• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 18, 2014, 08:45:14 PM
The 'Cuts'.  Per the Washington Post picked up by MSN

Now that we know the truth about 'the cuts' to the CDC, we can dig a little deeper and perhaps get an understanding of the real reason why the Center of Disease Control hasn't been getting its job done under this President

I'm sure all the Obola supporters hate Michele Malkin, but this is what real investigative journalism looks like, as presented in an opinion piece

Keep in mind it's the Center of DISEASE Control.  None of this other crap they've been wasting our money on are diseases. 

http://michellemalkin.com/2014/10/14/the-centers-for-everything-but-disease-control/

136 or 142

Virologist John Ball at the University of Nottingham interviewed on "The Science Hour" on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028hnzv
at around the 7 minute mark

Q:"Could the virus change the way it transmits and become airborne?"

A:"You can certainly understand why people are worried about that.  The reason that the virus isn't very contagious is because it has adopted this reasonably  inefficient transmission route. We know that lots of people are becoming infected but in general they're in very, very close contact dealing and handling with body fluids. But, there is a great worry, could this virus suddenly change and start to become spread by the airborne route and the reality is that we don't see that with viruses. Generally they tend to stick to the transmission route that they've adopted in the host because they generally would have to start using new receptors and also start to overcome lots of other factors that are present in different cells and in different tissues and it would have to overcome it instantaneously and I don't think we're going to see that."

I just read that those who came in contact with Duncan are now clear of quarantine (or will be by tomorrow), including his fiancé.  Also, nurse Pham is expected to make a full recovery.  The cruise ship nurse has tested negative as well!  (This is courtesy of the website Little Green Footballs.).

Don't mean to buzz everybody's harsh, but there it is.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 18, 2014, 08:45:14 PM
The 'Cuts'.  Per the Washington Post picked up by MSN

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/charge-that-gop-cuts-have-stymied-ebola-efforts-doesn%e2%80%99t-add-up/ar-BB9Reaa
That piece is a mess of unrelated fragments on health agency budgets strung together to fill the space under a headline.  It's mention of the effect of sequestration is imperceptible. Like the openness of your thinking.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 19, 2014, 06:43:25 PM
I just read that those who came in contact with Duncan are now clear of quarantine (or will be by tomorrow), including his fiancé.  Also, nurse Pham is expected to make a full recovery.  The cruise ship nurse has tested negative as well!  (This is courtesy of the website Little Green Footballs.).

Don't mean to buzz everybody's harsh, but there it is.

So you're saying for now, despite the clueless CDC, incompetent Obama administration, indiscriminate Republican health care budget cuts, and ubiquitous diseased illegal immigrants, the initial Ebola 'outbreak' in the US has been contained.  Must have been divine intervention.

Well, let's give credit where it's due:  Governor Goodhair himself, Rick Perry, whose brave, uh, unflagging effort to... To...

I got nothing.

Armegeddon tired of this fear-mongering!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 19, 2014, 07:08:19 PM
Well, let's give credit where it's due:  Governor Goodhair himself, Rick Perry, whose brave, uh, unflagging effort to... To...

I got nothing.

Me neither.  I just wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

Really I was just kidding around.  I hope this news puts some fears to rest.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Avi on October 18, 2014, 11:05:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see this as a response to what I wrote. You did not seem to understand what I was saying.
No, I understood perfectly.  I also understand that, despite a decade of PR to the contrary, the medical establishment, of which I'd consider Dallas Presby representative, was caught totally flat-footed, and spewed self-congratulatory platitudes instead of being open and honest.  The first time Texas Health made any public statement on its litany screw-ups by Dallas Presby was when the CEO was brought before Congress on the 16th. No one's pointing fingers at the dedicated people on the front lines, but the circle-the-wagons mentality of management is an entirely different thing.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 19, 2014, 06:54:59 PM
That piece is a mess of unrelated fragments on health agency budgets strung together to fill the space under a headline.  It's mention of the effect of sequestration is imperceptible. Like the openness of your thinking.

Yes, I'm open to hearing new facts and opinions.  You should try it sometime.

The facts presented in that article point out that 'thuh Republicuns' in fact did NOT slash the CDC's budget, as the deceitful destructive dishonest Left decided to claim last week.  Even the Washington Post couldn't let that garbage go by without correcting it.

I suspect they put that information out there as preemptive damage control.  Not only was the claim of Republican 'cuts' a lie, but it turns out the CDC was spending their money and time on issues other than what their mission is:  playground equipment safety, gun control, motorcycle helmet laws, violent video games, on and on - anything and everything other than what they are supposed to be doing. 

All under this worst President in history. There are other agencies that are supposed to work on these issues, I wonder what Odumbo has THEM doing.

Here it is again in case you missed it.  I trust Michelle Malkin, but for those who don't I imagine the CDCs website is bragging about their work on these issues.  Unless they've decided to scrub it now that they are under scrutiny

http://michellemalkin.com/2014/10/14/the-centers-for-everything-but-disease-control/

albrecht

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 19, 2014, 07:08:19 PM

I got nothing.
I'm no fan of the governor (he is a aggie- and I'm always suspect of male cheer-leaders) but I think many don't understand that the governor in Texas is a very weak position, though he has tried to aggrandize somewhat. But constitutionally a weak position compared to governors in many other states. It is not like the "president" of the state here. (Basically, related to when Texas was a country and also post-reconstruction and at all those times people feared powerful central government or leader.) The governor here is more like the "President of the Congress" was back in the good old days of the former 13 colonies Articles of Confederation or early US Presidency before the aggrandizement and especially the "unitary executive" stuff.  For good or for ill that's the facts. So he has an excuse (he can't even legally, thanks to Federal policy) enforce his own border with a narco-state for example.) This Ebola, and the diseases coming from the illegals, is Obama's deal. He is the man that, although I don't like the power that the Executive Branch has gotten, in charge.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 19, 2014, 07:34:23 PM
Yes, I'm open to hearing new facts and opinions. 

Of course you are.  It tees it up for you to instruct everyone on how things really are.

Well, that's Texas, I reckon -- it's a whole other country!  :)

VtaGeezer

Quote from: albrecht on October 19, 2014, 08:12:11 PM
I'm no fan of the governor (he is a aggie- and I'm always suspect of male cheer-leaders) but I think many don't understand that the governor in Texas is a very weak position, though he has tried to aggrandize somewhat. But constitutionally a weak position compared to governors in many other states. It is not like the "president" of the state here. (Basically, related to when Texas was a country and also post-reconstruction and at all those times people feared powerful central government or leader.) The governor here is more like the "President of the Congress" was back in the good old days of the former 13 colonies Articles of Confederation or early US Presidency before the aggrandizement and especially the "unitary executive" stuff.  For good or for ill that's the facts. So he has an excuse (he can't even legally, thanks to Federal policy) enforce his own border with a narco-state for example.) This Ebola, and the diseases coming from the illegals, is Obama's deal. He is the man that, although I don't like the power that the Executive Branch has gotten, in charge.
Sounds like obfuscation to me.  So when Ebola strikes...Perry, the big state sovereignty "get the Feds out of our way" guy leaves town for a Euro photo-op trip.  What a leader.  Presidential material for sure. 

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 19, 2014, 11:23:57 PM
Sounds like obfuscation to me.  So when Ebola strikes...Perry, the big state sovereignty "get the Feds out of our way" guy leaves town for a Euro photo-op trip.  What a leader.  Presidential material for sure.
Not really, just facts and the law (not that either matters to you leftists and Obama adherents.) The history and constitution of Texas is written down. As I mentioned I don't like Perry (his HPV vaccine thing is hardly ever mentioned anymore but it was suspicious) but he was already on his tour (notice how his accent has changed) before Obama let Ebola into the country and into state. And, unfortunately, Texas or any State, doesn't have the power to enforce its borders. So with a President who refuses, and actually encourages, illegal immigration and all the problems and diseases they bring and refuses to ban travel from Ebola infected countries and still is granting VISAs to people from them (and only months after the outbreak decided for basic testing of travelers from Ebola infected countries) there is not much a governor (even in a state with a strong executive and strong governor unlike TX) can do. Ebola=Obama, and while I don't think/hope it will spread here I'm sure in the back of Obama's brain there is a bit of pleasure, call it schadenfreude or whatever, when he see even a single instance of Ebola getting to the USA or a European country.

NowhereInTime

Stop the Flights.  Quarantine Africa.  Close the borders. Exterminate the ill.

Conservative = Chicken Little:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-outbreak-roundup/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Nigeria, epidemic over. Senegal, over. Dallas, over.  Number of US patients battling Ebola: 2.

The 21 day observation period worked in Nigeria.  It has worked in Dallas.  For all of you screaming with panic about the President "leading from behind" or "failing to lead" or whatever sound bite of the minute Cons threw out to scare up votes, another epic fail.

You can't lead hiding behind Mommy's apron.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: NowhereInTime on October 20, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-outbreak-roundup/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Nigeria, epidemic over. Senegal, over. Dallas, over.  Number of US patients battling Ebola: 2.

The 21 day observation period worked in Nigeria.  It has worked in Dallas.  For all of you screaming with panic about the President "leading from behind" or "failing to lead" or whatever sound bite of the minute Cons threw out to scare up votes, another epic fail.

Where you been? Bit early for holidays.

paladin1991

NIT!!!!!

Well no shit, shitbird.  Bought time you showed your skeevy hide.

albrecht

As I said I agree that the hype of Ebola is a little much, though who knows what will happen. I'm more worried about the various diseases and problems caused by Obama's precious illegals walking across the open border. Especially when coupled by the freaks who refuse to vaccinate themselves or children. In my FEMA Region VI, which borders the narco-state, we had a whooping cough at the local elementary. No one else caught it (luckily parents had wisely vaccinated) but we shouldn't have to deal with that. It is bad enough having to educate the brood of the illegals, and disrupt education of our children, but now also have to put up with their diseases? We have an illegal with TB in California, Agustin Zeferino, who was running around everywhere. And many more with the current open-border and catch-and-release (or even ship) illegals to various cities.
Yes, Obama is Ebola, and he likely gets a little thrill anytime he hears when an American or European contracts it, but there are other diseases out there also exacerbated by this guy Obama.

There you are! You crazy, lovable ol` commie SOB, you!

NowhereInTime

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 20, 2014, 11:20:29 AM

There you are! You crazy, lovable ol` commie SOB, you!
Appreciate the love!

Just visiting for now, will be back with a whole (or "a-hole", depending on your perspective) bunch of opinions soon! (Just had to pounce on the Ebola hysteria, though!)

Peace!

Quote from: NowhereInTime on October 20, 2014, 03:08:44 PM
... (Just had to pounce on the Ebola hysteria, though!)

Peace!

Unlike the President and his swooners, most people think it's probably good idea to do what we can to keep people infected with Ebola out of our country. 

I suggest the hysteria is coming from those insisting that would somehow wreck the world's economy, and contradict themselves and each other as they breathlessly try to explain why this virus isn't dangerous.

ksm32

Ebola! Bigger than Bieber!

The Canadian vaccine thus far works 100% on all animals tested. I hope some of you animals get a chance to try it :)

area51drone

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 20, 2014, 10:00:27 PM

Unlike the President and his swooners, most people think it's probably good idea to do what we can to keep people infected with Ebola out of our country. 

I suggest the hysteria is coming from those insisting that would somehow wreck the world's economy, and contradict themselves and each other as they breathlessly try to explain why this virus isn't dangerous.

I'm glad it's supposedly contained, and I hope it stays that way.   I still think we need to keep those West African countries in a virtual quarantine, to whatever extent we can.   I still would like answers on exactly how it can spread, especially if they are allowing West Africans into our country.

Quote from: NowhereInTime on October 20, 2014, 03:08:44 PM
Appreciate the love!

Just visiting for now, will be back with a whole (or "a-hole", depending on your perspective) bunch of opinions soon! (Just had to pounce on the Ebola hysteria, though!)

Peace!

Looking forward to it, my friend.

Until then, be well.

136 or 142

Quote from: area51drone on October 20, 2014, 11:48:04 PM
I'm glad it's supposedly contained, and I hope it stays that way.   I still think we need to keep those West African countries in a virtual quarantine, to whatever extent we can.   I still would like answers on exactly how it can spread, especially if they are allowing West Africans into our country.

1.Christopher Labos an Epidemiologist from McGill was interviewed on the CBC radio news

Q:Dr. Labos should we be concerned about ebola?
A:In a word, no, we need to be prepared but I don't think we need to be worried.

Q:Is it airborne?
A:No, ebola is spread by direct contact with an infected person.

Q:Could the virus mutate and become airborne?
A:Over a million years, possibly.  Over the next six months, no.

Q:How do you get it?
A:It's really direct contact with broken skin with an infected person's bodily fluid, things like blood, vomit and diahrea mostly.

Q:How easy is it to catch on a plane?
A:It's actually pretty hard unless you are sitting right next to a person and they are actively having symptoms of ebola at the time.

Q: When someone is said to be a suspected ebola case, what other things could it be if it's not ebola?
A:It could be anything from the common cold  to the flu to malaria. The first symptoms are fever and chills, that's pretty nonspecific.

2." I still think we need to keep those West African countries in a virtual quarantine"
I find it ironic that conservatives (I don't know if you are a conservative) who often preach against government regulation because of 'unintended consequences' are calling for a government regulation that in this case will have obvious unintended consequences: people in the West African countries that are affected by ebola who want to go to the U.S will travel to unaffected African countries to get a flight.  This will increase the risk of spreading ebola to those African countries and increase the risk of spreading ebola to the U.S.  The best way to prevent the spread of ebola is to do exit screenings in those three West African countries.

Ebola Hysteria Fever: A Real Epidemic

I had a laugh reading this article. 

"The travel banners may have enormous faith in the competence of government, but as a practical matter a travel ban will not keep everyone who has been Liberia out of the country. "

Goodness, hypocrisy from the right?  Who would have expected THAT?

"One obvious way to control Ebola would be to spend some money developing a vaccine. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, thinks that we would have had an effective vaccine by now had it not been for the cuts to the agency over the last decade.

Needless to say, many of the politicians who are now the biggest promulgators of Ebola hysteria fever were also the ones pushing the budget cuts over the last decade. No doubt they are much happier to spend large amounts of money trying to contain the disease now, and treating victims in the United States, then they would have been spending money a decade ago to develop a vaccine against a disease whose primary victims are Africans. "

I'll just leave that there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dean-baker/ebola-hysteria-fever-a-re_b_6020952.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

area51drone

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 21, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
1.Christopher Labos an Epidemiologist from McGill was interviewed on the CBC radio news

Q:Dr. Labos should we be concerned about ebola?
A:In a word, no, we need to be prepared but I don't think we need to be worried.

Q:Is it airborne?
A:No, ebola is spread by direct contact with an infected person.

Q:Could the virus mutate and become airborne?
A:Over a million years, possibly.  Over the next six months, no.

Q:How do you get it?
A:It's really direct contact with broken skin with an infected person's bodily fluid, things like blood, vomit and diahrea mostly.

Q:How easy is it to catch on a plane?
A:It's actually pretty hard unless you are sitting right next to a person and they are actively having symptoms of ebola at the time.

Q: When someone is said to be a suspected ebola case, what other things could it be if it's not ebola?
A:It could be anything from the common cold  to the flu to malaria. The first symptoms are fever and chills, that's pretty nonspecific.

2." I still think we need to keep those West African countries in a virtual quarantine"
I find it ironic that conservatives (I don't know if you are a conservative) who often preach against government regulation because of 'unintended consequences' are calling for a government regulation that in this case will have obvious unintended consequences: people in the West African countries that are affected by ebola who want to go to the U.S will travel to unaffected African countries to get a flight.  This will increase the risk of spreading ebola to those African countries and increase the risk of spreading ebola to the U.S.  The best way to prevent the spread of ebola is to do exit screenings in those three West African countries.

Those don't answer the questions I asked a while back.   They are subject to interpretation.   Apparently the CDC says don't get within 3 feet of someone showing symptoms.  Why is that if you need direct contact?   

As for my political leanings, I'm not a conservative, but it's irrelevant.    I also suggested exit screenings, but based on a quarantine - don't let someone leave unless they've been in isolation for 21 days with no symptoms.    Other African countries are already restricting travel - if they can do it, so can we.

area51drone

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 21, 2014, 10:40:49 AM
"One obvious way to control Ebola would be to spend some money developing a vaccine. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, thinks that we would have had an effective vaccine by now had it not been for the cuts to the agency over the last decade.

This cuts crap is stupid.  I do agree though, that they need to get that zmap upped in production and start giving it to the affected Africans.   Supposedly it has a 100% cure rate in monkeys and in the humans it has been used on.