• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

shell88

Art, you give new depth and meaning to phrase high and dry.

HumanBeing

Quote from: WhiteCrow on November 05, 2013, 03:58:50 PM
Roswells crap

Mega-Roswells greeting was a terrible shot at marketing hahah
I cringed each time someone said it. Just zombies complying.. "Oh Duh Mega-Roswells Art!"... wtf give me a break.
Also the mega hyped video links each night to try and drive web traffic to your site... the majority of those videos came from sources.. well let's say they came from basically the national enquirer type smut mags just in the paranormal genre.
Except instead of the headlines such as "Elvis spotted alive in Utah"... the headline is "Eat a dick Art!".. "Serial Retiree retires.. again" and "Wtf dude... really?"
;D

ZomZom

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PM
Part of the reason for the last straw was a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse.

Over the weekend I was considering how Spooky Matter stacked up against Ghost to Ghost and I had actually concluded that it was a bit better.  Your banter with the female callers was especially good.

So you weren't happy with Spooky Matter? Perhaps you can chalk that up to not having enough time to carve a niche out on SiriusXM in only six weeks. Just don't be afraid to hang up and move on from a caller that is impossible to understand or someone with a dud of a story that cannot get to the point because they're hamming it up on the radio. It's not like that wasn't the case in past Ghost to Ghost shows, that's the great thing about open lines - it's a total gamble. Holding Dark Matter hostage with an ultimatum to SiriusXM, who were more than generous to you, is poor business and robs your loyal fanbase of entertainment that Noory et al could ever provide. 

311guy1

Art,
Why not do a podcast? You can stream it live, have conversations with guests and callers via Skype, and even have advertises if you want.take the No Age da podcast for example. They have no ads, take donations from listeners, whom they call producers because they support the show AND contribute, and they stream it live. They just celebrated their 6th year.

Times have changed Art. Piracy is unfortunately a problem, but if you give the peoe what try want, they will support YOU.

Jackstar

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PMI had no way of knowing about the streaming problems
before starting

It's called "research," brother. Also, "pirating" != "infringing," and you should know better by now.

no offense, but you are getting terrible advice. Call me.

midnight

"Part of the reason for the last straw was
a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse. I depend on and always have
open line talk radio, some of the best shows I ever did came from all of you NOT regular Guests."

If that is really the reason, then please listen.  Don't listen to one or two or a hundred posters.  Listen to MOST of us.  Spooky matter was FINE.  I'm not sure if you remember or not, but MOST open lines have lousy callers.  The really good ones are few and far between, but when they show up, it's like fishing--you catch the big one.  But in between those big catches it takes a lot of patience and sitting and just relaxing and enjoying the scenery.  And you have lots of scenery to enjoy--you have lots and lots of fans. 

And believe it or not,  I do not even care if you take callers or not.  I like to listen to you and the guest. Even if it's a lousy guest, (which i thought was rare) the way you handle it is what I like.  And I think I speak for others too.

Yes, I was dropped several times from the show.  "Oh, darn" was the worst I said about it.  The longest time was once for 10 to 15 minutes.  I went to the bathroom and got something to eat, and when I came back it was on again.  Certainly I was not upset.  And that only happened one time.

Think again, please, we want you back.

eddie dean

Part of the reason for the last straw was
a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse.

Thanks for posting here Art!

Also, please point out the member who posted this  so we can  "Take care of them" in a vaguely, not so lovable way.  :D

Quote from: DanTSX on November 05, 2013, 04:13:17 PM
This is ridiculous.

The show was six weeks

The callers were fine

The guests were fine.

Art was great

The technology worked great

What the fuck.

That's the worst part of the whole thing. The show was good. Art still had IT. I loved the ability to use the "Start Over" function in the app so i could start the show around 11pm, skip the commercials, etc. It was an overall really satisfying listening experience, which makes the abrupt end that much more frustrating.

HumanBeing

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 03:59:18 PM
How does Howard and his massive audience get along just fine on SXM?

Howard's audience is nowhere near the size people proclaim it to be. He's just very good at what he does. So people believe some of the shit he says.
I love his show. Have only been listening since around '02... but there is a lot to like and love about it.

dan7800

If I wanted to Retire I would have stayed Retired. I very much wanted to do the show or I simply would not
have started. I wanted to do the kind of show that you all wanted but with the base gone it really was impossible.
I love doing Radio, I really love it, but it has to be right. I had no way of knowing about the streaming problems
before starting, I do now see that there had been others:
http://siriusbuzz.com/art-bell-leaves-siriusxm.php

Maybe my heart was in it to much and I wanted it to be right. If we had done streaming until the problem was fixed
everything would have been fine. I am convinced that virtually nobody would have cancelled their vehical account
simply because we did what the Pirates were doing and streamed a legit make up WITH Sirius commercials only
until the problem was fixed for four hours on four days a Week. I think in the long run it would have increased their base.

All this said I am still open to going right back on if they will allow some make up for those who left because of the streaming
issues but this means until it is fixed.

Yes I have a NC, so either we make up or I have to stay off. It was a two Year contract and 75k was my big money. Trust me this was for love,
not money. I was only contracted for 3 Hours, I did 4 because I love it, not because I had to. Part of the reason for the last straw was
a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse. I depend on and always have
open line talk radio, some of the best shows I ever did came from all of you NOT regular Guests. I have always loved the truckers but that
just that was not going to be viable, it would not carry the show. If you listened closely I think you know I am right.

Art

We are a critical bunch. Everything is not roses. Your worst show was still 1000x better than what was already out there. Maybe hundreds had the streaming issue, but tens of thousands did not. Everyone here appreciated you as much as ever. I keep hearing that the base was gone. What base? You don't leave for ~10 years and have everyone reappear instantly. Create a new, smaller base.

Again, I ask why not do a 2 hour show if the callers are that bad? I thought they were just fine. Who cares about the pirated feeds? No matter what, they are going to happen. It means you are popular.

What an incredibly weak person.  I thought it was odd that he incessantly made reference to BellGab, and opinions levied by the malcontent fucking shut ins here...  The streaming nonsense is entirely bullshit, it's so clear.

Part of the reason for the last straw was a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse.

Quote from: 311guy1 on November 05, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
Art,
Why not do a podcast? You can stream it live, have conversations with guests and callers via Skype, and even have advertises if you want.take the No Age da podcast for example. They have no ads, take donations from listeners, whom they call producers because they support the show AND contribute, and they stream it live. They just celebrated their 6th year.

Times have changed Art. Piracy is unfortunately a problem, but if you give the peoe what try want, they will support YOU.

No compete clause. 2 years.

BillW50

Quote from: zeebo on November 05, 2013, 04:15:33 PM
Art thanks for posting, and trying to explain the situation.  I hope you can find a way to work things out.  In spite of all the angry posts here, I think most of us just want to have you back on the air someway/somehow.

Art never cared about us! All he cares about is himself! If you want to convince Art of anything, you have to convince him why it is good for Art. That is the only way!

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 03:10:18 PM

I am still open to patching this up, but not without some tip of the hat to those that left because of the streaming problem, we even offered
to pay for the streaming ourselves until it could be fixed. Anyway I am here so feel free to continue to cut me up and you can be
sure I am absorbing your anger.

Art

Again I am truly sorry to those who got caught in this and lost any money because you bought a radio or tried the NET.

Christ in a handbag, people. Could you be human for a moment and try to see his side and STOP cutting him up? He is not an Immortal All Knowing All Powerful Being. He is a real person, with real feelings and he IS trying his BEST and he DOES care, for fucksake! Just because you are a "fan" doesn't give you license to destroy somebody like this. Who *raised* some of you people?!?! My God.

Jackstar

Quote from: midnight on November 05, 2013, 04:21:19 PMSpooky matter was FINE.

QFT

I just didn't listen to it LIVE

because it was scary

Jackstar

Quote from: BattyBrooke on November 05, 2013, 04:24:57 PM
Christ in a handbag

I am interested in your ideas, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

DanTSX

Hey Art, I have a tougher time tuning in that Dope Noory than I had tuning in Dark Matter.  My MW radios are proven Dx sets that I'm sure you would be familiar with.

SatRadio is point and shoot.  Streaming apps make it even more brainless.

If you build an audience, a buzz, or some interest, they will come.

Nighthawk

Quote from: eddie dean on November 05, 2013, 04:21:43 PM
Thanks for posting here Art!

Also, please point out the member who posted this  so we can  "Take care of them" in a vaguely, not so lovable way.  :D

It was the navy porpoise

Jackstar

Quote from: DanTSX on November 05, 2013, 04:26:03 PM
If you build an audience, a buzz, or some interest, they will come.
And then you'll be here to complain about... wait, what was it again?

shell88

Quote from: BillW50 on November 05, 2013, 04:24:00 PM
Art never cared about us! All he cares about is himself! If you want to convince Art of anything, you have to convince him why it is good for Art. That is the only way!
Yes, and I must say most of humanity is that way, albeit famous personalities make a better show of leaving or justifying whatever it is they are up too.

DanTSX

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 04:22:40 PM
What an incredibly weak person.  I thought it was odd that he incessantly made reference to BellGab, and opinions levied by the malcontent fucking shut ins here...  The streaming nonsense is entirely bullshit, it's so clear.

Yes agree. 

dan7800

I am only 31 and I am already thinking about what a mans legacy is. Art, your legacy right now is a quitter. Get back on the air, work your butt off (doing classic Art) and you will start to gain your base back. If you leave for any amount of time, your core base will only erode. You have two choices

A) Do nothing and be labeled a quitter.
B) Call Sirius, say you are sorry and do a show tonight. Build your reputation back up. Do the show for a few years and ride off into the sunset with honor.

I have a PhD in Computer Science and teach at a major US university. Fixing streaming issues IS HARD. There are a million things that can and will go wrong. Either on the server or client end (or somewhere in between). Most people say things were ok.

Your shows got me through my dissertation and many late nights. I don't want to remember you like this.

HumanBeing

Quote from: For Whom the Bell Tolls on November 05, 2013, 04:05:45 PM
Art,
         I can't tell you how upset I am right now. I may be even more upset than yesterday when first hearing about this. I've spent about 575 for a radio,home boombox, car port ,and year subscription to LISTEN TO ONLY YOU. I'm far from wealthy and that is a HUGE amount for me and my family,but luckily the wife gave me the green light because she knew how much enjoyment I get from your show. Anything new in life is a work in progress as is your relationship with XM. There were bound to be bumps in the road,but we don't just bail. We make an HONEST effort to make things work. You've read this a million times already so I am not going to rehash that,but PLEASE...since you brought us into this relationship with XM you should HONESTLY work with them and come to some kind of compromise that works towards the type of program you need. If this turns out to be a long term issue I would understand a bit more. But to just bail and leave us in the rearview mirror without giving it your best shot after bringing us in is not right. DO THE RIGHT THING ART. If you want this to work, YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN there is no doubt in my mind. Collaboration as you know goes a long way. There is nothing here that can not be improved or fixed the way you need it to be to run the show you and we want. PLEASE at least try.
Thanks,
Dan

Damn dude.. feel sorry for the amount of money you spent investing in Art. That sucks.
Sadly Art doesn't give a shit about us. He solely wanted to kick C2C's ass and didn't care what it was going to take.
But the funny thing is he apparently had to do it in the first month... then if he deemed himself of failing Plan B would go into full effect ...make up a bullshit excuse but also make it sound as if he was going all in for his listeners hahaha... total over exaggeration of the problems.

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 05, 2013, 04:22:13 PM
Howard's audience is nowhere near the size people proclaim it to be. He's just very good at what he does. So people believe some of the shit he says.
I love his show. Have only been listening since around '02... but there is a lot to like and love about it.

Right, Art doesn't have anywhere near Howard's audience.

I apologize if this has already been posted ..

Hitler reacts to the news of Art Bell's departure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uR_7Vz6Duo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ZomZom

Quote from: midnight on November 05, 2013, 04:21:19 PM
And believe it or not,  I do not even care if you take callers or not.  I like to listen to you and the guest. Even if it's a lousy guest, (which i thought was rare) the way you handle it is what I like.  And I think I speak for others too.

Think again, please, we want you back.

This person speaks for me.

BattyBrooke

Lastly, these hateful posts are highly contradictory, you do know that, right? I mean, you are a fan of Art's because you love his show ...And now you hate him because he went off the air...And you didnt want that, because you're a fan..And you want to listen to his show....because you hate him...because he left...because you want him back...but you hate him. See the logic, or lack thereof? What in thee fuck? Half of you telling him to "man-up" etc are the biggest babies of them all.

DanTSX

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 04:27:04 PM
And then you'll be here to complain about... wait, what was it again?

Bubble Butt Noory.

I never complained about Dark Matter except that too many bellgabbers were stinking up the phone lines trying to get a sniff of Art's sack

The General

YOU changed the format.  It used to be unscreened open lines.
This time it was almost all pre-screened and the calls were initiated by your screener.
You sounded bored, Art.  You didn't sound excited.

Go back and listen to a 90's Ghost to Ghost and listen to your in-between call commentary.