Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 14904 times)

Re: Documentaries
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Lyndon-Johnson-Pulling-Dogs-Poster/dp/B005F5G4NW

At Amazon!

Price:   $9.99 + $6.99 shipping
Only 3 left in stock.

Everyone knows who is responsibile. Dogs know it.
If Johnson wanted the Presidency he could've destroyed Kennedy with JFK's philandering. I read that General Dynamics used same philandering to blackmail JFK into choosing their plane design over a competitor.

« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
If Johnson wanted the Presidency he could've destroyed Kennedy with JFK's philandering. I read that General Dynamics used same philandering to blackmail JFK into choosing their plane design over a competitor.
And LBJ could've used the JFK drug use in addition to his philandering (LBJ might be hesitant to go there due to his own issues). Even if it started due to a bad back the populace, back then, wasn't very forgiving of junkies and it is quite clear that JFK was using amphetamines, narcotics, etc.

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
it is quite clear that JFK was using amphetamines, narcotics, etc.

It was surely Kennedy's repeated drug-fueled rampages of insanity that encouraged the splinter cabal within the Secret Service to consider Johnson's plan as a rational one. Obviously some of them had to have known, and been willing to have been silent in complicity.

What would the alternative to whacking him have been? I can just see the headlines: "Former President Kennedy Admitted To Meth Rehab." Did they even have meth rehab in the sixties? 'Cause, they sure as shootin' had meth.

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
It was surely Kennedy's repeated drug-fueled rampages of insanity that encouraged the splinter cabal within the Secret Service to consider Johnson's plan as a rational one. Obviously some of them had to have known, and been willing to have been silent in complicity.

What would the alternative to whacking him have been? I can just see the headlines: "Former President Kennedy Admitted To Meth Rehab." Did they even have meth rehab in the sixties? 'Cause, they sure as shootin' had meth.

Yup, the good stuff too. pharmaceutical grade  amphetamines.

btw my speech recognition software is retarded!!
This is what it typed when I said "amphetamines":
and feta means
and said it means
 I'm finna means
Am fine it means
  >:(

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »
I had the same problem: I said "Miracle Max," and the damn thing kept spitting out "Billy Crystal."

Get it? Billy... Crystal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Jacobson

Dubbed "Dr. Feelgood", Jacobson was known for his "miracle tissue regenerator" shots, which consisted of amphetamines, animal hormones, bone marrow, enzymes, human placenta, painkillers, steroids, and multivitamins.

« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia Muckraker
John F. Kennedy first visited Jacobson in September 1960, shortly before the 1960 presidential election debates.[9] Jacobson was part of the Presidential entourage at the Vienna summit in 1961, where he administered injections to combat severe back pain. Some of the potential side effects included hyperactivity, impaired judgment, nervousness, and wild mood swings. Kennedy, however, was untroubled by FDA reports on the contents of Jacobsonís injections and proclaimed: "I donít care if itís horse piss. It works."[10] Jacobson was used for the most severe bouts of back pain.[11] By May 1962, Jacobson had visited the White House to treat the President thirty-four times.[12][13]
Hell's bells, it's even sourced. Wiki old school!

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
I just watched this on PBS and it was great. Death and the Civil War on American Experience:

Edit: I cannot tell if the link is there because all I see is a big blank area. It is available on YouTube for anyone who is interested. And here is a written intro/description of the film:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/introduction/death-introduction/

« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
I just saw "Dreams of a Life", the Joyce Vincent story.

I think this is one of the best examples of a sociopath I've seen. 

This woman's body was found in her apartment 3 years after she died... She had multiple groups of friends all of whom knew her by a different name, so nobody reported her missing...  FOR 3 YEARS!  This is a really sad and fascinating watch.

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:38 PM »
Lovely thread. I recommend anything posted by Vice on YouTube.

Just notices the URL thread ends with "Pies"... makes me hungry....

Video title and opening statement are deceptive as fuck.  Nah dude, you're not smoking weed with the President of Uruguay.  You're smoking weed in front of the President of Uruguay.  Please be more specific next time.

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »

Even though it may have been stolen from Bill Hicks (some of Denis's material IMHO was), this is the version I remember...

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2014, 02:26:12 AM »

This woman's body was found in her apartment 3 years after she died... She had multiple groups of friends all of whom knew her by a different name, so nobody reported her missing...  FOR 3 YEARS!  This is a really sad and fascinating watch.

It sounds interesting, but all I can find online is trailers.   Link?  Or did you watch the DVD?

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
It sounds interesting, but all I can find online is trailers.   Link?  Or did you watch the DVD?

Its on netflix, I think.  There are many, shall we say, foreign sites where you can stream as well.

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
I just watched this on PBS and it was great. Death and the Civil War on American Experience:

Edit: I cannot tell if the link is there because all I see is a big blank area. It is available on YouTube for anyone who is interested. And here is a written intro/description of the film:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/introduction/death-introduction/

This series is on my netflix playlist. Looking forward to it!

I'm part way through the PSB series Ken Burns "The West". It's pretty good so far, but
It's heartbreaking how the young USA treated the native populations.

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
Disturbing doc: "Terms and Conditions May Apply"

Anyone ever read the T&C when you download an free app or program? It's horrifying what is  in the fine print these days! The vast majority just click ok to accept the terms. Who has time to read endless pages of legalese.
One company added a "soul" clause to see how many people actually read them.  thousands of people forfeited their immortal souls!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/15/gamestation-we-own-your-soul/1
http://www.out-law.com/page-10929

We are so fucked!

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
"Brother's Keeper" was a good documentary and movie. And pretty bizarre.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103888/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 03:38:41 AM »

I haven't watched this documentary yet, and I know she was popular, but check this story out:  http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/us/ohio-mummified-body/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
"What the Dambusters Did Next"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3763026/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Awesome show and hearing some of the stories of the people involved (on both sides) was excellent. Lots of history that I was not familiar with.

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:29 PM »
"What the Dambusters Did Next"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3763026/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Awesome show and hearing some of the stories of the people involved (on both sides) was excellent. Lots of history that I was not familiar with.

They didn't happen to talk about Wing Commander Gibson's dog, did they?

Trigger... that's what they called him.

Retrospectively.

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
These are excellent:

The Imposter was indeed excellent. I had no idea what it was and just watched it out O the blue, so the surprise was great. I'll check out the other one you mentioned.

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
I suggest Sound City.

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
I suggest Sound City.

YES!
Very good doc about So Cal studio with an epic sounding live drum room and unique Neve 8028 mixing console!

« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »
Great doc!

http://tiny-themovie.com/

Haven't watched the doc, but I find the subject increasingly offensive. First of all, the tiny house movement has been aggressively pushed for the last ten years on sites like boingboing, etc. which by definition means it's the purview of over-or-unnecessarily-educated upper middle classers; in other words people who really don't need to scale dawn in terms of room or finances and who instead are attracted to the novelty of the trend; note that many of these small houses cost upwards of $15/20,000 which in this economy will buy you a three storey 3000sq ft house with property in just about any rust belt city.

Secondly, I think that by making this sort of thing likeable or cute or desirable it's little more than a way of conditioning the public to have lower expectations. Not to get all Alex Jones about it, but I think there's plenty of precedent for that point of view. Of course, when we're all living in micro-apartments none of them will be as nicely outfitted as these tiny houses we see online... think more along the lines of a honeycomb from which we wake and shuffle to the assemly line and to which we return 12 hrs later to collapse to sleep. Good times. 

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
They didn't happen to talk about Wing Commander Gibson's dog, did they?

Trigger... that's what they called him.

Retrospectively.
You can still see the real version on t.v. with the affectionately named dog still in it, sometimes. Though Obama might've had it banned. The reality was far different from the movie and what the division and people did after is really awesome and worth watching. Especially the interviews with the remaining survivors (on both sides) of various raids.

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
note that many of these small houses cost upwards of $15/20,000 which in this economy will buy you a three storey 3000sq ft house with property in just about any rust belt city.
True but then you'd have to put up with feral cats, dogs and children.  The occasional meth lab explosion.  Gun fire.  Neighbors who have been ground down to a stub of a human from years of poverty induced stress, lack of health care, alcohol and drug abuse, etc.

I'd take my $20,000 house and build it on a big tract of land out in the boondocks.  Quieter and less likely to get ventilated by a gun purchased at a gun and knife show.

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »
You can still see the real version on t.v. with the affectionately named dog still in it, sometimes. Though Obama might've had it banned. The reality was far different from the movie and what the division and people did after is really awesome and worth watching. Especially the interviews with the remaining survivors (on both sides) of various raids.

Gee, that Obama, eh?

« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
I watched Dear Zachary last night. I felt sick to my stomach after that one. It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up today. Just a horribly depressing story.