• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dark Matter Network Content

Started by Textor, November 22, 2013, 10:44:43 AM

cweb

I think some hosts are too afraid they might get blunt negative feedback. Sure, some of the criticisms posted on here aren't exactly constructive, but I would think they'd like to know exactly what people think without a filter.

I gave several DMRN shows a shot and very very few of them stuck with me. The fact of the matter (heh) is that it's like any other fledgling network-- a few good shows and a whole lotta filler. Paranormal has been done to death and unless you have an intelligent or interesting approach to it, people have stopped caring.

One complaint I have always had about Church is that he "doesn't have notes." I get that he wants the conversation to be friendly and flow, but sometimes in real life you hit awkward points in the conversation that can either kill it or make it boring. There are other reasons his show has declined, but there's a thread for that. I'm guessing Jimmy stopped posting here (even before the Coast stuff) because he didn't like the direction his thread was going in. Well, somewhere beneath the silliness is valuable criticism.

Basically if you're a host and you can't take it, you probably avoid this place and go to one of those sites where everyone hugs each other and talks about "how nice everyone is here." Frankly, I couldn't stand to be in an echo chamber where everyone smiles and happily gulps down each other's shit. Unless I was paying $9.95 to watch it.

WildCard

Quote from: DanTSX on November 23, 2014, 12:36:26 AM
That Jimmy Chunga Church guy is pretty good.  I know you guys turned on him after he didn't get on his knees and become rumpswaber for the Obama, or liberal causes.
Reported. 

malliard

this is a rough place for sure, i seem recall reading some of my worst reviews on this site.....

b_dubb

I've gone back and listened to the Dark Matter w/ Chunga and it isn't THAT bad.  I think it was mostly that everyone expected what they'd gotten before and the DM show wasn't anything like it.

DanTSX

Quote from: b_dubb on November 23, 2014, 07:08:28 PM
I've gone back and listened to the Dark Matter w/ Chunga and it isn't THAT bad.  I think it was mostly that everyone expected what they'd gotten before and the DM show wasn't anything like it.

The dude is on every night too.

It's near impossible to be "the next Art" every weeknight.

You don't have to be a "fadernaut" but you can just sit back and enjoy the show and the fact that it isn't Jorch.

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on November 23, 2014, 07:08:28 PM

Quote from: DanTSX on November 23, 2014, 07:10:26 PM

The dude is on every night too.

It's near impossible to be "the next Art" every weeknight.

You don't have to be a "fadernaut" but you can just sit back and enjoy the show and the fact that it isn't Jorch.

I think you guys are talking about two different people.

b_dubb is talking about Chunga from the New Faux GIS.

DanTSX is talking about Jimmy Church.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: malliard on November 23, 2014, 07:03:13 PM
this is a rough place for sure, i seem recall reading some of my worst reviews on this site.....

Yes, and mine was one of the roughest, for that I apologize. After listening to many similar shows, your program is better than the majority of those I've heard on DMRN, and you have clearly gotten better as you've gone along.  Well done, and sorry for being a "shoot from the hip" dick.

DanTSX

Quote from: jazmunda on November 23, 2014, 07:18:42 PM
I think you guys are talking about two different people.

b_dubb is talking about Chunga from the New Faux GIS.

DanTSX is talking about Jimmy Church.

No, I purposely called Jimmy Church, Jimmy Chunga Church because he is new and edgy and has a cool haircut for a 40-something. 

Its so I can make fun of Jimmy Chunga well over a year since the last time I even looked that dork up, as well as make fun of Jimmy Church (who I happen to enjoy listening to).

So you are saying that Chunga has his own show now?

Who DOESN'T have their own show?  Jazmunda is on every show but Oprah it seems.  Even the gabcast, which I enjoy.

cweb

Quote from: DanTSX on November 23, 2014, 07:59:00 PM
Jazmunda is on every show but Oprah it seems.
Hm, good point. Let's start a petition to get Jaz on Oprah.

That bitch is winding down.

malliard

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 23, 2014, 07:34:10 PM

Yes, and mine was one of the roughest, for that I apologize. After listening to many similar shows, your program is better than the majority of those I've heard on DMRN, and you have clearly gotten better as you've gone along.  Well done, and sorry for being a "shoot from the hip" dick.
no it helped duke... truthfully.
and my goal was to be peaking went art came back which is still months away... its a craft... not all of have 30 years in the business or sit in real studios... so its a labor of love... of course we dont get paid either which makes it all that more tough to get ahead...

WildCard

jimmy chunga
b_dubb in the the water
confusion ensues

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 23, 2014, 07:34:10 PM
After listening to many similar shows, your program is better than the majority of those I've heard on DMRN, and you have clearly gotten better as you've gone along. 
+1
mallard, have you read any of those Dark Matter threads? Art was tryin to be nice. We're not vicious, we're rabid.

malliard

no i havent read any of those old posts, kinda like yesterday's newspaper.

WildCard

Quote from: malliard on November 24, 2014, 01:47:36 PM
no i havent read any of those old posts, kinda like yesterday's newspaper.
I hear ya.
But you know what I mean. Look at how we treat Art. And we're fans.

malliard

i hear you... i had to laugh went people said i was then noory, cause from the people around here means i am doing something right and if i could make 4 million a year... life would be good... well beyond good but we just say good for now

Quote from: zeebo on October 11, 2014, 01:23:02 AM
This does get me thinking, someone does need to do a show on all those weird 70's and early 80's kids shows.  Remember H.R. Puff n' StuffLiddsvilleLand of the LostSigmund and the Sea Monster?  ... I mean I wanna know what the hell was going on at that time to spawn all these weird shows.
Oooo I know! I was there. It was the drugs. You forgot another one..Lost In Space - The Great Vegetable Rebellion, complete with a talking carrot and a purple llama.
So tonight's moral of the story is.. Just say no to bad drugs.
These same burned-out druggies are college professors today.

Anyway, all these second rate paranormal shows must have a debilitating effect on Art, where he just might say fuck it all. It's all been done to death already, and forget his comeback in 15.

WildCard

Quote from: DanTSX on November 23, 2014, 12:36:26 AM
Are those husband and wife dingdongs that wrote Dave's cookbook still on Dark Matter?

I can't listen to them.  The old lady loves to go on about pot and witches, and the old guy is 19.5* in another dimension half the time. ( or napping).  Maybe they should sub for George.
Heh. Bellgab shout-out.

Paraphrasing Nancy, "We don't talk about pot and witches. Have I ever said anything about pot and witches? We should have a pot-smoking witch."
LMAO!

Then she talks about how pot is really good for the aches and pains old people get.

Quote from: WildCard on December 20, 2014, 11:19:20 AM
Heh. Bellgab shout-out.

Then she talks about how pot is really good for the aches and pains old people get.
She finally said something that I can agree with. On the other hand, poor Bill, the henpecked bastard.

DanTSX

Quote from: WildCard on December 20, 2014, 11:19:20 AM
Heh. Bellgab shout-out.

Paraphrasing Nancy, "We don't talk about pot and witches. Have I ever said anything about pot and witches? We should have a pot-smoking witch."
LMAO!

Thats EXACTLY what I am talking about lol.

The other night I was cooking for the office party and I had DMRN future show or whatever it was (NO I WASN'T USING YOUR BUTTER-INJECTED RECIPIES NANCE) and she was complaining about people complaining about their show.   I almost felt a little guilty for my subtle jabs here ever since they came out as the ghostwriters for Jorch's comically bad cookbook.

Then they mellowed out a bit.  But I swear I could hear the subtle, gentle burble of a water pipe bubbling away. 

Juan

I hear some interesting things from Bill.  Of course, he rarely gets a complete thought out.  The really horrid show is Paranormal Central. 

qaddisin

Quote from: Juan on December 21, 2014, 07:35:17 PM
The really horrid show is Paranormal Central. 

Did anyone else get an uncomfortable, this can't be really happening feeling when they first caught that program? I honestly thought it was a parody of a parody of C2C the first time I heard it. When I realized that they actually take themselves seriously, I couldn't listen anymore.

DanTSX

Quote from: qaddisin on December 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Did anyone else get an uncomfortable, this can't be really happening feeling when they first caught that program? I honestly thought it was a parody of a parody of C2C the first time I heard it. When I realized that they actually take themselves seriously, I couldn't listen anymore.

I just wait and wait and wait for them to stop sniffing their balls and get to the paranormal talk.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DanTSX on December 21, 2014, 11:24:42 PM

I just wait and wait and wait for them to stop sniffing their balls and get to the paranormal talk.

How can I hear this pile of shite?

Juan

DMRN on Sunday evening. They also have a TV show that they claim is on the Fox network. They don't know the difference between a network and a local affiliate.  The host says he reads Facebook all day to find out what the real news is.

Website paranormal central.net

cweb

Quote from: Juan on December 22, 2014, 04:24:25 AM
DMRN on Sunday evening. They also have a TV show that they claim is on the Fox network. They don't know the difference between a network and a local affiliate.  The host says he reads Facebook all day to find out what the real news is.

The show is posted on Youtube. In addition to the distorted audio, soft focus, and under-lit set, the content isn't so great. And the hosts come off like they're trying to either sell cars or give stump speeches.

Quote from: Juan on December 22, 2014, 04:24:25 AM

Not that I listen but that tv show probably gives them more exposure than anyone on DMRN.

MV/Liberace!

I found them on yt last night a few minutes after I asked the question. Possibly some of the worst shit I've ever come across. They play 90 seconds of some song before they even start talking, and five minutes into the show the host was STILL talking about all of the various ways to hear the show or how to visit their website, blah blah blah. He also has some sort of speech impediment that reminds me of Barney Frank. And the set lighting left me saying to myself, "What the fuck?"

So, let me understand... THIS is the content that is supposed to serve as a placeholder until Art comes back? I hope Art dumps all of this amateur hour silliness and just plays 24/7 repeats of his own show when he comes back. I have no interest in hearing any of this other shit on his stream.

wr250

Quote from: MV on December 22, 2014, 08:54:22 AM
So, let me understand... THIS is the content that is supposed to serve as a placeholder until Art comes back? I hope Art dumps all of this amateur hour silliness and just plays 24/7 repeats of his own show when he comes back. I have no interest in hearing any of this other shit on his stream.

no batemans show, dark city,should be the placeholder for arts show. give bateman a listen,you wont regret it.

qaddisin

Although I honestly haven't listened to DMRN very much in the past 6 months, there are a few gems scattered about in its programming. Dark City (of course), Brian Alvarez's After Dark, Howard Hughes' The Unexplained and James Swagger's Capricorn Radio are the best DMRN has to offer, and Michio Kaku's Exploration and Seth Shostak's Big Picture Science are also quality programs. Future Theater would be a decent program if they could refrain from being so damned scatterbrained (I could overlook the fact that they have voices for print if they had the ability to stay on track for more than five minutes). The rest of it ain't fit for man nor beast.

cweb

Quote from: MV on December 22, 2014, 08:54:22 AM
He also has some sort of speech impediment that reminds me of Barney Frank. And the set lighting left me saying to myself, "What the fuck?"
Ha! I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a Tim & Eric sketch.

For me, the best situation would be Art live + his repeats (like you mentioned) mixed in with Dark City and The Unexplained. Those two shows have been the highlights of DMRN forever.

It does make me wonder if Art gets up to July, listens to DMRN, and has Keith "clear the schedule." Which would make the wish of 24/7 Art come true...