• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Once again, the atheists are offended.

Started by FightTheFuture, March 09, 2014, 10:39:54 AM

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 10:54:54 AM

I suppose, FtF, there is just so much rancor, hyperbole, misinformation, so many insults and lies in the media  today that it perhaps warps our perspective a bit.  (By "media", I am, of course, referring to the internet forums, TV, radio, political books, and such.)

I believe you and I have had this conversation before, and as I recall, came to a similar conclusion. In this respect, I wish this was one time we more closely resembled our friends to the North (that would be, Canada, for scUM grads).

I think we may have lost a long-time and, yes, outspoken liberal poster on this forum because he simply could no longer stomach the general nastiness.  I am not going to publically announce him because he chose not to go out with a farewell posting himself; I daresay that his absence will become evident in a few days.  Did he perhaps contribute to a bit of the rhetoric and rancor here?  Do I?  Do you?  (The answer is yes, I am sure.)

Well, if that`s true, then I suppose we can revise the, lib : con, ratio to roughly 1493 : 2, in favor of the libs.

FtF, you have publically announced your Christianity.  I have not personally found you to do so in a way that is bothersome in the least.  Faith can be a powerful and transforming force in our lives.  It is often used as a wedge and weapon, too. 

Saved my life.  That`s about all I can speak to. Although, I`m more than willing to tell my story to anybody who wants to listen :D

With regard to the title of this thread; it represents a less than corrosive reflection of what I perceive to be a relatively recent post-modern phenomenon.

Hey, FtF... isn't it funny how we see things through our own filters?  You see a great lib to con ratio here (in favor of the libs)... I see it otherwise.  Here's my assessment:  On the lib side we have me, Onan, Ben Shockley, NowhereinTime, maybe Bdubb (not sure he'd agree), and Yorkshire.  On the con side we have yourself, Paperboy, Ruteger, DanTexas (something like that)... we had QuickKarl until he got the boot...  We had Sardondi until he bailed of his own accord.  Seems about even.

Anyway, I'd welcome a bit more civility from both sides, but then again, I'm what is referred to as a "hand-wringing concern troll" for urging civility.

For the record, there are Democratic politicians who I do not admire; there have been Republican politicians I do admire and have voted for.  I clearly lean far more to the left than I do to the center or right.

Oh, well... keep on keepin' on.

Juan

What bothers me about Lena and her style of humor is that it celebrates dumbassery. I finally saw Beavis and Butthead Do America this weekend, and it struck me that when the movie was made, everyone knew they were dumbasses to be laughed at, not emulated.  Dunam seems to accept her dumbassery as normal.

onan

Dumbassery has been celebrated for generations. Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Cheech and Chong, and others have all celebrated the dumb ass. Comedy pushes boundaries.

I don't think I have ever seen this Lena person. But, poking fun at the story of genesis, isn't that one of the things that make us "better" than Muslims?

And for anyone to take offense at the taunts of christianity... I think Jesus would look at this conversation and smirk then face palm.

awake

My understanding is that the bible makes numerous mentions that jebus was crucified to atone for original sin (Mark 10:45,Matt 26:28,Luke 24:27,Corinthians 15:22,Romans 5:12-21, etc.).  So to accept original sin one must accept at least one of the two, contradictory, genesis myths as literal truth.  That means they are ready to accept a&e as literal beings and original sin as a real event to so that atonement can occur.  Cafeteria christians claim allegory when explaining genesis but doing so removes any original sin motivation for jebus' atonement, or they simply ignore verses that do not fit their version of christianity.  I've not seen anyone suggest that a literal atonement was performed to forgive an allegorical original sin but..... 

Acceptance of a literal genesis to provide a purpose to jebus is likewise a problem for dealing with issues like DNA mutation, light speed, the observable universe and the geologic record. 

So beating on atheists is fun but forgive me if I do not want to be subjected to the delusions of men created out of clay, women from bone, walking and talking serpents, and a creator who punishes his creations for behaving as designed.

Quote from: awake on March 10, 2014, 03:49:02 PM
My understanding is that the bible makes numerous mentions that jebus was crucified to atone for original sin (Mark 10:45,Matt 26:28,Luke 24:27,Corinthians 15:22,Romans 5:12-21, etc.).  So to accept original sin one must accept at least one of the two, contradictory, genesis myths as literal truth.  That means they are ready to accept a&e as literal beings and original sin as a real event to so that atonement can occur.  Cafeteria christians claim allegory when explaining genesis but doing so removes any original sin motivation for jebus' atonement, or they simply ignore verses that do not fit their version of christianity.  I've not seen anyone suggest that a literal atonement was performed to forgive an allegorical original sin but..... 

Acceptance of a literal genesis to provide a purpose to jebus is likewise a problem for dealing with issues like DNA mutation, light speed, the observable universe and the geologic record. 

So beating on atheists is fun but forgive me if I do not want to be subjected to the delusions of men created out of clay, women from bone, walking and talking serpents, and a creator who punishes his creations for behaving as designed.

Excuse me, but I'm curious who this ''jebus'' person is. Did jebus talk to you? Do you hear voices?

wr250

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 04:07:38 PM

Excuse me, but I'm curious who this ''jebus'' person is. Did jebus talk to you? Do you hear voices?

jebus is the lolcat bible translation of "Jesus"

onan

That is just one of the things... Jesus talking to someone, God talking to someone... supposedly matters of faith. More likely hallucinations... psychosis with delusional content.

Look we all have faith in something, bacon will always be tasty, my wife will love me forever, my car won't breakdown on the way to work. Generally we don't marginalize someone that doesn't subscribe to those beliefs. And the christian religion did and does a pretty good job of marginalizing.

Please explain the difference in religious belief and fantasy.

Quote from: wr250 on March 10, 2014, 04:14:42 PM
jebus is the lolcat bible translation of "Jesus"

Ahhh, that clears it up, then. This ''lolcat''. Whom might he be?

wr250

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 04:29:13 PM

Ahhh, that clears it up, then. This ''lolcat''. Whom might he be?

well you could use uncle google. but here you go anyways: http://lolcatbible.com/

[img=100x50]http://media.salon.com/2014/03/wtc_cross2.jpg[/img]
We were looking at this picture at lunch in the office. The muslim (via India) guy said: "It looks like someone stuck a dagger into New York."

Quote from: wr250 on March 10, 2014, 04:30:10 PM
well you could use uncle google. but here you go anyways: http://lolcatbible.com/

Thank-you, wr. I may be old, but I'm slow.

Hell, I never even heard of this glitter person that b-dumb speaks so fondly of.

albrecht

Quote from: Gd5150 on March 10, 2014, 05:41:10 PM
SNL is still on? When?
Exactly. Feeble attempt to get ratings. But is interesting how you won't catch SNL or some Hollywood movie mocking Islam and only will make fun of Jews if done by a Jew himself. Very brave "comedians" and "satirists" when it comes to Mohammed.

Quote from: onan on March 10, 2014, 02:14:52 PM
And for anyone to take offense at the taunts of christianity... I think Jesus would look at this conversation and smirk then face palm.
Gay Jesus concurs.

[attachimg=1]

gbneely

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on March 10, 2014, 08:48:32 PM
Gay Jesus concurs.

[attachimg=1]

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

paladin1991

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on March 10, 2014, 02:18:18 AMThis fighting over whether religious symbols can be in the memorial or not is simply a way to gain attention by crapping on someone that's grieving.
*snip, snip, snippity, snip*

I may have snipped the hell out of your post, but only for brevity.  Thanks for that post.  I mean it.  Thank you very much. 
You were able to put down in words much of what I 'know' and have 'felt' for quite some time.

paladin1991

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 01:34:08 PM
Hey, FtF... isn't it funny how we see things through our own filters?  You see a great lib to con ratio here (in favor of the libs)... I see it otherwise.  Here's my assessment:  On the lib side we have me, Onan, Ben Shockley, NowhereinTime, maybe Bdubb (not sure he'd agree), and Yorkshire.  On the con side we have yourself, Paperboy, Ruteger, DanTexas (something like that)... we had QuickKarl until he got the boot...  We had Sardondi until he bailed of his own accord.  Seems about even.

Anyway, I'd welcome a bit more civility from both sides, but then again, I'm what is referred to as a "hand-wringing concern troll" for urging civility.

For the record, there are Democratic politicians who I do not admire; there have been Republican politicians I do admire and have voted for.  I clearly lean far more to the left than I do to the center or right.

Oh, well... keep on keepin' on.
You can count me on both sides as I have been told that I lean in whichever direction the wind blows. 

Wait.

No.

That wasn't it.

Oh yeah, I was told that 'I blow.'  Don't know where that wind thing came from.  Pfff, well, glad we got all that cleared up.

Gay Jesus concurs.

[attachimg=1]

You  know what would be real cool, Mr daddio? And, I might add, impressive. Go post your funny little cartoon on an Islamic website, of my choice, only this time make it gay Prophet Mohammed. For extra points, tell them your real name and where they can get ahold of you. Think you're man enough for that, big boy?

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 11, 2014, 12:39:46 AM
You  know what would be real cool, Mr daddio? And, I might add, impressive. Go post your funny little cartoon on an Islamic website, of my choice, only this time make it gay Prophet Mohammed. For extra points, tell them your real name and where they can get ahold of you. Think you're man enough for that, big boy?
What is it about Jesus' gayness that angers you so?  And how is posting an image of Him here comparable to posting an image of the prophet on an Islamic website?  Despite your best attempts to turn this site into "Rightwing Conservative/Christian when it is Convenient Gab", it remains Bellgab/George Noory sucks. 

And golly, isn't it ironic how quickly a Christian who starts a thread about atheists being offended is offended himself?
Hypocrite.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on March 11, 2014, 09:40:55 AM
What is it about Jesus' gayness that angers you so?  And how is posting an image of Him here comparable to posting an image of the prophet on an Islamic website?  Despite your best attempts to turn this site into "Rightwing Conservative/Christian when it is Convenient Gab", it remains Bellgab/George Noory sucks. 

And golly, isn't it ironic how quickly a Christian who starts a thread about atheists being offended is offended himself?
Hypocrite.

Heh...what a cowardly chump. 

Hey, on your best day, you couldn't offend me.  But you did try. And the reason you tried, is you know there will never be any blow back from it. Christians are the low-hanging fruit for big tough, brave intellectuals like you, and Lena Dunham, and that ilk.

And furthermore, for you to suggest that I am trying to turn this forum into some kind of right-wing political rag, is  so absurd, it's utterly laughable.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 11, 2014, 10:25:35 AM

Heh...what a cowardly chump. 

Hey, on your best day, you couldn't offend me.  But you did try. And the reason you tried, is you know there will never be any blow back from it. Christians are the low-hanging fruit for big tough, brave intellectuals like you, and Lena Dunham, and that ilk.

And furthermore, for you to suggest that I am trying to turn this forum into some kind of right-wing political rag, is  so absurd, it's utterly laughable.
Nothing cowardly about it, smack boy.  Oh, I know you think it is so, so courageous to don the mantle of "Christian" - when it is convenient to you, that is - but the real cowards are the one's who are so damn petrified of change, and progress, that they will go out of their way to demonize averyone who doesn't think, look or pray like they do.  They will assume that every plane that falls from the sky is caused by Muslims (brown ones, no doubt), that every attempt to seek equality for all infringes on their own rights, that any effort to help the poor, the downtrodden, the disabled or the sick is a communist plot, and that any black man who is elected president is actually a foreigner.

Onward, Christian soldier...

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on March 11, 2014, 10:51:07 AM
Nothing cowardly about it, smack boy.  Oh, I know you think it is so, so courageous to don the mantle of "Christian" - when it is convenient to you, that is - but the real cowards are the one's who are so damn petrified of change, and progress, that they will go out of their way to demonize averyone who doesn't think, look or pray like they do.  They will assume that every plane that falls from the sky is caused by Muslims (brown ones, no doubt), that every attempt to seek equality for all infringes on their own rights, that any effort to help the poor, the downtrodden, the disabled or the sick is a communist plot, and that any black man who is elected president is actually a foreigner.

Onward, Christian soldier...

Good try, pipsqueak.

You`re still a two-bit chump. However, you have added, race-baiting moron, to your forte. I guess that`s something.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 11, 2014, 11:11:41 AM

Good try, pipsqueak.

You`re still a two-bit chump. However, you have added, race-baiting moron, to your forte. I guess that`s something.
Gosh, personal attacks from a junkie sex tourist, who'd a thunk it.  At least you got the needle out of your arm, and the fist out of your colon, long enough to hurl a few more insults, eh?  Your savior will be proud.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 09, 2014, 11:25:20 PM
I forgot to include 'it's not faaair...' sniff, sob
Or to blame it on a "blacklist".

Gay Jesus concurs.

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on March 11, 2014, 09:40:55 AM
What is it about Jesus' gayness that angers you so?..

Hypocrite.

Really?  How about because you meant for it to be insulting - could that be it?

A better question is why you felt the need for any of this, and why this is the insult that came to mind for you - and not for the first time either.

I've personally seen and heard enough of this that when one of these Libs tries to brag about how tolerant, enlightened, etc, they are, how modern, accepting, and 'progressive' they are, I remember their favorite insult is usually to call someone 'gay'.  Apparently that's the worst thing they can come up with.

In this case it's pushed a bit further - "hey you Christians, your JESUS was gay".

Thanks for the occasional reminder

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 14, 2014, 09:20:00 PM

Really?  How about because you meant for it to be insulting - could that be it?

A better question is why you felt the need for any of this, and why this is the insult that came to mind for you - and not for the first time either.

I've personally seen and heard enough of this that when one of these Libs tries to brag about how tolerant, enlightened, etc, they are, how modern, accepting, and 'progressive' they are, I remember their favorite insult is usually to call someone 'gay'.  Apparently that's the worst thing they can come up with.

In this case it's pushed a bit further - "hey you Christians, your JESUS was gay".

Thanks for the occasional reminder

I realize you have a point. But I also see the sarcasm in the usage of gay with Jesus ( I am not trying to be snarcky). Adding gay to Jesus' character should cause one to reflect upon tolerance. The fact that you see gay as an insult is as much an issue with you as it is with the person presenting the dilemma.

Quote from: onan on March 15, 2014, 02:00:47 AM
... The fact that you see gay as an insult is as much an issue with you as it is with the person presenting the dilemma.

You're half right. 

I suggested he meant it to be an insult.  Doesn't mean I agree.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 15, 2014, 02:42:12 AM

You're half right. 

I suggested he meant it to be an insult.  Doesn't mean I agree.

Yeah I understand that. Anytime a term is considered derisive it is difficult to see it any other way. But I think the more important aspect is about tolerance. And with gay Jesus it must by the very definition give one pause to consider intolerance. If instead of saying gay Jesus, I said happy Jesus no one would give their predispositions a second thought.

onan