• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The ban on incandescent bulbs

Started by Sambo, January 04, 2014, 03:17:44 PM

Sambo

Are they banned yet where you are?

I don't care about the ban so much as the cfl alternative is a toxic nightmare, and LEDs haven't come down in price enough yet.

Why was unleaded fuel phased out?

Juan

I bought a lifetime supply of 100-watt bulbs while they were available and cheap. I just can't read under those CFLs. 

MV/Liberace!

here in missouri, you can buy as many incandescent bulbs as you want.

onan

Quote from: MV on January 04, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
here in missouri, you can buy as many incandescent bulbs as you want.

Yeah I just saw an interview at a local home depot. The guy said "people are coming in and clearing out the shelves!? We have a storeroom full of em, we just keep restocking the shelves."

incandescent bulbs are still being shipped into the country. Just not being manufactured here, the same way you no longer buy TV's made in the US.

Yeah, but misinformation, fear and ignorance are very powerful motivators, don'tchaknow?

Yorkshire pud

It isn't illegal to sell incandescent bulbs here; BUT they tend only to be available at commercial electrician supplies. Pain in the arse are the alternative..I know they're getting better and supposed to last longer, but still not bright enough in my view (geddit, view? Oh never mind)

Unleaded; Cats don't run with leaded petrol, it kills them. Cats fitted allegedly to stop kids being made stupid with the lead in petrol. The cynical say it was to ensure the market price was lifted and kept up for the precious metals within cats.

However. Japan has never had leaded petrol and their engines have always been designed to run on unleaded.

I should add too; cats are power sapping devices. So the engine is less efficient. So the manufacturers spend billions on advanced engine management systems, injector timings, in fact everything from where the fuel goes in, to where the CO2 comes out. However, they still use more fuel than they need to. Some FAR more. Which is fine if you're not spending a lot on it.

McPhallus

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 04, 2014, 05:24:00 PM
Some FAR more. Which is fine if you're not spending a lot on it.

Which you just might be, especially if you live in CA and don't have the option of using aftermarket.  Luckily, here in Illinois aftermarket cats are allowed, which is luckily since my car has three of them.

McPhallus

Quote from: Sambo on January 04, 2014, 03:17:44 PM
Are they banned yet where you are?

I don't care about the ban so much as the cfl alternative is a toxic nightmare, and LEDs haven't come down in price enough yet.

Why was unleaded fuel phased out?

Cree bulbs are around $15 each and about as bright as regular bulbs.  I actually prefer the whitish light to the yellow of incandescent.

John OTT made several studies on lights, their effect on plants and animals. Cool fluorescents and balanced spectrum fluorescents are ok but 'warm' fluorescents caused cancer. I get headaches from these damn compact  jobs and have stocked up on those blueish colored incandescent . I use the CFL ones but I have one of the blue ones and a blacklight where I spend 90% of my time. Seems to work to balance things. I have LED light over my computer. I am running a bunch of CFL's right now as I have several citrus trees, date palms and avocados that would not survive this cold. Besides DUKE power gave out cases of CFL's twice. These don't seem quite as bad as the GE ones as far as color. One other thing it is nearly impossible for me to tell the difference between black and navy blue socks under these CFL's .It is really a matter of the phosphors in the tubes. There are ones that are made correctly but they are $9 to $10 each. There are OTT branded. Too much $$$. LED's will be nice but the price needs to come down for sure.

Sambo

In a rooming house I once shared we had a den and no one used it. It put some plant and aquarium 2ft tubes in there, and a couple plants, and people wouldn't leave. Especially in winter.

Those LEDs are supposed to be as close to fire without the energy drain of incandescents.

Some people theorize that the light that best mimics fire or sun is the best light for us. Take it a step further and you might want to adjust both types of light accordingly to your lifestyle and sleeping habits

DanTSX

This lightbulb thing is bullshit.

You want to use CFL's or LEDs then go ahead.

I'm paying my electric bill.  I want my damn filament bulbs

steelbot

I own 3 Philips hue led lights - WiFi controllable - supposedly last 15 years or more - and they're great - 9 watts I believe of power used, and their normal incandescent setting is by far just as natural as a 60 watt bulb.  I'll take em any day if they don't get hot can be changed colors and will reasonably replace all my light bulbs - of which they've got smaller bulbs now ready for sale.  Bulbs are expensive, 59.99 each but they're awesome.  I did a review of them longtime ago - but still they're nice.