they don't come to the door either, although that could be because I had to get my surly on a long time ago with a couple of them who they claimed they weren't technically soliciting because they weren't asking for money.  When I tried to point out to them that they were soliciting my valuable time, they gave me some guff so I gave some back and sent them packing, and haven't had one ring at the door since.  Maybe word got around.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on October 21, 2014, 03:58:58 PM
Put a "No solicitors" sign on your front door.  An old buddy of mine who became a JW many years ago has told me about the protocols they have to follow when they go a-witnessing, and they're supposed to honor those signs as well as any place that posts "No trespassing" signs.  A lot of door-to-door peddlers ignore it (and from the looks of many of them, that's probably more a literacy issue than anything else), but I haven't had a JW ring the bell in years and they're definitely around. 

What if I pulled out my trouser trout and told them, "Witness this."

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 04:16:00 PM

That probably depends on whether they've ridden on the BART with you.  ;)

VtaGeezer

By the time they stop laughing, maybe they'll have forgotten why they're there. ;D

DPS, if you're even gonna talk about whipping it out around here, you're going to open yourself to all sorts of verbal assault (but we love you anyway).

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 21, 2014, 05:28:09 PM
you're going to open yourself to all sorts of verbal assault

So pulling out my johnson could result in you guys using your mouths on me?  I'm flattered...maybe even a little curious.

136 or 142

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 02:19:25 PM

I didn't say they weren't important, I said they weren't diseases, and that the CDC should be focused on their mission and not this other stuff.  And that there are other agencies charged with those issues. 

Offhand, there is the NIH, Dept of Transportation, Health and Human Services, on and on.  But only one Center For Disease Control:

So not only am I not embarrassed, I'm correct.

It's always fun to watch a person who thinks he's an expert show himself to be a fool.

1.The CDC is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

2.The full name of the CDC is the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.  I don't disagree on all counts, but let's go through them
A.Mandatory motorcycle helmet laws.
I don't like helmet laws and they are probably a matter for state government, not the feds, but helmets allegedly prevent brain damage, which the Center for Disease Control and Prevention is trying to PREVENT.

B.Video games and TV violence
Again, I don't like this, but this has been a concern ever since television first aired (and comic books came out and so on). It isn't surprising that the CDC would want to study the effects to try to PREVENT violence.

C.Playground equipment
From the CDC site:
Overview
Each year in the United States, emergency departments treat more than 200,000 children ages 14 and younger for playground-related injuries (Tinsworth 2001).

Occurrence and Consequences
About 45% of playground-related injuries are severeâ€"fractures, internal injuries, concussions, dislocations, and amputations (Tinsworth 2001).
About 75% of nonfatal injuries related to playground equipment occur on public playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001). Most occur at schools and daycare centers (Phelan 2001).
Between 1990 and 2000, 147 children ages 14 and younger died from playground-related injuries. Of them, 82 (56%) died from strangulation and 31 (20%) died from falls to the playground surface. Most of these deaths (70%) occurred on home playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001).
Cost
In 1995, playground-related injuries among children ages 14 and younger cost an estimated $1.2 billion (Office of Technology Assessment 1995).
Again, that sounds like something the CDC would try to PREVENT.

You'd figure a crack 'investigative reporter' like Michelle Malkin would have looked that up.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 05:33:11 PM
So pulling out my johnson could result in you guys using your mouths on me?  I'm flattered...maybe even a little curious.

Okay, THAT was funny! Verbal, not oral, but if the thought floats your boat, fantasy costs nothing!

paladin1991

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
1.Christopher Labos an Epidemiologist from McGill was interviewed on the CBC radio news

Q:Dr. Labos should we be concerned about ebola?
A:In a word, no, we need to be prepared but I don't think we need to be worried.

Q:Is it airborne?
A:No, ebola is spread by direct contact with an infected person.

Q:Could the virus mutate and become airborne?
A:Over a million years, possibly.  Over the next six months, no.

Q:How do you get it?
A:It's really direct contact with broken skin with an infected person's bodily fluid, things like blood, vomit and diahrea mostly.

Hmm, mostly.  Does that imply to anyone else that there *may* be other ways to contract?  Kinda?  Sorta.

It has been pointed out that Americans seem to think that direct contact is actually touching.  The WHO defines direct contact as being within 3 feet.  So if somebody coughs this shit, I can catch in the molecules of sputum?  Kinda?  I guess that doesn't fall under the category of airborne but, ummm, ejecta?

paladin1991

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 10:40:49 AM
Ebola Hysteria Fever: A Real Epidemic
*snip*
I'll just leave that there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dean-baker/ebola-hysteria-fever-a-re_b_6020952.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
Leave that there, what, like a dog turd?  Pick that shit up and take it away.  Nobody needs to have hindsight or even common fucking sense.

'Leave that there.'   Right.  Fucker.

paladin1991

Hmmmm, they might be hooked?  And then you will never get rid of them.

136 or 142

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 21, 2014, 06:03:46 PM
  Hmm, mostly.  Does that imply to anyone else that there *may* be other ways to contract?  Kinda?  Sorta.

It has been pointed out that Americans seem to think that direct contact is actually touching.  The WHO defines direct contact as being within 3 feet.  So if somebody coughs this shit, I can catch in the molecules of sputum?  Kinda?  I guess that doesn't fall under the category of airborne but, ummm, ejecta?

Yes, you seem to be correct.

From CDC
Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?
Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

136 or 142

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 21, 2014, 06:05:46 PM
Leave that there, what, like a dog turd?  Pick that shit up and take it away.  Nobody needs to have hindsight or even common fucking sense.

'Leave that there.'   Right.  Fucker.

You know, Paladin never would have called a person a 'fucker'.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 05:38:41 PM
It's always fun to watch a person who thinks he's an expert show himself to be a fool.

1.The CDC is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

2.The full name of the CDC is the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.  I don't disagree on all counts, but let's go through them
A.Mandatory motorcycle helmet laws.
I don't like helmet laws and they are probably a matter for state government, not the feds, but helmets allegedly prevent brain damage, which the Center for Disease Control and Prevention is trying to PREVENT.

B.Video games and TV violence
Again, I don't like this, but this has been a concern ever since television first aired (and comic books came out and so on). It isn't surprising that the CDC would want to study the effects to try to PREVENT violence.

C.Playground equipment
From the CDC site:
Overview
Each year in the United States, emergency departments treat more than 200,000 children ages 14 and younger for playground-related injuries (Tinsworth 2001).

Occurrence and Consequences
About 45% of playground-related injuries are severeâ€"fractures, internal injuries, concussions, dislocations, and amputations (Tinsworth 2001).
About 75% of nonfatal injuries related to playground equipment occur on public playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001). Most occur at schools and daycare centers (Phelan 2001).
Between 1990 and 2000, 147 children ages 14 and younger died from playground-related injuries. Of them, 82 (56%) died from strangulation and 31 (20%) died from falls to the playground surface. Most of these deaths (70%) occurred on home playgrounds (Tinsworth 2001).
Cost
In 1995, playground-related injuries among children ages 14 and younger cost an estimated $1.2 billion (Office of Technology Assessment 1995).
Again, that sounds like something the CDC would try to PREVENT.

You'd figure a crack 'investigative reporter' like Michelle Malkin would have looked that up.
Good lad for blowing his cover.  If we were to debunk all the BS that PB posts as fact, it would take a dedicated forum and a more time than most care to spend. But that's the whole idea behind posting half-truths and fragments of fact, isn't it?

136 or 142

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 21, 2014, 06:18:46 PM
Good lad for blowing his cover.  If we were to debunk all the BS that PB posts as fact, it would take a dedicated forum and a more time than most care to spend. But that's the whole idea behind posting half-truths and fragments of fact, isn't it?

Well,like I said, I don't fully disagree with him.  I think 'zero tolerance' is  ridiculous and I think society has gone way overboard in trying to prevent everybody from hurting themselves.

When I was a kid my playground at school was about 100 yards from the school and was fenced in by a 5-10 foot high wall, and now its been moved next to the school and is all made out of plastic.  I'm sure there have to be negative consequences of trying to protect everybody from everything. The CDC should study that.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 06:35:53 PM
Well,like I said, I don't fully disagree with him.  I think 'zero tolerance' is  ridiculous and I think society has gone way overboard in trying to prevent everybody from hurting themselves.

When I was a kid my playground at school was about 100 yards from the school and was fenced in by a 5-10 foot high wall, and now its been moved next to the school and is all made out of plastic.  I'm sure there have to be negative consequences of trying to protect everybody from everything. The CDC should study that.
I probably would agree with PB on some issues, but he's so obnoxiously hardline that we'll just as probably never know.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 05:38:41 PM
It's always fun to watch a person who thinks he's an expert show himself to be a fool...

Well, I'm no expert, that's for sure. 

Honestly, it really wasn't that hard to notice links to a few articles and columns at various websites on the subject, follow them, read them, and post them here.  It beats blindly accepting whatever it is this Administration and Big Media want us to think.

136 or 142

In 2005 President Bush requested for the CDC
$5 million for a Youth Media Campaign (down from $36 million the previous year)
$154 million for injury prevention
$279 million for Occupational health and safety

http://www.cphfoundation.org/documents/CDCFY2005.pdf

This is President Obama's 2013 proposed budget:

http://www.cphfoundation.org/documents/CDCFY2013.pdf
I don't see much difference in priorities.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 06:55:15 PM

Honestly, it really wasn't that hard to notice links to a few articles and columns at various websites on the subject, follow them, read them, and post them here.  It beats blindly accepting whatever it is this Administration and Big Media want us to think.

Even a minimum of investigation before your hasty and failed attempts to blame the Obama administration would reveal the CDC's expansion toward disease (and injury) prevention occurred over 30 years ago under Ronald Reagan's administration.  I've listed a few of the highlights here...

CDC reported that about 7,000 workers die on the job annually; 42 percent of female workers who die on the job are murdered.

CDC established the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.

The Office on Smoking and Health, which targets the nation’s primary preventable health problem, became part of CDC.

CDC established a Violence Epidemiology Branch to apply public health prevention strategies to child abuse, homicide, and suicide.

The Communicable Disease Center became the Center for Disease Control.

http://www.cdc.gov/museum/timeline.htm

136 or 142

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2014, 06:55:15 PM

I see you deleted your other post.  I believe you should look up this phrase "hindsight is 20/20."

I don't know how much was spent by the CDC on ebola, but given it's 40 year past history, I can certainly understand if it was very little.

paladin1991

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 06:16:15 PM
You know, Paladin never would have called a person a 'fucker'.
* a slow turn around and a look at 136*  Let me show you around. *puts arm around 136*

Here, let me buy you a coffee and a see-gar. 
It can, and does, get rather raw in here...at times.    You must also look for the nuance that is wrapped in the typed word.  (In the Marines, 'fucker' can be a term of endearment.)   And so it goes here.   DPS and I, give as well as we get.

Fucker.

136 or 142

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 21, 2014, 07:45:22 PM
* a slow turn around and a look at 136*  Let me show you around. *puts arm around 136*

Here, let me buy you a coffee and a see-gar. 
It can, and does, get rather raw in here...at times.    You must also look for the nuance that is wrapped in the typed word.  (In the Marines, 'fucker' can be a term of endearment.)   And so it goes here.   DPS and I, give as well as we get.

Fucker.

LOL well played.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 21, 2014, 06:03:46 PM

This is known as "Droplet" transmission.

Droplet Precautions,
guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for reducing the risk of droplet transmission of infectious agents. Droplet transmission involves contact of the conjunctivae or the mucous membranes of the nose or mouth of a susceptible person with large-particle droplets (larger than 5 μm in size) containing microorganisms generated from a person who has a clinical disease or is a carrier of the disease. Droplets are generated from the source person primarily during coughing, sneezing, talking, and performance of certain procedures such as suctioning and bronchoscopy. Transmission of large-particle droplets requires close contact between source and recipient persons because droplets do not remain suspended in the air and generally travel only short distances (usually 3 feet or less). Special air handling and ventilation are not required to prevent droplet transmission because droplets do not remain suspended in the air. Droplet Precautions apply to any patient known or suspected to be infected with epidemiologically important pathogens that can be transmitted by infectious droplets. See also Standard Precautions, transmission-based precautions.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.