• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

CRM 114

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 11:58:04 PM
no thanks. I'd love to hear Art again but there is absolutely no logical reason for SiriusXM to cave on this. Art made his bed.

more like he shit the bed.

phrodo

Well not happy with Art or Sirius rite now - so emailed Sirius and signed the above petition. Told Sirius they had within the week to resolve the issue or I would cancel my sub and return my new radio to WalMart.

But I SIRIUSLY hope Art and Sirius can come to an agreement.

Art, for all his talent, is a high strung, prima donna of the first order,  which is exactly why I refued to buy a subscription to xm/sirius. He quits at the drop of a hat, and tries to blame everyone else. The reality is, HE IS  a quitter.  No excuses, no BS; he is a quitter. He probably has the thinnest skin of anyone in the radio industry.

As  I said when he announced his big comeback: don't set your expectations too high because you very well May be disappointed. He should just stay retired this time. It's over.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: coaster on November 01, 2013, 01:55:18 PM
Seems like Sirius would lose a ton of money if they did what Art wanted.

...and it would start a precedence that would not be sustainable.  You know, Art could have asked for a steep discount on Sat Radios for DM listeners.  Even a period of giving away free ones.  Remember H Stern gave away hundreds of Sat Radios when he moved to SXM?

Snoreman

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 11:58:04 PM
no thanks. I'd love to hear Art again but there is absolutely no logical reason for SiriusXM to cave on this. Art made his bed.
I agree. I'm done kissing Art's flaky ass. Good night folks. This is my last post in BellGab.

Quote from: Snoreman on November 05, 2013, 12:02:01 AM
I agree. I'm done kissing Art's flaky ass. Good night folks. This is my last post in BellGab.

Same here.  Here's one for the road.  We had some good memories.  RIP Art, you fucking douche.

Midnight in the Desert

It's getting ugly... Holy shit, if we are going for midnight in the desert, let's go for the classic closing music too:

http://youtu.be/CLiLMboE9I8

dortmunder

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 05, 2013, 12:06:41 AM
It's getting ugly... Holy shit, if we are going for midnight in the desert, let's go for the classic closing music too:

Oh god! Now I'm really depressed.

maren

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 04, 2013, 11:49:10 PM

.../  Thing is, back in the am radio days, stations faded in and out all the time.  Art never quit because of that.  We have a few dropouts, a few pirates, and he quits.  (?)

And I remember him chuckling about the times he was pre-empted for sports games.  And that happened a lot.  It came with the territory and he took it in stride. 

Here's another thought - before Art came back, I really enjoyed listening to classic Coast shows and actively sought out rare shows. After this latest stunt, I really don't think i'll even have the stomach for that. For me at least, that's what ruining your legacy means.

littlechris

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 11:46:05 PM
I'm not sure that Art fully grasps how much damage he has done to his legacy tonight. Or maybe he just doesn't care amymore. Through all the other retirements and drama, Art's relationship with his audience remained. We could always, within the bounds of logic, rightfully blame someone else for Art retiring. But this is different. It's impossible to look at what happened and say "those bastards at SiriusXM really screwed Art." They didn't. Art had the exact show he said he wanted, but it wasn't good enough. He didn't have the patience to grow a new audience, and he exhibited a disturbing lack of respect for all of his longtime listeners who shelled out good money to listen to their favorite host again. He can spin it any way he wants, but it's a betrayal.

Ditto!!!
He loses ANY and ALL credibility about past gripes that he had with any and everybody he had beef with!! I honestly think Art is extremely bipolar and mentally unstable.

toastycoasty

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 05, 2013, 12:06:41 AM

Goodnight, America!

popple

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 11:46:05 PM
I'm not sure that Art fully grasps how much damage he has done to his legacy tonight. Or maybe he just doesn't care amymore. Through all the other retirements and drama, Art's relationship with his audience remained. We could always, within the bounds of logic, rightfully blame someone else for Art retiring. But this is different. It's impossible to look at what happened and say "those bastards at SiriusXM really screwed Art." They didn't. Art had the exact show he said he wanted, but it wasn't good enough. He didn't have the patience to grow a new audience, and he exhibited a disturbing lack of respect for all of his longtime listeners who shelled out good money to listen to their favorite host again. He can spin it any way he wants, but it's a betrayal.

Damn this reality :'(

Heather Wade

Quote from: maren on November 05, 2013, 12:10:25 AM
And I remember him chuckling about the times he was pre-empted for sports games.  And that happened a lot.  It came with the territory and he took it in stride.

The station I used to listen to picked up a distant Mexican station, but only during Art Bell.  Talk about annoying, but I put up with it because it was Art Bell.

Art, if you are reading this, please don't sweat the small stuff.  Your microphone is waiting.  The clock is ticking, sir.

Dammit.  I need another cookie.

toastycoasty

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 05, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
Here's another thought - before Art came back, I really enjoyed listening to classic Coast shows and actively sought out rare shows. After this latest stunt, I really don't think i'll even have the stomach for that. For me at least, that's what ruining your legacy means.

I agree, he has done some real damage to his reputation and legacy with this. Essentially he dropped his bundle over nothing.

I think I'll listen to some old shows for the nostalgia value, and of course, the DM shows that were because some were genuinely interesting.

Zenof

Not ONE inkling of a mention about Art on C2C... I don't know whether I should be angry or happy about that...

morphiaflow

Quote from: Seraphim27 on November 04, 2013, 11:44:52 PM
Hell yeah, I'd like to read it!

I don't know the backstory behind why we call George "Dave," by the way. Can someone enlighten me?

It's not letting me post the PDF. I'll have to figured something else out.

As for "Dave Noorie", over the summer before we knew what form Art's new show would take, members of this forum reached out to local radio stations to try and get someone in the industry who might know something to slip and give some inside info. One of the responses was along the lines of "Art Bell? Haven't heard much from him since Dave Noorie took over his show." It was quite the howler for a while and even Dave Noorie himself got in on the act....

Luna

I just started the petition and already recieved 21 signatures. That was so fast!! ^^

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/artbell/

maren

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 05, 2013, 12:12:09 AM

Ditto.  i wouldn't find the shows delightful any more.  If he comes back in some other incarnation I know I'd end up listening, but I know I'd be more critical of everything he did, and never be comfortable in believing he was really back.  It's like being cheated on again and again -- you lose the trust and almost anticipate the next time. 

What I find especially baffling is that he seemed to be so HAPPY.  That's what maybe makes me wonder if he got some disappointing ratings and stomped off to pout.  Tough.

wenck

Glad you guys seem to like the Downfall parody. I think it covers most of outrage spectrum.

I'm really down about what happened today, but not mad. In a way, I'm not all that surprised. Long live hot air!

Goodnight.

Quote from: Luna on November 05, 2013, 12:15:40 AM
*embaressed*
Please sign this petition and lets get Art Bell back!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/artbell/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/zv7y.jpg/

Count me out. He was back. He chose to leave yet again.

Wait and see if he is back this week. If not, DM was a throwback to the 90s and I'll miss chatting while it's live on here.

littlechris

Quote from: maren on November 05, 2013, 12:21:03 AM
Ditto.  i wouldn't find the shows delightful any more.  If he comes back in some other incarnation I know I'd end up listening, but I know I'd be more critical of everything he did, and never be comfortable in believing he was really back.  It's like being cheated on again and again -- you lose the trust and almost anticipate the next time. 

What I find especially baffling is that he seemed to be so HAPPY.  That's what maybe makes me wonder if he got some disappointing ratings and stomped off to pout.  Tough.

Absolutely!!! After this, even if Art came back, Id never see him the same as before. I really lost a lot of respect for the guy!!!!

23Skidoo

I began listening to Art Bell with my dad when I was just a kid. I tolerated the other guy for a while until he became a parody of himself a few years ago. When it was announced that Art was coming back on Sirius I waited like a kid on Christmas eve for that first show to begin and I was not disappointed.

Tonight I cancelled my Siruis subscription and it's back to "Somewhere In Time " and pirated old shows, it appears. The lady working for Sirius that I spoke with a few hours ago was very nice, but seemed flustered. Towards the end of our conversation she noted that she had dealt with a lot of cancellations this evening and wanted to be sure she had logged the reason for my cancellation.

I don't know if Art over played his hand, or if he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers and something else is in the works. Either way, nothing tarnishes the years of great radio and I wish him the best....even though he's left me with NOTHING worth listening to as far as live radio is concerned.