• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Fret Files: the guitar workshop podcast

Started by The General, January 11, 2014, 12:11:00 PM

onan

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2014, 01:10:27 AM
Glad you're stoked, it's going to be fun!
Of this I am sure.

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2014, 01:10:27 AM
Fear of tools is a good thing.  It means you respect them.

Or you are missing a finger or two.

The General

Quote from: onan on January 12, 2014, 01:14:13 AM
Or you are missing a finger or two.
Isn't that considered the mark of a good craftsman?

Heather Wade

Quote from: analog kid on January 11, 2014, 11:41:40 PM
I have five guitars that are all in bad shape. None of them have ever had a proper setup, and humid LA climate reeks havoc on intonation.

I'd like to see some truss rod adjustment tips. It's something I've never messed with. I have a Baby Taylor that's especially susceptible to climate, apparently, and the intonation is bad enough now that its unplayable (humidifiers are out of the question in Southern LA).

Frankly, I'm chicken about doing the nuts and bolts adjustments to my guitars. I don't know that I'll ever try a fret dressing on one of them.

The podcast is right up my alley and looking forward to it.

Truss rods are scary because all the guitar techs and dudes are so... intense about them.  Don't be scared!  Heh, easy for me to say I am scared of everything, except truss rods. 

Just remember:  "Quarter turn at a time, & check the action."  That's the Golden Rule of Truss Rod Adjustment.  Clockwise bows the neck inward, counterclockwise bows it out. 

I'm sure The General will cover this on his show in greater depth.  Any guitar can sing if properly set up. 

Looking forward to the show.

eddie dean

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 12, 2014, 04:35:00 PM
Truss rods are scary because all the guitar techs and dudes are so... intense about them.  Don't be scared!  Heh, easy for me to say I am scared of everything, except truss rods. 

Just remember:  "Quarter turn at a time, & check the action."  That's the Golden Rule of Truss Rod Adjustment.  Clockwise bows the neck inward, counterclockwise bows it out. 

I'm sure The General will cover this on his show in greater depth.  Any guitar can sing if properly set up. 

Looking forward to the show.

I think I love you.
Any woman who knows about guitar maintenance is cool in my book. 8)

Ill definitely listen if at some point you give me some tips on restringing my Gretsch w/Bigsby's .. Holy shit what a pain.

Ahh and 757, my old hometown. Spent years living in Ghent!

The General

Quote from: Keep Rock Evil on January 12, 2014, 06:02:25 PM
Ill definitely listen if at some point you give me some tips on restringing my Gretsch w/Bigsby's .. Holy shit what a pain.

Ahh and 757, my old hometown. Spent years living in Ghent!
I hate Bigsbys.  Put a serious hook shaped bend in the ball end of the string for easier restringing. And the 757 number is a Google voice number.  Not my actual location.
I'm actually in Seattle.
I liked the number... 757-77GUITAR

I had restrung a million of my guitars and basses, but I never had a "GOOD" guitar growing up. Finally picked up a Gretsch Duo Jet and I babied this guitar forever, then the time came to get some new strings. Not thinking about it, I just unwound them all at the same time and as soon as they came down I saw the bridge and the pickups just slide off the guitar with them.... and my mouth dropped .. I had no idea what I was getting into. lol

eeieeyeoh

Looking forward to podcast General. Hope it becomes regular.

One host/moderator seems most appropriate if taking calls.  Whether guest or not, one call at time least confusing.  I've noticed multiple co-hosts tends to ramble in too many directions at times experiencing verbus interruptis.

The General

Quote from: eeieeyeoh on January 14, 2014, 03:16:59 PM
Looking forward to podcast General. Hope it becomes regular.
Thanks.
I am planning on making it a monthly podcast.
The first episode is already in the can and awaiting upload.

McPhallus

I'll check it out just to hear what you sound like.

I know nothing whatsoever about guitars, but it's always interesting to hear what an oldschool poster sounds like outside the forum.

MV/Liberace!

Episode 1 of The Fret Files is now posted here.

The podcast's RSS feed:  http://www.ufoship.com/?feed=rss2&cat=13

The Fret Files on iTunes:  TBA

eddie dean

Listening now.....Cool vibe.
I'm completely hooked. Nice job Eric!

BTW the buddy holly story is one of my favorite  flicks.
Gary busey did a good job.  Its hard to watch now, without thinking about his cocaine & dog story. :)

analog kid

If intro music is The General I'm giving up playing the guitar for juggling bowling pins.

The General

Quote from: eddie dean on January 15, 2014, 08:46:17 PM
Listening now.....Cool vibe.
I'm completely hooked. Nice job Eric!
Thanks! 
The audio is a little funny in spots, I think I went overboard with the compression.
I'll figure it out for the next episode.

Quote from: analog kid on January 15, 2014, 08:47:53 PM
If intro music is The General I'm giving up playing the guitar for juggling bowling pins.
Ha ha.  Thanks.
All the music in this episode indeed features me on guitar.
Most of it is my former band, 'The Satellite 4.'
Future episodes might have different stuff. Don't know yet.

analog kid

Quote from: The General on January 15, 2014, 08:50:35 PM
Ha ha.  Thanks.

I don't normally like to listen to good blues players, because I get discouraged and can't touch the guitar for a week. It's some very sophisticated playing though. But I'm getting off topic.

MV/Liberace!

episode 1 is a home run, general.  i didn't even listen to it prior to posting because i knew it would be awesome.  nicely done, man.

MV/Liberace!

Thanks! 
The audio is a little funny in spots, I think I went overboard with the compression.

that's my fault.  i ran the audio through a multi-band compressor after eric sent it to me, not realizing he'd already compressed it.  working on fixing it...

eddie dean

Thanks! 
I'll figure it out for the next episode.
Ha ha.  Thanks.

I'm confident you will make the appropriate adjustments.
You have a Tom Hartman vibe going on.  Not an insult. Relaxed and chill, perfect for the subject matter.

heater

This Rocks!  I know nothing about guitars but love listening to someone that knows their stuff and of course you sound great.

The General

Quote from: eddie dean on January 15, 2014, 09:13:30 PM
I'm confident you will make the appropriate adjustments.
You have a Tom Hartman vibe going on.  Not an insult. Relaxed and chill, perfect for the subject matter.
Ha ha.  Thanks.  I'm just being me. Trying not to get all tongue tied.

If it comes off like I'm doing a show in my bath robe from a La-Z-Boy chair,
I will have done what I set out to do.  No need to get worked up about guitars.

The General

Quote from: themudking on January 15, 2014, 09:40:46 PM
This Rocks!  I know nothing about guitars but love listening to someone that knows their stuff and of course you sound great.
Thanks Curtis!  I listen to you guys and I don't know anything about tech.  Funny how that works.  I just enjoy listening to you guys, regardless of subject matter.

onan

Nice goin' there General... your wife is awesome.

The General

Quote from: onan on January 16, 2014, 02:16:08 AM
Nice goin' there General... your wife is awesome.
Indeed.  I married way, way up.

MV/Liberace!

i've uploaded another copy of the show, this time with less volume compression, so it should sound better.

The General

Quote from: MV on January 16, 2014, 10:11:16 AM
i've uploaded another copy of the show, this time with less volume compression, so it should sound better.
Thank yeeew.  Next time around I'll just let you compress it.

First show was awesome!

Here's a question: how do you feel about using insta-set on CA glue when gluing in new frets? I've had someone tell me that it's better to let the glue cure by itself. Someone else told me to just spray it so the glue cures before the frets can pop up.

The General

Quote from: guildnavigator on January 16, 2014, 11:12:16 AM
First show was awesome!

Here's a question: how do you feel about using insta-set on CA glue when gluing in new frets? I've had someone tell me that it's better to let the glue cure by itself. Someone else told me to just spray it so the glue cures before the frets can pop up.
Great question, I'll cover it in the next episode, thanks!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on January 16, 2014, 11:13:43 AM
Great question, I'll cover it in the next episode, thanks!

and that's how you handle this shit, folks.

eeieeyeoh

Great podcast show and format Eric. Monthly sounds like a full moon event. Hopefully other shows will fill in the quarters and new moon phases. You certainly chose a limitless topic. Nothing para or normal about it.

Hopefully kids in future will better protect the foundation of the listening experience. I have no idea how my ears escaped damage after the abuse which I didn't care about way back when. It just seemed fun then. Took decades to discover and own the microphones w/the stability of numerical values to measure how much damage I did, and turned out not much or anything at all. Perhaps another miracle of life and ability to heal. However that topic is so vast of things already scientifically defined, I don't even know where to begin.

:)

The General

Quote from: eeieeyeoh on January 16, 2014, 02:32:13 PM
Great podcast show and format Eric. Monthly sounds like a full moon event. Hopefully other shows will fill in the quarters and new moon phases. You certainly chose a limitless topic. Nothing para or normal about it.

Hopefully kids in future will better protect the foundation of the listening experience. I have no idea how my ears escaped damage after the abuse which I didn't care about way back when. It just seemed fun then. Took decades to discover and own the microphones w/the stability of numerical values to measure how much damage I did, and turned out not much or anything at all. Perhaps another miracle of life and ability to heal. However that topic is so vast of things already scientifically defined, I don't even know where to begin.

:)
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. 
My ears escaped many years of abuse unscathed (so far) as well.
I'm hoping it stays that way.