• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is Bellgab now doomed?

Started by DickyC, November 05, 2013, 02:57:19 PM

Quote from: Sardondi on November 13, 2013, 03:51:59 PM
So I see no future here. And I keep asking myself what the point is of my being here.

Jesus.  Is that really how you feel? 

I'll miss you if you decide to leave.  But that's a decision that's up to you.  I can tell you that I've enjoyed your posts--even the novelettes. ;)
I hope you take onan's advice and just take a break.

I'm a bleeding heart living in the middle of hard-hearted zealots.  You helped me remember that conservatives have a sense of humor. 
Besides, who's gonna' smell out all those "Lillies" to come??  It gets scary here sometimes.

Hope it's not goodbye... :(

PS:  Leave mv some contact info just in case the, you know, the bed discovery thing happens...We'll want you to know the troof....

lonevoice

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 13, 2013, 06:30:20 PM
You people better stay or else I'll have nowhere to lurk. Quitters. Next time Gnoory and I get our PMs you better freekin still be here bitching or
aldous burbank, this is all your fault!  And I blame jazmunda. 

So I see no future here. And I keep asking myself what the point is of my being here.

This isn't exactly compelling incentive to stay, but I'd miss you terribly if you were gone. I totally understand the need to step back and take a break, though. But losing your insightful posts forever? That would be tough.

Lots of unique and funny/brilliant/insightful people here. That's what keeps me coming back, even when they are sometimes drowned out by posts with a lot less finesse.

Cynnie

Of course bellgab has a future ..jesus , we're here because we love art bell and how he conducts an interview..that hasnt changed at all .
Luckily we have art kicking around and posting here and there ..
I love the man and i love talking to people who love the man.
Am i disappointed because dark matter blew up in our faces ? Fuck yes..man im bummed as hell .
But after i mourn a bit i'm still going to be back here ..and i expect all of ya'll to be here too

Sardondi

I need to apologize for being a tiresome twit. Occasionally I think out loud on the page as it were. I'm not writing for posterity. But it strikes me that more than once recently I could be accused of acting like a drama queen. It comes off as the forum equivalent of climbing to a tall building and saying "I'm jumping! I mean it. I'm really going this time......I'm serious. Better tell me how much you love me unless you want me to take a leap." It's a good way to make people say, "Jeez, leave already, asshole." And they're right: Stay or leave, just shut up about it and do whatever I'm gonna do.

So I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off like I was begging for love on the ledge. I truly like this place and the people here. I just really am having a difficult time justifying being here. It all springs from the fact that, in case I haven't already made it abundantly clear, I'm so pissed at Art Bell I can't see straight. The selfish, childish, excuse-making asshole. 

McPhallus

You're one of the most balanced people here, Sardondi.  You and onan (although I don't always agree with him) bring a certain rationality to these parts that's sorely needed, especially during these strange days.  Just sayin'.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 13, 2013, 09:12:38 PM
I need to apologize for being a tiresome twit. Occasionally I think out loud on the page as it were. I'm not writing for posterity. But it strikes me that more than once recently I could be accused of acting like a drama queen. It comes off as the forum equivalent of climbing to a tall building and saying "I'm jumping! I mean it. I'm really going this time......I'm serious. Better tell me how much you love me unless you want me to take a leap." It's a good way to make people say, "Jeez, leave already, asshole." And they're right: Stay or leave, just shut up about it and do whatever I'm gonna do.

So I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off like I was begging for love on the ledge. I truly like this place and the people here. I just really am having a difficult time justifying being here. It all springs from the fact that, in case I haven't already made it abundantly clear, I'm so pissed at Art Bell I can't see straight. The selfish, childish, excuse-making asshole.

Cynnie

Eh, we all need to be loved offa the edge sometimes

Tiresome? Never.

The first stop on my journey through the stages of grief was the anger stage. There isn't anything you said that I didn't think or post. Now I'm at the 'meh' stage - I guess you could call it acceptance, but it's closer to indifference. I'm just not as invested as I once was. I hope Art gets his stream, but if he doesn't, I've already moved on.

However, having said that, I still derive great pleasure( most of the time) here on Bellgab because a disparate group of people, some of whom I like very much, were brought together by a shared dislike for what Noory did to C2C and the golden unicorn of Art's return. But unicorns are mythology, pure fantasy, impossible to capture. But the tangibles: Noory's latest malapropism, the sucky guests, and the threads that spring up out of interest or random thoughts are really enough to keep me interested because, even though Art may be gone, I spend more hours laughing over something witty or thinking about some profoundity someone posted or trying to add something meaningful to a conversation than I actually spent listening to his show. And that counts for a lot.

basswood

When Art was on GabCast, he and MV both commented on how little radio talent was out there broadcasting now. Art said "the paranormal deserves better." I agree with this, it is a broadcasting wasteland out there. Or waste-band if you will.

I think frustration with Noory is the surface reason many of us are here, but the real reason is that we are more interesting than what is out there right now. I think many of us are people that like to listen to others in many aspects of our lives. So where is talent worth listening to?

We know its not on the normal radio, although it was in the past.
We have had 6 weeks to learn its not on SiriusXM.
NPR and the BBC have locked themselves in a state of perpetual cloning themselves; no one has the guts to innovate.

A similar thing happened with TV in the 90s-the studios and TV networks squeezed out the talent, forced them to write jejune sitcoms and movies. But talent found a way, it found its way to cable TV and gave us Band of Brothers, the Sopranos, and then the gates were opened.

So I think as long as this void of talent in radio is out there, as long as corporate boardrooms are filled with people trying to make their own TMZ clones for their network, bellgab will be ok.

Exactly what would all these people supposedly be preventing the death of this site for? To what purpose? Hating on George has become truly pointless. He'll never change; there is no alternative; and in what to George must be a non-coincidence, through his own actions and inaction, and through Art's astounding self-immolation, George has actually come out of this whole mess looking much the bigger man that Art. George has come off more mature and professional than he ever has, and certainly moreso than Art.

And let's give credit where credit is due: George has answered the bell 5 nights a week, night after night, year after year. Art, through his own lack of self-control and giving in to impulse, has left George in a totally invulnerable position. The only thing that can knock George out now is his own Art-like self-destruction, by being found with a live boy or dead girl in his bed.

Nor is there any point to wondering about Art or following him. Art is over. For.e.ver. The truth is, Art hung it up about 1999, and has only played at coming back in fits and starts since then. If there were any doubts, Art erased them last week when he committed professional suicide, and did it in as silly and meaningless a way imaginable. I am still flabbergasted at the contempt Art showed everyone when he totally destroyed his reputation and any hope of a future in broadcasting. What broadcasting company would risk making a deal with Art now? (Okay, in 2 years...) Art Bell through his own conduct has shown he is unemployable in radio. He's proven he simply cannot be counted on to know his own mind for more than just a few weeks. That is a problem which is related more to psychology than employment. All he's capable of doing is hanging out in his ham shack and talking with 9-year-olds in Spitzbergen. It's long past time that we left Art alone.

Oh, this.  So much this.  Sardondi wins Bellgab.

Please don't go.

Glad you are staying.
[attachimg=1]

From what I have read here for the short time since I discovered this forum, It is far more than what the C2C common thread would be, a rather limited portal considering the galaxy of matters people discuss here. I have thoroughly enjoyed  and thanks to some found new music, movies I wanted to see, thoughts I had not thought. Books I have not read.
I really hate to see people feeling that that things are over. Heck, there is a lot more here than the angst of disappointment in AB and the general disgust with the mediocrity of C2C. This forum appears to cover so much more and allows all our diverse interests to find expression.

ItsOver

....I just really am having a difficult time justifying being here. It all springs from the fact that, in case I haven't already made it abundantly clear, I'm so pissed at Art Bell I can't see straight. The selfish, childish, excuse-making asshole.

You can't leave, Sardondi, who the hell else am I going to talk to about Pratt & Whitney?  ;)  Who's this Art Bell guy?

b_dubb

I predict that a giant asteroid covered with zombies and rogue nuclear missiles will crash into bellgab.com any second now

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on November 14, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
I predict that a giant asteroid covered with zombies and rogue nuclear missiles will crash into bellgab.com any second now
frikken asteroid zombies

ItsOver

Quote from: b_dubb on November 14, 2013, 09:47:40 AM

It'll actually be a trucker named "Jess," texting on a cellphone.  Damn cellphones.

Chine

It really is about balance, isn't it? After last night and even this morning...the posts, too much to a point. Had a meeting this morning. Walking past glistening water, tiki bars, sailboats docked. Heaven.  We live on the most gorgeous beaches. Truly paradise and my hubby has the day off and it's too insanely gorgeous today to pass up.  A Margarita toast! 

Time to take back all the happy horseshit I spouted yesterday, except about you leaving. I feel exactly the same way as your quote above, but for different reasons, mostly  for the herd mentality that is now engaged in active shushing, because you know, Art might read something unpleasant and not like us anymore. It may well be time to move on.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 14, 2013, 09:15:39 PM
Time to take back all the happy horseshit I spouted yesterday, except about you leaving. I feel exactly the same way as your quote above, but for different reasons, mostly  for the herd mentality that is now engaged in active shushing, because you know, Art might read something unpleasant and not like us anymore. It may well be time to move on.
Yep.  Wandering through the Art Quits thread is pure torture, full of inane responses feeding Art's misplaced belief that he is somehow in the right in this whole Sirius/C2C debacle.  Might as well rename the place Art Bell's Tiger Beat and be done with it.

Christ, I miss Eddie Coyle so much.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 14, 2013, 09:33:52 PM
Yep.  Wandering through the Art Quits thread is pure torture, full of inane responses feeding Art's misplaced belief that he is somehow in the right in this whole Sirius/C2C debacle.  Might as well rename the place Art Bell's Tiger Beat and be done with it.

Christ, I miss Eddie Coyle so much.

You and me both. I saw your comment on Tiger Beat (I get the reference, lol) and wondered where the like button was.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 14, 2013, 09:15:39 PM

how you can say this is beyond me.  have you seen some of the things people have said about art on this forum in the last week?  has any of it been removed?  no. 

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: MV on November 15, 2013, 12:49:08 AM
how you can say this is beyond me.  have you seen some of the things people have said about art on this forum in the last week?  has any of it been removed?  no.

I love how everyone sucks Arts dick when its convenient for them, then its right back to the hating...lame.

Quote from: MV on November 15, 2013, 12:49:08 AM

Check your PMs MV. I meant no disrespect to you or the forum. I enjoy this forum precisely because you let posts stand. This was something specific.

McPhallus

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on November 15, 2013, 01:11:23 AM
I love how everyone sucks Arts dick when its convenient for them, then its right back to the hating...lame.

Those same people would suck his balls the minute he came back.  They're obsessed fambois.

ItsOver

I see the kiddies have taken over the "Art Bell Quits DM" thread and are busy with their "Free AB" finger paintings.  Outside of this place, most folks are probably wondering who the hell is Art Bell and then going back to watching the Kardashians.  Is Eddie still banned?

[attachimg=1]

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ItsOver on November 15, 2013, 08:23:43 AM
I see the kiddies have taken over the "Art Bell Quits DM" thread and are busy with their "Free AB" finger paintings.  Outside of this place, most folks are probably wondering who the hell is Art Bell and then going back to watching the Kardashians.  Is Eddie still banned?

[attachimg=1]

The vibe around here has definitely changed. The influx of new members -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- is prompting longstanding members to consider leaving due to the new "ambiance." I'd hate to see any more losses.  I originally came for the commiseration of Noory's suckage, but I stayed for the people. I encountered some of the smartest and most interesting people here. 

The first and last time I'll ever use a hash tag #FreeEddieCoyle.